Repairing Stuck Brake Calipers: Honda VT1100

Sdílet
Vložit
  • čas přidán 8. 06. 2024
  • Motorcycle brakes are the life line to your safety on the road. In this video we dive into how to proper clean out and lube up an entire brake caliper. Step by step.
    We run into a couple of very common issues with this bike.
    It sat for an extended time, brake fluid was bad, brake caliper was not releasing and we saw how some seals began to leak.
    My goal in this video is to provide you with 100% accurate service tips and tricks when it come to your bikes brakes. Hope this helps!
    ENJOY!
    Parts numbers used for this model: 1993 VT1100c
    (Check out your local friendly Honda shop or www.hondapartsnation.com)
    Brake Pads : 43105-MB4-017
    Caliper Piston seals : 06451-166-405
    Pin Boot: 45133-166-016
    Pin sleeve: 45111-MA3-006
    Banjo Bolt Crush Washer: 90545-300-000
    Tool used:
    Reverse Duckbill Pliers-
    amzn.to/2pg6i1s
    Water resistant grease-
    amzn.to/2xigjQ4
    Pick Set-
    amzn.to/2QCdtxu
    Brake contact cleaner-
    amzn.to/2xfLrQo
    ►► Grab my FREE troubleshooting cheat sheet to help out with common issues on your motorcycle → www.themotorcyclemd.com/
    LIKE SHARE AND SUBSCRIBE!
    Need help with your bike?
    Check out the INNER CIRCLE and join the community
    www.themotorcyclemd.com/mcmd-...
    Grab your free troubleshooting cheatsheet here:
    www.themotorcyclemd.com/
    Need Carburetor teardown and cleaning videos?
    www.themotorcyclemd.com/premi...
    Support Motorcycle MD and pick up the NEWEST Shirt design. Artwork and printing all locally done!
    motorcyclemd.com/shop/
    Try out some of my favorite GRIPCLEAN products at www.gripclean.com/
    @Grip Clean Heavy Duty Hand Cleaner
    USE CODE “ MOTOMD “ AT CHECKOUT FOR 10% OFF ENTIRE ORDER!
  • Auta a dopravní prostředky

Komentáře • 180

• @bentechautomation1176
    @bentechautomation1176 Před 3 lety +7

"Motorcycle brakes are the life line to your safety on the road". Its your quote Mr.MD, to the conscious of your quote your explanation was splendid. I am from India, your way of approach towards cleaning and servicing was truly professional. Thankyou.

• @zrkn1
    @zrkn1 Před 5 lety +36

Free schooling for the financially challenged old man and I really appreciate and LOVE IT. Thank You

• @JoshuuaLee
    @JoshuuaLee Před rokem +8

This is one of the best mc maintenance videos I have ever seen. Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge and professional demonstrations !

• @TheSleeperism
    @TheSleeperism Před 5 lety +4

Thanks for the info man! I've been fighting my 83' kz1100 calipers for a good while... - I cleaned up my entire calipers three times and it was still sticking. Until I watched your video I didn't realize that the calipers were supposed to move freely on those pens, LOL - now everything's in good working condition! You made a lifetime subscriber out of me thanks again man!

• @timfisher3272
    @timfisher3272 Před 4 lety +4

Finally a guy with the quick get your bike off the road fix on your front brakes locked up tigh!! Great job!!

• @andrewgross7563
    @andrewgross7563 Před 2 lety

The old hydraulic systems on my bike have been giving me fits constantly, and every time I get to your videos it really gets the attention to detail that I need to actually fix the problems. I want to make a hobby of restoring these 10k mile gems.

• @arunprassath5360
    @arunprassath5360 Před 24 dny

Man with cool beard saved my life.. great!

• @SBKPete
    @SBKPete Před 5 lety +3

Hi from the UK Cody, Thank you for uploading this and all the rest of your videos; they’re so helpful and have given me the confidence to take on tasks that I would have paid my local Honda dealer to do.
    Keep up the great work 👏🏻

• @falklandsgeorge
    @falklandsgeorge Před 4 lety +1

now that's what I call instruction, awesome technique man. Loved it. Africa twin classic, new Zealand bro...

• @orlandokaraoke3002
    @orlandokaraoke3002 Před 3 lety

Thanks so much for this video. I've cleaned mine up a couple of times and gotten it to work better for the time being. One piston still sticks and doesn't move as well as the other. Been avoiding rebuilding it and spent hours trying to just buy a new one. Well 1985 came and went leaving us with no new replacements today. So after seeing the video I feel confident in buying a kit and rebuilding mine. Cheers.

• @Ab74co
    @Ab74co Před 4 lety

Great video! I'm working on a 2005ttrlw and have never done this type of year down before. All you said worked like a charm! Good thing you mentioned the air trick after it's been removed or I would of never got it done! Keep up the great vids...

• @kevinmccann3483
    @kevinmccann3483 Před 2 lety

Thanks Cody . Found you in a search on for a caliper rebuild . Nervous about doing it but you make it look easy . Will be attempting soon

• @cameronholloway1530
    @cameronholloway1530 Před 4 lety +4

That tip about compressing the brake caliper was exactly what i was looking for, its the little things that make your vids awesome.

• @RaulMotoADV
    @RaulMotoADV Před 2 lety

Man, this is the best brake maintenance video on yt. Thanks and regards from Chile 🤟🏽

• @Horrented
    @Horrented Před 4 lety

you SIR have saved my alot time lol and effort on cleaning those dam pistons , bought a 99 Suzuki savage that was poorly maintained and found out the pistons where bone dry and stuck and this video helped out alot ! thanks man !

• @bigtoe4411
    @bigtoe4411 Před 4 lety +1

You are the man. Details that matter and tips from experience. Thanks definitely valuable info.

• @russdarrow9470
    @russdarrow9470 Před 2 lety

I'm glad I found your site , I have brake trouble on my 83 Yamaha xvz1200 no one wants to look at it , now i can do it ..

• @archygrey9093
    @archygrey9093 Před 4 lety +6

Loosening everything before removing the calipers definitely an important tip, i ended up having to bolt the caliper back on just to do it

• @KatInkura
    @KatInkura Před rokem

Just got an '03 R6, this'll help immensely! wonderfully informational, thank you

• @digger8180
    @digger8180 Před 5 lety +4

Thank you for the break tare down advice, best on the net. Keep it real as you always have.
    Your a Gent.

• @RickyMorrison
    @RickyMorrison Před 3 měsíci

another great video. keep them up! this was a great help for my 4 stuck pistons

• @JustPlainCommonSense
    @JustPlainCommonSense Před 4 lety

Great job Cody R. You really made it look simple.

• @michaelandmariedownes6070
    @michaelandmariedownes6070 Před 6 měsíci +1

Thank you, your info was most helpful with doing up the brakes on an old Yamaha TT350 - good job !!

• @NickYack
    @NickYack Před 2 lety +1

Great video, thanks for all the tips. Everything I need in one video!

• @walterwilliams6043
    @walterwilliams6043 Před 5 lety

Have an ole 1983 gl1100 Aspencade with the same issue I’ll soon be working on, great video, thanks!

• @thesingerscornerblog187

Excellent video! Great quality instruction! Thanks Cody!

• @corriedotdev
    @corriedotdev Před rokem

dude this video is sick, youre talking your engineer brain and im so here for it. Was charged like £120 for seized calipers the other day and was curious.

• @MrMtz817
    @MrMtz817 Před 2 lety

I’m confident I can do this to my motor scoot after watching this video! Thanks homie, from Dallas/ft. Worth texas

• @Gr33nSh4rk
    @Gr33nSh4rk Před 3 lety

Just like mine, same model. Going to change brake pads today.
    Good tips, Appreciate it

• @fredlewis4432
    @fredlewis4432 Před 5 lety

Your the Best An Absolute Excellent video on brake Calipers Keep up the good work Thanks for teaching me something new.

• @rabbbie99
    @rabbbie99 Před 4 lety +1

Great video. I haven’t seen a bleed nipple with an o ring on any of my bikes or cars before! That would certainly help when using a vacuum bleeder kit to avoid pulling air past the threads.

• @scrutch48
    @scrutch48 Před 4 lety +1

You're video was great and you sure know what you're doing. Thanks a million.

• @bullchef8739
    @bullchef8739 Před 5 lety

Thanks helps me allot on what to do with my rear brake caliper

• @rubennalbandian2803
    @rubennalbandian2803 Před 3 lety +2

Thank you for informal video, I learned a lot.
    I had a car that brake pads was getting worn on one side and I did not know why, Now I do

• @Sam_ChristSaves
    @Sam_ChristSaves Před 4 lety +1

cleaned brakes like you recommended and they're like new. You da man! Whooo whooo. .

• @MyRp123
    @MyRp123 Před 4 lety

Great Video! Just what my old XR needed. Thank you.

• @wombatmoto1938
    @wombatmoto1938 Před 5 lety +1

Saving my next oil jug to cut open. Glad yr back, intro looks great

• @2wheelphotog119
    @2wheelphotog119 Před 4 lety +1

Now I am ready to rebuild my grinding caliper!

• @JshMusician
    @JshMusician Před 4 lety +1

You saved my life, man. Thanks

• @johnreeves6854
    @johnreeves6854 Před 2 lety

Thanks again man love learning something new espec when comes to my bike I need to totally change my fluid dont have to its just been 6 years prob since done it I'll ve watching that video my bike has linked brake system but should be to much diff really thanks great video and info

• @lequang2296
    @lequang2296 Před 3 lety +1

All I can say You are Pro. great clip for sharing
    Excellent instructions
    Like it !

• @altomar718
    @altomar718 Před 3 lety

Great video - Thanks for taking the time to make it

• @floydwilcox2640
    @floydwilcox2640 Před 2 lety

Very thorough job, well done 👍

• @neilpinkett
    @neilpinkett Před 4 lety

cheers sir, i was looking re the bottom spring plate.. you answerd it perfect.

• @PMLRoseval
    @PMLRoseval Před 3 lety

Cody...most useful information. Love the video. Thnx.

• @johnreeves6854

So glad found this I just did my front on my bike and as I road it felt like its dragging tonight raised front and redid thinking I might of messed up but put back and its better but still not right im goin to rebuild I think if this does not work thanks for video

• @KrockTheIndigo
    @KrockTheIndigo Před 3 lety

Was told to grease "everything" by another channel, glad I caught this'

• @marcellvisball
    @marcellvisball Před 4 lety

Excellent! Just what I was looking for. THx

• @rickjenkins7204
    @rickjenkins7204 Před rokem

Great video dude…I know exactly what I need to do now!
    Thanks man!

• @shovelhead4558
    @shovelhead4558 Před 3 lety

Thanks you covered it well into the garage i go.

•  Před 10 měsíci

Perfect, partner..!!
    Kind Regards from Brazil.

• @raptorgamer8878
    @raptorgamer8878 Před 5 lety +1

Love watching your videos

• @raptorgamer8878
      @raptorgamer8878 Před 5 lety

MY first bike i picked it up this year was 85 honda saber v65. I rebuilt the carbs that was fun lol only did it AFTER watching literally all of your youtube videos. Tips helped out a lot in the process of that. Many other neglected item's. On the bike i have too replace and or rebuild. All in all very soild bike. Only rust is in the battery box.

• @MadOldBiker
    @MadOldBiker Před 2 lety

excellent video mate - thanks

• @bjrnarwiig6639
    @bjrnarwiig6639 Před 3 lety

Awesome. Thank you very much for great informations. Very helpful.

• @ciarancleare6139
    @ciarancleare6139 Před rokem

That's a great tutorial - thank you.

• @fallenj8945
    @fallenj8945 Před 3 lety

I live in Portsmouth , great VID

• @dinakarsoul
    @dinakarsoul Před 2 lety

Great video with lots of tips👌

• @mikekurtz627
    @mikekurtz627 Před 4 lety +1

Very very helpful thank you!!!

• @digger8180
    @digger8180 Před 5 lety

Again great instructed how to. I known most won't have but putting the calipair in an ultrasonic bath, would that be safer for the seal lands ?

• @jacob-no4tf
    @jacob-no4tf Před rokem

nice job. very very usefull.

• @roberttomek6416
    @roberttomek6416 Před 3 lety

well illustrated an informative
    tonss of lesson learned

• @GavsGutters
    @GavsGutters Před 4 lety

Very informative video thanks it helped alot...subbed

• @robertwoods2505
    @robertwoods2505 Před 3 lety

Great vid, thank you for sharing bro!

• @8788luigi
    @8788luigi Před 4 lety +2

the piston seal used here in a honda twin piston caliper is the same as the honda city car caliper.

• @TheCaffeineRacer
    @TheCaffeineRacer Před 5 lety

As always super useful your like the yoda of bikes dude :)

• @chapterk-2586
    @chapterk-2586 Před 5 lety +1

great job

• @bbasham3160
    @bbasham3160 Před 4 lety

Awesome Information...Thanks!!!

• @ljbonner
    @ljbonner Před 4 lety

Great tutorial. Thanks.

• @Palmit_
    @Palmit_ Před 11 měsíci

nice full vid. I subscribed

• @juanpablogarcesramirez130

Great vid brotha 👌🏾

• @tiktoktiktok9308
    @tiktoktiktok9308 Před 2 lety

Good work !!!

• @jimflammer9370
    @jimflammer9370 Před 4 lety

Great videos, thanks

• @MrJimmysko
    @MrJimmysko Před 2 lety

Hey,very useful video as I'm probably facing the same problem with twin piston floating calipers and I'm pretty sure it's the sliding pin that's stuck on the left caliper.Do you think that could cause pulsing on the lever as I'm applying the brakes?Because my rotors are pretty much new still,as I've replaced them just this December.Any advice would be much appreciated.Thanks!

• @patwrenching9674
    @patwrenching9674 Před rokem

great video. Where do you get the brake hose clamp?

• @mitchw3768
    @mitchw3768 Před 4 lety

Can you provide a link for that mac hose clamp please. Your video is very helpful thank you so much

• @veselinkashilski7890
    @veselinkashilski7890 Před 3 lety

Great video! Thanks!

• @Stone-sx2cz
    @Stone-sx2cz Před 2 lety

Very beautiful

• @randall3785
    @randall3785 Před 4 lety

You have new subscriber, good job. Would you use a Dremmel to clean out the caliper housing? I think I’ve seen synthetic bristle wheels? I have some brass wire wheels? Would that damage the surface? Thanks

• @geoffhughes2804
    @geoffhughes2804 Před rokem

Thank you very much pal

• @BraeCruz
    @BraeCruz Před 4 lety

Hey, thanks for this vid. It was really helpful. I am having one issue though... so Idk whats wrong exactly, but those rubber seals WILL NOT go back in. I took them out, washed the calipers, and tried putting them back in and it just will not happen. Do I need to get new seals, or is there some sort of method you have to use or something? I gave it to other people too to try and nobody could do it. Please heellpppp

• @koedypaslay2208
    @koedypaslay2208 Před 5 lety

Great job

• @langstoy
    @langstoy Před 5 lety +1

Thank-You Sir!

• @theenduropest
    @theenduropest Před 2 lety

Great info 🤙

• @famillebussieres-mainville4831

I need to get a pair of those reverse pliers My pistons are completely stuck!

• @johnreeves6854

Question I have lots of gun cleaning tools most are really hard plastic pics and stiff plastic brushes you think that would be fine with out damaging anything I have 98 vfr800fi my girl had more then 16 years never any issues changed brakes and I feel the front slight dragging after watching this im goin to rebuild them not hard and its prob way over due honestly thanks for the breakdown hope the plastic pics will work ok

• @sarag1158
    @sarag1158 Před 3 lety +1

I got stuck when my bike was hot and my brakes seized backing out of a parking spot. Hitting the caliper works!
    Great video. Now I'm working on rebuilding a salvaged second set of calipers.
    This covers everything. I'm going to definitely need a hair dryer to get the slide pins loose.

• @MizMods
    @MizMods Před 4 lety

I recently had to rebuild a 81 kz750 caliper and it looked like someone had took a flathead screwdriver and started hit it with a hammer to free up the piston -.- ruined the piston.
    Currently still in the process of restoring the bike :)
    It's got the full touring setup from vetter fairings.

• @johncarlson8029
    @johncarlson8029 Před 4 lety

Also to remove brake caliper pistons that are really bad I have used a grease gun on the the bleeder valve?? Works for me!

• @blownbudgethondas1086
    @blownbudgethondas1086 Před 5 lety +3

Ive put a front brake lever on my dirtbike and it draged a tiny bit so i thought it would self clear on the pads by boy was i wrong, i didnt consider that brake fluid expands with heat so as the brake was draging it was actually applying more pressure cause even more heat and i went over the bars in about 4-5 mins of riding

• @juliansmith8839
    @juliansmith8839 Před 4 lety +1

So good Thankyou very very muc

• @AlexKost-tq6bj
    @AlexKost-tq6bj Před 7 měsíci

Would you recommend getting the old fluid out of the system before reconnecting the cleaned/overhauled caliper? Feels like pumping the old fluid into the clean caliper just risks introducing contaminates, no?

• @David92SJG
    @David92SJG Před 19 dny

Boss man! I recently rebuilt my 93 honda shadow vt1100 master cylinder. New plunger with seals already installed, spring, bowl, and c clip, and rubber seal. When I put jt together it's leaking! This is my second kit and it keeps leaking from the dust boot side. Do you think there's something I'm doing wrong? Or is there something I'm missing? I was careful to put it in the way it came out

• @AlexKost-tq6bj
    @AlexKost-tq6bj Před 7 měsíci

Would you recommend getting the seals wet with brake fluid BEFORE inserting them? I'm guessing you want them to be lubricated on both the caliper body side and piston side? Or it doesn't matter seeing as they'll get soaked with fluid anyway once the caliper is filled with fluid?

• @banzobeans
    @banzobeans Před 4 měsíci +1

27:18 "not a lot to it" "super simple" 🤣😂🤣😆

• @dangrigorie9782
    @dangrigorie9782 Před 4 lety

Hello, i have a honda shadow srx 50cc. it is normal that after a certain distance, the brake disc and the stirrup are hot, under normal conditions of use of the brake. the wheel has relative mobility when spinning and when a spin is heard there is a slight noise, a hum. ? thank you !

• @jackrider798
    @jackrider798 Před 4 lety

awesome! thanks man

• @azazelakira12
    @azazelakira12 Před rokem

Hello, I send my calipers to get chrome plated and now they jump a lot, do you think I have to get the tolerances reset?

• @CarlosGarcia-ls4hn
    @CarlosGarcia-ls4hn Před 4 měsíci

Would bad/corroded pistons inside the caliper prevent it from being bled?

• @Labgorilla
    @Labgorilla Před 2 lety

So some rubbing is normal ? My wheel does rotate but is definitely not completely free. Wonder if that’s ok

• @briantremblay9157
    @briantremblay9157 Před dnem

So I went to clean up my caliper, The bolts are seized up, I thought about heating the caliper but don't want to ruin my paint? have you got any tricks to get them out?