Material Design Layers & Shadows in After Effects (Light Tool Tutorial) - T013

Sdílet
Vložit
  • čas přidán 15. 12. 2015
  • In this After Effects motion graphic tutorial we are going to be taking a look at how to leverage the power of the light tool to give shadows and complexity to your project. This is essentially a tutorial on how to reproduce Material Design (Google) lighting in After Effects.
    ● Main Channel - czcams.com/users/MTR702?s...
    ● My Twitter - / mikeinhd
    ● My Instagram - / mikeinhd
    ● My Facebook - / mikeinhd
    Ambiment - The Ambient by Kevin MacLeod is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution license (creativecommons.org/licenses/...)
    Source: incompetech.com/music/royalty-...
    Artist: incompetech.com/
    Workstation:
    Intel i7 4790 @ 3.60GHz
    PNY GeForce GTX 770 w/ 4Gb ram
    32Gb DDR3 @ 2400GHz
    500GB Samsung Solid State HHD
    2TB Standard Drive
    MSi Z97-G55 Motherboard
    I record with GeForce Shadowplay
    Motion Tool: www.mtmograph.com/motion/
    Adobe After Effects is a digital visual effects, motion graphics, and compositing application developed by Adobe Systems and used in the post-production process of film making and television production. Among other things, After Effects can be used for keying, tracking, compositing and animation. It also functions as a very basic non-linear editor, audio editor and media transcoder.
    Editor's Note:
    I hope you enjoyed this video and learned a thing or two about how to use lighting in after effects. Lights in after effects 2017 are great because they give you an alternative to the standard after effects drop shadow tutorial in after effects. The light tool is something that everyone should get their hands on and is essential for creating material design elements in after effects (material design templates / material design intro animations).

Komentáře • 78

• @blu3_enjoy
    @blu3_enjoy Před 5 lety +6

I love your use of background music, many people get it wrong and sometimes its nice to have some backing when listening to someone talk and teach, nice job

• @You_Tech
    @You_Tech Před 7 lety +2

watched this tutorial around 1 year ago, didn't know after effects then. but now I know AE and so came back here again. Thanks dude for awesome tutorial.

• @dagmawitadesse5193
    @dagmawitadesse5193 Před 2 lety

Thank you!! You teach a lot better than those youtubers who show us how they do their work rather than teaching how you can apply it to any kind of thing.

• @tofutomatosauce3307
    @tofutomatosauce3307 Před 8 lety

Very impressive. I love it, look so smooth!

• @legrainproduction2760
    @legrainproduction2760 Před 8 lety

great !! thank you for all your inspiring and helpfull work

• @matairae5270
    @matairae5270 Před 7 lety +1

Your voice is very easy to listen to. thanks for the tutorial

• @baudopl1
    @baudopl1 Před 6 lety

very nice tutorial, thanks for sharing

• @mattyelneri6066
    @mattyelneri6066 Před 5 lety

i realy love your lectures, your tuts are good

• @nervinated
    @nervinated Před 2 lety

Nice tutorial, i like the way how you explain ❤️

• @DailyTuition
    @DailyTuition Před 6 lety

Best video sir...!

• @moral0fthestory
    @moral0fthestory Před 5 lety

Thanks Ed!

• @gabyspeedx
    @gabyspeedx Před 7 lety

Super Cool

• @tando6739
    @tando6739 Před 8 lety

Very nice tutorial! Thank you!

• @rohhborges20
    @rohhborges20 Před 3 lety

Hey man, nice tutorial and nice background music

• @childreaction3d
    @childreaction3d Před 2 lety

Thank you❤

• @craftycurate
    @craftycurate Před 5 lety

Useful thanks! Have been wondering how to set up a kind of studio lighting rig for mograph work, but hadn't thought to use a spot with wide cone as the main light source.

• @hardboiled2000
    @hardboiled2000 Před 6 lety

Awesome tutorial

• @BenMode
    @BenMode Před 7 lety

Subscribed! Good job mate. :)

• @lashachan
    @lashachan Před 8 lety

Amazing

• @unkee77
    @unkee77 Před 8 lety

Hi Mike great tutorial. I just found your channel. Really nicely done and well explained too. Thanks a lot. Also big thumbs up to Motion 2 too. Matt (MtMograph) did a great job with that, love it.

• @Aramazd9999
    @Aramazd9999 Před 6 lety

Thank you very much i didnt mind that 3D is this kind of easy . :D

• @honerzawita8024
    @honerzawita8024 Před 6 lety

great video

• @rvse2033
    @rvse2033 Před 5 lety

tysmmm

• @alrojo4057
    @alrojo4057 Před 7 lety

thnx

• @rottoyproduction
    @rottoyproduction Před 8 lety +7

very nice tutorial 👌

• @moboxgraphics
      @moboxgraphics  Před 8 lety +1

+Rotoy Productions Thanks!

• @zarrar7133
      @zarrar7133 Před 8 lety

+Mobox Motion Graphic Tutorials can it use in green screen .

• @chaeimg
    @chaeimg Před 8 lety

Don't worry man, my head was hurting too! This is the first tutorial of yours I've run through and I love how concise you are with your script. Great job!

• @moboxgraphics
      @moboxgraphics  Před 8 lety

+Micah Gibson Yeah, I try and keep them concise with small chunks of useful information so people are always learning something interesting even if they aren't complete beginners. But it is really easy to get confused with layers, especially if you don't name them properly.

• @chaeimg
      @chaeimg Před 8 lety

Mobox Motion Graphic Tutorials​One thing I am wondering is do you know of a way to render a composition with normal 1080p quality, but smaller file sizes? This render for me was 5.71 GB

• @MTR702
      @MTR702 Před 8 lety

+Micah Gibson Yeah, so you're likely rendering in "Lossless" with a .AVI file (or something like that). Although loss less is really god for high quality footage, it's a total storage hog. I recommend changing the codec to something such as H.243 (i think that's the name). In fact, I'll make a video about this exact topic.

• @chaeimg
      @chaeimg Před 8 lety

***** Thanks man! I figured out that I had to install Quicktime and use the H.264 codec. The file size was reduced to about 100 MB.... Thanks though!

• @KeenanDailey
    @KeenanDailey Před 7 lety

Hey how can I replicate the art deco vintage style used in Parallel studios unsatisfying video.

• @user-un7iu7xh6f
    @user-un7iu7xh6f Před 7 lety

You are a beautiful person
    thanks for your efforts
    .... Oh God, explain my chest

• @andyhammond
    @andyhammond Před 8 lety

Love it. As someone fairly new to AE and motion graphics, these tutorials are great. Sometimes it can get discouraging. last month I did rarely nothing, now i feel like im behind! I've wanted to check out some animation bootcamps, however i cannot afford it. I am thankful for great quality tutorials such as these :) thanks!

• @user-un7iu7xh6f
    @user-un7iu7xh6f Před 7 lety

I am honored to participate

• @lninjal2477
    @lninjal2477 Před 8 lety

that looks like it could make a sick intro

• @moboxgraphics
      @moboxgraphics  Před 8 lety +1

+l Ninja l Yeah there are a lot of potential uses for this technique.

• @babulsingh7521
    @babulsingh7521 Před 4 lety

Gradient in thumnail was really impressive I mean there was no colour bending

• @lyj8890851
    @lyj8890851 Před 7 lety

In fact, you can copy the three card layers, thus forming a cycle, not afraid of confusion.

• @viraj24_
    @viraj24_ Před 8 lety

Nice One (Y)

• @strawberrylattegacha4628

I’m gonna get AE for my bday so that’s why I’m watching all this stuffs

• @guacamoledae
      @guacamoledae Před 5 lety

Strawberry Latte Gacha why not get it for free🗿

• @limboreversible
    @limboreversible Před 7 lety +1

hey what is the Motion 2 palette you have on the left ? I think you mention it at some point in the video. Can you expand on that ? Thanks !

• @KevinVuPham
    @KevinVuPham Před 8 lety +1

thanks for this great tutorial!
    I have a question though, how does it come that in my after effects when i cast shadows the shapes begin to have thin black striped instead of shadows :O

• @JaxShores
      @JaxShores Před 7 lety

I have the same issue... anyone have advice here?

• @MrGaliho
      @MrGaliho Před 7 lety

decrease shadow darkness into 50 % ?

• @NeverStrikeTwice
      @NeverStrikeTwice Před 7 lety +2

Only a year late here, but it's because all of your objects are in the same Z position. Basically the objects you want to cast shadows on eachother are colliding (hence no shadows). Simply move the objects back or forward in space (Z-Position) and they'll create shadows.

• @jesser110
    @jesser110 Před 6 lety

When I put a light ontop and check the right settings etc, a blur shape I use has a darker color around the edges of the top surface instead of just a shadow behind it, do you know how to fix that?

• @martinfunkquist5342
      @martinfunkquist5342 Před 6 lety

I have the same problem

• @leoLorenzi
      @leoLorenzi Před 5 lety

Increase the light diffusion and decrease the opacity. Adjust ur settings to fit his, for some reason its not the same for some users.

• @adlanadrians6398
    @adlanadrians6398 Před 3 lety

How to add a motion tab like that?

• @francimotta7199
    @francimotta7199 Před 4 lety +5

Hi there. When i turn cast shadows on, shadows do not appear. What could it be?

• @paulvassar2271
      @paulvassar2271 Před 4 lety

I had the same problem, but i fixed it by going to the light layer > light options > casts shadows and turning it on, its weird

• @paulvassar2271
      @paulvassar2271 Před 4 lety +1

oh wait, thats wrong, you actually have to double click light layer and check the shadow box my bad

• @markchadwick77
    @markchadwick77 Před 6 lety

+Mobox I looking at replicating Google's material design concepts in AE. Did you find this method easier/better than using the AE template provided by Google?

• @moboxgraphics
      @moboxgraphics  Před 6 lety +1

I was unaware of a template provided by Google. I would guess that their template would better simulate material design. But this is a good template for a few aspects of material design.

• @markchadwick77
      @markchadwick77 Před 6 lety +1

First, I very much enjoyed the video and have subscribed. Here is the link to the templates (they call it "sticker sheets"). They provide presets for setting the shadows in 2D.
      material.io/guidelines/resources/sticker-sheets-icons.html

• @Yungnicki
    @Yungnicki Před 7 lety

You are a fucking genius i fucking love you

• @ChristopherWatsonViolin

My light doesn't go beyond the shape borders for some reason. Anyone know how to change this?

• @dostonabdullayev8153
    @dostonabdullayev8153 Před rokem

👍👍👍👍👍👍👍

• @polloloco6353
    @polloloco6353 Před 2 lety

Don't appears the material options in a 3d composition layer... in a 3d shape layer, yes, but in a 3d composition layer, not... Why..? Thanks in advance.

• @polloloco6353
      @polloloco6353 Před 2 lety

Solved: Icon beside icon shy should be disabled (icon on mouse over= For comp layer: collapse transformations)(the icon looks like a star ) Disabled for comps and a material options appear.

• @Spectro77
    @Spectro77 Před 5 lety

it's doesn't working for me, I have gtx 1050 ti

• @danielwilliams3977
    @danielwilliams3977 Před 8 lety

Nice tutorial, but couldn't you've just use a camera in after effects and change the camera's position? It seems that that way would've saved time

• @limboreversible
      @limboreversible Před 7 lety +1

null object acts as camera in that case. no need for more than a null for that stuff really

• @gamesolctk
    @gamesolctk Před 8 lety

Make a Android Material Design Tutorial.....

• @thesewinganarchist6389

I need more practice... I followed the steps (though simplified with just one rectangle) and I still have no shadows...

• @aliw4844
    @aliw4844 Před 6 lety

Tutorial is fine but it's hard to understand as a beginner.

• @kalleklartauf8587
    @kalleklartauf8587 Před 5 lety

Dont do Tutorials if you dont know what you're doing. Thats not how After effects Work

• @diegosandoval9892
      @diegosandoval9892 Před 5 lety +1

yeah like was he asking or telling us? If u gonna make a tutorial, you have to know and be confident about what you're doing. This guy is just playing around.