Video není dostupné.
Omlouváme se.

How does the Fuji 35mm f/1.4 perform on the X-H2 and X-T5?

Sdílet
Vložit
  • čas přidán 6. 08. 2024
  • How does the Fuji XF 35mm f/1.4 perform with the 40-megapixel sensor inside the X-H2 and X-T5? Let's go on a little photo walk to find out.
    Want to use the Jpeg Recipe I used? Find it here: jerredz.com/fujifilm-jpeg-rec...
    00:00 Introduction
    01:19 Photo Walk
    04:45 Examples of Film Recipe
    06:47 Full Resolution Evaluations of 35mm
    -----
    The following are affiliate links. I receive a small commission if you click the link and purchase the item at no additional cost for you. This is a small way you can support what I do.
    IN THIS VIDEO:
    Fujifilm X-H2: amzn.to/3WJihTM
    Fujifilm 35mm f/1.4: amzn.to/3UpkKRH
    -- CAMERAS --
    Fujifilm X-H2s: amzn.to/3S2USJu
    Fujifilm X-100v: amzn.to/3nVYoZI
    Fujifilm X-T4: amzn.to/3P5DqUc
    Fujifilm X-Pro3: amzn.to/3NY1zKV
    Fujifilm X-E4: amzn.to/3uDs4OO
    Sony A7IV: amzn.to/3P0Vej0
    Fujifilm GFX 100: amzn.to/3P30RNU
    Fujifilm GFX 50sii: amzn.to/3uzNNY3
    -- LENSES --
    Fujifilm XF 33mm 1.4: amzn.to/3IuWV5Y
    Fujifilm XF 18mm 1.4: amzn.to/3NXk9mn
    Fujifilm XF 80mm Macro: amzn.to/3AG4XqB
    Sigma 56mm f/1.4 (for Fuji X Mount): amzn.to/3NTeeP3
    Sony 35mm f/1.4 GM: amzn.to/3AHaCwT
    Sigma 85mm f/1.4 for Sony E Mount: amzn.to/3P0C50y
    Fujifilm GF 80mm f/1.7: amzn.to/3PlUZiv
    Fujifilm GF 32-64 f/4: amzn.to/3nUovQM
    -- CZcams VIDEO/AUDIO GEAR --
    Go Pro Hero 10: amzn.to/3Pjzfnf
    Go Pro Hero 9/10 Media Mod: amzn.to/3PgsQt1
    Rode PodMic: amzn.to/3ywgJBj
    -- TRIPODS, BAGS AND MORE --
    Peak Design Travel Tripod (Carbon Fiber): amzn.to/3OXQLxv
    Peak Design Backpack: amzn.to/3P0lHNO
    -----
    Like the music I use? I get it all from Epidemic Sound, and if you use this link, save 10%: share.epidemicsound.com/vghdgd
    -----
    This video was produced by Jerred Z (That's me!). Becoming a photographer and photography teacher has been a transformative and positive aspect of my life, and I truly want more people to experience the world in the way I’ve learned to.
    Every day is more beautiful, no matter where I am, because of photography.
    I’d love for you to join me on my journey, so subscribe to my channel here and visit me on my website: jerredz.com/
    Many of the photos you see me use are edited with Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop. I sometimes use my own custom presets, skies and textures in them, and I give some of my best away in my Newsletter! To sign up and get the free stuff, go here: jerredz.com/newsletter/
    Thanks for stopping by!
    You can find more of my work here:
    Instagram: / jerredz
    Twitter: / jerredz

Komentáře • 97

• @BadlonMondo
    @BadlonMondo Před rokem +1

Amazing!... So much gone life behind these outstanding photos...

• @paulthomas8986
    @paulthomas8986 Před rokem +6

I have more photos taken with that lens than any other. The classic rendering works so well with the Fuji colors. Your film recipe looked amazing, really brought the photos to life. As usual fantastic compositions. You brought the best out of the legendary 35mm f1.4

• @JerredZ
      @JerredZ  Před rokem

Thanks, Paul. I was totally feeling it that day… so interesting how this photo walk contrasts with the last time I was there… really a reminder to keep going back to locations as an exercise in “seeing.”

• @salvadorvelazquez8783
    @salvadorvelazquez8783 Před rokem +1

I used the version 1 these past weekend to shoot a college Basketball game and fell in love. Focusing was incredible pictures were incredible

• @tomheim9516
    @tomheim9516 Před rokem +3

Great photos, all of them. If a photographer is engaged with the subject, that energy shines through like a bright light. We can see that in your photos!

• @JerredZ
      @JerredZ  Před rokem

You rock, Tom. Thank you for the compliment!

• @R8135003
    @R8135003 Před rokem +1

Thanks for the road trip. Hours of fun catching the relics. My daughter would be in tears at the pickup.
    Never ever to many photos.
    Be lucky stay safe.

• @JerredZ
      @JerredZ  Před rokem +1

Will! Thank you, Friend! That old pickup is so amazing, and you’re ALMOST right about too many photos… although I did a one-hour portrait shoot a few days ago and shot over 1300 photos… THAT is too many photos! :). Thanks again for your comment!

• @darryl_young
    @darryl_young Před rokem +1

Before the week gets started, I felt like checking out some videos on that lens, and I came across this one. The photo walk section was beautiful - the music, the photos, and the general tone of the video - and for a few minutes, I was there among those old cars, even though I’m drinking my coffee on a cloudy Monday morning in Bavaria, Germany. Nice work, Jerred. Thanks for sharing.

• @JerredZ
      @JerredZ  Před rokem

Wow. Darryl... THANK YOU. I appreciate this more than you know. I printed this out and have it on my desktop right now. Thank you for making my day!

• @Micardi12
    @Micardi12 Před rokem +1

Super helpul review. Real-World tests, are *much* preferred over charts and walls. Thank you! 🙏

• @sherbaju
    @sherbaju Před rokem +2

Abandoned + details + Fuji colors = perfect combo to me. Makes me wanna jump back to Fuji 😁

• @larrytan92
    @larrytan92 Před rokem +1

The colors are amazing! Great recipe!

• @JerredZ
      @JerredZ  Před rokem

Thank you, Larry - glad you like it!

• @CraigBergonzoni
    @CraigBergonzoni Před rokem +1

Great photos. I love that camera + lens combo.

• @JerredZ
      @JerredZ  Před rokem

Thank you Craig - it's a solid combo!

• @ObservingBeauty
    @ObservingBeauty Před rokem +1

Very helpful video. Thanks

• @JerredZ
      @JerredZ  Před rokem +1

Glad it was helpful!

• @parmanduke
    @parmanduke Před 11 měsíci +3

I use my 35 f1.4 on an X T5. It's an amazing lens whether it's on the X T3, T4, T5 or X H2s. Seems like a Ploy by Fujifilm to sell/move new lenses to recommend certain lenses that'll resolve 40mp. This lens is FANTASTIC

• @SiddhantParkar
    @SiddhantParkar Před rokem +1

Thanks for this. I was curious.

• @JerredZ
      @JerredZ  Před rokem

Awesome - glad to help.

• @ksmitobol
    @ksmitobol Před rokem +2

just what i was looking for. thx.

• @JerredZ
      @JerredZ  Před rokem

Sweet! Super glad to help.

• @milesian1
    @milesian1 Před rokem +1

You have very courteous neighbors; it's quite remarkable that the windows of that truck and bus featured in the first half of the video haven't been broken.
    Lovely video and images. I never doubted the 35/1.4. It's just a great lens, perfect for just walking around taking pictures with character.
    The film simulation formula is nice, too. Brings out the rust tones really well.

• @JerredZ
      @JerredZ  Před rokem

Thank you so much, Milesian. There isn't much graffiti/wrecking of things out in the country. Some, but not always.

• @CraigPitts
    @CraigPitts Před rokem +1

Great video man, thinking of picking up a 35 for my X-H2, totally agree with your sentiment on charts etc! Sick location too, wish we had stuff like that in the UK

• @JerredZ
      @JerredZ  Před rokem

Thanks, Craig! I think you'll love the 35 on the x-H2 - I've been using it more since I kind of "rediscovered" it for this video!

• @charliejg
    @charliejg Před rokem +1

Thanks for taking us along! Love the old trucks!

• @JerredZ
      @JerredZ  Před rokem +1

Oh, Charlie… old trucks are amazing, aren’t they? I had so much fun in that single field, and found so many interesting things to take photographs. Truly a treasure.

• @charliejg
      @charliejg Před rokem

@@JerredZ Oh yeah! The old trucks had really nice lines. That International Harvester bus is a classic. There is a museum in Hershey, PA called the AACA Museum. They have a whole section of old buses in the bottom floor. Very cool!

• @reneeschke
    @reneeschke Před rokem +1

Surprised how soothing and real this review was. I came for information and stayed for a good time. Crazy. Your thoughts about the experience and inherent imperfection of photography was refreshing in this sea of data driven arguments. Thanks for that.
    What recipes are you talking about. Is this achievable in camera? If yes, please share how!

• @JerredZ
      @JerredZ  Před rokem +1

Hello and thank you! Yes, most of this was achieved in camera with a recipe on my website, you can find here! jerredz.com/fujifilm-x-t5-and-xh2-jpeg-recipe-memphis/

• @salvadorvelazquez8783
    @salvadorvelazquez8783 Před rokem +3

Also used the 23 1.4 in loved that.

• @khoadam3766
    @khoadam3766 Před rokem +1

Awesome photos, I subscribed. I really prefer the default color produced by this lens most of the time, but your simulation fits perfectly with these photos.
    I preordered the xt5 and am going to receive one in the next couple of days. What I expect from the new xtrans is whether it improves (and how well) the AF speed for this lens. I just prefer its characteristics over the new 33mm, WR is more like an insurance to me.

• @JerredZ
      @JerredZ  Před rokem +2

Thanks, Khoa! And enjoy that X-T5 - it looks like it will be great. For me so far the speed of the autofocus remains the same as the x-t4... but that wasn't terrible in my opinion.

• @westdk6705
    @westdk6705 Před rokem +1

Well done mate 😊🍭🍭💪🏻💪🏻

• @leander79416
    @leander79416 Před 8 měsíci +1

Very Nice color recipe 👌 dont know if i should upgrade my XT1…

• @Eric-lh6wp
    @Eric-lh6wp Před rokem +2

The review I 've been waiting for! My conclusion; still no need to upgrade my xt2.
    Thanks for posting.

• @JerredZ
      @JerredZ  Před rokem +1

Nice - and that X-T2 is LEGENDARY. I would tend to agree.

• @chuckashton9688
    @chuckashton9688 Před rokem +1

Nice video Jerred. Old trucks & cars they are the best. Yes shoot them before they're gone. As far as Fuji's list of supposedly approved lenses go I feel that list was drawn up by the marketing people. Bought the new camera then you must spend more on new lenses. I'm not a pixel peeper, I look at the picture as a whole. Glad to see you plugging away with the H2. Great camera.

• @JerredZ
      @JerredZ  Před rokem

Thanks, Chuck - and yes, the H2 is a great little camera. I’m still frustrated with the autofocus - but I’m re-evaluating my expectations a bit and trying to remember the joy and fun of what I do to take photos. There’s a balance I’m trying to achieve - I do want to be successful at CZcams and the byproducts of that, but I want to present something a little different… straight up autofocus tests and those kinds of things aren’t why I fell in love with photography, and I’m struggling to figure it out. Thanks for your comment, Chuck. I am going to journal about these things tonight!

• @philbrown8181
    @philbrown8181 Před rokem +1

Great shots. I love the colours and textures of decay. '...well, it's kinda free...' made me laugh. I may also have several more cameras than anyone needs.... maybe...

• @JerredZ
      @JerredZ  Před rokem +1

Ha! Thanks for watching, Phil - it was a fun one to do.

• @BenjaminKanarek
    @BenjaminKanarek Před rokem +1

Of my 15 Fujifilm lenses the 35 f/1.4 is one of my favourites! As the great Art Director for the iconic but now defunct magazine "Depeche Mode" Jacques Michel Verger once said to me, "if you think you are in too close, come in closer". F**K technique! It is all about character! If I may...LR is great for Sony, Canon, Nikon, etc. But due to the X-trans sensor the only software I use to process the Fujifilm files is Capture One. I almost dropped Fuji because of that "water colour" look of the files. When I discovered Capture One it was a 180% turn around. was like a new camera. Crisp details and gradations. My usual sharpening is 180% at 0.8 pixels and 0 threshold on noise. Give it a shot. Been into this biz for almost 40 years. BTW, love your work!

• @JerredZ
      @JerredZ  Před rokem +1

LOVE IT, Benjamin. "If you're too close, get closer" - fantastic and more hardcore than the Capa quote! :).

• @patrickcoggins6279
    @patrickcoggins6279 Před rokem +3

Great shots and they're plenty sharp enough - I love my 35 f1.4 and I'm sure it'll be just as good on the new sensors. I think the 40mp will be useful if you need to crop heavily. In that regard, it would be interesting to see a comparison between the 35 f1.4 and the 35 f2 (which is on the list for the newer sensor) when you zoom in on the shots, but for most real-world purposes, I probably wouldn’t notice the difference in sharpness

• @JerredZ
      @JerredZ  Před rokem +3

Patrick - I did some of this and honestly I don't see much of a difference. Honestly, except wide open the 35mm seems to perform incredibly well with the 40 megapixel sensor. BUT - this is a great idea for a video... so I'll get on it!

• @salvadorvelazquez8783
      @salvadorvelazquez8783 Před rokem +1

Thank you sir

• @HarryLang
      @HarryLang Před rokem

@@JerredZ I'd love to see that comparison as well!

• @weiyang6417
    @weiyang6417 Před rokem +2

I'll still be using this amazing lens when I upgrade to the XPro4 with that new 40mp sensor. Theres a reason why this lense hasnt been discontinued.

• @JerredZ
      @JerredZ  Před rokem

Because it's amazing, right Wei! It really is. I hadn't taken it out for a while, and it was so much fun.

• @BobEstremera
    @BobEstremera Před rokem +1

This is an awesome place. You CAN'T take too many photos. Definitely do the book.

• @JerredZ
      @JerredZ  Před rokem

Thanks, Bob! What a cool little spot, eh?

• @BobEstremera
      @BobEstremera Před rokem

@@JerredZ It's magic man. And you totally did it justice.

• @jedcurtis4109
    @jedcurtis4109 Před rokem +2

Hey Jerred, Thanks for the vid! 35mm F1.4 is glued to my camera 90% of the time, wonderful character lens. Just wondering about the upload quality of this vid. For some reason it's stuck at 360p. Is it a CZcams rendering issue? Probably a browser issue on my side. All the best!

• @JerredZ
      @JerredZ  Před rokem +1

Jed… not sure! I just checked and I could play it in 4k on my other computer’s incognito browser… I bet you the video was “still processing” from CZcams even though I had it scheduled a few hours out just for that reason. Sorry the quality was so bad!

• @Iamtongue
    @Iamtongue Před rokem +1

appreciate this video...from my eyes if this is going on social media and websites its fine... It's just punching in where it looks a bit too soft for my liking..

• @JerredZ
      @JerredZ  Před rokem

Thanks, my man, and I agree - looks great in most common situations no matter what!

• @georgechen1124
    @georgechen1124 Před rokem +2

Hey Jerred, I found AF limiter setting on my X-E4 boosts AF speed and accuracy a lot with this lens. You know 50mm focal length is most effective when emphasizing subject out of environment. AF speed feels on par with my X100V(normally between 0.3m to 1.8m limitation) when using AF limiter. I guess the AF speed should be blazing fast on X-T5 with further improvements on accuracy, though it is impossible to eliminate the buzzing sound/aperture chatter of this lens.

• @DanFarrar
    @DanFarrar Před rokem +2

Soul less lens…OMG you should copyright © lol. Share away bud. You’re killing it. Voiceover with the photos and examples…some real honest straight up photography. Love it brother ❤ Keep it going man, you found a groove. Great video!

• @JerredZ
      @JerredZ  Před rokem +1

DAN! You too man. you're posting like crazy! I need "dedicated" watch time to check out what everyone else is doing - it's hard to keep up, right? THANK YOU AS ALWAYS!

• @DanFarrar
      @DanFarrar Před rokem +1

@@JerredZ It is hard keeping up but well worth the camaraderie and always fun to see what friends are up to with a keen understanding of production and effort. This video showed on the spot problem solving and I always enjoy seeing that regardless of the mediocre pics on the way to getting a great one. It’s a process few will share as its more satisfying to roll the highlights lol. The teacher in you is blossoming for sure!

• @JerredZ
      @JerredZ  Před rokem

DAN!!!!!!! Dude. You made my day. Thank you. Thank you. thank you.

• @nachohernandez9491
    @nachohernandez9491 Před rokem +3

Your going to end up making Nebraska a place to go

• @JerredZ
      @JerredZ  Před rokem +1

Oh, man, Nacho… not sure about that! :) Thanks for teh compliment though!

• @fredschmidt8609
    @fredschmidt8609 Před rokem +1

The 35 F1.4 is in good company with the 16mm F1.4 ,18-55, and 16-80 and the new 10-24. Its not a marketing thing to leave out both kit lenses. The lenses on the list are of the currently available lenses from Fuji. No legacy lenses are listed. The unlisted lenses are fine. They just can't reveal any greater detail with the extra megapixels. I'm glad they provided the list. I wish they would publish a metric that they used so other lenses, and 3rd party lenses could be evaluated. Call it the X-Trans 5 HR test.

• @JerredZ
      @JerredZ  Před rokem

Thanks for the comment, Fred. Good info!

• @junelin9773
    @junelin9773 Před rokem +1

Hi, Jerred Z I would like to know this lens (35mm F1.4) can satisfy X-T5 40megapixel?

• @JerredZ
      @JerredZ  Před rokem +1

Hello, June. I think it does a very good job on the 40-megapixel cameras - I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it for those new sensors.

• @junelin9773
      @junelin9773 Před rokem +1

@@JerredZ thanks!

• @reneeschke
    @reneeschke Před rokem +1

From what I read, the 33mm 1.4 is slightly better in all regards while keeping the character of the 35, but still isnt excellent. What do you think about that comparison?

• @JerredZ
      @JerredZ  Před rokem

I think the 33 is better in pretty much every regard, like you said, and I'd use it 100% of the time over the 35 1.4. That's just me though... I think the 33 is just as good "character" wise!

• @WatchesAndPhotography
    @WatchesAndPhotography Před rokem +8

The new 40mp sensor isn’t going to make the lens any worse compared to previous Fujifilm sensors. If anything it will allow more detail to be captured, albeit maybe not noticeable at normal viewing distances! Pixel peeping is something only gear heads and now “youtube reviewers” do.

• @JerredZ
      @JerredZ  Před rokem +1

No, you’re right. Fuji just said it wasn’t on the list of “approved 40-megapixel” sensors… and they didn’t really say much else. So… it’s a fun reason to go out and test the lens out!

• @bottledwaterprod
      @bottledwaterprod Před rokem

@B Basleigh You're right. Most ppl don't need 40mp. However, there are good exceptions. If you want large prints, if you want the freedom to crop, photogrammetry, zoomable archival backups of art or historical documents. Or scenarios where framing is often out of your control such as sports, wildlife, performances, etc. The average person doesn't need it. I'm upgrading to the X-H2s because the benefits of a smaller and faster sensor far outweigh the resolution for my particular needs.

• @WatchesAndPhotography
      @WatchesAndPhotography Před rokem +1

@@bbasleigh6149 Also, the step up from 26mp to 40mp isn’t as big as one might initially think. It’s only about 1.5 times the amount of pixel increase. Although a small increase, 40mp is still a lot of resolution and gives the photographer the ability to crop a bit more, print larger and retain detail compared to lower mp.
      However, not too many average people are printing LARGE these days, inks are expensive and printers need to be maintained.
      With all that being said: 26 megapickles is PLENTY enough resolution for me and I have cropped some images heavily with my 26mp Xpro3 and still satisfied with the results.

• @WatchesAndPhotography
      @WatchesAndPhotography Před rokem +2

@@bbasleigh6149 sharpness is just one attribute of a photo, and a very small one at that. For me, digital reached good enough around 12mp and more than enough at 24mp. Of course, with new advancements I appreciate more resolution.
      It’s easy to go down the gear acquisition hole whenever something new comes out, especially when people start measurebating online.

• @WatchesAndPhotography
      @WatchesAndPhotography Před rokem +2

@@bbasleigh6149 X-T2 is a fine camera, as is the X-H2 ;) enjoy your new camera.

• @JHuffPhoto
    @JHuffPhoto Před rokem +1

Perfection should not be a goal when capturing images for art. If you are trying to archive something then absolute perfection for rendering lighting and colors should be a goal but that will often result in an ugly image. This lens is absolutely give great results when used as it is intended. Of course newer more optically correct lenses may out perform it in a laboratory condition. However, most of us are not creating photographs in a lab.Thanks for the insight and the video.

• @JerredZ
      @JerredZ  Před rokem

Thanks, John - and I agree with all that you said!

• @stanmorinaka4551
    @stanmorinaka4551 Před rokem +1

This video is more of what I would like to know, rather than stats. Does character mean the flaws of the lens? Is this kinda of a way to execuse the weaknesses of the lens? I hear this term a lot for this lens, and I would like to know what you mean. Thank you for a great video!

• @JerredZ
      @JerredZ  Před rokem

Hey, Stan. Thanks for your comment. And I love these comments - you're right, I didn't really explain it! Yes - I think it's the flaws. There is a slight vignette, a softness, etc., that permeates images taken with the 35 1.4... and that adds to the look of the image in many situations. The way the subject focus moves toward blur is also part of the look. I think a whole video exploring this notion would be a lot of fun. THANK YOU!

• @stanmorinaka4551
      @stanmorinaka4551 Před rokem

@@JerredZ Thanks, I have a X-T5 on order, and this lens is on my list. Thank you for your definition of character. I really like your car shots. I am also wondering if I would like the H2 size compared to the X-T5. We'll soon find out when it comes in! How do you think you would like these shots if you used the Sony instead?

• @SquirrelHybrid
    @SquirrelHybrid Před rokem +1

Fuji added an asterisk to clarify that the list is of lenses that have high resolution from edge-to-edge at their maximum aperture, and that all lenses will benefit from the new sensor. 🙂 The 35mm has great character, and maybe a sharper lens would distract the viewer to look at how detailed the rust is rather than look at the image as a whole. 😄

• @JerredZ
      @JerredZ  Před rokem

Good points, my friend!

• @geofff6671
    @geofff6671 Před rokem +1

I have both Fuji 35mms. I find it pretty much impossible to pick the difference between the two. Fuji’s lens list was just an own goal from its marketing department and should be ignored. Great film recipe BTW.

• @JerredZ
      @JerredZ  Před rokem

Thank you! Glad you liked the film recipe!

• @dergelenkspreizer5272
    @dergelenkspreizer5272 Před rokem +1

We make great content with classic lenses from 1960 to 1990. I don't expect problems using a modern Fujicron lense there. Who cares for high edge to edge resolution at 1.4? In the real world subjects are in different planes anyway. Except astro.

• @JerredZ
      @JerredZ  Před rokem +1

Agreed - and thank you for the comment.

• @ilanhoward
    @ilanhoward Před rokem +1

I like your videos but I have to comment that something is wrong with the talking head parts - either the frames per second is low or the audio not in sync to the video - it doesn’t look smooth. I noticed it in all videos. Please check.

• @JerredZ
      @JerredZ  Před rokem

Llan - it's with my software. I'm changing to something new for my new one - I just hate breaking my workflow. THANK YOU for helping me out!!!!

• @just_eirik
    @just_eirik Před rokem +1

Maybe I’m wrong, but I feel like the big issue with testing lenses with charts is that the chart is being shot at only one distance (assuming we’re talking about a prime). And many lenses preform differently when focused at different distances. Real world testing is way better for judging lenses.

• @marcel9568
    @marcel9568 Před rokem +1

Why was the autofocus driving you crazy?

• @JerredZ
      @JerredZ  Před rokem

The eye-autofocus with continuous tracking is a mess on the XH2 in my tests with two bodies. It’s… just not working well at all, even for one subject walking fairly slowly to medium-speed.