How to measure slave cylinder to clutch pressure plate clearance on LS1/T56

Sdílet
Vložit
  • čas přidán 31. 07. 2017
  • Made this video to show the method I use for checking the slave to pressure plate clearance on an LS1/T56 setup. This distance will let you know if you need to shim your clutch or not. Generally if you have much over 1/4" difference between the slave and pressure plate, you'll want to add a shim to get you back down to around that 1/4" number. I was a bit shaky in the video, but when I had measured previously I came up with .28" which is almost exactly 1/4" and would be perfect. Anyways, thanks for watching!
  • Auta a dopravní prostředky

Komentáře • 40

• @blackbelt0555
    @blackbelt0555 Před 4 lety +1

Thanks transaman305 for the video. I'm switching over for a McLeod hydraulic bearing, to a factory GM for my 98-02 Camaro T56. This is an unusual car, paring up a small block Ford, 351C to the Camaro T56. So, I was really needing some intel on the factory bearing and your video was right there where I needed it. Haven't ordered the parts yet so was good to see how the bearing comes apart and how to measure everything out. There is a fair amount of conflicting info out there on the "air gap". Your 1/4" max is one train of thought. Others say 1/16"-1/8". This will be a weekend toy car so, don't anticipate a ton of clutch wear any time soon. So the 1/8" might work for a few years. But would be nice to not have issues at all. I'll see where all the parts measure up and make a call on shims or not. But again, really appreciate the video.

• @ruppyhouse
    @ruppyhouse Před 5 lety +1

I fell for the minimal clearance trap.(80 thou) Now I know why a year later I had no clearance. Thanks for sharing.

• @artlife6210
    @artlife6210 Před 5 lety +2

Great concise informative video, to the point man, cheers!

• @TheDesiOS
    @TheDesiOS Před 6 lety +3

Just to help the measuring tool is digital vernier calliper. The Slave cylinder is also known as Hydraulic throw out bearing. Very good guide.

• @transamman305
      @transamman305  Před 6 lety

I was having an extreme brain fart during the video when I was trying to think of what they were called lol. Thanks for listing it though, and for watching the vid!

• @nexus7tablet610
      @nexus7tablet610 Před 4 lety

Concentric clutch bearing/ slave is another name

• @RuinedSpec
    @RuinedSpec Před 4 lety +1

I needed this info thanks! Didn’t know that spring was removable.

• @allovruracing9404
    @allovruracing9404 Před 5 lety +2

Thank you! HELPED ME OUT A LOT. Nice car BTW! 👍🏼

• @hill_customs6807
    @hill_customs6807 Před 6 lety +14

Holy crap... a flip phone in 2017..

• @transamman305
      @transamman305  Před 6 lety +4

Haha, bringing back that old school!

• @brown029
      @brown029 Před 5 lety +1

WTF 😮

• @jeromy2886
      @jeromy2886 Před 3 lety

He knows his business lol probably has the same wife lmao

• @TheDesiOS
    @TheDesiOS Před 6 lety +1

No worries. I want to do a conversion from fork to hydraulic push bearing the company asked for the same measurements your demonstrating.

• @Co-SS
    @Co-SS Před 3 lety

Really good video sir. TY

• @dynamicdopamine
    @dynamicdopamine Před 4 lety

Well I've got my clutch bolt it up and torque down I went where they Ram stage 2 clutch it's called the hawks sinister ... I have never installed a hydraulic clutch only the ones with a cable ... I'm pretty sure I understand the concept of how you measured the Clarence at the beginning because I can really see what you were doing but I'm kind of lost on the second measurements you were taking when you are underneath the car because the camera was too far away! I really need to know how to do this so I don't screw anything up what do I measure on the clutch to get that measurement? Did you stick the feeler gauge to the disc or just to the other side of the pressure plate where the teeth are? Also after you get those measurements how do you set it up to get the correct Gap because the video just kind of ends?

• @transamman305
      @transamman305  Před 4 lety

For the second measurement, you want the distance from the face of the bellhousing where the trans would bolt up, to the edge of the pressure plate teeth. Just get the ruler onto the highest point of the teeth. If for some reason your out of spec, you compensate by purchasing a slave cylinder shim kit. The shims will go between the slave cylinder and transmission. I haven't needed them in the few cases I've installed clutches, but once in a while you will.

• @ryanmatchett6481
    @ryanmatchett6481 Před 9 měsíci

Gteat videos, i gotta replace mine in the spring. Went tight to the floor for engagement. Lol what clutch would you recommend for a 94 Z-28 with the Lt1 , 6 speed? Just haf put a Detroit locker with 373's and the clutch went south. Old cars = great fun!!

• @transamman305
      @transamman305  Před 9 měsíci

My brother had good luck with a spec stage 2 clutch in his mild bolt on LS swapped bird. Dont have much experience with other clutches, but id stick to a name brand and you should be golden!

• @Get2Diggin
    @Get2Diggin Před 2 měsíci

Monster clutch wants a .080-.100 of a clearance.

• @calebtamatea3719
    @calebtamatea3719 Před rokem

Unsure if I measured mine properly, read 55mm on bearing , and 75mm from bellhousing to clutch fingers

• @Craig_whyte
    @Craig_whyte Před 2 lety +1

Metric is sooooo much better, i can see you struggle to take in the unnecessary large numbers. Easier to read 35mm as apposed to 1.378.

• @W.M_MotorSport
    @W.M_MotorSport Před rokem

So did you end up using a shim because I just got a McLeod clutch and I called them ahead time and they are telling me that I should not need a shim in my 2001 trans am

• @Jlw5667jlw
    @Jlw5667jlw Před 7 měsíci

What’s the part number on the tree frog note pad?

• @funguy7979
    @funguy7979 Před 6 lety

What's up with that 305, you from Dade County?

• @transamman305
      @transamman305  Před 6 lety +1

No, old user name back when the car had a 305 engine in it lol

• @jameshen4294
    @jameshen4294 Před 3 lety

The shim kits call for .125-.200.Do I need to remove my transmission and re shim?

• @transamman305
      @transamman305  Před 3 lety

I believe the transmission does need to come back out to install a shim. Thats why its always best to measure clearances before installing everything.

• @jameshen4294

@@transamman305 I did measure,I have .179 clearance.Your video said a different clearance than the recommended specifications.That’s why I was asking

• @transamman305
      @transamman305  Před 3 lety

Ahhh, gotcha. I disnt understand at first. You should be fine with that clearance. It it was .125 or less id say it was a bit too close. You should be good with .179 though.

• @jameshen4294

@@transamman305 okay thanks for the help

• @BobbyBrown-sl7zp
      @BobbyBrown-sl7zp Před rokem

@@transamman305 hey bud I'm running same clutch rxt in my ls1,being same clutch in magnum M12 , wouldn't I need same shim as U ?? Also what throwout bearing be well suited to this clutch?

• @MohdAli-uy5fg
    @MohdAli-uy5fg Před 5 lety

Please help my car in the garage now ,
    A= 2.333
    B= 1.963
    What shim i need ??

• @tnamen1307
    @tnamen1307 Před 6 lety

Sir I really need your help in this clutch sounds. There are no hard shifting in gear transmissions, everything is normal.
    m.czcams.com/video/DVJCERkwS2w/video.html
    Sir, it happens only after replacing with new clutch. And this sound did not come with the old clutch.
    Any ideas or suspect regarding pressure rings getting hard...? And how to identify hard pressure rings?

• @brandon_907
    @brandon_907 Před 3 lety

Calipers

• @July-A7
    @July-A7 Před 6 lety +4

You don't need to do this at all. Unless you are fitting a kit that's not meant for this car, which would be unusual. Once bolted on, it takes time for the clutch to bed in. That's all. No need to measure or shave off.

• @transamman305
      @transamman305  Před 6 lety +3

Yes there absolutely is. Some clutch manufacturers say they don't require shims, other's do. It's just a matter of what brand clutch you go with, however every major shop out there that deals with LS/T56 cars will highly recommend checking for slave cylinder clearance and shimming if necessary. I've never had to do it, but I've had a few friends who did have to shim clutches meant for the car to get proper operation.

• @yourocktube
    @yourocktube Před 6 lety +2

This is painful to watch with regard to precision/accuracy. Might as well just send it to someone with the proper tools or not even measure at all when you put it together. How do you trust any of your measurements? Better lucky than good I guess. Not to slight you but this is just poor technique.

• @transamman305
      @transamman305  Před 6 lety +16

You do realize the spec for this measurement is basically just somewhere around 1/4" right? Theres nothing "precision" about it, so the tools needed are nothing special. My job is as a machinist and when your making parts to within a few thousanths, thats precision. This is just a quick check to see if your within the ball park of getting away without shimming.