HOW DO I FIT SOLAR PANELS TO A CAMPER VAN ROOF simple and safe - Sprinter Transit T4

Sdílet
Vložit
  • čas přidán 23. 05. 2019
  • HOW TO INSTALL SOLAR TO A CAMPER VAN SAFE AND SIMPLE DIY campervan conversion simple way to install solar panels to the roof of your camper van
    My aim is to give you campervan conversion ideas on how to convert a van into a camper and to help inspire you to build your own tiny home on wheels
    please consider subscribing to my channel I really do appreciate your support thank you.
    To really help support my channel why no join my member's community and get to see my videos first and without adverts, Don't forget to turn on notifications by clicking the Bell thank you 👍🤓👍
    / @bigvansmallworld
    My Amazon Store
    Where you will find everything that I have used in my van builds. Plus more great van life essentials.
    www.amazon.co.uk/shop/melsvan...
    How to convert a van into a camper van
    DIY camper van build
    how to build a camper van
    How to Self Build A Van
    How To build off-grid camper van for van life
    DIY camper van conversion
    DIY camper build
    DIY camper van
    How to build a tiny home on wheels
    Tiny Home share this video with a CZcamsr friend:
    How to convert a van into a camper van
    how to build a camper van
    How to Self Build A Van
    How To build off-grid camper van for van life
    DIY camper van conversion
    DIY camper build
    DIY camper van
    How to build a tiny home on wheels
    Tiny Home
    inks to solar panel and charge controller & Brackets www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...
    controller
    www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...
    eBay links
    rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-534...
    solar
    rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-534...
    brackets on Ebay rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-534...
    #melsvanlife #melsvanworld #vanbuild #diycampervan #vanconversion #vanlife #vandwelling
  • Jak na to + styl

Komentáře • 296

• @BigVanSmallWorld
    @BigVanSmallWorld  Před 3 lety +3

why not check out my Amazon Store for all your van building needs & more
    www.amazon.co.uk/shop/melsvanworld

• @DollopussD
    @DollopussD Před rokem +7

Love the honesty in this 🤣 "An old battery I got for £2 from a breakers yard!" 🤣

• @HowardKlein1958
      @HowardKlein1958 Před rokem

😊 Yeah that how it was in 70s. No money around and just made do and learn't how to do things myself , mind you two quid was a lot of money in 1975, beer 25p a pint so you could have a good evening in pub and Chinese take away after and still have change 😄 Petrol 32p a gallon, (that's 7p a litre 😯). ps where do i get those mounting corners from? Cant find on Amazon link you gave. That are perfect as i don't like drilling in roof for fear of leaks.

• @stuartchapman5171
      @stuartchapman5171 Před 10 měsíci +1

I lived on the road in tge 80's. We ysed old van and truck batteries. We had a oair of wires with crocodile clips run out the top of the bonnet, round the windscreen post and in through the door, when you went out, sling a battery in the foot well, charge it up. We didn't use the batteries for lighting, incandescent bulbs only back then. We used to run car cassette players and old portable black and white cathode ray TVs. The lighting came from gaslight and candles.

• @melindaleon5907
    @melindaleon5907 Před 9 měsíci +31

This panel can put out close to 100 watts czcams.com/users/postUgkxOqI2yqX0XVrhR2BMJciTWrHJpG8FhJyg when positioned in the appropriate southernly direction, tilted to the optimal angle for your latitude/date, and connected to a higher capacity device than a 500. The built in kickstand angle is a fixed at 50 degrees. Up to 20% more power can be output by selecting the actual date and latitude optimal angle.The 500 will only input 3.5A maximum at 18 volts for 63 watts. Some of the excess power from the panel can be fed into a USB battery bank, charged directly from the panel while also charging a 500. This will allow you to harvest as much as 63 + 15 = 78 watts.If this panel is used to charge a larger device, such as the power station, then its full output potential can be realized.

• @Jonny2284
    @Jonny2284 Před 3 lety +3

Can I just say no matter how many videos I absolutely love CZcams auto captioning attempt at understanding Mel's accent.

• @ran6974
    @ran6974 Před 2 lety +3

I had a mate that tiger sealed his washing machine drum back together when it fell apart. I laughed… a lot. But it still works to this day. That stuff is strong as f! 😂

• @edpowell496
    @edpowell496 Před rokem +2

the energy you put into these videos is incredible

• @glynatmore1817
    @glynatmore1817 Před 2 lety +3

Young mel always comes across as everyone's friend.
    What a splendid fellow mel is.
    I can a haylow above your head mel
    Yesterday like the saint. !!

• @mattcameron9349
    @mattcameron9349 Před 5 lety +8

Just a quick safety tip: It’s worth chucking a bit of cardboard over those panels before you connect the wires, so they are not producing any current. If the wires accidentally touch with the panels in sunlight, you can cause damage. Those brackets look really substantial!

• @BigVanSmallWorld
      @BigVanSmallWorld  Před 5 lety +2

Thanks Matt that’s a good shout 🤙🤓

• @SsKk558
      @SsKk558 Před rokem +3

the panels don't produce current until a load is attached

• @user-st4hx7yn8p
    @user-st4hx7yn8p Před 3 měsíci +1

Thanks Mel, im looking at doing this soon. I've already insulated and put my roof up, was worried drilling through and not being able to see the inside to check for leaks. Seeing this put my mind at rest, going to stick them on like you have! Thanks

• @AndrewSmart32
    @AndrewSmart32 Před 2 lety +2

Awesome, so many tutorials involve screwing into the van, as I've already dealt with a leak from the air vent I don't want that with all my panels! This will be perfect

• @ggd1444
    @ggd1444 Před 2 lety +1

You must be one of the most entertaining guys on CZcams! What a great character, keep up the good work.

• @VoitekkWalks
    @VoitekkWalks Před 20 dny

Perfect, Thanks 4 such a lovely guide

• @BigVanSmallWorld
      @BigVanSmallWorld  Před 20 dny

Glad it was helpful just remember the glue is only as good as the paint it’s sticking to

• @minttea4972
    @minttea4972 Před 10 měsíci +1

Blooming marvellous. 👍👍👍👍👍👍

• @killianociardubhain414
    @killianociardubhain414 Před 2 lety +1

You said it yourself, "Brilliant". Thanks Mel, your Videos make any conversion task less daunting.

• @garyroberts-spinoutuk4874
    @garyroberts-spinoutuk4874 Před 2 měsíci

Many thanks brilliant

• @adrianhydephotography
    @adrianhydephotography Před 3 lety +4

4K subs 16k later now 20k. Outstanding Mel.

• @alanmay1945
    @alanmay1945 Před 4 lety +7

Your vids are just brilliant, simple, quick, cheap and very innovative methods, yet you achieve a perfectly good result. You are also working on your own, no extra help and no workshop with expensive machine tools. Mel, you are a marvel mate! Thankyou for so many of these great videos, each one a gem. Best wishes from Alan, in Norfolk.

• @BigVanSmallWorld
      @BigVanSmallWorld  Před 4 lety

Thanks Alan that’s really nice of you to say really appreciated 👍🤓👍

• @bobbyboy723
      @bobbyboy723 Před 4 lety +1

@@BigVanSmallWorld Hi Mel,
      I have been watching a lot of conversion videos and your stuff stands out as you keep it as simple as possible. I loved your comment on another video saying how you did not even have to bother with insulation if you didnt mind getting dripped on LOL. You capture the essence of just get out there and enjoy the tip without worrying too much about having all the luxuries. We would all love state of the art vans but I believe enjoying the trip with a basic van is better than sitting at home dreaming of a great van. BB

• @belgiandip8682
    @belgiandip8682 Před 2 lety +2

Love your style, and this is Just what I needed! Thanks mucho, Mel.

• @monteandarlo7064
    @monteandarlo7064 Před rokem +1

Great video :) thanks!

• @yokeobro
    @yokeobro Před rokem +1

Legend!

• @ryanstokoe2029
    @ryanstokoe2029 Před 3 lety +5

I was really resigned to the fact that I’d be drilling the panel to some roof bars and then not having space for extra luggage. Basically because I was scared that this adhesive (or any of the recommended brands) wouldn’t hold the panel in at 70mph.
    You’ve given me confidence to glue now. I think. Eek.

• @BigVanSmallWorld
      @BigVanSmallWorld  Před 3 lety +1

Good luck take ya time make sure everything is super clean and you’re be rite 👍🤓👍

• @vanlifeembracingdiversity5431

Love your sense of humour. Hello from Brighton. About to finish my solar panel today

• @BigVanSmallWorld
      @BigVanSmallWorld  Před 2 lety

Thank you for the positive encouragement really appreciated good luck with your build 👍

• @Bananas1973
    @Bananas1973 Před 2 lety +1

Im getting mad Kenny Everitt vibes watching this video 🤣. Fantastic video thanks for posting.

• @larrylindenmeyer4390
    @larrylindenmeyer4390 Před 2 lety

Very helpful! Thank you Sir and keep grinning!

• @craigwinterburn
    @craigwinterburn Před 3 lety +2

Great easy to follow video. Never knew about the plastic roof Access holes, perfect. And great advice to leave the brackets alone a few days for the bond to go off. Thanks so much.

• @BigVanSmallWorld
      @BigVanSmallWorld  Před 3 lety

You are absolutely welcome thank you for taking the time to comment really appreciated 👍

• @phrayzar
    @phrayzar Před 5 lety +1

Congrats on the 4k. I like the new fast paced video, you've got a spring in your step in this one, but still all the info, cheers.

• @BigVanSmallWorld
      @BigVanSmallWorld  Před 5 lety

phrayzar thank you I really appreciate your feedback I’ll try and keep up the pace 🤓🤙

• @lanodramallama
    @lanodramallama Před 3 lety +4

Your video inspires confidence! I will be converting a Transit minibus with an identical roof to yours by the looks, so it's great to see how you went about it - thank you!

• @BigVanSmallWorld

Thank you that’s really kind of you to say I do appreciate your encouragement and support good luck with your build remember to keep it simple and safe 👍😊👍

• @rozza381
    @rozza381 Před 3 lety +3

Mel, you're an inspiration mate! Your videos are great to watch and I learn something every time. Keep up the great work! Cheers.

• @crisrose9707
    @crisrose9707 Před rokem

This was a really great video. Thank you!

• @terencebaker4269
    @terencebaker4269 Před 5 lety

Mel, great presentation, I'm watching this build (I've already watch your previous series) because I like this layout best, the kitchen in this build makes best use of the space.

• @BigVanSmallWorld

Thank you really appreciate your positive feedback and support 🤙🤓🍻

• @baloobear7838
    @baloobear7838 Před 5 lety

Well Done Mel. Keep it simple!! Congrats on 4K subscribers

• @manouchehromari2483
    @manouchehromari2483 Před 3 lety +2

this is a good way to mount the panels than drilling hole into the van. good work !

• @BigVanSmallWorld

Thank you 😊

• @crpth1
      @crpth1 Před 3 lety +1

Please be aware that's a VERY BAD CHOICE! Sorry to say, a bit stupid at best.
      Although the adhesive itself is quite strong. Remember the entire panel, which is basically a horizontal sail. Is being held in place by the... paint work!!! Yep! That's it! It's the paint that's holding, (anchoring) it all in place!
      Take it from someone with a "structural" background on automotive and other applications. Anyway it's basic common sense!
      Whoever as seen clear coat and/or paint peeling in a car, van, etc. should understand immediately what I'm saying. Let that sink in for a moment and then tell me how safe you would feel at highway speeds behind such an assembly. ;-)
      Cheers

• @obgaming101
      @obgaming101 Před 2 lety

@@crpth1 thats why it should be sanded down and cleaned with alcohol before applying the glue.

• @lisagempup1398
    @lisagempup1398 Před 5 lety +1

Awesome job 4000 yeah👍congrats😊love the t shirt🌾🐈

• @andrew-wv9ti
    @andrew-wv9ti Před 4 měsíci

Nice job

• @ojbeez5260
    @ojbeez5260 Před 2 lety +1

So this is what the Brilliant Kid from the Fast Show does in his retirement. 'Aren't solar panels Brilliant, eh?'

• @manuelester7420
    @manuelester7420 Před 10 měsíci +1

Two dragon flies were doing it right next to your hand and flew away after you drilled the first bracket to the roof.😂❤

• @markwilliams7573
    @markwilliams7573 Před 5 lety +1

Great job Mel, well done on the 4K subs fella. 👍🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

• @BigVanSmallWorld
      @BigVanSmallWorld  Před 5 lety +1

Mark Williams thank you Mark really do appreciate everyone that has supported me 🤓🤙

• @Rick_Todd
    @Rick_Todd Před 5 lety

Congrats on reaching 4000 Subs. Keep it going.

• @BrothersGrim2012
    @BrothersGrim2012 Před 5 lety

Great Video Mel keep em coming

• @BigVanSmallWorld

Thank so for the positive feedback really appreciated 🤓🤙

• @nickjury5198
    @nickjury5198 Před 5 lety +3

4000 subscribers😧👍 fantastic😎 Lovely job on the solar panel👍

• @BigVanSmallWorld

Thank you Nick really do appreciate every single one of you 🤓🤙

• @daysgoneby4543
    @daysgoneby4543 Před 5 lety

Wow congratulations fella on the 4k sub count and you really do deserve it fella as thanks to you.. You have shown us that you don't need to spend a fortune to do a great van conversion thanks buddy... Have a great weekend fella

• @BigVanSmallWorld

Thank you really appreciate your support and positive feedback 🤓🤙

• @daysgoneby4543
      @daysgoneby4543 Před 5 lety

@@BigVanSmallWorld no worries fella

• @simonphillips2420
    @simonphillips2420 Před 2 lety +1

Nice vid thanks Mel

• @wayne1243
    @wayne1243 Před 5 lety

Great job Mel 👍

• @alant2419
    @alant2419 Před 5 lety

Nicely done Mel

• @onemanandhiswhippet
    @onemanandhiswhippet Před 5 lety +1

Congratulations on 4K mate 👍 best regards Louie and is two poo pickers 👍❤️😀🐾🍺🍟

• @BigVanSmallWorld

One Man and His Whippet thank you wish I had made it to camp Q and met up with you all looks like you had a great time 🤓🤙

• @gastrictipple27
    @gastrictipple27 Před 2 lety +1

Back in the day when I was a young lad I had a vw 😂😂✌️🤘🤙👌♥️😁🦾 I'm 28 and iv just purchased my own plot of land and have a T4 1993 transporter and a Renault traffic t1000 and a micro belingo camper that I'm going to store in a container. I'll be using your methods for sure love you and your cockney ways

• @Memyselfandvan
    @Memyselfandvan Před 5 lety

Congrats on reaching 4K Mel mate.

• @BigVanSmallWorld

Thank you I’m so pleased and grateful for all the support thank you 🤓🤙

• @ruthybabe571
    @ruthybabe571 Před 5 lety +1

Congratulations on reaching 4k.

• @livefearless1123
    @livefearless1123 Před 3 lety +1

Thanks so much! Great video!

• @ianjamiesonmusic
    @ianjamiesonmusic Před 2 lety +1

Thanks

• @dparris61
    @dparris61 Před 5 lety

Cracking vlog Mel 👍👍😎

• @vanillagoose4444
    @vanillagoose4444 Před 5 lety +1

Wonder if i could stick a bunch of them on my house ! You should add some more straights to front Mel, act as a wind deflector ! nice job 👍🏻

• @BigVanSmallWorld

Thank you and yes I was thinking about a wind deflector you could use these on a house I don’t see why not 🤓🤙

• @charliewhite6369
    @charliewhite6369 Před 4 lety +1

Good editing and Informative.

• @BigVanSmallWorld

Thank you Charlie really appreciate your positive feedback 👍🤓👍

• @RomfordGuy
    @RomfordGuy Před 5 lety

Another great and informative video. Cheers Mel

• @gkuk
    @gkuk Před 5 lety

Hi Mell, Top job as always 👍

• @eatthecountry
    @eatthecountry Před 9 měsíci +1

Good stuff cheers

• @leftblank6036
    @leftblank6036 Před 3 lety +1

Diamond Geeezaaa! thanks matey gunna do this next week

• @louisjantzen7141
    @louisjantzen7141 Před 5 lety

Ha!
    Gotcha, Mel:
    l already had a 4 bar roof-rack, so l just adjusted one bar to fit my panel... (the cables go through my sunroof)
    l even put 2 inch elevators on the back-end to keep it facing the sun...
    (Yes: l do *not* intend to move my van for a while)
    Hahaha...
    I liked those plastic end-bits though... yep!

• @rayrichards6748
    @rayrichards6748 Před 2 lety +1

Mate, you remind me of Paul Whitehouse on the fast show. Easy squeeze cheesy peas.
    Cheers for the upload, good info bro.

• @LorisRVLife
    @LorisRVLife Před 5 lety

Love ur energy!! Need help with my solar... come to the USA.....Thanks for sharing, Lo :)

• @BigVanSmallWorld

Thank you for positive message really appreciated I’d love to come help you if I could what’s your problem? 🤓🤙

• @LorisRVLife
      @LorisRVLife Před 5 lety

@@BigVanSmallWorld I know zero about solar. My 2005 2720 TrailManor has solar and I have no clue about what it does, how to maintain it, if it's enough, if I need or can even put more on it... I'm a mess over here...........

• @BigVanSmallWorld

Oh dear sounds like you really do need help 🤙🤓

• @katcankan7129
    @katcankan7129 Před 5 lety

Great job Mr Cheerful. Have a nice weekend 😊

• @BigVanSmallWorld

Hay Kat thank you and you 🤓🤙

• @katcankan7129

@@BigVanSmallWorld 😊

• @gkuk
      @gkuk Před 5 lety +1

@@katcankan7129 😸 Have a great bank holiday 😉

• @katcankan7129

@@gkuk Thank you. You too Glen 😺

• @garrybeard2031
    @garrybeard2031 Před 5 lety

Great video mel well done 👍🇬🇧🍺

• @stephenandrews8221
    @stephenandrews8221 Před 5 lety +2

Perpetual motion. Thermodynamics init. Ha ha. Well done Mel. Very entertaining

• @BigVanSmallWorld

Thanks 🍻glad you enjoyed my anecdotes 😂😂😂🤓🤙

• @louisjantzen7141
      @louisjantzen7141 Před 5 lety +1

He's right, Stephen.
      Ever since l've had my panel l no longer need to plug-in or start up.
      (now all l need is another one to power a microwave oven!)

• @maddavvid2339
    @maddavvid2339 Před 5 lety

Just subscribed to your channel mate nice job of the solar panel

• @BigVanSmallWorld

mad davvid thank you really appreciate your positive feedback and support cheers 🍻🤓🤙

• @garyroberts-spinoutuk4874
    @garyroberts-spinoutuk4874 Před 2 měsíci

Hi many thanks for the footage am going to do the same to my trailer just a thought as my trailer has no individual suspension will the solar panel fixed as you have done on top of the van
    Just thinking I'll be careful driving but will the solar panel crack IE with vibration
    Just a thought

• @rhiantaylor3446
    @rhiantaylor3446 Před 4 lety +4

Thanks Mel, very informative. Although I'm only an armchair van converter, I personally would prefer the semi-flex panels that mount direct on the tin roof. I would expect any panels to be combined with a decent sized battery, preferably lithium ion - the recovered batteries from bmw hybrids seem very cheap, I have seen £500 for 9kwhr. A decent battery and you can run yout fridge, a microwave or an induction hob. As you can see, I don't like the idea of lpg inside the same tin box I'm sleeping inside.

• @BigVanSmallWorld

Hi thanks for your feedback really appreciated I have used flex panels but there not as good as the traditional ones

• @Azurren
      @Azurren Před 4 lety

Indeed, feel free to do some googling about the disadvantages of the flexible panels. They don't have long longevity at all as they deteriorate rapidly when exposed to the elements (Wind, rain, ice, snow). Also without the aluminium backing / frame acting as a heatsink they get hot, extremely hot. In hotter countries they don't last long at all, here in the UK you may get a couple years out of them ;)
      They make sense if you use them as portable panels. Store them and slap them on when you're going away for the weekend / week. If you're looking for a permanent install, go with the ridged panels.

• @sages101
    @sages101 Před 3 lety

hey good idea man. I just bought the same mounts and realised they were too big. But they're made of plastic and can be cut. I didn't think of that lol. Cheers.
    Oh I forgot. What kind of caulking did you use to keep the brackets glued to the van? Thanks

• @in-the-vanpeter5157
    @in-the-vanpeter5157 Před 5 lety +1

Mel you are a bloody genius, where did you get those brackets ? absolutely by far the best way to fit a solar panel, Greg Virgoe you better up your game there’s a Mel about. I am so impressed with this. Thank you and huge 👍👍👍👍👍👍👍

• @BigVanSmallWorld

Thanks, Peter here's a link to the Brackets for you on Amazon
      www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B016ORGABK/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1634&creative=6738&creativeASIN=B016ORGABK&linkCode=as2&tag=melsvanworld-21&linkId=7aea0fdf04168718d4136409d453a92e

• @BigVanSmallWorld

thanks Peter link to ebay too
      rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-53481-19255-0/1?ff3=4&pub=5575467911&toolid=10001&campid=5338454651&customid=&mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fitm%2FSolar-Panel-Mounting-Bracket-Sets-Frame-Kits-Adhesive-Bond-Caravan-Boat%2F252257787138%3FssPageName%3DSTRK%253AMEBIDX%253AIT%26var%3D551090468161%26_trksid%3Dp2057872.m2749.l2649

• @MrDickydribble
    @MrDickydribble Před 2 lety +1

Mel do you not need a fuse between the solar panel and DC charger? About to add a 60w panel so I'm unsure about whether I need a fuse?

• @vanlifeembracingdiversity5431

I enjoyed it but there are few steps I would have appreciated with wiring

• @BigVanSmallWorld

Thank you there’s 2 wires one positive and one negative on the controller it’s clearly marked where they go with a small sign that looks like noughts and crosses 👍🤓👍

• @DCsPr0ductions
    @DCsPr0ductions Před 3 lety +1

What exactly is that box you're connecting them wires too? As I'm trying to figure out a plan for our work van.

• @SACREDTRAVELLER
    @SACREDTRAVELLER Před 4 lety +2

Brilliant video, exactly what I need to watch to know how to fit my own panel with those brackets that I also have. Excellent, thanks so much for making! Will subscribe x

• @BigVanSmallWorld

Thank you really appreciate your support good luck with your installation pick a nice day and take your time and stay safe it’s a long way up 👍🤓👍

• @frederickharron5217
    @frederickharron5217 Před 5 lety

My first van was a 1963 Corvair Greenbrier back in the early 70's, one of the worse vehicle I ever owned...Congrats on your subs...!

• @leedavies9309
    @leedavies9309 Před 5 lety +3

4000 subscribers , you should be on 10,000 all the tips you give great video mel

• @BigVanSmallWorld

Lee Davies thank you so much Lee 10k I think I would pass out lol 😂🤓🤙

• @marklennox2151
    @marklennox2151 Před 2 lety +1

Hey Mel, I was watching a video and the guy said these mounts can't be used on curved or ridged roofs. You show that they can. I have a Chevy Astro van that has a similar roof to yours. I'm going to bolt them down though. When these things rip off it's from the paint separating from the primer.

• @JosephMBoyer
      @JosephMBoyer Před 2 lety +1

Right. He didn't even bother to sand it down lol. These will last a season or two.

• @Huskyandwolfdog
    @Huskyandwolfdog Před 5 lety

Hi from my husky and wolfdog from the Netherlands!🐺🐶😉

• @irenedunne352
    @irenedunne352 Před 3 lety

what size where your roofing screws bolts or any link please

• @garysmith7811
    @garysmith7811 Před 4 lety +1

Make that 1 more i jus subbed..😎

• @brianroberts6356
    @brianroberts6356 Před 6 měsíci

What size screws for fixing bracket to panel

• @outthere9370
    @outthere9370 Před 2 lety +1

Excellent video. Did you weigh down the corner brackets when you glued them?

• @BigVanSmallWorld

Thank you and no as this would but the bonds under tension better let it lay naturally and bond like that 👍🤓👍

• @nashsgt
    @nashsgt Před rokem +1

Hi could you please advise me if you get any whisle or noise from the solar panel when driving thank you

• @rebeccacooper9251
    @rebeccacooper9251 Před rokem +1

I'm going to be fitting a solar panel soon but there are lots of ribs on the roof of my van. How did you cut the plastic corner mount to fit the roof?

• @tonydiscovery
    @tonydiscovery Před 5 lety

Congrats on 4000 subs... Great vlog but you may of missed a thing on the stealth part as it is not very stealthy to have to get out of the front and get in the rear with out being seen...

• @BigVanSmallWorld

tonydiscovery thank you really appreciate everyone’s positive support I know what you’re saying it’s the one downside of having 3 seats upfront I have two daughters that sometimes join me so it’s really just a case of personal needs 🤓🤙

• @chrismills1209
    @chrismills1209 Před 3 lety +1

Mel been watching your videos and some really helpful stuff so thanks. I guess you could screw to these to the roof allomg with the adhesive?

• @BigVanSmallWorld
      @BigVanSmallWorld  Před 3 lety +1

Thank you and yes you could

• @crpth1
      @crpth1 Před 3 lety

@@BigVanSmallWorld - Not only could, but most important SHOULD use hardware to fix it in place...
      For goodness sake, at least put a warning about this rather stupid, so called, solution! Sorry if it doesn't sound nice and dandy. But consider that you're putting peoples life in danger just because it "looks" nice!!

• @w1nd0cpro
    @w1nd0cpro Před 5 lety

Joseph nsw Australia easy peasy solar panel install thanks

• @BigVanSmallWorld

No worries Joseph you’re in the rite place for solar 🤓🤙

• @bc-mr1si
    @bc-mr1si Před 26 dny

great video. thanks for sharing. can I connect the wires straight onto the battery 🤔

• @BigVanSmallWorld
      @BigVanSmallWorld  Před 26 dny

NO DO NOT DO THAT YOU NEED A SOLAR CONTROLLER

• @bc-mr1si
      @bc-mr1si Před 26 dny

@BigVanSmallWorld ok thanks for that.

• @justinsmith6296
    @justinsmith6296 Před 5 lety

Make sure when using Tiger Seal you warm it up first as it makes it easier to apply otherwise it is like solid rubber when its cold.

• @BigVanSmallWorld

justin smith thank you it was a nice day so didn’t really notice I haven’t used it much in could weather but next time I use it in a vlog I’ll pass that advice on cheers 🍻 really appreciate you taking the time to help 🤓🤙

• @justinsmith6296
      @justinsmith6296 Před 5 lety

@@BigVanSmallWorld no probs mate, congrats on the 4K Subs BTW You'll soon be able to give up work and live off the CZcams AD revenue LOL

• @patrickpirelli7897
    @patrickpirelli7897 Před měsícem +1

Mel is it 20mm hole ya drill for the wires to go through the roof

• @nett0.
    @nett0. Před 4 lety

Hi Mel what size roofing bolts did you use and if I we're to add a split charge relay system would the solar charge the main starter battery once the leisure batteries are fully charged? Great video by the way, keep em coming.

• @BigVanSmallWorld
      @BigVanSmallWorld  Před 4 lety +1

Hi ya I don’t remember what size bolts I used sorry as for VSR yes it will come on as soon as your solar system kicks in charging all your battery’s at the same time that’s the down side 😊👍

• @nett0.
      @nett0. Před 4 lety

@@BigVanSmallWorld thank you for your speedy reply, what do you mean by downside? Surely it is best to keep all batteries topped up?

• @nigelwilding1145
    @nigelwilding1145 Před rokem

What did you use to stick it downM

• @T.J-and-Soul
    @T.J-and-Soul Před 5 měsíci

So did you ever have any problems with the adhesive?

• @transittravels5763
    @transittravels5763 Před 2 lety +1

Hi Mel,
    Brilliant video (as always) I’ve done this on my van with a 200 watt rigid panel (much like yours) I’ve seen some photos on Facebook panels that have been stuck on flying off the room. Do you think that’s much of a worry or do you think it’s just people fitting it wrong? I’ve got all 4 corners and the side bits as well. I just get scared that I wouldn’t be able to use the van in a bad weather in case it comes flying off the roof

• @rickbell814
      @rickbell814 Před 2 lety

How’d you go?

• @BigVanSmallWorld
      @BigVanSmallWorld  Před 2 lety +1

I know some vans are galvanised and the paint comes away along with anything stuck on them so be careful

• @garymclay9885
    @garymclay9885 Před 2 lety +1

Nice video.
    What size controller would be required for 700w solar powere? ie:- 4 @ 175w each?

• @BigVanSmallWorld

Hay Gary it’s all about the voltage 👍

• @garymclay9885
      @garymclay9885 Před 2 lety

Thanks Mel. I’ve got it sorted thanks.
      On an other matter though!!
      My van has a secondary Varta agm battery that’s charged with a split charger from the van battery. I want to change it for a bigger lithium battery. Will the existing split charger charge the new lithium battery efficiently and safely? Or will I need a different split charger? Thanks again for all your advice.
      I’m loving all your videos. Very interesting and entertaining. 🤙

• @a552bcx
    @a552bcx Před 2 lety +1

what kind of glue did you use on the side and what kind of rubber seal and glue did you use to seal the hole

• @uptowndisco2
    @uptowndisco2 Před 5 lety

did you have problems with the rubber toggle type you used last time , that you changed to a stick em down system , I am going to try this method looks easier , might still use a safety wire attached to the panel and roof rack mount built into my roof just for safety sake and my own peace of mind lol

• @BigVanSmallWorld

uptowndisco2 no didn’t have a problem when them they are still going strong there just not suited for this panel there ok for the flat flexible panels 🤓🤙

• @michaelpowell7312
    @michaelpowell7312 Před 4 lety

Great video, where did you get the self tappers for the solar panel from and are they Stainless Steel?

• @BigVanSmallWorld

Hello thank you there roofing screws with the big rubber washers removed so yes no worries with rust you can get them anywhere screw fix B&Q most DIY stores 👍🤓👍

• @michaelpowell7312
      @michaelpowell7312 Před 4 lety

Thanks for the reply. Are they Stainless steel?

• @dontwastetimetoday493
    @dontwastetimetoday493 Před 2 lety +2

Im concerned about the wind pulling the panel from the roof at 70mph, which adhesive did you use to avoid such an accident? Thanks in advance

• @jamesjddj23
      @jamesjddj23 Před rokem

tiger seal thats what he showed at the beginning of the video anyway... I have used tiger seal before and its really strong but i am also concerned it would blow off! I think having the solar panel flat on the roof would be better because of the wind getting underneath... My mate stuck his on a roof rack and he said its costs him loads more in diesel.

• @Charlemagne1367
      @Charlemagne1367 Před rokem

@@jamesjddj23 Not better for the solar panels though. They need air circulation. If you stick them to the roof, metal heats up and in turn will heat up your panels, decreasing their performance and lifespan, which is already less for flexible panels vs ridgid on both counts.

• @patrickpirelli7897
    @patrickpirelli7897 Před měsícem

I've bought 20mm hole drill thing and 20mm grommet is that right mel

• @BigVanSmallWorld
      @BigVanSmallWorld  Před měsícem

Sounds about rite but check first

• @patrickpirelli7897
      @patrickpirelli7897 Před měsícem

@@BigVanSmallWorld I've also bought roof rails that run from back to front down either side and two cross bars it'll look nice Mel but my idia was to move the cross bars the same length as the panel and fasten it in-between them so it's low profile, thing being ime not sure what I could use to fasten them, can you have a think and try come up with something.
      I thought jubilee clips but not sure theyl be strong enough no it sure mate. I heard to helped corral out with something lol she a case lol I spent a fortune on her and let her sleep at my place...no sex involved 😜

• @johnhealy9231
    @johnhealy9231 Před 5 lety

You must be a mind reader Mel ,I was just looking at solar systems on eBay ,then turned over to your Chanel and your installing one 🤔 👍❤️ is flexible panel any better than rigid .???

• @BigVanSmallWorld
      @BigVanSmallWorld  Před 5 lety +2

Oh the power of the universe lol 😂 rigid will out perform flexible panel if you want low profile go for semi flexible 🤓🤙

• @johnhealy9231
      @johnhealy9231 Před 5 lety

Thanks Mel your a star📡

• @Djr67
    @Djr67 Před 2 lety +1

I have a fold out solar panel, do you think it would be possible to mount it to the roof of my caravan?

• @BigVanSmallWorld

As long as it’s waterproof I don’t see why not.
      Jackery are not waterproof put Poweroak are good luck 👍

• @Djr67
      @Djr67 Před 2 lety

@@BigVanSmallWorld says its waterproof, I guess theres one way to find out, thank you so much for your reply its much appreciated