Three approaches to value at risk (VaR) and volatility (FRM T4-1)

SdĂ­let
VloĆŸit
  • čas pƙidĂĄn 4. 06. 2024
  • The three approaches are 1. Parametric; aka, analytical; 2. Historical simulation; and 3. Monte Carlo simulation (MCS). The parametric approach assumes a clean function, the other two work with messy data. Historical simulation is betrayed by a histogram, MCS is betrayed by a random number generator. In terms of the PARAMETRIC APPROACH (the 1st of three approaches), the key question is, "How do we estimate current volatility?" and we can take three basic approaches to this question.
    💡 Discuss this video here in our FRM forum: trtl.bz/2YBk9PM.
    👉 Subscribe here / bionicturtl. .
    to be notified of future tutorials on expert finance and data science, including the Financial Risk Manager (FRM), the Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA), and R Programming!
    ❓ If you have questions or want to discuss this video further, please visit our support forum (which has over 50,000 members) located at bionicturtle.com/forum
    🐱 You can also register as a member of our site (for free!) at www.bionicturtle.com/register/
    📧 Our email contact is support@bionicturtle.com (I can also be personally reached at davidh@bionicturtle.com)
    For other videos in our Financial Risk Manager (FRM) series, visit these playlists:
    Texas Instruments BA II+ Calculator
    czcams.com/users/playlist?list...
    Risk Foundations (FRM Topic 1)
    Quantitative Analysis (FRM Topic 2)
    Financial Markets and Products: Intro to Derivatives (FRM Topic 3, Hull Ch 1-7)
    Financial Markets and Products: Option Trading Strategies (FRM Topic 3, Hull Ch 10-12)
    FM&P: Intro to Derivatives: Exotic options (FRM Topic 3)
    Valuation and Risk Models (FRM Topic 4)
    Coming Soon ....
    Market Risk (FRM Topic 5)
    Credit Risk (FRM Topic 6)
    Operational Risk (FRM Topic 7)
    Investment Risk (FRM Topic 8)
    Current Issues (FRM Topic 9)
    For videos in our Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) series, visit these playlists:
    Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) Level 1 Volume 1
    #bionicturtle #risk #financialriskmanager #FRM #finance #expertfinance
    Our videos carefully comply with U.S. copyright law which we take seriously. Any third-party images used in this video honor their specific license agreements. We occasionally purchase images with our account under a royalty-free license at 123rf.com (see www.123rf.com/license.php); we also use free and purchased images from our account at canva.com (see about.canva.com/license-agree.... In particular, the new thumbnails are generated in canva.com. Please contact support@bionicturtle.com or davidh@bionicturtle.com if you have any questions, issues or concerns.

Komentáƙe • 18

• @rodlu811
    @rodlu811 Pƙed 3 lety

Never seen someone explain this hard subject with so much clarity and simplicity.

• @samrathore9396
    @samrathore9396 Pƙed 5 lety +3

Very well explained, its actually tough to explain the mathematical functions using the principles and concepts.

• @HARSHBENIWAL23
    @HARSHBENIWAL23 Pƙed 4 lety +1

I was stuck on this chapter for so... Thanks David for helping me out!!
    Kudos!!

• @bionicturtle
      @bionicturtle  Pƙed 4 lety

You're welcome! We are glad that our video was so helpful :)

• @Small1400
    @Small1400 Pƙed 3 lety +1

Great videos! I was wondering what the best, most appropriate, approach would be to calculate volatility and eventually VaR in electricity markets, where often times prices are negative. Thanks in advance!

• @yvesprimeau6031
    @yvesprimeau6031 Pƙed 4 lety

Exellent explanation. The diagram of volatility help me to get the big picture of the concept. I suggest more diagrams too help us to visualize all the concepts of FRM at large....

• @jaylev85
    @jaylev85 Pƙed 3 lety

Have you posted any videos that discuss Cholesky decomposition? more specifically the procedure for generating correlated variables from independent Rho's to fatten the tails. I think this is a technique that attemps to sovle some of the limitations of the Var-Covar approach (i.e. the "parameteric" or "historical method" mentioned above).

• @adventuresunlimited4483
    @adventuresunlimited4483 Pƙed 3 lety

Amazing Videos.I referred to many sources but this is the first time I understood the concept. Is there an excel sheet for Monte Carlo VaR calculation ?

• @ntcuong01ct1
    @ntcuong01ct1 Pƙed 3 lety

Hello friends,
    I have a few questions:
    1 / Risks will be specified after we have identified the audience, objectives, and operational processes ?.
    2 / Risk will be directly integrated into the business process ?.
    3 / The Risk department is responsible for determining the VaR (Value at Risk) and presenting it to the Board of Directors seeing the risks and proactively preventing them?
    4 / Actively preventing risks will help us improve the value of products / services to customers?

• @viciousbeats8510
    @viciousbeats8510 Pƙed 3 měsĂ­ci

Is "r" interpreted as returns squared or (return minus mean of returns) squared?

• @lmagz84
    @lmagz84 Pƙed 2 lety

How can we measure it using eviews

• @aslivinschi
    @aslivinschi Pƙed 2 lety

Dear professor, what about if I want to understand at 95% confidence what could be my best results instead of the risk of lost.?

• @bionicturtle
      @bionicturtle  Pƙed 2 lety +1

Hi @Alexel maybe due to language differences, I cannot understand your question (apologies). This video reviews the three basic approaches to VaR, and VaR is the statistical way to answer "What is the worst expected loss with 9X% confidence?" Thanks,

• @aslivinschi
      @aslivinschi Pƙed 2 lety +1

@@bionicturtle many thanks! I am looking at the gains instead of losses, is kind of a reverse of VAR. I am trying to figure out at 90% confidence interval the minimum amount to gain instead of loosing. So, I done this formula for the min gains =Mean + (Std * Z-Stat) instead of doing as usual for the VAR= Mean - (STD *Z-Stat). I just changed the sign to plus, is that enough?

• @bionicturtle
      @bionicturtle  Pƙed 2 lety +1

@@aslivinschi Oh, okay, yes sure you can do that! Maybe we call it "value at [to] gain"? aka, VaG. It would be similarly one-sided such that, if normal, at 95.0% Z = +1.645. And you would add the mean, just as you show, where your format is implicitly P(+)/L(-) which is natural math, gains are positive. So looks good to me

• @aslivinschi
      @aslivinschi Pƙed 2 lety

@@bionicturtle you are amazing. Thanks David

• @somebody5186
    @somebody5186 Pƙed 2 měsĂ­ci

Too much words. As for me.