Viltrox 23mm for Traveling? Fujifilm X-T4

Sdílet
Vložit
  • čas přidán 24. 08. 2022
  • Will the affordable Viltrox 23mm f1.4 be able to handle the job as a travel lens?
    During a recent vacation trip to Crete Greece I could only bring one camera body and one lens and on top of this, make it as lightweight as possible.
    The choice fell on the Viltrox 23mm as it's wide enough for landscapes and long enough to snap a few portraits.
    The large aperture is another neat feature, making this a lens well suited for indoor and low light situations as well as night life.
    On top of this the auto focus AF is nice and smooth on my Fujifilm X-T4 with AF set to Sensitivity 0 Speed -2
    #viltrox23 #fujifilm #travelphotography
  • Jak na to + styl

Komentáře • 52

• @kistzu
    @kistzu Před 22 dny

finally someone showing extensive video footage of a fuji x mount lens. it's unbelievably difficult to see those in the "photographerverse".

• @ThomasFransson
      @ThomasFransson  Před 22 dny

Thank you I had a hard time finding content myself. As a little inside info, there will be another video up in a few weeks. So let me know if there’s anything you want me to cover.

• @avokevo5394
    @avokevo5394 Před rokem +2

Lovely production to the video, fun footage, and tons of great info on a lens I will now probably purchase. Cheers!

• @ThomasFransson
      @ThomasFransson  Před rokem

Awesome, thank you! So glad you enjoyed the video and found it helpful.

• @AdamSondel
    @AdamSondel Před 8 měsíci

Oh, great review! Pro level! Thanks Thomas!

• @JasonLawrenceNoel
    @JasonLawrenceNoel Před rokem

Thanks !!! Great video :)

• @ThomasFransson

Thank you, and thank you for leaving such a nice comment!

• @35ysl
    @35ysl Před rokem

Great video, great shots - subscribed!

• @AndreiDimaReviews
    @AndreiDimaReviews Před rokem +4

Nice video! The Viltrox 23mm f1.4 is such an underrated lens.

• @rumo201
    @rumo201 Před rokem

Tolles review! Sehr unterhaltsam! Cool 👏👏👏 thx for sharing

• @ThomasFransson

Glad you enjoyed it, thank you for taking the time to leave such a nice comment.

• @gregoryedwards8918
    @gregoryedwards8918 Před rokem +1

Another excellent review Thomas. And yes, I did go back and watch the earlier review. Question: at 23mm do you prefer the image and the quality of the bokeh on the Viltrox or the Sigma 18-35mm, and of course they are two very different lenses.

• @ThomasFransson

Thank you Gregory! I appreciate it.
      That's a good question, I feel like the Sigma is a bit more even and pleasant despite the slight difference between the maximum apertures.
      But, since I'm also a fan of vintage lenses I really appreciate the slightly busier bokeh on the Viltrox as well.
      What wide angles are your go to?

• @matthewmendoza5729
    @matthewmendoza5729 Před rokem +8

Awesome review, Thomas! I've been debating between this and the XF 23mm f/2, and while I prefer the footprint of the Fuji, I think the Viltrox is slightly more versatile without being cumbersome. Cheers!

• @ThomasFransson
      @ThomasFransson  Před rokem +3

This was my conclusion too when comparing these two lenses.
      Glad you enjoyed the review. - Thank you!

• @bjornb6961
      @bjornb6961 Před rokem +3

@@ThomasFransson What’s the main downside with the XF 23mm f/2? Light, compact, weather-resistant, and just one stop slower seems like a good tradeoff… did you already compare the two in a video?

• @ThomasFransson
      @ThomasFransson  Před rokem +2

@@bjornb6961 Sorry I didn't see your message until now. If you only shoot stills the Fujinon will do a great job. The AF performance and focus breathing is only an issue for hybrid/video shooters.
      That's why there's always lively debates around these lenses between still and video shooters 😂

• @bjornb6961
      @bjornb6961 Před rokem +2

@@ThomasFransson ah, ok, thanks for the reply! I didn’t realize it had so much focus breathing.

• @Whatreally123
    @Whatreally123 Před rokem +2

I hope they bring a f1.8 or F2 version of their apsc lenses in a small pancake style body. Will be perfect for street photography.

• @harryvanlamoen8195
    @harryvanlamoen8195 Před rokem

great video! How did you manage to stabilize the footage that well because the lens has no IS?

• @ThomasFransson
      @ThomasFransson  Před rokem +1

True, no ois on the lens. The camera (X-T4) has ibis so that did the heavy lifting. I believe stabilized the boat shots with some extra warp stabilizer in Premiere

• @nickvideolife
    @nickvideolife Před rokem

yamas welcome to greece
    great video

• @michelb9636
    @michelb9636 Před 8 měsíci

hey nice video :)
    one question, is the vignette really so strong? i noticed it after your 2nd or 3rd picture that every picture turns dark at the corners:/ that‘d be a huge downside for the lense for me

• @ThomasFransson
      @ThomasFransson  Před 8 měsíci

Good eyes!
      No, the vignetting is pretty well controlled on the lens itself. However the vnd I use is quite prone to create some vignetting. I've stuck with it because I like the slight color shift it gives. But, the vignetting I could do without.

• @michealslash
    @michealslash Před rokem +2

i have questions when i turn to A mode in lens still a cant change apertun in my camera i set my camera to manual . any fix? the apperture is turning red cant change it

• @ThomasFransson

Sorry no Idea , a quick google search mentions this as an issue with some older Sony cameras not fully compatible with the lens. Not sure if updating firmware on camera and lens will make a difference.

• @NickCheng93
    @NickCheng93 Před rokem

Does the purple fringing go away if you stop it down?

• @ThomasFransson

It does, but I think it behaves pretty well wide open too, most of the time. Going through the 1500+ shots I took on this trip, very few of these shows any fringing. The ones that do are typically missed shots like I mentioned in the video. Overexposed or other misses caused by me.

• @HypertronicTeddy
    @HypertronicTeddy Před rokem

hi im thinking of getting either the 33 or 23mm f1.4. which do you think would a better choice to pair with my 18mmf2 fuji lens?

• @ThomasFransson

23mm as a 35mm equivalent is a popular focal length for photojournalism, capturing places and people. One the reasons why I went with 23mm for traveling.
      33mm as a 50mm equivalent will give you slightly better subject separation which is great for portraits and single subjects. Both are popular focal lengths used for slightly different types of shooting.
      So a lot of it comes down to that. Do you want to stay fairly wide or have a lens that is a bit more stylized in its field of view.
      Even if you have the 18 f2 there will be enough of a difference between it and the 23mm especially with the 1.4 aperture.
      And certainly an even bigger difference with the 33mm f1.4 if you’re looking for a lens that will give you a more drastic option to your 18mm

• @mjc4080
    @mjc4080 Před 3 měsíci

Ive seen Viltrox 23 1.4 XF with Gold Plate ted Letters and a White printed letters, i wonder whats the difference of the two

• @ThomasFransson
      @ThomasFransson  Před 3 měsíci

In this case the (23mm for fujifilm) the first version had gold lettering and was incompatible or could "damage" older Fujifilm cameras from what I've heard. So they made some adjustments and gave that updated model (mkII if you will) white lettering. Since then I believe they've switched to white lettering on all their newer lenses. My 13mm f1.4 (Sony e-mount) has white lettering on the barrel. So if you're buying a used one - The ones with white lettering will be easier to sell because of this issue with older Fujifilm cameras.

• @mattstolzman
    @mattstolzman Před rokem

Thank you for your video. I'm thinking about this lens. I love my huge 85 mk II from Viltrox on my XT4.

• @ThomasFransson

Glad if it was helpful!
      Nice! I've be looking at that 85mm how's the AF? Already have a T1.5 85mm but AF would be nice in some situations.

• @mattstolzman
      @mattstolzman Před rokem

@@ThomasFransson czcams.com/video/iZ8mGmE8vRw/video.html there is autofocus video comparison later in the video. I don't understand what does he say.

• @photogough4879
    @photogough4879 Před rokem +1

Is there focusing noise?

• @ThomasFransson

Great question!
      I would say - The lens is close to dead silent.
      I haven't made any tests with an on camera mic as I prefer to use lavaliers.
      But you should be fine in terms of AF noise.
      I will try to do a test this weekend and publish the test on youtube.

• @adelgado2012
    @adelgado2012 Před rokem

Did you edit the video at all or is it raw footage?

• @ThomasFransson

Travel video examples were shot in f-log.
      A lot of the example photos are jpgs shot with pro neg hi, some might have been raw files when the scene dictated exposing for the sky, thus causing other parts of the image under exposed. Standard exposure corrections in other means.
      Hope that answers your question.

• @lemartian1
    @lemartian1 Před 8 měsíci

what is the filter on the lens?

• @ThomasFransson
      @ThomasFransson  Před 8 měsíci

That's a variable ND filter
      I keep it on most of the time since I switch between video and stills

• @ishrak003
    @ishrak003 Před rokem

Is this good for vlog?

• @ThomasFransson

If you’re only/mainly going to use it for vlogging, the Viltrox 13mm might be a better choice.
      As an allround lens I would pick the 23mm, even if it might be on the tighter end for vlogging.
      Watch my vlogging segments in the video to determine if you want to be wider for vlogging.

• @eprohoda
    @eprohoda Před rokem

Thomas!Bonjournice to meet you!yo, that is orgeous recording. goodbye!! ;))

• @maxbashyrov5785
    @maxbashyrov5785 Před rokem +1

"ridiculously sharp"? "decently sharp under some circumstances", maybe. At f/1.4 it's quite average (even in the center). And that color fringing... :[

• @ThomasFransson

Sorry to hear that. Maybe this lens isn't for you then. Personally I don't have any problems getting sharp pictures and video with this lens. Wide open all lenses lose some sharpness so I don't see that as anything unique with this lens.
      Regarding fringing - it's definitely there as I mentioned and showed in the video. But there's plenty of examples in there where there's no visible fringing at all. So like a mentioned in the video it usually only shows up if I mess something up like missing focus or blow out the highlights.
      And at the end of things - This is a super affordable lens yet it still performs very well - better imo than the price suggests. Especially if you're a hybrid shooter on a budget.