Diesel Oil in a Gas engine BMW 335i?! (Shell Rotella T6)

Sdílet
Vložit
  • čas přidán 23. 11. 2018
  • It's time for an oil change again. This time I have decided to go with Shell Rotella T6 heavy duty diesel oil. This may sound completely crazy but in this video I will explain why this actually could be a good idea! One thing I noticed that is not included in this video is that my oil temps seem to rise at the same pace as before but the car tends to operate at approximately 10 degrees Fahrenheit. I believe that many of the N54s notorious problems stem from the high operating temperatures and this is an added benefit I was not expecting.
    Link to Shell Rotella T6
    amzn.to/2PSOZ6g
    Link to Mann Oil Filter
    amzn.to/2DETkD0
    Link to BMW Oil Filter Wrench
    amzn.to/2Qgo5ol
  • Auta a dopravní prostředky

Komentáře • 100

• @jaymase3735
    @jaymase3735 Před 4 lety +9

Use T6 or Valvoline PBE Full Syn on ANY DI turbo engine! The dispersants and lubricants solve all drawbacks with such engine set up. Excellent, accurate video.

• @franksimpson8242
    @franksimpson8242 Před 4 lety +12

The lowest grade diesel oils are better than most of the gasoline oils...I've used diesel oil 15w40 in all my gas engine vehicles and motorcycles for years now...two of my vehicles had over 500k on them when I sold them and the engines are still going strong. I ran Esso 15w40 XD3 in my 2000 Suzuki 500 ATV since it was new and it runs like a champ and I haul all my firewood out of the woods with it...my 2001 Ram has ran Esso XD3 since new...I've had 3 gas Chevy's trucks that ran over 20 years with 15w40 Esso oil in them. Don't be afraid to use diesel oil in your gas vehicles especially the synthetic oils...I wouldn't recommend using a 15w40 in a Honda or a ford that requires a lower viscosity oil like 5w20...also wouldn't recommend using diesel oil on a brand new engine because the diesel oil will prolong the break-in period or perhaps even disrupt it all together which is not good...I would have at least 10k on a vehicle before using the diesel oil. All my vehicles had two or three oil changes with the recommended oils before I switched to the diesel oil.

• @danielsolomon1710
      @danielsolomon1710 Před 27 dny

For honda there are 5W30 HDEO engine oil with very high TBN Such as the Shell Rimula Ultra 5W30 the TBN is 13 and the kinetic viscosity at 100°Celcius is 12.5 around there and flash point is 243° Celsius

• @TwentytenS4B8
    @TwentytenS4B8 Před 4 lety +6

I've been using Rotella T6 in all my cars for years. Never any problems.

• @dad3562
      @dad3562 Před rokem

The multi vehicle type of T6 or the 5W-40 diesel oil?

• @thedoodwitamullet420
    @thedoodwitamullet420 Před 3 lety +3

I have an 08 535xi wagon and I run the same oil. It's got a high zinc content than other oils like castrol and other known oil brands. Dont freak out just because it says its for diesel engines. Its because of the high temps we get with the turbos... This is all i use in my e61!!

• @nicholas9002
      @nicholas9002 Před rokem

My man 😎 can I put this in my 335i ??

• @garylangley4502
    @garylangley4502 Před rokem

In the mid 1970's I had a 1962 Studebaker Hawk with a V8 engine. I adjusted the lifters and noticed that the engine had some varnish and sludge, so I decided to use Chevron Dello 400, a high detergent diesel engine oil. By the second oil change, the engine was burning oil. I pulled the valve covers, and the engine was a lot cleaner. What it probably happened was that the rings in the "rebuilt engine" had carbon behind them, and the oil did a great job of cleaning it out, so there was less tension on the rings. I wound up having to rebuild the engine. The only thing I can suggest is that if the engine has a lot of miles on it, this oil could cause a problem like I had.

• @joes.7536
    @joes.7536 Před 5 lety

An affordable all season you might like is the bf Goodrich g force sport comp 2's. I just went through a set and I enjoyed them. I now have an extra set of wheels so I have winter tires and ultra-high-performance summer. Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 for summer. Which have incredible grip in warm weather. Like no all season could even come close to what these things can do.

• @BrianNC81
    @BrianNC81 Před 5 lety +5

I've been running T6 in my BMW 335D (diesel) for years. It's a great oil.

• @zainm526
      @zainm526 Před 3 lety

Are u running full exhaust cat deletes ever sense you use this oil? I herd it dose ash and tend to clog them over time as the T6 oil it’s not bmw Long life-04 spec.

• @BrianNC81
      @BrianNC81 Před 3 lety

@@zainm526 t6 is DPF safe but it has 20% more ash than BMW spec so if emissions are still in place, it would burn off a little more often.

• @theedge508
      @theedge508 Před 11 měsíci

Still have the 335d how its the rotella in 2023?

• @BrianNC81
      @BrianNC81 Před 11 měsíci +1

@@theedge508 152k miles on the 335d. Still going strong as a daily driver.

• @malikulamin9948
    @malikulamin9948 Před 5 lety +8

Many detergent is good for engine, as long the oil has API SL or ACEA B its good to go...and btw diesel oil had more ZDDP compare to gasoline engine, and it has more TBN compare to gasoline engine almost 11-12, it means is good against corrosion and metal wear out.

• @zaidvelasquez8976
    @zaidvelasquez8976 Před 5 lety +3

I used ford powerstoke diesel oil with 1000ppm zddp and it works well on my 328 e36

• @drhesslen
    @drhesslen Před 3 lety +1

I run Rotella 15w40 in my 1971 Mercedes 280S and 1984 380SE, both gasoline cars. This is apparently what’s required.

• @scubadivingsince2006
    @scubadivingsince2006 Před 4 lety +2

It kinda cool seeing the versatility of this oil you use it in your car an I can use it in my DD15 to pull 80k up a mountain I don’t think your going to come even close to burning it up I’ll be in 6-8th going like 35-45 with little air movement over the rad an oil cooler with a full load under full load your car won’t burn it up without literally catching on fire 🤣🤣🤣 also I wish you good luck an hope your car lasts a million 👍😎

• @Shamus71
    @Shamus71 Před 5 lety +1

I just got the Pirelli Cinturato P7 s on my car. Seem pretty good.

• @TheSavage3.6
    @TheSavage3.6 Před 4 lety +5

I’m doing an engine flush on my 4.7L RAM, and i’ve chosen Shell Rotella with Marvel Mystery Oil for this time, and i might stick with Shell Rotella T6 or Shell Rotella Gas Truck for now on after.

• @bryson3254
      @bryson3254 Před 4 lety

hows the 4.7 run with it? I just put in some T5 rotella 15w40 in mine sounds amazing

• @MrBullya
      @MrBullya Před 2 lety

Has your truck blown up yet? I've been wanting to try it on my 09 hemi and 10 4.7

• @johnbrown3845
    @johnbrown3845 Před 4 lety +1

Been using the shell 5w 30 rimula oil in mine for 4 years without 1 single hiccup

• @jeffreyMagnum460
    @jeffreyMagnum460 Před 2 lety +1

0w oil is better for colder temperatures than a 5w oil. Also a diesel engine is built much heavier with larger bearing surface's that let's them use a lower film strength oil than a synthetic gasoline engine oil.

• @superbearfur
    @superbearfur Před 5 lety

I run those Falken fk53 tires in the summer

• @mohdezwandymohdsulaiman
    @mohdezwandymohdsulaiman Před 4 lety +2

I've been HDEO almost 3 years in my car (PetroCanada UHP)

• @bryantmatthews9275
    @bryantmatthews9275 Před 5 lety

Only thing I noticed in my e28 and e34 is the idle is it runs stronger more of a cam lope

• @brianleabo6295
    @brianleabo6295 Před 2 lety

I used that oil for years. And with a good filter it last longer but I still change it every 3k

• @anayasmail4345
    @anayasmail4345 Před 4 lety +3

A mechanic told me engine oil for diesel has cleaner inside so u are cleaning the engine same time

• @123456bmx
    @123456bmx Před 5 lety +6

I'm really excited to see this.I religiously ran rotella on all my cars before my 1 series.I am so paranoid of not running the manufacturer spec Castrol.
    I am very interested so see how this goes.

• @BMWE90HQ
      @BMWE90HQ  Před 5 lety +1

So far I can report it sounds smoother on cold start (if that makes sense) and oil temps seem to stay about 10 degrees cooler when just cruising around so like 220 vs 230-235. As far as driving feel it seems the same. Of course I’ve only driven it 2 or 3 times since changing it.

• @londonbroilburnout9946
      @londonbroilburnout9946 Před rokem

@@BMWE90HQ how bout 3 yrs later?

• @BMWE90HQ
      @BMWE90HQ  Před rokem +1

@@londonbroilburnout9946 no issues for two years of ownership and no issues from the current owner who uses the same oil and same oil change intervals.

• @sportsmansparadice42
    @sportsmansparadice42 Před 3 lety

I still like the BFG COMP 2 G force tires for the hot summer or the Bridgestone SO4's. Now for winter cooler temperatures the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 Plus.

• @b20eg195
      @b20eg195 Před rokem

What's oil have to do with good summer tires 😂😂😂

• @dtruth5769
    @dtruth5769 Před 2 lety +3

DID U NOTICE ANY DIFFERENCE IN HOT OIL PRESSURE WITH THE T6 OIL???

• @KelsS1k
    @KelsS1k Před 2 lety

Michelin pilot sport 4s tires are really good, after 5 months their still holding 100% air in the Audi a6

• @moemoe9015
    @moemoe9015 Před 11 měsíci

FOR CARS With CRAZY TURBOS (EXTREME PRESSURE AND TEMPERATURE) , YOU DON'T BUY OIL FOR YOUR engine, BUT RATHER OIL FOR YOUR CRAZY TURBOCHARGERS. AND 5W40 DIESEL ENGINE OILS ARE THE ONES.

• @ralphwood8818
    @ralphwood8818 Před rokem

I quiit draining oil in 1963 with Chevron Delo 100 W30 and a Frantz oil cleaner. You couldnt use multi grade oil in a diesel. Delo was 29 cents in the discount stores per quart. Changed the Frantz and added a quart of oil every 2000 miles. Im using Walmart 20.000 mile oil these days. Dont let it get dirty. Rotella is good oil. Clean Walmart oil is better than dirty Rotella. The only oil filters I have now that clean oil is Motor Guards Gulf Coasts and a Australian Jackmaster Classic. Was talking about a series 60 Detroit with 1 million miles and 1 oil drain using 15 40 Rotella and a Gulf Coast filter.
    Got a call from Road King Magazine wanting the owners phone number. They did an article on it. Someone forgot to tell a mechanic it was a Shell oil test truck.In 1963 Delo came in W30 and W20.. multi grade polymers didnt hold up in a diesel. I used the Castrol R 30 weight in the motorcycle. About 4 dollars a quart.

• @oby-1607
    @oby-1607 Před 3 lety

WalMart had this on sale for $12 per gallon. I bought years worth of this for my oil changes by calling everyone I knew to buy up what was available in their town. Best oil for the money. Anything else is less.

• @mike89box
    @mike89box Před 5 lety

Not advertising but I use delo 400 on all my engines 15w40 I own a fleet truck company and I pay about 2.5 dlls per quarter so I use it for all my cars but its warm here tough.

• @_jstatic
    @_jstatic Před 5 lety +1

If the car don’t warm up after a few minuites the electronic thermostat is stuck open. My e60 525i runs so cold the heater won’t warm up.

• @aetrole4060
    @aetrole4060 Před 5 lety +5

I use the same oil in my m3.

• @getawaydriver750
    @getawaydriver750 Před 5 lety

you are crazy my guy. love it tho, and nice hair lmao

• @sbrave
    @sbrave Před 2 lety

Was considering Shell Rotella T1 for my 2000 328ci, any thoughts?

• @GhettoWagon
    @GhettoWagon Před 5 lety +1

I have been using this oil in old chevy small blocks for over 12 years now. I had the whole engine apart before I started using it. well most of it, Pan of timing cover, Intake. Valve covers. It had some oil bake on some parts. I dunno,, 10k later I had a leak spring up from a poor reseal I did. Opened it back up. WOW. It was so much cleaner, The baked on oil deposits on parts were all gone! What this oil is NOT good for is cold climates. The 5w-40 will get very thick when its below 20 degrees or so. They took alot of the anti wear additives in t6 Rotella but its still decent. I have a flat tappet cam so it maybe helps I don't know. Ill keep using it. You can use it in gas engines it used to state it but then they took it away because I guess they did not want to risk liability or maybe it was some EPA stuff who knows. I use the same oil in small air cooled engines too.

• @mezal1981
    @mezal1981 Před 5 lety +3

I use Diesel engine oil on my turbo gasoline engine.6 year past with no problem.

• @chinovo
      @chinovo Před 4 lety

@TheMetalGuy852 I just switched my today. First time driving , it feels great. Seems to run the engine a little more healthy

• @alexanderrosales7675
      @alexanderrosales7675 Před 3 lety +1

@Milton Keenes Its not that effective in a gas engines because it's designed to suspend heavy soot particles ,not found in gasoline combustion, thats why they made a new formulation for gasoline engines (red bottle)

• @Wergrun
    @Wergrun Před 8 měsíci

Will this T6 have negative effects on a non turbo N52? I’m already running 5w-40 from castrol.

• @BMWE90HQ
      @BMWE90HQ  Před 6 měsíci +1

No it should be fine. The main difference between Diesel and Gas oil is the additives. Diesel has additional additives to prevent build up and deposits from forming. It is good quality oil.

• @Wergrun
      @Wergrun Před 6 měsíci

@@BMWE90HQ I figured, had it about two weeks until my steering fluid leaked. I shat my pants as i thought it was the oil killing my engine.

• @topgopnik
    @topgopnik Před měsícem

I use T6 15-40 in race bikes... it is1% less quality than motul 300V and that is if you compare it to the 15w-60

• @benniestander2725
    @benniestander2725 Před rokem

The Kirkland, Amazon and Supertech Synthetic oil is very good oil. And you can use it with confidence. Do your own research.

• @bryanclaytonpena2339
    @bryanclaytonpena2339 Před 4 lety

Can i use t6 in my scooter motorcycle 110cc gasoline engine?

• @sergiosergio12345678
      @sergiosergio12345678 Před 3 lety +1

If it is 4 stroke engine than yes, motorcycle specific oils are a little better but cost a lot more, but T6 will definitely be fine for a motorcycle, the only reason motorcycle specific oils are a little better is the zinc content of around 1800 vs 1400 for T6, but gasoline only oils have around 700ppm which is really low and not good for motorcycles. Mobil 1 sync motorcycle oil is about $12 a quart, T6 about $6.

• @dastanharris
      @dastanharris Před 3 lety +2

I wouldnt recommend using it for older scooter as hdeo tend to have stronger detergent in it, not a problem if your scooter is pretty new.
      scooter can take any car engine oil, my scooter running on 10w40 synthetic engine oil, and 80w90 MTF gear oil.

• @jwagner1993
    @jwagner1993 Před 2 lety +1

My Jetta Mk4 only runs fine with this oil.

• @getawaydriver750
    @getawaydriver750 Před 5 lety

I am running Mobil1 10w40 High Mileage Advanced Full Synthetic in my 1992 e32 750il v12 right now.

• @azrishahrir5120
      @azrishahrir5120 Před 4 lety

how frequently you change the oil then?

• @2jz4life35
      @2jz4life35 Před 3 lety

@@azrishahrir5120 he's deaf and blind no wonder he's not responding.

• @azrishahrir5120
      @azrishahrir5120 Před 3 lety

@@2jz4life35 maybe he is..😂

• @deeppurplefan
    @deeppurplefan Před 4 lety +2

10K+ miles is fine on Rotella T6, maybe go less if you have turbo car and drive it hard, say 7.5K. 5K is very conservative.

• @randylee2549
    @randylee2549 Před 5 lety +1

Is the T6 Sn rated?

• @Thestockxj96
      @Thestockxj96 Před 5 lety

It doesn't say it on the bottle. It says it has a cj4 certification.

• @tristanwallace6199
      @tristanwallace6199 Před 4 lety

The 0w-40 is sn rated not the 5w-40

• @wiggy2265
    @wiggy2265 Před 4 lety

50’s cold?

• @BMWE90HQ
      @BMWE90HQ  Před 4 lety

It’s the south lol. Did I say 50s was cold ?

• @60EFFIE
    @60EFFIE Před 4 lety +2

What’s with the crazy music? Just narrate while you work dude!

• @AndrewMcSpadden
    @AndrewMcSpadden Před 5 lety +2

They just changed their formula and it no longer carries the SM rating!!!

• @BMWE90HQ
      @BMWE90HQ  Před 5 lety

I’m really not very concerned about the ratings. Just because it doesn’t carry the rating anymore doesn’t mean they changed the formula you’d have to verify with the company. A manufacturer can choose to no longer certify over a number of reasons, business disputes etc.

• @Adamz678
      @Adamz678 Před 5 lety +1

TheMetalGuy852 only if you burn oil, so if your using this oil to try to slow down your already shot engine a cat will be on the parts list after the engine you get from the salvage yard afterwards.

• @adamdodsy84
      @adamdodsy84 Před 5 lety +3

Formula has not changed. I have email from shell. Same formula as when it used to have SM rating. Api rating was removed from all w40 oils that also carried CJ4 because it was deemed unnecessary as no gasoline engines spec w40. Money savings on certification is all.

• @wascash
    @wascash Před 4 lety +1

I own a heavy diesel truck as well as gas cars. I use the cheap Rotella in the diesel and good gas oil in my gasser. Just use a good synthetic gas oil in your car you goof. They are made for it. You act like Rotella diesel is better in your gas car. It is not. They even have Rotella gas truck oil now that outperforms mobile 1.

• @burtnobody1743
    @burtnobody1743 Před 4 lety

Yes the question is can you eat pizza with a Coke doing that....I don't know...

• @cle569
    @cle569 Před 5 lety +2

more zddp

• @ueg-zm8wf
    @ueg-zm8wf Před 5 lety

use it lose it :)))

• @mike-uw6wt
    @mike-uw6wt Před 5 lety +4

Diesel oil has too many detergents to use on a regular basis.

• @BMWE90HQ
      @BMWE90HQ  Před 5 lety +1

I think that’s the reason they recommend changing the oil more often.

• @HeWhoSitsOnFences
      @HeWhoSitsOnFences Před 5 lety +3

They recommend changing the oil more often because in a diesel oil gets thicker as it gets older while in a gasoline it gets thinner. If you have an oil designed to thin out you're gonna have a bad time.

• @HeWhoSitsOnFences
      @HeWhoSitsOnFences Před 5 lety +3

You gota trust me, the diesel oil in gas engine guys are morons. No science behind it besides "hurr, it's for a diesel so it must be stronger?". A diesel oil is designed to resist clumping, a gasoline oil is designed to resist fuel dilution. Sure, the friction additives are pretty damn similar so it won't just blow up but it's definitely not the best choice. Motul, Liquimoly, Amsoil and Redline all make fastastic oils.

• @mike-uw6wt
      @mike-uw6wt Před 5 lety +1

TheMetalGuy852 why not use a 40 weight oil made for gas engines? If there was an overall benefit to diesel oil, the oil companies would just use more detergents in the oil they sell fo gas engines.

• @malikulamin9948
      @malikulamin9948 Před 5 lety +3

Many detergent is good for engine, as long the oil has API SL or ACEA B its good to go...and btw diesel oil had more ZDDP compare to gasoline engine, and it has more TBN compare to gasoline engine almost 11-12, it means is good against corrosion.

• @xtr0city
    @xtr0city Před 5 lety +2

"Don't use Walmart oil brand"
    Goes and uses a common Walmart deisel oil brand in a gas POS lol

• @BMWE90HQ
      @BMWE90HQ  Před 5 lety +8

Why you hating? Where did my video hurt you?... Walmart brand oil and oil sold by Walmart are hardly the same thing... What do you drive that makes a 335i a POS?, a civic? 😂

• @vw3576
      @vw3576 Před 5 lety

Cameron skinner you are a fucking douche. When did Shell work for Walmart

• @thedoodwitamullet420
      @thedoodwitamullet420 Před 3 lety

Thats where they sell Rotella T6. Thats where I get my oil for every oil change 4-5k miles. With BMS OCC and RB pcv valve helps with corrosion buildup. I own a BMW e61

• @thedoodwitamullet420
      @thedoodwitamullet420 Před 3 lety

@@BMWE90HQ walmart sells Rotella T6. Thats where I buy mine by the gallon at $22.98.

• @thedoodwitamullet420
      @thedoodwitamullet420 Před 3 lety +1

@TheMetalGuy852 shouldn't be called a walmart oil. You won't find it anywhere else cheaper than walmarts price!