Lognormal value at risk (VaR, FRM T5-01)

Sdílet
Vložit
  • čas přidán 5. 06. 2024
  • Welcome to the first video in this new playlist that is devoted to Topic 5 in the FRM. Topic 5, Market Risk, is the first topic in Part 2. We will start here by comparing normal to lognormal VaR and, specifically, we are going to generalize to absolute VaR. Absolute VaR generalizes the relative VaR so it's the complete version of VaR. The key thing that we are going to do here is look at four different use cases so we can compare normal VaR to lognormal VaR in the single-period case. Normal is when we assume that the arithmetic returns are normally distributed and lognormal is when we assume that the geometric returns are normally distributed.
    💡 Discuss this video here in our forum: trtl.bz/2k2CzKA
    👉 Subscribe here / bionicturtl. .
    to be notified of future tutorials on expert finance and data science, including the Financial Risk Manager (FRM), the Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA), and R Programming!
    ❓ If you have questions or want to discuss this video further, please visit our support forum (which has over 50,000 members) located at bionicturtle.com/forum
    🐢 You can also register as a member of our site (for free!) at www.bionicturtle.com/register/
    📧 Our email contact is support@bionicturtle.com (I can also be personally reached at davidh@bionicturtle.com)
    For other videos in our Financial Risk Manager (FRM) series, visit these playlists:
    Texas Instruments BA II+ Calculator
    • Texas Instruments BA I...
    Risk Foundations (FRM Topic 1)
    • Risk Foundations (FRM ...
    Quantitative Analysis (FRM Topic 2)
    • Quantitative Analysis ...
    Financial Markets and Products: Intro to Derivatives (FRM Topic 3, Hull Ch 1-7)
    • Financial Markets and ...
    Financial Markets and Products: Option Trading Strategies (FRM Topic 3, Hull Ch 10-12)
    • Financial Markets and ...
    FM&P: Intro to Derivatives: Exotic options (FRM Topic 3)
    • FM&P: Intro to Derivat...
    Valuation and Risk Models (FRM Topic 4)
    • Valuation and RIsk Mod...
    Market Risk (FRM Topic 5)
    • Market Risk (FRM Topic 5)
    Coming soon ....
    Credit Risk (FRM Topic 6)
    Operational Risk (FRM Topic 7)
    Investment Risk (FRM Topic 8)
    Current Issues (FRM Topic 9)
    For videos in our Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) series, visit these playlists:
    Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) Level 1 Volume 1
    • Level 1 Chartered Fina...
    #bionicturtle #risk #financialriskmanager #FRM #finance #expertfinance
    Our videos carefully comply with U.S. copyright law which we take seriously. Any third-party images used in this video honor their specific license agreements. We occasionally purchase images with our account under a royalty-free license at 123rf.com (see www.123rf.com/license.php); we also use free and purchased images from our account at canva.com (see about.canva.com/license-agree.... In particular, the new thumbnails are generated in canva.com. Please contact support@bionicturtle.com or davidh@bionicturtle.com if you have any questions, issues or concerns.

Komentáře • 13

• @rhercula
    @rhercula Před 4 lety +1

This is a great review... I am definitely recommending to my friends... Thanks!

• @andreast2168
    @andreast2168 Před 3 lety

Incredible explanation. Awesome!

• @Blueshockful
    @Blueshockful Před 4 lety +1

this is awesome. you're literally saving my life. Thanks a ton

• @reubenjustice9657
      @reubenjustice9657 Před 3 lety

dont know if you guys gives a damn but if you guys are stoned like me during the covid times you can stream all of the latest movies and series on instaflixxer. I've been binge watching with my girlfriend for the last few months =)

• @jamalconor4225
      @jamalconor4225 Před 3 lety

@Reuben Justice Yea, I've been using instaflixxer for since november myself :D

• @plotus1937
    @plotus1937 Před 3 lety

This is a little tangential. But I tried comparing these parameterized versions of calculating not necessarily VaR, but the 5th percentile portfolio value of an asset in 30 years. So I scaled mean return and stdev to 30 years and just used norminv(0.05, scaled_mean, scaled_stddev). I noticed that this value seems very far from the 5th percentile portfolio value if I run a Monte-Carlo simulation. In fact the further away the percentiles are from median, the more extreme the difference in these two methods. Do you know why this would be the case? To set up my MC simulation I used the arithmetic mean instead of geometric to account for volatility drift, but still the same stddev of the normal returns.

• @elinab376
    @elinab376 Před 4 lety

Hello there, could you please share what is your opinion about this rather new designation CFI ( corporate finance institute ) and their financial modelling certification> Thank you in advance!

• @nononnomonohjghdgdshrsrhsjgd

In the case of log returns (after minute 14) the mean and variance are calculated from the ln(Pt/Pt-1), right? To be more exact in my question: in the VaR-term (1- exp(Mean-Sigma x Z)), the mean and sigma are derived from the ln(Pt-Pt-1)-returns, and in the VaR (Mean-Sigma x Z) the mean and variance are based on the arithmetic returns (Pt/Pt-1)?

• @bionicturtle
      @bionicturtle  Před 3 lety +1

Yes, that is *correct* ! An arithmetic (aka, simple) return = P_t/P_t-1 - 1 and "normal" aVaR = -μ + σ*Z assumes these arithmetic returns have a normal distribution. A geometric return = ln(P_t/P_t-1) and "lognormal" aVaR = 1 - exp(μ - σ*Z) assumes these geometric returns have a normal distribution which, in turn, implies the price, P_t, has a lognormal distribution. If r = ln(P_t/P_t-1), then it follows that the VaR quantile must be at P_t-1*[1 - exp(μ - σ*Z)]. Thanks,

• @nononnomonohjghdgdshrsrhsjgd
      @nononnomonohjghdgdshrsrhsjgd Před 3 lety

@@bionicturtle I thank you for the answer. I have second question: GBM is the case of Brownian motion when we use the mean and variance from log(returns) in the Monte Carlo Simulation. Brownian Motion is called for the case of arithmetic returns?

• @samirhantour8979
    @samirhantour8979 Před 4 lety

Very nice and thank you very much! What if the mue is higher than sigma? Let's say mue = 2% and sigma = 1% at 95% confidence. How can the result be interpreted?

• @MR-ys4ui
    @MR-ys4ui Před 2 lety

Sorry, could you please explain how in Normal VaR calculations you obtained relative % drift and relative % standard deviation for arithmetic returns. Doesn't the assumption of arithmetic returns implies that the drift and standard deviation are in expressed in absolute (money) values rather than %? How do you calculate the drift and standard deviation for absolute returns such that the result is a % drift and % standard deviation? These two seem to be contradictory to me. Thank you

• @Fuad2016
    @Fuad2016 Před 3 lety +1

So.
    LogVar(%) = 1 - exp(-NorVar(%))