12 Cooking Herbs every Cook should know about !

Sdílet
Vložit
  • čas přidán 7. 06. 2024
  • Who are they ? How to identify them ? What to cook with them ?
    All the answers in this video. Culinary herbs ( aka Aromatic herbs ) are a perfect way to add flavors, tastes and freshness in a dish. I just love them.
    Sage, Thyme, Rosemary, Parsley, Coriander, Cilantro, Bay leaf, Chive, Mint, Tarragon, Oregano... Gotta love these cooking herbs.
    * LOVE & SUPPORT *
    Support my work on : / frenchguycooking
    --
    Patreon is a cool way for creators to achieve a sustainable income by being financially supported by their lovely community ! You get to do something GOOD and, icing on cake, you also get different types of rewards !
    * SUBTITLES *
    You want to Help everyone understand that F* French ??
    Submit your own subtitle in any language here : czcams.com/users/timedtext_cs_p...
    * MERCH *
    I have my own BRAND ! Stickers, posters and Pizza Shirt and Power-drill guns in the kitchen :) Buy them and support the French Guy's adventures on : www.dftba.com/frenchguycooking
    * FACEBOOK *
    / frenchguycooking for mouth watering photos and good discussions ;)
    * INSTAGRAM *
    / frenchguycooking
    * TWITTER *
    / frenchguycookin
    * COOKBOOK PROJECT *
    I am thinking of making an über cool cookbook, so if you are interested, drop me a line there : www.frenchguycooking.com/the-c...
    Lots of love,
    Alex
  • Jak na to + styl

Komentáře • 473

• @smdmofo1530
    @smdmofo1530 Před 9 lety +36

it just makes me happy that over half these are in my garden

• @esprikitikkk
    @esprikitikkk Před 7 lety +53

this is a thymeless classic.

• @keszter80
    @keszter80 Před 9 lety +22

Apart from loving your videos, I love that kindness that come through every single time you make a video. You seem a very nice person.:)

• @aamu3
      @aamu3 Před 2 lety

i agreeee

• @itsmeganaimee
    @itsmeganaimee Před 5 lety +1

Parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme gravy screams Christmas to me.

• @CorneliusSneedley
    @CorneliusSneedley Před 9 lety +21

Thanks for this. We see so many chefs use herbs, but rarely do we see something that tells us why this herb and not that one. I would like to see you expand on this with a video on dried herbs and spices. Of course fresh is often best, but lets face it, we all use dried at least at times.

• @FrenchGuyCooking
      @FrenchGuyCooking  Před 9 lety

CorneliusSneedley :) Use dried herbs with same ingredients that were mentioned in the video. And spices will come in a video, eventually

• @joshuamacdonald4913
    @joshuamacdonald4913 Před 6 lety +1

Summer savory is one of my go to's. Great for poultry and game but I use it on everything.

• @shanepasha6501
    @shanepasha6501 Před 6 lety +1

The best Herb analysis I have seen on CZcams. Merci Alex.

• @MissAliyyah
    @MissAliyyah Před 9 lety +3

Would be fun to do a '12 days of herb' special, showcasing each herb in a dish. Love your vids as always.

• @LoveoftheDarkFiberArts
    @LoveoftheDarkFiberArts Před 6 lety +2

I just found you a couple days ago, and you have quickly become my favorite Cooking Channel! :)

• @wwsuwannee7993
    @wwsuwannee7993 Před 6 lety

Creamed rabbit stew and tarragon....the herb with no explanation. Superb.

• @cattsamm.
    @cattsamm. Před 5 lety +1

I also feel the same way.. I feel like a star chef whenever I use basil in cooking. :)

• @terustalcup6481
    @terustalcup6481 Před 5 lety

Ty for the videos. Nicely done short and great info. You the man Alex!

• @fagetaboutit4968
    @fagetaboutit4968 Před 9 lety +43

i feel sorry for people who cant eat cilantro, hispanic and middle eastern dishes are both heavy on it and are my favorites.

• @FrenchGuyCooking
      @FrenchGuyCooking  Před 9 lety +6

Fageta Boutit I feel a bit sorry for them too.

• @DanHughesNC
      @DanHughesNC Před 6 lety

I'm one of them too. It can actually make me retch if it catches me off guard.

• @claja_
      @claja_ Před 4 lety

It tastes like soap to me, but I eat it anyway since my dad likes to cook with it.

• @heyreeen
      @heyreeen Před 4 lety +3

*Binging with Babish has left the chat.*

• @QuiChiYang2
      @QuiChiYang2 Před 3 lety +2

On top of the fact that cilantro is a heavy metal chelating herb. It help the body get rid of aluminum & 🤔?🤔😶?

• @rowanrobinson
    @rowanrobinson Před 6 lety

For me herbs as well as spices are the key to being able to cook well. Anyone can grow (a few) of them no matter where they live, and you they add SO much to your cooking.

• @ntombikayisetshunungwa5062

doing a short course on culinary training very grateful for your help

• @isiartdotcom
    @isiartdotcom Před 9 lety +1

Don't forget good old fennel. It is one of my favourites, fresh, ground or the seeds are all beautiful to cook with. Great video thanks.

• @bangbangpops1
    @bangbangpops1 Před 6 lety

Short, sweet, funny, informative. Thanks!

• @velvaknapp3789
    @velvaknapp3789 Před 8 lety +2

Excellent!

• @biekery
    @biekery Před 9 lety +1

I love the way you talk about food so passionately!

• @LaraMayLMT
    @LaraMayLMT Před 9 lety +2

I really just love your videos! Quirky, informational, fun.. and scrumptuous! Thanks for sharing :)

• @nonnadino
    @nonnadino Před 7 lety +27

Bay leaf is one of THE MOST USED herb in the Palestinian kitchen... it's spectacular with beef.

• @moriahjohnthejohnsons718

I loved this!

• @mnash3
    @mnash3 Před 7 lety +1

Thanks for sharing your experience. Cool Vid....

• @Cladman3001
    @Cladman3001 Před 8 lety

Merci, I lived near Bethune many years ago, and fell in love with the French Cuisine. I live now in Northeast Tennessee. A bientot!

• @BearSugarx
    @BearSugarx Před 9 lety +1

Very helpful and creative video, thanks!

• @patricia19551
    @patricia19551 Před 3 lety +1

Thank you ,great job.

• @estordavid5512
    @estordavid5512 Před 3 lety

Thanks a lot God bless you and your family too, take care of yourself and your family too,

• @HarpreetSingh-vt6qo
    @HarpreetSingh-vt6qo Před 9 lety +1

I'm always looking a video like this.
    Its a great video which i think is underated in cooking at home.

• @mbd4331
    @mbd4331 Před 3 lety

Ugh such an awesome resource concentrated herb knowledge thank u!

• @melaniegastiger
    @melaniegastiger Před 9 lety +2

This might be my favourite video so far, so insightful and creative as always! You never fail to make me laugh Alex, keep up the good work

• @karlayork877
    @karlayork877 Před 6 lety

Love your videos, Alex! I use a lot of herbs, mostly from my own garden, and I either grow or have grown all these you list here. I also like using fruit with pork or chicken, less frequently with fish or beef. I have used apricots, but I used sweeter spices, such as cinnamon, nutmeg, mace, cardamom, cloves, etc. But your info at 5:27 inspired my very delicious lunch: Rosemary Apricot Pork Chops. I browned the chops in bacon drippings; topped them with slices of apricot; added crushed garlic cloves, rosemary, and thyme; poured coconut milk around and between the chops; and braised them in the oven. Back on the stovetop, I removed the chops and reduced the sauce by half. Turned out great. Thanks for the inspiration!

• @ssatva
    @ssatva Před 6 lety +3

I am surprised by how often I use lavender of all things.
    A housemate bought some for tea, and I smelled it and knew it belonged in the stew I was working on. It's also fantastic in small amounts in white sauce and most cheese sauces.
    But these 12 are so very strong as the basics, and it was fun to see your thoughts on their effects!
    Thanks for the lovely videos.

• @debd8028
    @debd8028 Před 9 lety +6

I absolutely love lemon verbena Great for salad, fish or chicken.I crush the leaves and add to my lemonade or infuse into my water Try it!

• @fear_less_2020
    @fear_less_2020 Před rokem

Loevly video. Really needed this. Merci !

• @loraleiffxi
    @loraleiffxi Před 9 lety +2

Very nice video! I'm a big fan of dried and fresh herbs. I always have at least some beautiful basil waiting to go on caprese salad or pizza. You are very sweet to answer most peoples' comments. I'm looking forward to your segment on spices!

• @jsilva7586
    @jsilva7586 Před 2 lety

Really helpful thank you very much for sharing

• @maeellis5043
    @maeellis5043 Před 3 lety

Really enjoyed this video.

• @mickc4672
    @mickc4672 Před 8 lety +2

awesome! thank you for this

• @shiauyingchng4119
    @shiauyingchng4119 Před 9 lety +2

Bonjour Alex, this video is great for learning herbs! Please make a similar video on cheese! J'aime beaucoup ton videos. Bon courage et merci beaucoup..

• @trisklin
    @trisklin Před 9 lety +2

Love your videos Alex & thanks for this one, you've inspired some new flavour combinations for me so thank you :)
    One of the herbs I love is lemongrass it has such a fresh aroma.

• @jessefehrcreates
    @jessefehrcreates Před 9 lety +7

Bit bitter, bita bitte, pizza pizza. That was great. Thanks for the video

• @Growyourheirlooms
    @Growyourheirlooms Před 6 lety

Good info. Many of them can be grown in a home kitchen windowsill year 'round.

• @NyBoo213
    @NyBoo213 Před 7 lety

merci! very useful!

• @JordanMuzquiz
    @JordanMuzquiz Před 7 lety +1

This was a great intro for me. Thanks! :)

• @shizzieave4569
    @shizzieave4569 Před 9 lety +1

Love it!
    Thank you for your great funny video!

• @friendships7966
    @friendships7966 Před 7 lety +1

Very nice , thanks a lot

• @saltypirate1
    @saltypirate1 Před 9 lety +1

This is an awesome video! The more understanding people have of herbs, the better their everyday cooking is! I recently started using fresh herbs daily and it has made my meals go from being everyday cooking to exquisite meals! Sometimes simple can make such a difference! Thank you for this video that makes herbs more approachable for a home cook. Chives in scrambled eggs and tons of thyme in French onion soup are my favorite!

• @mim2628bailey
    @mim2628bailey Před 9 lety +2

This was great! I'd love a video talking about dried herbs and where to use them too, I always end up chucking everything in!

• @FrenchGuyCooking

janejessie Dried herbs are great. Very handy and yet quite powerful as well.
      Also, basically, you can use these advices for dried herbs as well.

• @gsjzy
    @gsjzy Před 9 lety +1

Very good work, very useful to me, just in time. Thank you!

• @ha6464
    @ha6464 Před 9 lety +1

very useful, i always felt shy about my lack of knowledge on this

• @carlosasosa4293
    @carlosasosa4293 Před 6 lety +1

Cummin ????
    In Mexico we also have epazote !
    When you try this you will love it! It goes great with cheese and also pork and beens, I love your channel dude!

• @emoaudrey
    @emoaudrey Před 9 lety +6

I loved all of your examples of herbs! I was wondering if perhaps sometime we could see your version of a French cassoulet? Love your channel and I can't wait for your cookbook announcement!

• @FrenchGuyCooking
      @FrenchGuyCooking  Před 9 lety +1

Danielle Fisher Hey Danielle ! A french cassoulet will definitely come to my channel (eventually). The cookbook is taking a long time, cause I really want it to be up to my standards.

• @santoshthapa9305
    @santoshthapa9305 Před 3 lety +1

Great job

• @NurIbrahimTikko
    @NurIbrahimTikko Před 8 lety +1

thanks so much for the awesome explanation, i hope there is a video that explore how the to use/cook dried herbs/spices :D

• @theblacktroybolton8880
    @theblacktroybolton8880 Před 8 lety +83

This video was 10 times better because he is french

• @2bored4life
    @2bored4life Před 9 lety +1

This is a very useful video!

• @saltypirate1
    @saltypirate1 Před 9 lety +1

Browned butter and save are my guilty pleasure. On EVERYTHING :)

• @SupeRShooDi
    @SupeRShooDi Před 8 lety

Great video!!

• @lisaserniabat9591
    @lisaserniabat9591 Před 2 lety

Well explained

• @LightsCameraCooking
    @LightsCameraCooking Před 2 lety

your videos are very refreshing😊😊

• @yangbin
    @yangbin Před 9 lety +1

LOVE IT! Super useful video! I MERCI!

• @chandraordeniza8417
    @chandraordeniza8417 Před 3 lety

Wow I learned a lot.

• @jess_ym523
    @jess_ym523 Před 9 lety +1

Omg this is so helpful, thank you!

• @mariacampelli6954
    @mariacampelli6954 Před 8 lety +3

There are "Bohnenkraut"(savory, wouldn't cook green beens without it) and "Liebstöckel"( lovage) , also called "Maggikraut" in German, great in beef stock, any veg soup, potatoes and salads. And what about "Kerbel" ( chervil)? I use it at Easter time for soup especially, but also for the famous Green Sauce.
    Very informative and charming videos you make, thank you, dear Alex!

• @manuelaciccarelli6070
    @manuelaciccarelli6070 Před 3 lety

I'm happy I found this video. Thank you very much. If you haven't tried it, you should taste tomato leaves for pesto or even salads and sauces. They smell wonderful, even more than tomatoes itself. Greetings from Argentina!

• @dimdull
    @dimdull Před 9 lety +3

Thank you, I really need this education. Except for mint, chive and bay leaves, all of them smells pretty much same to me. In my cooking, I will add dried thyme/Rosemary/coriander/parsley all together since more is better wrong! 😁 newbie in western cooking... actually, a newbie in any cooking

• @nomolarecoger
    @nomolarecoger Před 9 lety +1

You are great. More and more I like your videos.
    Today I will use your tips for cooking with sous vide.
    Regards from Spain.

• @RIHopeTV
    @RIHopeTV Před 9 lety +1

Fun! Thanks.

• @mbd4331
    @mbd4331 Před 3 lety

Smiling ear to ear!

• @AliceChengakaTheGreatCyanide

What many people don't know about is a type of basil known as African Blue Basil. It looks closer to Thai basil than common basil, but it smells BRILLIANT. It has the rich flavour of normal basil, but it also has a hint of mint to it that adds to the richness of the dish. If you grow the plant, you can eat it after it flowers (unlike common basil). In fact, you can eat its flowers too! It tastes similar, but milder.

• @dannyforgood
    @dannyforgood Před 9 lety +3

I love it my friend "Herbs are one of the best allies of your cooking journey" Nice video Alex :)

• @Realatmx
    @Realatmx Před rokem

Fresh leafs of garlic taste very delicious.. I also dry them and use fried on spicy dishes

• @80Ggirl
    @80Ggirl Před 9 lety +1

Greaaat vid!!! I needed this info, merci!!.. And so true about feeling a star chef when using basil lol it happens also to me in my kitchen.

• @borgarbjarkason7190
    @borgarbjarkason7190 Před 9 lety

Great video man. Keep it up!!

• @jeanettemorris5087
    @jeanettemorris5087 Před 7 lety +5

My favourite herb missed here is marjoram, oregano's gentler sister. In fact, I often substitute marjoram for oregano, enjoying its subtler flavour. Its delicate taste wonderfully enhances egg dishes. PS__I LOVE your show Alex. My fav episode is the French cheese board. I like how you left your kitchen to source the cheeses. It made for a really dynamic show. Also, next time I'm in Paris, I plan on trying some of your restaurant/café recommendations. I'm in search of the perfect almond croissant!

• @homyakMilashka
    @homyakMilashka Před 9 lety +2

Fresh dill smells like summer =) Great video, very interesting as always

• @FrenchGuyCooking
      @FrenchGuyCooking  Před 9 lety +1

Homyasusina Funny you said that, cause to me it smells like winter.

• @hanihanihani4887
    @hanihanihani4887 Před 9 lety +1

Very useful!! Thanx! :D

• @Fairylightsgirl
    @Fairylightsgirl Před 9 lety +1

Cool!! 🍃🌿

• @delilahduhaylungsod5252

Thank you Alex!!JESUS LOVES YOU!!! From the Philippines...

• @KaterinaTalantliva
    @KaterinaTalantliva Před 9 lety +1

that's very useful! thanks)

• @Lughnerson
    @Lughnerson Před rokem

Most of these are quite easy to grow and some should be grouped in the same pot as companion plants. In my northeastern NY climate, I bring the Bay leaf and Rosemary inside for winter. Dry and freeze cuttings of the rest, since you never know the age and quality of the market stuff. I seek out recipes that use the herbs I grow. Persillade for parsley. Pesto is basil. Sage and brown butter sauce. Lots more.

• @bambangsibarani2311
    @bambangsibarani2311 Před 9 lety

Nice info ! keep it up!

• @hahhah6704
    @hahhah6704 Před rokem

Like to use curry leaves to cook rice and stew. Nice video.

• @chloew
    @chloew Před 9 lety +1

Thanks for these amazing cooking videos. Can you show us what kind of dry herbs you used in many of your videos (like your French bourguignon, beef stew etc.), and how to get/make them?

• @alwayschangingperspectives

Nice video again,thank you, made my day! :) I'm using the same herbs, and some other stuff: marjoram, lavender leaves (little) sometimes..it goes great with rosemary for oven baked (?) potato. ( I'm having some difficulties with english, but I hope you understand..:D )

• @RainbowGardens
    @RainbowGardens Před 9 lety +14

That is a great summary for herbs Alex! Yes! French Tarragon = the BEST tarragon. :)
    Also, some culinary herbs are used for medicinal purposes such as fennel, mint, oregano, lemongrass, ginger root, and more.

• @green4free
    @green4free Před 6 lety

Citronmeliss in Swedish, lemon balm, it is a very delicate type of mint with a very citrusy flavour.

• @justinberwick2827
    @justinberwick2827 Před 9 lety +2

Great video! I'm starting an herb garden it the spring any other suggestions?

• @MM55M5M
    @MM55M5M Před 9 lety +1

this was great!! :-)

• @magickal_kelli6195
    @magickal_kelli6195 Před 8 lety +1

Just subscribed! Great video!

• @corina507
    @corina507 Před 9 lety +2

Definitely plus marjoram and lovage :) Great video :)

• @FrenchGuyCooking

Paulina Bukowiecka Love marjoram, but never tried any lovage. It seems to be like celery leaves right ?

• @corina507
      @corina507 Před 9 lety

***** Yeah, me too, I love marjoram :-) And yeah, you're right - it comes from celery family - it looks like a celery leaves, and when you use it in a dried form, it has a really strong flavor. We use it to cook polish chicken soup - it's an aphrodisiac... some people say... :-)

• @zainasalman258
    @zainasalman258 Před 5 lety

I love your accent 💕

• @pcallender
    @pcallender Před 9 lety +4

This is fantastic - thank you! I've always found it hard to pair herbs and foods, especially coming from a family where the only kind of herb is "mixed"... :( Perhaps a perfect counterpart would be a video on spices?

• @kikibeernink8617
    @kikibeernink8617 Před 9 lety +1

Very nice video! Thanks! :D

• @CoCrCi
    @CoCrCi Před 5 lety +1

Add celery and lovage to your list as well.

• @crank7283
    @crank7283 Před 2 lety

The Street Fighter sounds made this video POP ! ! !
    It was hilarious for the Latin cuisine sound to just be the losing moan.
    Thinking about it, there aren't any South American Street Fighters.
    However, Vega (English) / Balrog (Japanese) is from Spain which may or may not have worked.
    Certainly worth a thumbs up like.

• @omargomez8714
    @omargomez8714 Před 8 lety

Papalos and pipichas are my favorite herbs.

• @murraypotts924
    @murraypotts924 Před 2 lety

Savory is an awesome herb and so versitile.

• @halloweenbabystudios1748
    @halloweenbabystudios1748 Před 9 lety +2

I love this! I was just watering my basil and parsley and saw this video! I think the same thing every time I used my dried oregano. Haha! Oregano smells like pizza..and that produces happy thoughts :) Keep the videos coming Chef!!! Loves of good vibes from San Diego, California!!

• @FrenchGuyCooking

Jheramie Mendoza "that produces happy thoughts" Exactly !!!

• @DanishDesigner
    @DanishDesigner Před 9 lety +1

Ramsons/Buckrams/Wild Garlic... Great alternative to chives!