How to interpret N(d1) and N(d2) in Black Scholes Merton (FRM T4-12)

Sdílet
Vložit
  • čas přidán 20. 07. 2024
  • (my xls is here trtl.bz/2E8qsmw) N(d1) is the option's delta and N(d2) is the probability that a call option will be exercised; that is, N(d2) is the probability that S(T) will be greater than K.
    💡 Discuss this video here in the forum: trtl.bz/2Vw51kP
    👉 Subscribe here / bionicturtl. .
    to be notified of future tutorials on expert finance and data science, including the Financial Risk Manager (FRM), the Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA), and R Programming!
    ❓ If you have questions or want to discuss this video further, please visit our support forum (which has over 50,000 members) located at bionicturtle.com/forum
    🐢 You can also register as a member of our site (for free!) at www.bionicturtle.com/register/
    📧 Our email contact is support@bionicturtle.com (I can also be personally reached at davidh@bionicturtle.com)
    For other videos in our Financial Risk Manager (FRM) series, visit these playlists:
    Texas Instruments BA II+ Calculator
    czcams.com/users/playlist?list...
    Risk Foundations (FRM Topic 1)
    Quantitative Analysis (FRM Topic 2)
    Financial Markets and Products: Intro to Derivatives (FRM Topic 3, Hull Ch 1-7)
    Financial Markets and Products: Option Trading Strategies (FRM Topic 3, Hull Ch 10-12)
    FM&P: Intro to Derivatives: Exotic options (FRM Topic 3)
    Valuation and Risk Models (FRM Topic 4)
    Coming Soon ....
    Market Risk (FRM Topic 5)
    Credit Risk (FRM Topic 6)
    Operational Risk (FRM Topic 7)
    Investment Risk (FRM Topic 8)
    Current Issues (FRM Topic 9)
    For videos in our Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) series, visit these playlists:
    Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) Level 1 Volume 1
    #bionicturtle #risk #financialriskmanager #FRM #finance #expertfinance
    Our videos carefully comply with U.S. copyright law which we take seriously. Any third-party images used in this video honor their specific license agreements. We occasionally purchase images with our account under a royalty-free license at 123rf.com (see www.123rf.com/license.php); we also use free and purchased images from our account at canva.com (see about.canva.com/license-agree.... In particular, the new thumbnails are generated in canva.com. Please contact support@bionicturtle.com or davidh@bionicturtle.com if you have any questions, issues or concerns.

Komentáře • 39

• @Hamromerochannel
    @Hamromerochannel Před rokem

This was by far the best explanation of d1 and d2. Thank you

• @katienorris8341
    @katienorris8341 Před 2 lety

Thanks, this is a great explanation! Very helpful

• @speisequark2
    @speisequark2 Před 2 lety

Thank you so much! Your video helped me a lot!

• @tristanbosnyak8632
    @tristanbosnyak8632 Před rokem +2

this helped me on my journey to calculate my fathers monthly hair loss

• @ttijp153
    @ttijp153 Před 3 lety

Thank you so much professor! so helpful.

• @Alexander-pk1tu
    @Alexander-pk1tu Před 2 lety

thank you sir! I liked your video very much.

• @annabellam.4983
    @annabellam.4983 Před 5 lety +4

That uploaded excel sheet was super great!! Thanks a lot!

• @bionicturtle
      @bionicturtle  Před 5 lety

Thank you for watching! We are happy to hear that it was so helpful.

• @mff812
    @mff812 Před 4 lety

Very good effort Sir

• @penspinner
    @penspinner Před 2 lety

For the calculation of d1 and d2, does the So number in ln (So/k) change when dividend yield is introduced? In the GARP textbook it seems like it does not change for continuous dividend, but for discrete dividend they would replace So with (So - discounted discrete dividend).

• @bgvianyc
    @bgvianyc Před 3 lety

When returns are not normally distributed could one simply replace the normal distribution with the alternative distribution or are additional changes required to the formula?

• @ohad157
    @ohad157 Před 3 lety

I love it that you have a gamer's channel name

• @etenat8772
    @etenat8772 Před 5 lety +1

amazing explanation

• @riverallen1571
    @riverallen1571 Před 3 lety

Do you have any opinions on using delta as an approximation to probability of in the money?

• @ammadurrahman5321
    @ammadurrahman5321 Před rokem

awesome xplaination;;;;;

• @speisequark2
    @speisequark2 Před 2 lety

Is it ok to use a negative riskfree rate r in that model?

• @victorlh7417
    @victorlh7417 Před 4 lety

In the formula of d1 and d2 the part of (r + sd^2/2) T, what does that measures?

• @benpierce2202
    @benpierce2202 Před 3 měsíci

Which version of John Hull's book do you use for this example?

• @johnpalma7265
    @johnpalma7265 Před 4 lety

Nice

• @mitchellrosenthal6305
    @mitchellrosenthal6305 Před 4 lety

Can you explain what the terms inside of "d1" actually mean? I believe d1 is a Z-score of some type.

• @riverallen1571
      @riverallen1571 Před 3 lety +3

I recommend actually watching the video if you want to know what d1 means.

• @shahbazh2530
    @shahbazh2530 Před 2 lety

What is the sound of the cricket?

• @hernanalzate1582
    @hernanalzate1582 Před 3 měsíci

what a shame, the excel spreadsheet no longer exists!

• @jiaminzhu406
    @jiaminzhu406 Před 4 lety +1

Great explanation. I'm still a bit confused with N(d1), when you say the underwater price is counted as zero.
    If I denote p1 = N(d1) and p2=N(d2), and forget assume q and r are both zero, is it true that Sp1 = (S-K)p2 + K ?

• @richardreid8016
      @richardreid8016 Před 4 lety +2

I believe N(d2) is the probability that the option will end in the money and N(d1) is how far in the money will it end up.

• @user-xl9zo6rs5y
      @user-xl9zo6rs5y Před 6 měsíci

N(d1) is the conditional probability by assuming S>K and thus SN(d1) is the conditional expectation of S. Note that N(d1) would always bigger than N(d2) due to the conditional probabilities. Mathmatically, SN(d1) = E(S|S>K)*N(d2).

• @indradipbanerjee4013
    @indradipbanerjee4013 Před 5 lety +1

Should the stock be assumed to grow at the risk free rate or should the baseline be growth at cost of equity rate?

• @sigmamu6745
      @sigmamu6745 Před 4 lety

Stock grows at drift rate. Mu. Look it up.

• @TrangHuyen-vj3ne
    @TrangHuyen-vj3ne Před 5 lety

what is dividend yield in black scholes used for? can i find dividend yield in financial report of company?

• @etenat8772
      @etenat8772 Před 5 lety

you can calculate dividend yield yourself. it's dividend per share/price of stock. When dividends are paid out it reduces the stock price by that amount (assuming no frictions). this topic is about price appreciation so we need to consider how dividend payments restrict capital appreciation

• @tradegood
      @tradegood Před 5 lety

you can easily get it by: (cash dividend/current stock price) -> 10$/25$ = 40% DY. Dividend is usually a part of the profit that the company shares with its shareholders (approved during shareholder meeting)

• @johnpalma7265
      @johnpalma7265 Před 4 lety

Trang Huyen
      : Many of the Black Scholes videos don't include the dividend in the formula.The dividend sometimes denoted by (q) is included to get a more accurate result for d1 in cases where there is a dividend.

• @rejtinger
    @rejtinger Před 8 měsíci

if probability of option being exercised increases, the value of that option decreases.. that does not sound right, does it...(?)

• @hbahou
    @hbahou Před 5 lety

if N(d1) is the option's delta, why don't we just refer to it as 'delta' in the BSM formula instead of confusing everybody?

• @bionicturtle
      @bionicturtle  Před 5 lety +6

Sometimes words alone are confusing, when you really want to understand something or are quantitatively inclined. As a normal CDF, it has familiar properties, some discussed; e.g., it is a probability function. But "delta" by itself, could be ambiguous. The put option's delta, for example, is N(d1) - 1. If the stock pays a dividend, then "delta" is N(d1)*exp(-qt). I realize some people just want easy words because, you know, math is hard, but under your approach, people are likely to confuse all "deltas" with N(d1), or if the stock pays a dividend, to forget the delta is N(d1)*exp(-qt). So your approach would be more confusing IMO.

• @lawjef
    @lawjef Před 5 lety

I know you de-emphasized it in the sheet (denoted by the light grey font) but the "d2" formula is technically incorrect. The part on the far right "d1 - sigma * sqrt(T)" is correct, but the formula to the left of it should be "[formula that is already there] - sigma * sqrt(T)"

• @bionicturtle
      @bionicturtle  Před 5 lety +3

Actually the d1 and d2 are CORRECT. σ*sqrt(T) = σ^2*T/[σ*sqrt(T)], is how the (+σ^2/2) switches to a (-σ^2/2). But thanks for the feedback.