Value (VaR) Mapping a fixed-income portfolio (FRM T5-05)

Sdílet
Vložit
  • čas přidán 31. 05. 2024
  • In this video, we walk through an actual case study of Value at Risk (VaR) mapping, specifically as it is illustrated by Phillip Jorion in Chapter 11 of his book, Value at Risk. We will take a two-bond fixed income portfolio. It's going to have a value of 200 million, and we're going to look at VaR mapping under three different approaches. That mapping means that we'll take the value of the portfolio and we'll map it to one primitive risk factor or, in the more sophisticated case, five primitive risk factors. This will be a simplification exercise so that we can take in theory what is a complex portfolio and replace it, or map it to, a limited set of simple risk factors. Then we can shock or stress the risk factors as a means of estimating the risk of the portfolio.
    💡 Discuss this video in our forum: trtl.bz/2PQS6dQ
    📗 Find Jorion's book here: amzn.to/34z09QN
    👉 Subscribe here / bionicturtl. .
    to be notified of future tutorials on expert finance and data science, including the Financial Risk Manager (FRM), the Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA), and R Programming!
    ❓ If you have questions or want to discuss this video further, please visit our support forum (which has over 50,000 members) located at bionicturtle.com/forum
    🐢 You can also register as a member of our site (for free!) at www.bionicturtle.com/register/
    📧 Our email contact is support@bionicturtle.com (I can also be personally reached at davidh@bionicturtle.com)
    For other videos in our Financial Risk Manager (FRM) series, visit these playlists:
    Texas Instruments BA II+ Calculator
    • Texas Instruments BA I...
    Risk Foundations (FRM Topic 1)
    • Risk Foundations (FRM ...
    Quantitative Analysis (FRM Topic 2)
    • Quantitative Analysis ...
    Financial Markets and Products: Intro to Derivatives (FRM Topic 3, Hull Ch 1-7)
    • Financial Markets and ...
    Financial Markets and Products: Option Trading Strategies (FRM Topic 3, Hull Ch 10-12)
    • Financial Markets and ...
    FM&P: Intro to Derivatives: Exotic options (FRM Topic 3)
    • FM&P: Intro to Derivat...
    Valuation and RIsk Models (FRM Topic 4)
    • Valuation and RIsk Mod...
    Market Risk (FRM Topic 5)
    • Market Risk (FRM Topic 5)
    Coming Soon ....
    Credit Risk (FRM Topic 6)
    Operational Risk (FRM Topic 7)
    Investment Risk (FRM Topic 8)
    Current Issues (FRM Topic 9)
    For videos in our Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) series, visit these playlists:
    Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) Level 1 Volume 1
    • Level 1 Chartered Fina...
    #bionicturtle #risk #financialriskmanager #FRM #finance #expertfinance
    Our videos carefully comply with U.S. copyright law which we take seriously. Any third-party images used in this video honor their specific license agreements. We occasionally purchase images with our account under a royalty-free license at 123rf.com (see www.123rf.com/license.php); we also use free and purchased images from our account at canva.com (see about.canva.com/license-agree.... In particular, the new thumbnails are generated in canva.com. Please contact support@bionicturtle.com or davidh@bionicturtle.com if you have any questions, issues or concerns.

Komentáře • 12

• @yuanxu437
    @yuanxu437 Před 4 lety +7

Your videos are so underrated. Comprehensive and understandable, great presentation

• @georgepolanco
    @georgepolanco Před 2 lety

how do i do a stress testing on this? what variables should i compute?

• @surenderyadav1750
    @surenderyadav1750 Před 2 lety

thankyou for helping me

• @MikFrey
    @MikFrey Před 4 lety +2

Great video as usual. A quick question came to my mind and which is somehow related to the problem I had at work. Let's say we have these risk factors and it covers one risk type interest rate, however such bond would be also subject to change of credit rating. Then if a credit rating drops the price will also drop even if interest rates stay the same. Is there any simple idea how to look at 2 types of risk in the same time? For example add something to principal and duration mapping which would also include potential drop in credit rating?

• @bionicturtle
      @bionicturtle  Před 4 lety +1

Thank you! Great question, but as it more advanced we prefer you post to our forum (where FRM candidates, charterholders, and other experts might assist). The location for this video is given in the description: www.bionicturtle.com/forum/threads/t5-05-value-var-mapping-a-fixed-income-portfolio.22889/

• @jaylev85
      @jaylev85 Před 3 lety +1

It sounds like your asking about decomposing Interest risk into multiple component's which would include spread risk among others... inflation risk, etc. Duration is only a limited metric in this regard.. you'd need to combine a more sophisticated model of spread risk vs short rate risk etc. The credit spread is the determinant of the term structure so i would argue its just a diff way of looking at the same problem which this video was meant to simplify at a very high level... if you want to quantify a potential hit to market value from downgrades, etc. I'd use a transition matrix. I hope i understood the question correctly. i think there are issues with your statement so i may have misunderstood

• @MikFrey
      @MikFrey Před 3 lety

@@jaylev85 Thanks Jason I think you got it my question. Transition matrix would be great, but actually my company doesn't use any.
      Duration is nice but unfortunately too limited. We currently use simplified approach so we try to identify primary risk for the trade and put it into on category. It's not true and from more complex products has a lot of problems, but it was used for reporting so... ;)

• @jaylev85
    @jaylev85 Před 3 lety

Good book

• @HelloErth
    @HelloErth Před 2 lety

is it possible to get the excel that was shared in this video

• @surenderyadav1750
    @surenderyadav1750 Před 2 lety

i love you videos

• @JackEdward158
    @JackEdward158 Před 2 lety

Can you please provide the excel sheet for this video

• @nadeemasraf
    @nadeemasraf Před rokem

Why did you skip Stress testing, benchmarking and mapping linear derivatives from this chapter 😨