DIY Awning hack for my VW T4

Sdílet
Vložit
  • čas přidán 25. 08. 2024
  • I can't afford a 3000 euro Awning so I came up with this #Vanlife #Hack and it works just as well,
    Links to the products
    www.amazon.co....
    www.amazon.co....

Komentáře • 102

• @eekamoose
    @eekamoose Před 3 lety +6

Nice idea. I’ve been doing that for years. My pop-up roof got in the way so I use a row of neodymium magnets (with eyelets screwed into them to act as handles) along the top edge of the tarp instead of suction cups.

• @happygocrafty
    @happygocrafty Před 3 lety +4

So much clearer & more straight forward than other videos on the same subject! Thanks.

• @carold8308
    @carold8308 Před 4 lety +4

Yes, brilliant. I'll have an awning for my van this summer now. Big thanks to you.

• @duff600
    @duff600 Před 4 měsíci +2

Legend..thank you..this is the video i needed to see..straight to the point and a simple and effective idea. Liked and subbed.
    Cheers

• @shortandresourceful6242
    @shortandresourceful6242 Před 3 lety +4

Thank you for getting to the point with a terrific affordable solution. So many other videos wander off subject into ego ramblings. I am going to Harbor Freight or Home Depot tomorrow for this setup.

• @badgerhead7337
    @badgerhead7337 Před 4 lety +2

So simple I never even considered the suckers, thanks for sharing 👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼

• @DOGakaDefenderOfGems
    @DOGakaDefenderOfGems Před 3 lety +2

Thanks for that idea...brilliant...I just ordered my poles and tarp from amazon...thank you

• @beautyofthailand7393
    @beautyofthailand7393 Před 3 lety +2

The simplest tarp I've seen - great job!

• @Mrcatcherye
    @Mrcatcherye Před rokem +1

boss idea! exactly what im gonna do ! - cheerz pal

• @jamiebonsor622
    @jamiebonsor622 Před 3 lety +2

brilliant, easy, fast ,cheap as chips......i know people who have got VW camper vans with all the gizmos added but never used them because they don't want to damage them lol....personally i think campervans are a waste of money.... just use a standard van with an air vent a blow up bed and a camping kitchen and this fantastic awning and thats that

• @sierrasurvivaladventures
      @sierrasurvivaladventures  Před 3 lety +1

Thank you. You should have a look at how I built out the inside . Everything done on a budget and it is very used and functional

• @jamiebonsor622
      @jamiebonsor622 Před 3 lety

@@sierrasurvivaladventures
      im in the process of going through all your posts......you have great energy and enthusiasm....your vids have given me a nice feeling inside....top man keep it up and thankyou

• @norton4962
    @norton4962 Před 3 lety +1

Simple genius build! I’m going to combine with sand bags to weight the stakes

• @T4TipsGuides
    @T4TipsGuides Před 5 lety +7

That is brilliant, thanks.

• @divinecomedy0
    @divinecomedy0 Před 4 lety +1

I'm so grateful for your easy solution. Brilliant. Just brilliant. Now if I can only figure out a way to rig up some screens for the side windows, that would be awesome!

• @Mylifelovingit
    @Mylifelovingit Před 4 lety +4

Small trick with your rope on the pole. Hook it in over the tarpaulin as you did, then come straight down the pole for about 10 to 15cm. Then go around the pole with the rope, tuck the end of the rope between the pole and the rope and go straight down to the peg. This way the pulling angle is increased on the pole without bending the pole and the canvas is kept down. You will find it works better in strong wind as well

• @gavinmann1455
    @gavinmann1455 Před 2 lety +1

Great idea.... going to copy your idea. Mega thanks

• @peterross8638
    @peterross8638 Před 4 lety +2

Genius mate, I love it!

• @keybmx
    @keybmx Před 5 lety +3

Awesome idea on the suckers ! Might rig something like this up soon! Was looking at the Fiamma ones but have to drill the van I think which I didn’t want to do!

• @jammybizzle666
    @jammybizzle666 Před 4 měsíci +1

Smart bloke, youd do well putting it all together as a cheap kit

• @Kojak-zh7qo
    @Kojak-zh7qo Před 2 lety +1

Brilliant idea mate thanks for sharing I been trying to find a way to contact the tarp to the van without using magnets thanks again 👍

• @indi7456
    @indi7456 Před 3 lety +1

Brilliant! I'm doing this!! I love hacks,cheers

• @itsthenortherners
    @itsthenortherners Před 4 lety +1

Exactly the solution i was looking for for my T5, thanks for sharing the video.

• @ianginn5172
    @ianginn5172 Před 3 lety +1

Great video Carl.....well done 👍

• @garrymoore123
    @garrymoore123 Před rokem

Great video. Just purchased the tape poles guy lines all set to test it out in a few days on my VW Transporter. Plus the tarp is great to set up in the garden. Cheers mate. Subscribed. 👍

• @Vanrides.
    @Vanrides. Před rokem

Straight to the point, subscribed.

• @audiowatches5750
    @audiowatches5750 Před 7 měsíci

Got it very nice👍

• @silverlinkz
    @silverlinkz Před 4 lety +1

Amazing idea, I'm so going to use this hack. Been looking at awnings for a while now and just can't justify the price tags of some, that look no different to what you've done!! Thanks so much for sharing..

@sierrasurvivaladventures  Před 4 lety

thank you , it's funny getting your message today I am just back with my old friend who has the house on wheels and we were talking about it as I was putting up my awning

• @silverlinkz
      @silverlinkz Před 4 lety +1

@@sierrasurvivaladventures Its a shame I didn't find your vid sooner. I'm going away for the week tomorrow, so it would have been perfect, but i didn't have time to buy all the bits. I thought of having it delivered to where we are staying lol, but i'm sure we will survive another week without one!!

@@silverlinkz i canto dad photos con here but if you look for carl dobson (sierra survival) on face book you can se mire of my set up

• @johnbrownboots9884
    @johnbrownboots9884 Před 2 lety +1

A rubber ball on top of poles to keep cords in place. Or wood. Or a champayne cork.

• @nigelpotter2332
    @nigelpotter2332 Před 2 lety

Great idea....Nice one

• @hugodavies9111
    @hugodavies9111 Před 3 lety +1

Brilliant! Thanks.

• @johnkelenfoldi350
    @johnkelenfoldi350 Před 5 lety +1

does the job beautifully thumbs up and subscribed

• @benohanlon5569
    @benohanlon5569 Před 7 měsíci

I’ve done exactly the same setup o my Vivaro but used magnets with loops on and caribeaner instead of suction cups 👌🏼

• @t4lovers688
    @t4lovers688 Před 2 lety +1

I love it great job bro 👏

• @thenotorious2312
    @thenotorious2312 Před 5 lety +1

Nice 1. Great tip.

• @jeffwalker7185
    @jeffwalker7185 Před 10 měsíci

Strong magnets may also work to attach the tarp to the roof of the van - you can get magnets with hooks on them to attach directly to the tarp.

• @simn4694
    @simn4694 Před 4 lety +1

nice. very helpful 👍

• @naturelover_9211
    @naturelover_9211 Před 3 lety

Brilliant thank you for sharing idea.

• @monicavonr9029
    @monicavonr9029 Před 5 lety +1

I just bought this "suckers", thank you for this video :-)

• @MoE-il8yw
    @MoE-il8yw Před 4 lety

I did the same set up. Thanks for the tip. Cheers

• @mrchill1005
    @mrchill1005 Před 4 lety

Awesome im ordering those bits well done 👍

• @lesvoyagesdelouis6574
    @lesvoyagesdelouis6574 Před 6 měsíci

Cool!!

• @rodgestuart6301
    @rodgestuart6301 Před 3 lety

Brilliant tip mate, just bought all the bits for mine. Legend!

• @markbolster7876
    @markbolster7876 Před 4 lety

Very nice. I'm planning on doing the same, but will use 150lbs magnets that have eye screws built in. Small carabiners attach to tarp and magnet. Will use similar poles as you have. Thanks for the video!

I have also bought some magnets, they do seem to be a lot better than the suction cups which I now use for hanging my kayak gear when its wet

• @biscuitninja6115
      @biscuitninja6115 Před 4 lety

Hiya mark do you have a link by any chance for the magenets you used?

• @lacha608
    @lacha608 Před 4 lety

Awesome. Thanks for sharing!

• @lavanturera1133
    @lavanturera1133 Před 2 lety

Brilliant!

• @matttrut5955
    @matttrut5955 Před 2 lety

Love it!

• @thomasosullivan902
    @thomasosullivan902 Před 5 lety

Brilliant, going to do the same

• @vinniebarbarino-1
    @vinniebarbarino-1 Před 4 lety

Ditto ! Brilliant, cheers

• @sosteve9113
    @sosteve9113 Před 5 lety +1

We must think alike,I did exactly the same thing 👍

• @howardtennant5766
    @howardtennant5766 Před 3 lety +2

Wind out awning do not cost 3000 euros

• @branchsnapper2228
    @branchsnapper2228 Před 2 lety

This is exactly what I did. Great minds etc

• @lewissabin3884
    @lewissabin3884 Před 4 lety

Brilliant thank you

• @myme78
    @myme78 Před 4 lety

Good idea thanks~~

• @user-xx3nq3ei4j
    @user-xx3nq3ei4j Před rokem

Ciao,scusami ma la tenda dove l hai presa???

• @stefanbatorypolskikrol

cool!

• @c7uk
    @c7uk Před 4 lety +1

Nice... but just FYI a Fiamma 4.5m x 2.5m roll-out awning as fitted to the motorhome is around £700, not "three grand"!!

please share a link

@sierrasurvivaladventures  Před 4 lety +1

I found it thanks, but still a 20 quid price range is still better for me

• @c7uk
      @c7uk Před 4 lety +1

@@sierrasurvivaladventures - Oh absolutely, it was just FYI... I'll be doing something closer to your route :) although I think £20 is a little optimistic! More like £90 by following your links
      www.agentfiamma.co.uk/Fiamma-ZIP-F45-Motorhome-Awning-Canopy.html

• @JarDrp
    @JarDrp Před 4 lety

Clever

• @CutlerVisual
    @CutlerVisual Před 2 lety

You genius

• @mickyb1985
    @mickyb1985 Před 5 lety

brilliant, just saved me a few hundred quid

• @allanb52
    @allanb52 Před rokem

My Vivaro has roof bar holes, I just made hooks from fence wire and hooked them on. WARNING!! take the awning down at night, especially if you fear a storm, otherwise you may wreck the poles, or even damage your van. This awning is a sail and your poles are not masts!!!

• @brianreay4104
    @brianreay4104 Před 6 měsíci

Your estimate of a commercial awning price is very high. A Fiamma F45 available for as little as £500.

• @ltaylor3281
    @ltaylor3281 Před 2 lety

Them tarp poles are out of stock, any recommendations for some other poles.

• @tomjdesigns1280
    @tomjdesigns1280 Před 3 lety

Done same way, by the way £575 DOMETIC PERFECTWALL PW1100 AWNING 2.6m not 3k!

• @davidwaterhouse2552
    @davidwaterhouse2552 Před 4 lety

Hi pal, please can you share the links to the porducts that you are showing herer? I cant seem to find the right items. Much appreciated cheers dx

Hello, mate these are the links I used in a previous comment. let me know if they don't work
      czcams.com/users/redirect?event=comments&stzid=UgwehBmweM-EPw32od94AaABAg.8xPTt2aNK7N8xPV_aFTp8H&q=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.co.uk%2Fgp%2Fproduct%2FB01M59JPQ9%2Fref%3Dppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00%3Fie%3DUTF8%26psc%3D1&redir_token=bdr0-C_0EIL6-KAX5Wt70cEsPvd8MTU4NjQ5MDE5OEAxNTg2NDAzNzk4
      czcams.com/users/redirect?event=comments&stzid=UgwehBmweM-EPw32od94AaABAg.8xPTt2aNK7N8xPV_aFTp8H&q=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.co.uk%2Fgp%2Fproduct%2FB01B5YXMR2%2Fref%3Dppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00%3Fie%3DUTF8%26psc%3D1&redir_token=bdr0-C_0EIL6-KAX5Wt70cEsPvd8MTU4NjQ5MDE5OEAxNTg2NDAzNzk4

• @markhall3323
    @markhall3323 Před 3 lety

Good news friends...factory awning for VW California 6.1 is a bargain £200 option!

• @jacquidixon8242
    @jacquidixon8242 Před 4 lety

Do you have a link to the magnets you mentioned? Thank you

• @nuthnoe
      @nuthnoe Před 4 lety

Hi Jacqui, I just saw these on amazon :) www.amazon.co.uk/UniM-Magnetic-Neodymium-Recovery-Powerful/dp/B07KWX4B31/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=150lbs+magnets+that+have+eye+screws&qid=1593860541&s=sports&sr=8-1

• @jasonpugz
    @jasonpugz Před 5 lety

Do you have any links of where you purchased the items from ???
    Would love to have the same setup for my T5

@sierrasurvivaladventures  Před 5 lety +2

Here you go mate hope the links work
      www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01B5YXMR2/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
      www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01M59JPQ9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• @jasonpugz
      @jasonpugz Před 5 lety

Sierra Survival Carl Dobson thanks for your reply bud will be ordering them sorry to be a pain do you have a link to the actual awning cover as well ??
      Thanks loving the setup 👍

@sierrasurvivaladventures  Před 5 lety

@@jasonpugz hello mate I don't unfortunately. as I teach survival I have 5 of them but if you look on amazon for a 3x3 tarp it comes up with loads. I use them for hammok shelters. be sure not to get one that is too cheap though and the wind can rip them. this is a good one I use www.amazon.co.uk/Planet-Gear-Lightweight-Waterproof-Backpacking/dp/B07CL4GJ29/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=LA+gear+3x3+tarp&qid=1563434583&s=gateway&sr=8-1

• @christianreyna5161
    @christianreyna5161 Před 4 lety

Really nice idea! I read you also will use magnets, which one you suggest, sucker or magnet! Cheers!!

• @ollyspacedust4351
    @ollyspacedust4351 Před 3 lety +1

You should have patented this.

• @markienatnots9479
    @markienatnots9479 Před 4 lety

ARB awning £380

If anyone is interested check out the Did they steal my hack video. On my channel

• @thepoetdao2083
    @thepoetdao2083 Před 3 měsíci +1

That's exactly the set up I was going for and I have the same materials . . . but the suction cups just don't wanna stick to the roof of my sprinter van.. (they do stick fine on the windows but it's not a useful spot) that's the problem I am having 🥲🤷🏼

• @johnbrownboots9884
    @johnbrownboots9884 Před 2 lety

A rubber ball on top of poles to keep cords in place. Or wood. Or a champayne cork.