Thrustmaster's New Direct-Drive Has a Glaring Flaw... (T818)

Sdílet
Vložit
  • čas přidán 2. 01. 2023
  • I was excited to try out Thrustmaster's new T818 Direct-Drive but I came across this problem...
    ➤ My Sim Racing Gear:
    🔴 Wheel Base: www.6sigmasimracing.com/colle...
    🔴 Cockpit: www.6sigmasimracing.com/colle...
    🔴 Seat: www.6sigmasimracing.com/colle...
    🔴 Racing Wheel: www.6sigmasimracing.com/colle...
    🔴 Pedals: www.6sigmasimracing.com/colle...
    🟡Sim Racing Discounts/Affiliate Links 🟡
    ➤Fanatec: www.fanatec.com?FAP+Banner&OCRacing&General+Links&a_aid=OCRacing
    ➤Moza Racing: mozaracing.com/?ref=ocracing
    ➤ Camera Gimbal: www.gudsen.com/moza-aircross-2
    ➤ Music: www.epidemicsound.com/referra...
    Items linking to Amazon are a part of the Amazon Affiliate program in which I and my CZcams channel participate. This way you're directly contributing to the channel and helping me to improve my content (with no additional cost for you), Other affiliate links are also used. These contribute to my channel at no cost to you.
  • Hry

Komentáře • 576

• @gimmicboy
    @gimmicboy Před rokem +409

Whoever is responsible for this blunder needs to have a very in depth job review. That mount should be included. It’s irresponsible that they shipped it in that state.

• @beambox1421
      @beambox1421 Před rokem +13

it's not a blunder. it's a design choice. And you wont find someone to blame for this, It was certainly not a one guy decision. I would have taken the same decision has they did.

• @ItsFritzDaCat
      @ItsFritzDaCat Před rokem +16

@@beambox1421 makes zero sense. Like Apple charging $1000 for their stand, stupid "choice" ..

• @beambox1421
      @beambox1421 Před rokem +3

@@ItsFritzDaCat I don't understand your argument, the adaptor is not 400$ and adaptor don't give any additional functionality once installed.

• @danieldulberg2167
      @danieldulberg2167 Před rokem +13

It's clearly mentioned what comes in the box and what's an additional purchase. Also the drill holes of the wheelbase can be found on the manufacturer website. There should be no surprises

• @totaltechno7510
      @totaltechno7510 Před rokem +3

Thrust master does more of this stupid shit, on my tx-pc the power cable does not fit on a level surface, causing the cable to sit in a very kinked position. This has already ruined many races due to the cable popping out under vibrations. Also the screw holes are very poor and shallow (about 5 mm) i haven't found a screw that fits so it is now attached with a table clamp.

• @brdoyle14
    @brdoyle14 Před rokem +353

They should include the mount kit. Thrustmaster is not looking good through any part of this release

• @OCRacing
      @OCRacing  Před rokem +59

Yup, it should especially be included considering the price of this wheelbase & the fact that they literally know it won’t work on most cockpits

• @beambox1421
      @beambox1421 Před rokem +10

@@OCRacing we are talking about drilling 4 holes... even with the adaptor in the box, I would not use it.

• @AdamHKatona
      @AdamHKatona Před rokem +13

@@beambox1421 Still, it is laughable that you pay 650$ for a wheel that can't be mounted. How can such a large company be so cheap 😂

• @beambox1421
      @beambox1421 Před rokem +6

@@AdamHKatona can't be mounted? it's not like if there was no mounting holes on the base itself. If it was the case, I would agree with you.

• @brdoyle14
      @brdoyle14 Před rokem +14

@@beambox1421 yes, there are mounts, but it will not fit any stand. When you release a new product in this market that will not fit any existing stand and you know this you should either include the adapter or at the least let people know it will be required at time of purchase. Getting a product you have waited a year or two for only to have it unusable on arrival is a very large disappointment.

• @Michael-Ray
    @Michael-Ray Před rokem +73

Thrustmaster is truly good at innovating...different mounting patterns (which are not compatible with existing setups).

• @yddragon100
    @yddragon100 Před rokem +11

I saw that box that it was shipped in ....and I was already like "oh no"

• @beef24v
      @beef24v Před rokem +1

my box was like new

• @iRed.
    @iRed. Před rokem +49

For exactly the same price you can get the Simagic Alpha Mini Wheelbase which is smaller, has no plastic, better QR, a bit more power and probably has better FFB.

• @user-wq9mw2xz3j
      @user-wq9mw2xz3j Před rokem +7

that's Chinese and count the import fees and shipmemt cost, time, ease of access, returns/customer support etc

• @iRed.
      @iRed. Před rokem +2

@@user-wq9mw2xz3j For me it was 650€ with Taxes and Shipping. Warranty is arranged through the seller which is better than sending it to China.

• @user-wq9mw2xz3j
      @user-wq9mw2xz3j Před rokem +2

@@iRed. 25% more (and probably more shipping) here plus I'd still rather not buy from china, even if cheaper

• @iRed.
      @iRed. Před rokem +2

@@user-wq9mw2xz3j The Thrustmaster cost 650€. The same I payed for the Alpha Mini. And I bought it from a Belgium Shop so no problems there.

• @HPsawus
      @HPsawus Před rokem +10

Aye bruh I think thrustmaster is made in China as well you know

• @Corey27
    @Corey27 Před rokem +9

loving the vids! glad you didn't have any issues with shipping and actually getting the wheelbase, i know thats a big issue. haven't seen that mounting pattern before either, not sure what it would actually fit onto 🤔

• @adambuzzeo
    @adambuzzeo Před rokem +86

My first 2 wheels were thrustmaster products. I loved them, I was a fanboy and they had my undying loyalty. Until I tried something from another brand that was around the same price as my T300. Then I tried something else from another brand that was a little more and so on. I went to a CSL DD from my t300, and then from there, Today, I use a Sim Experience v2 Pro. Thrustmaster, while they will always hold a special place in my heart, has been too behind for too long. This kind of crap with the wheel plate, they knew when they made this that they were going to need a mounting plate. It was a conscious business decision to make extra money. They could have made the base in any other shape and or tweaked the chassis just a few mm and it would have been fine, but they didn't. The quick release is another turd for me. I get at the end of the day it's a plus for people with older TM wheels, but just use a regular quick release and design an adapter for that purpose. It's just another way to keep people locked in to an ecosystem. Everyone craps on fanatec about the csl dd power pack, and their eco system. Meanwhile Thrustmaster is over here doing the same thing just years later. Love the content OC, keep up the good work.

• @nossy232323
      @nossy232323 Před rokem +3

I love my Thrustmaster stuff, but the one thing that bothers me is that they use too much plastic for everything. Functionally there might not be much of a difference compared to metal, but it sure looks like a less premium product.

• @HPsawus
      @HPsawus Před rokem

Another weird thing about thrustmaster products. I found that the Logitech desk clamps work much better than the T300 wheelbase desk clamp. It’s kind of a nitpick because I’m sure the thrustmaster gear was designed for a sim rig, it was still notable enough when I upgraded my Logitech to a T300

• @WHO-ze5vn
      @WHO-ze5vn Před rokem

@@HPsawus My friend went from logitech to a T150, which yeah is old and outdated what have you, but he preferred the logitech purely from a build quality standpoint, his 150 squeaks like all hell and somehow managed to snap the desk clamp upon first time installation. I'm no logitech fanboy and was going to get a T300 myself but everything he's said about his has just put me off

• @HPsawus
      @HPsawus Před rokem +2

@@WHO-ze5vn I also managed to snap the T300 clamp 😂😂😂 I definitely think these were designed to be mounted onto rigs rather than clamped to desks, but I’ve been making it work. In terms of FFB quality I’m absolutely in heaven rn, long gone are the days of rattling FFB and waking everyone up. The pedals are also super smooth and quiet too, however they do not come with a carpet gripper like on the Logitech meaning you will have to prop it against something on carpet. I am currently using a flat piece of wood, wedged between the wall and pedals which stops the pedals from moving

• @HPsawus
      @HPsawus Před rokem +3

@@WHO-ze5vn if you ever get a T300 my advice is: put grease or oil in the threads of the clamp before tightening to a desk. It becomes really smooth and easy to tighten

• @DanDiMaggio
    @DanDiMaggio Před rokem +20

It sucks they don't include it but we've been having to drill holes for compatibility for years. Annoying but nothing new. Look forward to seeing your full thoughts once you get it up and going!

• @NWA_1919
      @NWA_1919 Před rokem +3

Dude for real, everyone in the comments is trashing the wheelbase for this.😆 It takes like legit 5 minutes to drill new holes to your cockpit.😂 And it's definitely not something that's new to mounting simracing gear. Are people these days really so helpless, that drilling a couple holes is this big of a deal?😂

• @DanDiMaggio
      @DanDiMaggio Před rokem +1

@@NWA_1919 my thoughts exactly. I’m just happy they finally released a DD.

• @CasyTheCriminal335
      @CasyTheCriminal335 Před 4 měsíci +1

While its not new the issue comes from 1: The price, 2: The fact that they made a bracket and didn’t include it and 3: The fact that the majority of dd wheelbases these days don’t have this issue. Don’t get me wrong, TM is pretty good but when you look around the market you’ll quickly realise they’re pretty over priced compared to other products with the same or even better specs

• @Nistical
    @Nistical Před rokem +2

Nice to see your still rocking with 6sigma mines holding up well

• @andrewvillegas7747
    @andrewvillegas7747 Před rokem +7

that $40 mounting plate is a textbook example of "adding insult to injury"

• @carsonhovercar7685
      @carsonhovercar7685 Před 3 měsíci

it was literally a deal breaker for me lol. I was going to buy this wheel but I didn't because of this. Went with Moza instead.

• @JSmith73
    @JSmith73 Před rokem +4

This makes me appreciate my SimCore *side mount* for my DD1/TR160 so much more - and the Fanatec design that allowed it. It's truly a vastly better mounting system.

• @ImKairyu
    @ImKairyu Před rokem +5

the hexagon looks cool, but not $40 mounting kit cool

• @dote5757
    @dote5757 Před rokem +5

8:09 , absolutely ridiculous. Remember, there were probably hundreds of people involved with the production of this thing, did none of them realize that the non-conventional mounting would be a problem?

• @beambox1421
      @beambox1421 Před rokem

drilling 4 holes takes probably les time than opining the box plug the cables.

• @smithp573
      @smithp573 Před rokem +2

Yes, of course they knew this. And that it was an opportunity. Used to see this is RC car racing all the time. Product "out of the box" is semi-OK, but if you wanted to optimise it you have to buy xyz part at a cost of $$. It's just a variation of built in obsolescence and is a fairly standard practice to incentivize you [the buyer] to spend a few more bucks. Their defence is you don't have to do it [drill the holes]. But if you want to then that is ultimately on you and it doesn't hurt them that you want to pay for it. Personally I think it's a short sighted move because deliberately p*ssing off your customers isn't a great move no matter how you shake it.

• @matthewbeale8570
      @matthewbeale8570 Před rokem +1

@@beambox1421 in this day and age. You shouldn't have to be drilling into your rig. To mount your drive...

• @dirtywindshield5034
    @dirtywindshield5034 Před rokem +6

$650 for that lol, when I can get a Simagic Alpha mini for $500 or the regular Alpha for $780... or the Moza R9 for $430.... I don't think so.

• @BoosiveFPV
    @BoosiveFPV Před rokem +4

The quick release looks so cheap like their other wheels. Thought they would made it more premium.

• @___Orca
    @___Orca Před rokem +3

I think we’ve all done the “Allen key will do” part lmao

• @MatthewPlaisance
    @MatthewPlaisance Před rokem +7

The fact that their documentation claims that they are always on the edge of innovation, or however they worded it, they are the last of the big mainstream companies to release a direct drive wheel, so it really seems like they just aren't actually paying that much attention to the market.

• @Puntatacosimuladores
      @Puntatacosimuladores Před rokem

And on top of that from what I heard they are for the first time taking a beating from Logitech lol

• @BayouJosh
    @BayouJosh Před rokem +1

Dude. so good. Loving this video style. inspiring. really. Making me want to get back into making videos.

• @Finn-pd6jq
    @Finn-pd6jq Před rokem +14

Hey OC, love the content. Keep it up!!

• @giogamer4825
    @giogamer4825 Před rokem +4

Owww looking forward to your review!! Especially with your experience with the DD Pro 8nm(?). So looking forward to the T818 vs DD Pro...bring it on

• @OCRacing
      @OCRacing  Před rokem +1

On it 🫡

• @giogamer4825
      @giogamer4825 Před rokem

@@OCRacing Strange that Thrustmaster did sent the T818, but NOT the cockpit add on, as it looks like it doesnt fit most of the cockpit (read: non!) 🤣

• @nathanmiller4222
    @nathanmiller4222 Před rokem +14

I'm an old man so ive got everything needed to just slam a few new holes down perfectly on those plates, but it does suck to not include that adapter.

• @JBBost
      @JBBost Před rokem +3

I'm a young man and I would have no problem either. Bless that dude's heart, he tried

• @0Synergy
      @0Synergy Před rokem +2

Same but I hate this modern idea of products not coming with everything you need to set them up.

• @MechanicalDrifting
    @MechanicalDrifting Před rokem +2

I love the fact that u didt order it and continue the review in the same video simply for the fact that you making the video this way shows everyone and especially thrustmaster that it’s a very huge flaw to not even include a cheaper alternative mount plate with the base or something definitely makes a statement i would still buy it and just drill those holes but the fact that u have to even deal with that is definitely a huge CON to many buyers not most ppl feel like drilling holes in their expensive rigs

• @Xplantycus
    @Xplantycus Před rokem +5

To be honest with Direct Drive you rarely use base plated anyway... just get 2 small 80/20 profiles to mount it

• @Garlic_Doggo
    @Garlic_Doggo Před rokem +7

The mounting kit should be 4 Z shaped (or that shape from Tetris) metal pieces that will help align the base to any cockpits. 4 extra screws included to mount the pieces to the mount, and the screws already in the box to mount the "fitting" metal pieces. 40 euros for an overengineered socket that is in pre-order? Not cool

• @pint_size_crawler
    @pint_size_crawler Před rokem +7

Completely agree, if they knew it would be an issue and it’s a “high end” wheel base 99% of people getting one have a cockpit to mount it on. Should switch the desk mount for the cockpit adapter and have the desk mount be the additional purchase.

• @victorchan4223
      @victorchan4223 Před rokem +1

I won't call it highend when the casing is plastic. And the plastic quick release?

• @WHO-ze5vn
      @WHO-ze5vn Před rokem +1

@@victorchan4223 I think the High-End comes with the price, if you're spending $650 I don't want something that isn't considered towards the higher-end. Although I completely agree with you on the plastic that's just cutting corners for more profit

• @Sithhy
      @Sithhy Před rokem

@@victorchan4223 It's not regular plastic, most likely nylon infused with some kind of fibers to make it stiffer & more durable

• @fad2679
    @fad2679 Před rokem +1

The editing and presentation of your videos is quite wonderful

• @jonathannix8671
    @jonathannix8671 Před rokem +8

I have never seen such a fuss about drilling 4 holes.The base could have been drilled & fitted by the time you had tried it on the other rigs.

• @beef24v
      @beef24v Před rokem +3

tell me about it and you only need to drill 2 as 2 of them line up with another wheel base. took me 10 minutes as I knew I was going to have to drill

• @matthewbeale8570
      @matthewbeale8570 Před rokem

In this day and age. You shouldn't need to be drilling into your rig. To mount a wheel base.

• @jonathannix8671
      @jonathannix8671 Před rokem

@@matthewbeale8570 for that to happen either the rig mounting base plate would have to have 100s of holes or the manufacturers would all have to have some agreed hole spacing.If you know what goes into basic manufacturing,then you know that is not always possible due to available material,costs etc.

• @matthewbeale8570

@@jonathannix8671 well considering they're all basic flat material and no obscure shapes or angles. My comment still stands.... "in this day and age. You shouldn't need to be drilling into your rig"...

• @alexbui1385
    @alexbui1385 Před rokem +3

Glad to see the VNM Pedals are still on your rig :D How are you liking them so far?

• @OCRacing
      @OCRacing  Před rokem +3

A lot! Not a big fan of the clutch but I love everything else

• @slaphead90
    @slaphead90 Před rokem +4

Errm, as I was buying my Simucube I did my research, and guess what, it needed an additional mounting kit (which cost more that the TM one)
    At least do your damned research first before slagging off the product. This is not TM's fault, this is your fault.

• @MrEDET
      @MrEDET Před rokem +1

Exactly. When I ordered my T818 I checked their website, decided I didn't want to drill holes myself so I ordered the mounting kit. Life can be so simple sometimes. ;)

• @burgerbait
    @burgerbait Před rokem +3

Always check compatibility before purchasing. I had to buy a mounting kit for my Fanatec CSL but it wasn't an issue because I checked what I'd need before I put the order in rather than just assuming. But then again if they just stuck with the standard instead of insisting on changing it because they wanted to make it a hexagon then they wouldn't have to worry.

• @Andybarney555
      @Andybarney555 Před rokem

How you check?. Dickweed. Plus point zero 2 of a second with s drill. Prob solved.

• @MalcomMcLeod
    @MalcomMcLeod Před rokem +13

Thrustmaster is just fumbling this new DD wheel release.

• @Dave062YT
    @Dave062YT Před rokem +13

Ive got a Logitech Gpro and the plastic clamp it comes with is so good and solid I've never bothered to look for the holes lol

• @snoopy_peanuts_77
      @snoopy_peanuts_77 Před rokem

Mine mounts to my rig fine in its triangle configuration...the clamp would get in the way of my knee moving around lol

• @Dave062YT
      @Dave062YT Před rokem +1

@@snoopy_peanuts_77 I don't see why it would if your seat and pedals are in the right place but cool I might look some day

• @antjones2281
      @antjones2281 Před rokem +1

Yup I also use the clamp, it's amazing. It's funny how people hear plastic and assume stuff .

• @Dave062YT
      @Dave062YT Před rokem +1

@@antjones2281 Tbh I was expecting very little from the clamp myself but it is absolutely rock solid

• @davehoffman515
    @davehoffman515 Před rokem +2

Time to start an Etsy shop 3d printing adapters

• @beambox1421
      @beambox1421 Před rokem

lets 3D design, print and ship instead of drilling 4 holes. Very smart cost analysis!

• @flyingphoenix113
      @flyingphoenix113 Před rokem +2

@Max Beam , not everyone owns a drill. I'm sure people would buy it if it was study enough. 🤷‍♂️

• @itsjusStorm
    @itsjusStorm Před rokem

Hey OC great video any word on the US release date for this?
    They said for the most part march, but havent heard anything and been try to comb the internet for any details no luck as of yet.
    Appreciate it!

• @DubuTrash
    @DubuTrash Před rokem +9

Man what an unfortunate flaw. And they know it won't work with most. So their solution is to not include the mounting kit. But charge extra for it, because they know people will buy it. Come on Thrustmaster. Whatever. I'll have my friend 3D print a mounting plate for me. 😊 Can't wait for the review. Really looking forward to your opinion on this. Because my T150 just gave out recently. So I'm ready for DD 🙂

• @WHO-ze5vn
      @WHO-ze5vn Před rokem

man if you're looking for DD at this price I'd look at simagic or even an R9, something a bit more proven. Even TM fanboys are saying the overall release of this thing is just turning into a meme

• @Jonah-Hosein
    @Jonah-Hosein Před rokem

Fun fact there is still alot of pedal manufacturers that have this problem. No matter if the pedals are super expensive. Its just one of those things. A friend of mine got his T818, and had this issue on his rig, all he did was add rubber feet to the bottom of the base. He then mounted a small bit of wood or metal plate there drilled a hole in it mounted it to the base. Put the base down and on the other end of the metal plate he drilled another to line up with the holes on his wheel deck of his cockpit. Simple fix.

• @prxject415
    @prxject415 Před rokem +1

What's so hilarious is you were so impatient you didnt want to get a knife and ultimately not getting the knife makes it take even longer. And i will still do it everytime Lmaoooo Great Video Man!

• @itranscendencei7964
    @itranscendencei7964 Před rokem +38

To be completely honest, the fact that Moza released the R5 5.5nm DD wheelbase for $350 USD has COMPLETELY invalidated Thrustmaster's entire line up of wheelbases. The only one I could recommend in 2023 is the T300, and that's only if you need to save every penny and can find it for $200 or less. Everything else from them is actually just a waste of money at this point. You can get better performance for less money elsewhere.
    This thing was just a meme the moment it was announced. I'm sure some people were excited for it, but everyone I talk to just laughed about when I talked to them about it. If you're looking to buy a DD wheelbase in 2023, there is literally no reason to buy anything other than Moza, Simagic, or Simcube. Moza for entry level DD, Simagic for best bang for the buck, and Simcube for the absolute best.

• @THESHADOW97139
      @THESHADOW97139 Před rokem +2

I agree....BUT.... Moza is still not compatible with consoles.
      So the Thrustmaster bases are still in the game

• @itranscendencei7964
      @itranscendencei7964 Před rokem +15

There's a reason all of the companies I mentioned don't support console. It's just not worth it. I don't understand why anyone would be sim racing on a console at this point, personally, other than not having the funds for a PC. At that point though, you wouldn't be looking at a product that's not DD. You would be better off getting the T300, like I previously mentioned. My original point also still stands. All their wheelbases are a complete waste of money now because of their price to performance ratio. If you're buying a shit wheelbase because of a console, then the wheelbase isn't the issue. The issue is that you have a console. I wouldn't be trying to spend hundreds of dollars on a sim setup if I didn't even have a PC.

• @aident0642
      @aident0642 Před rokem +11

@@itranscendencei7964 This is quite a PC Elitest comment.
      Many dont want the hassle of owning a PC. We are talking about hobbyists. They still wanna play on console because its easier and its what all the people they play with are on. Also its much easier to diognose a console than a PC.
      My dad could afford a PC and DD wheel however he doesnt want to as he enjoys being on a console.

• @victorchan4223
      @victorchan4223 Před rokem +6

@@aident0642 Most console players would be happy just using the controllers. They won't spend over $1k for a wheelbase system. Some would but few. That's probably a license fee for the wheelbase manufacturers to make their system console compatible as well...

• @omurize2007
      @omurize2007 Před rokem +2

@@THESHADOW97139 because there simply isn't really any real market, aside from already established brands like Logitech, Thrustmaster and Fanatec, it's simply not worth the licensing cost for just a handful of players and simply too few games, plus most console players won't want the hassle of owning and setting up a PC, so it would be contradictory to have something that requires a lot of setup, not to mention having to dumb the system down (again for console players) because most DD wheels that are not from the mainstream three mostly rely on software to set it all up (like Moza Pit House)

• @kolysion164
    @kolysion164 Před rokem +2

I have paid 1500€ my SImucube 2 and there isn't any mount included, if you can't read that it needs an additionnal part, I'm not sure you can use a wheel, there is a gamepad.

• @nukedogger86
    @nukedogger86 Před rokem +1

Not shocked. Most of the other companies sell a separate mounting bracket for similar costs, least the ones I've seen. But, with TM, it is one of those "come on now" moments. Also, 4 rigs? Man I feel a way having 1.5 rigs (GT Omega Prime being constructed waiting on my new Alpha Mini while I run my DX Racer/G27).

• @ParlierEddy
    @ParlierEddy Před rokem +5

For me it's the good choice because personally I don't want to pay an additional adaptor if I have already a drill at home. The drilling document is available on the website of the product. It taken for me only 10 minutes to install the T818 base on my rig.

• @noot3778
    @noot3778 Před rokem +1

one question: what do you need four cockpits for?

• @nossy232323
    @nossy232323 Před rokem

I was already wondering about that. I also have Next Level Gaming rig to mount the motor on. Thanks to yout video I now know I will need the extra adaptor kit!

• @norwaynachos1044
    @norwaynachos1044 Před rokem +1

What a beatiful Christmas gift 😘

• @anomalychasing5383
    @anomalychasing5383 Před rokem

Shopping for my first upgrade and was considering this. Bolt holes arent a huge deal, but the "burning plastic" smell alot mention is not ideal. I only race in VR, id imagine Id be checking for fires every 5 mins with that smell in the house.

• @gamefreakdanielBIGD
    @gamefreakdanielBIGD Před rokem

Very good video overall, nice review 👍 good editing

• @basdebree
    @basdebree Před rokem +8

I just received my thrustmaster wheel base and also ordered the mounting clamp. I was expecting this was not going to fit because of the shape and trustmaster selling these additional mounting clamps was going to be the solution. Still, I rather have this thrustmaster shape than the horrific logitech DD wheel design. Anyway, great DD wheel from Thrustmaster loving every minute of it. Good value for money (but also order the mounting clamp!)!👌

• @snoopy_peanuts_77
      @snoopy_peanuts_77 Před rokem +3

I have the logitech.....yes its big and bulky but mounts to anything and the quality of the performance will make you quickly forget about its girth

• @antjones2281
      @antjones2281 Před rokem +2

I have the LogiDD and prefer it's look to the thrustmaster , to each his own I guess..

• @buddy5088
      @buddy5088 Před rokem +1

Logitech DD wheel is incredible. I owned the Fanatec DD Pro and just switched to the Logitech G Pro wheel and pedals. I’ll never go back. True force is insane. Playing games without it feels weird. None of the wheels I’ve used compare to it except my buddy’s simcube pro. I think I would still prefer the Logitech wheel. Only down side is you can’t use ANY other peripherals with their set up. There is no compatible shifter either. Hopefully they release other peripherals soon.

• @atemybanana724
    @atemybanana724 Před rokem +6

Man just imagine buying that after switching to direct drives. Already frustrating to set it up.

• @jorn-jorenjorenson5028
      @jorn-jorenjorenson5028 Před rokem +4

Or imagine looking at the description, maybe asking yourself "why do they sell a mounting adapter?", then looking up the measurements of the holes and make a decision to either drill or buy the adapter. Or buy another base. No frustration. I did drill the holes and I am happy, because I can keep my old TM rims. : )

• @monkey.moments8272
      @monkey.moments8272 Před rokem +3

@@jorn-jorenjorenson5028 this is literally a press released model that they shipped without a mounting adapter

• @Sithhy
      @Sithhy Před rokem +1

@@monkey.moments8272 Will the consumer model actually include a "proper" mounting plate?

• @monkey.moments8272
      @monkey.moments8272 Před rokem +1

@@Sithhy with the way this is going prolly not

• @Team_SpaceX
    @Team_SpaceX Před rokem +1

It does look very good good vid oc!

• @Surviank
    @Surviank Před rokem +8

Thrustmaster about to see how loyal their fanbase really is... potentially going on the fact their other wheels are compatible and people will want to stick with them. Crazy business decision on their part, when there are a number of ways they could have addressed the compatibility without additional purchases.

• @InstinctRacer
    @InstinctRacer Před rokem +2

🤣 Can't wait to see the full review, so far not looking good for Thrustmaster. I love your videos 🔥 The Work & and Storytelling is incredible. I wish more Followers and view for 2023 happy new year.

• @beef24v
      @beef24v Před rokem +1

not looking good for Thrustmaster because someone cant use a drill hahahahahaha

• @matthewbeale8570
      @matthewbeale8570 Před rokem +1

@@beef24v in this day and age you shouldn't have to use a drill. Ever heard of thing called consumer friendly? This is definitely not..

• @FunkygibsFunkFilledAdventures

My Moza r5 comes with a desk mount which is what I need, I am not sure what it's rig mounting compatibility is but I would bet it fits most.

• @joel_1946
    @joel_1946 Před rokem

I drilled some holes easy and fast so good and i think much better than the "mounting plate".

• @brendonbrown982
    @brendonbrown982 Před rokem +1

bro the shaky cam is out of control, good god

• @corvetteracing4
    @corvetteracing4 Před rokem

you have to buy an adapter to mount most DD wheels? not understanding whats the difference here?

• @olahaldor
    @olahaldor Před rokem

I waited for this base last year after a few months of teasing, only for them to tease even more. Super happy i went with the CSL DD..

• @linchester8464
    @linchester8464 Před rokem +3

Bruh...
    asking for 40 Euros more for a non-standard mounting on top of a 650 bucks wheel base is a deal breaker for me.
    I rather pay my hard earn cash on Fanatec or get the Logitech Direct drive which fits onto my existing base which i used since the G27/G29 days.

• @Sithhy
      @Sithhy Před rokem

Have fun paying 100€ or more if you want to use a custom steering wheel on your Fanatec setup

• @moto5642
    @moto5642 Před rokem +2

It would've taken u about 3 minutes to measure and drill holes on your cockpit. Cmon oscar!!!

• @matthewbeale8570

In this day and age. You shouldn't need to be drilling into your rig to mount a wheel base

• @mlachance001
    @mlachance001 Před 5 měsíci

They now include the deskmount / cockpit mount adapter at least with the Ferrari bundle.

• @wagonet
    @wagonet Před rokem

Great video. Thanks

• @polpox12
    @polpox12 Před rokem

Can´t expect it would magically work on older cockpits there is no standard for mounting holes :)

• @nathantw
    @nathantw Před rokem +1

Next time you need to measure if the holes match just get a piece of paper, place it on the bottom of the unit and punch a hole where the screws go and then bring it to your cockpit mounting plate and see if the holes line up. Easier than measuring.
    Truthfully I would have boxed it back up and sent it back instead of buying an expensive mounting kit. I guess Thrustmaster's marketing gurus said $650 looks better than $700 so lets not include the $50 mounting kit.

• @planetcze7994
    @planetcze7994 Před rokem

How many simracing setups you have at home💀Nice vid

• @razoreddy9225
    @razoreddy9225 Před rokem

I personally don't like the hexagonal shape, though I can understand why many do. The market has become very "same-y". I really do however, worry about the longevity and stability of the hex base as the mount surface is far more narrow then the normal box and I have to imagine the forces applied at full FFB might require some serious grade-8 bolts lol.

• @SroedingerCat
      @SroedingerCat Před 5 měsíci

In fact when you come to DD's you already don't give a shit adout how it looks, youronly concern is how it works.
      However, with the power under 10Nm it can be anything, it is mot THAT MUCH power.

• @erikgonzalez2486
    @erikgonzalez2486 Před 8 měsíci +1

I laughed so hard when you said I don’t think anyone’s going to complain about the shape and design 😂😂

• @yoboirg9520
    @yoboirg9520 Před rokem

0:58 looks like the box took a good shower XD

• @TheShazExperience
    @TheShazExperience Před 4 měsíci

Screw the T818but how does the new SF1000 wheel work with the TS500?

• @BrunoBarata78
    @BrunoBarata78 Před rokem

I thought it was the cockpits that are suposed to be compatible with existing wheel bases. Not the other way around. New wheels coming out may certainly be compatible with things that are already out. But... they don't have to. I'm sure cockpits coming out in the future will include holes for this wheel. But I've never heard the argument that wheels had to fit cockpits.

• @gunnimikki
    @gunnimikki Před rokem

You can use a desk mount as a cockpit mount

• @teggsy2165
    @teggsy2165 Před rokem +1

Glad i bought the Logitech Pro i rekon the included clamp will fit any setup it's just such a good design.

• @Cbop777
    @Cbop777 Před rokem +1

Hi OC. Dude your vids are sooooooooooooo entertaining to watch. Keep doing what you do. Face reveal at 100K?

• @BVDsGoneFishing
    @BVDsGoneFishing Před rokem +3

Imagine the frustration of buying a new wheel and having to reorder the mounting kit. FAIL

• @ACCLongy01
    @ACCLongy01 Před rokem +2

Wow, there is 10 mins of my life I'll never get back!

• @atanner886
    @atanner886 Před 2 měsíci

Had to use mounting bracket that came with mine

• @motgenix6729
    @motgenix6729 Před rokem

Hey oc love the content

• @sM-kw8xo
    @sM-kw8xo Před rokem

Lol I bought the cockpit mounting kit and that still didn't align to my playseat trophy. Drilled holes in the end.

• @michaelclough9499
    @michaelclough9499 Před rokem +2

Come on man. Those mounting decks you tried were created to fit the wheel bases on the market at the time. This is a new product. Nobody is going to be talking about this when the cockpit manufacturers catch up.

• @CyberGhost308
    @CyberGhost308 Před rokem +1

You are supposed to buy the cockpit mounting kit or the desktop mounting kit.
    TM was trying to save you money by not including both mounting kits.
    Notice that both mounts have an angle since the base isnt supposed to be mounted flat.

• @wakosfliptable
      @wakosfliptable Před rokem +1

TM trying to save people money should be designing their wheelbase so it fits their universal bolt pattern standard. There's absolute zero reason they are not able to do that at the first place. When they can design backwards compatibility for their quick release, they can design backwards compatibility for mounting. Absolutely no brainer

• @CyberGhost308
      @CyberGhost308 Před rokem

@@wakosfliptable Maybe they were focused on designing a product that preforms well. Guess they should've hired you since your such a design genius that can make any design work regardless of dimensions, materials and cost without impacting all the other components. Thrustmaster puts out a good competitive product but you guys need to find something to complain about I guess. At least complain about a real issue like the firmware.

• @Damian-jp5fp
    @Damian-jp5fp Před rokem +2

i was going to buy it...but i dont want to destroy my wheelbases waranty...guess im switching to moza or fanatec

• @beambox1421
      @beambox1421 Před rokem +2

wheel base warranty? if drilling 4 holes on the mounting plate void your warranty, I think the problem is with the cockpit manufacturer!

• @DanielTorres-yg8bl
    @DanielTorres-yg8bl Před rokem +2

hey oc can you make a series when you try drifting in assetto corsa or carx i bet it would be really fun and it would probably get views

• @OCRacing
      @OCRacing  Před rokem +3

I’m so bad at drifting I don’t think anyone will want to watch that 😂

• @DanielTorres-yg8bl
      @DanielTorres-yg8bl Před rokem

@@OCRacing ive learned even if your terrible people would watch it i mean have you seen your iracing series

• @sinz1875
    @sinz1875 Před rokem

That Box needs a blessing.

• @kmw8032
    @kmw8032 Před 11 dny

Looks to me like TM made a massive error here. There are mounting holes on the NLR GT Elite wheel plate measuring 79mm across, and 63mm front to back, but Thrustmaster set their mounting holes on the T818 at 79mm front to back and 63mm across. Too much of a coincidence I think.

• @BenDunlop
    @BenDunlop Před rokem +1

Every ad I got while watching this was for Fanatec. They're clearly concerned about thrustmaster offering a DD 😅

• @OCRacing
      @OCRacing  Před rokem +1

I noticed that as well 😂

• @jedi-mic
    @jedi-mic Před rokem

You can get two strips of flat bar and drill the hole in that countersink make sure the boats are not too long

• @freeemail6299
    @freeemail6299 Před rokem

As a member of a sim racing community, I didn't know this exists and definitely wasn't waiting for it lol

• @mbardos
    @mbardos Před rokem +1

For all the people considering drilling 4 holes difficult, buy the adapter. Real men download the hole pattern from their site and drill them holes in 5 minutes.

• @OceanTechh
    @OceanTechh Před rokem

I'm still waiting for the instructions, I like to follow everything to the letter, we'll see when they arrive ;))))))))

• @on1ons333
    @on1ons333 Před rokem +1

Could be a way to get the initial cost of the wheel down, drilling holes in the rig is not that big of a deal since it's a one time thing, that $40 mounting kit would've costed the wheel $40 more and such might be less appealing.

• @Zaroff91
      @Zaroff91 Před rokem +1

lol what? nope.

• @on1ons333
      @on1ons333 Před rokem +1

Other companies like Fanatec who released their dd1 sold the mounting bracket separately, so why does Fanatec get a pass and not TM? And it probably costs $40 for the mounting bracket cause it has to support a heavy load which is the wheelbase

• @Zaroff91
      @Zaroff91 Před rokem +1

@@on1ons333 they should've just made the wheelbase slightly bigger to fit the standard mounting holes

• @on1ons333
      @on1ons333 Před rokem

It's not thrustmaster fault it's a new design for mounting

• @on1ons333
      @on1ons333 Před rokem

Drilling holes isn't that hard

• @gulfcoaster210
    @gulfcoaster210 Před rokem +1

Atleast it has mounting holes….. simucube can’t be mounted without the separate purchase of a mount period

• @Sponge1310
    @Sponge1310 Před rokem +3

Definitely a major cockup by Thrustmaster… They should have kept in mind - FROM THE BEGINNING - that they should use a ‘standard’ hole pattern so their product would fit more cockpits…

• @beambox1421
      @beambox1421 Před rokem +1

what is a standard bolt pattern? this pattern will be standard in near future. cockpit manufacturer will add it soon.

• @Sithhy
      @Sithhy Před rokem

@@beambox1421 Whatever Fanatec uses, I guess

• @mosey4650
    @mosey4650 Před rokem

this is laghable, lol. I have to admit, i have no idea if my GTOmega Titan cockpit will accept the inbound Asetek La Prima i pre ordered. Fingers crossed.

• @rynosraceroom66
    @rynosraceroom66 Před rokem

Any way I can buy that Fanatec ?

• @diedforurwins
    @diedforurwins Před rokem +2

Right on brand for thrustmaster.

• @RonaldRegain
    @RonaldRegain Před rokem +1

Ima kinda excited bout this base

• @cat-yi9cg
    @cat-yi9cg Před rokem +2

I really wish the moza r5 was console supported

• @edan7813
    @edan7813 Před rokem +1

you should review the logitech g pro direct drive wheel

• @CyberJohn_TitanicModelBuilder

Man, this sucks so much. I am looking forward to buy this DD base. I have a Playseat Evolution and i guess it wont fit on it either. Thanks for the info.

• @Vanka7a47
    @Vanka7a47 Před rokem

Do I need H-Shifter with 7th gear? Is it necessary?

• @richardpinter4688
    @richardpinter4688 Před rokem +2

"Because of the narrowness of the base... bla bla" but You( as in Thrustmaster) made the frickin base the size it is. Why did you guys not make it a tiny bit wider? Or at least throw in a free desk clamp? Nah, buy an extra 40$/€ accessory on top.

• @gsam_dad5540
    @gsam_dad5540 Před rokem +1

Really? It's a very easy job to drill new holes and sim racers have been doing just that for years...and if that is to much trouble, buy the mounting kit, at the current price this thing is so much better value than the limp Fanatec CSL which is only half decent after spending an additional 149 euros for a 3 Nm boost kit.