Sharpening a knife to Razor Sharp in under 5 minutes on the Tormek-T8

Sdílet
Vložit
  • čas přidán 28. 10. 2023
  • Looking for something you saw in my video start here: www.alexandriaknifesharpening...
    Looking for great CBN Wheels I get mine here
    woodturnerswonders.com/pages/...

Komentáře • 23

• @Garth2011
    @Garth2011 Před 8 měsíci +2

I have seen knife sharpeners doing all of that by hand, without those guide rods on a buffer using cardboard grinder wheels for the final "strop". That was of course 40 some years ago but their blades were sharp as ever.

• @ALXSHARPEN
      @ALXSHARPEN  Před 8 měsíci

some people are good at freehand sharpening I dont like it

• @HappyBonz4109
    @HappyBonz4109 Před 4 měsíci

200 grit wheel is a game changer. Along with a 1200 grit edges are amazing. Did a kitchen knife for my wife, all I can say is "sharp knife, happy wife".

• @jerrywiese9722
    @jerrywiese9722 Před 9 měsíci +1

You've become a master trainer. Thanks

• @ALXSHARPEN
      @ALXSHARPEN  Před 9 měsíci

Wow, thank you what a nice compliment.

• @ShaunPanzer
    @ShaunPanzer Před měsícem

Thankyou for the great vid !

• @elderyoung416
    @elderyoung416 Před 9 měsíci +1

😎👍👍 Hey thanks for the links to the wheels!

• @robbabcock_
    @robbabcock_ Před 8 měsíci

Great video! I've sharpened for a couple decades, mostly on stones but also on belts. I really do think I'll have to get a least one Tormek and maybe a WEN. I think it's going to be about the fastest way to get a good edge. Water stones are enjoyable but it takes me more like fifteen minutes if I do it all by hand.

• @davewolinsky9201
    @davewolinsky9201 Před 6 měsíci

Is the 1000 grit wheel a standard tormek wheel that you made into a 1000 grit with the stone grader? Haven't seen that grit available. Thanks

• @ALXSHARPEN
      @ALXSHARPEN  Před 6 měsíci

The wheels I use most are CBN from Wood Turners Wonders The standard Tormek Wheel can be 250 or 1000 depending on how you grade it. This is a very different animal It's almost as hard as diamond runs cool so it can be used dry. Unlike diamond wheels that should be run in water the CBN also never needs grading and size is alway the same. Many advanates to CBN woodturnerswonders.com/collections/tormek-style-wheels

• @davewolinsky9201
      @davewolinsky9201 Před 6 měsíci

Thanks. I bought a diamond wheel so I could use the side to flatten chisel backs but will try a cbn for fine grinding. Been watching your technique on the tormek but have yet to master it. Any hints to controlling the knife better? Also is the guide bar longer than the stock one that comes with grinder? If so where did you get it. Appreciate the great video. @@ALXSHARPEN

• @mikebogart3841
    @mikebogart3841 Před 7 měsíci

Awesome video! Wondering if this would be able to do chisels as well? And I see a Tormek in the background, what do you use that for? It seems that these little 1x30”’s can do a pretty awesome job and are quite a bit cheaper overall.

• @ALXSHARPEN
      @ALXSHARPEN  Před 6 měsíci

1x30 are great but I do chisels on my Tormek or my low speed Jet grinder with CBN wheels on it.

• @mikebogart3841
      @mikebogart3841 Před 6 měsíci

@@ALXSHARPEN yeah I suppose trying to get a square edge on a 1x30 would be pretty tough.

• @WormBurger
    @WormBurger Před 9 měsíci +1

Why do you sometimes start in the middle of the knife? I would have though that would cause that area to have more metal removed by just a little bit each time, causing a hotspot in one location?

• @pyxern
      @pyxern Před 9 měsíci

I was thinking the same thing, that it would remove too much material from the belly of the knife doing it that way..

• @ALXSHARPEN
      @ALXSHARPEN  Před 9 měsíci +3

@@pyxern so you will find that many knives are to thick in the heel and the tip and also some handles get in the way so sometimes I start not really in the middle but close to the end and then back into the heel I’m not applying much pressure when I do that but the heel if you start at the very edge it barely gets a chance to contact the stone and often needs more contact. If it had a swale in the blade I wouldn’t do that but I also would correct that condition on every blade I sharpen no knives coming out of my shop with swales in them.

• @WormBurger
      @WormBurger Před 9 měsíci

@@ALXSHARPEN makes sense.

• @TurboTylerIX
      @TurboTylerIX Před 8 měsíci

Did you take that knife over to your 1x30 afterwards to grind the bolster down?

• @ALXSHARPEN
      @ALXSHARPEN  Před 8 měsíci +1

don't remember but if I have to grind a bolster I always do it on a 1x30 currently I do them all on my Toolcker 1x30 its awesome for bolster work @@TurboTylerIX