Thermalright AXP 90: X47 vs X53 in the FormD T1

Sdílet
Vložit
  • čas přidán 29. 08. 2024

Komentáře • 55

• @chrisrussellca
    @chrisrussellca  Před 4 měsíci +7

Thank you guys for the kind words and support in the comments. I really appreciate it. My goal is to constantly improve on the quality of my videos, that includes lighting, production, voiceovers, testing methodology and more. This week I planned for a really big video to be released (One Month FormD T1 Review) that was supposed to be a huge bump in quality but it has unfortunately been delayed. I wanted to give you guys something this week and so I picked up the Thermaltight AXP-90 X47 to compare to the X53. Going forward I’d like to take more time on each video and maybe release once every 1-2 weeks. I really thank you all for understanding. It’s been amazing seeing my follower count sour past 250. 😊

• @Druskqq
    @Druskqq Před 4 měsíci +11

Thanks for the comparison. Tip: use graphs or diagrams instead of numeric tables. Much easier to visualize differences in this case.

• @chrisrussellca
      @chrisrussellca  Před 4 měsíci +2

I'll keep that in mind, I used graphs on previous videos but didn't think it made a meaningful difference, I'll reconsider going forward.

• @GuyGamer1
    @GuyGamer1 Před 4 měsíci +3

Great video and relevant to what I needed! Thanks.
    One note regarding dB: It is a logarithmic scale. +10dB is 1000% more sound pressure, and perceived as 100% louder. So calculating the difference in percent is not the usual math you would do for a linear scale.
    You can calculate the difference in perceived loudness with this formula: 2^(dB difference/10). A 2dB difference is 2^(2/10) = 1.15x louder, or 15%.
    And the difference in sound pressure with 10^(dB difference/10). Though perceived loudness is much more useful for this application.

• @chrisrussellca
      @chrisrussellca  Před 4 měsíci

Thank you for the feedback. However I must admit sound and decibel testing is way above my head. I think it’s just best for me to show the number. I did purchase a dedicated decibel meter for my upcoming videos.

• @slava_in3757
    @slava_in3757 Před 4 měsíci +5

Have x53 coped with Noctua NF A12x25 - works great, much more silent than the stock fan, but due to proximity to the case wall sound doubles as the air goes through the grate close to it
    Was thinking about lowering the profile with x47 as even being 5mm away from the grate makes huge difference for th fan noise
    And judging by your tests it completely worth it to be switching
    Thanks a lot for the video! Saved my life

• @nouryy
    @nouryy Před 4 měsíci +5

Excellent video!
    Would be awesome to see a comparison between the X47 Black and the full copper version.

• @chrisrussellca
      @chrisrussellca  Před 4 měsíci +4

It’s coming soon, already had it on the test bench!

• @nouryy
      @nouryy Před 4 měsíci +2

@@chrisrussellca Music to my ears. You've been on a roll so keep up the excellent work!

• @LogimonYT
    @LogimonYT Před 4 měsíci +3

This video release right after i need it! Was wondering how far the diff between x47 and x53. I would go for x47 after watching this. Thanks man!

• @chrisrussellca

Hopefully it’s not too late to make the change. I’m also releasing a video on the Noctua NH-L9a AM5 on a 7900X, spoiler, it gets hot.

• @traverhart2169
    @traverhart2169 Před měsícem +1

Your first benchmark shows pretty high core temps across the board. Did you check to see whether there was any throttling going on? If the CPU is being throttled due to thermals, then neither of these coolers is handling the load and this comparison isn't telling us very much.
    Thanks for the video. Interesting work.

• @chrisrussellca
      @chrisrussellca  Před měsícem

They’re 100% being throttles on the 7900X, however I like to think of my test with the CPU as one of the worst case scenarios. You’ll see far better results with lower TDP chips like the 7900, 7800X3D etc. I’d test those if I had those. I know there are people out there looking to go small form factor with a CPU they already own and sometimes it’s a power hungry 12c 24t processor. If you want to use this CPU and cooler, you can with some tinkering and power limits.

• @amanuelworku6183
    @amanuelworku6183 Před 23 dny +1

Doing gods work ty. BTW can ask what it idled at when using the x53? And also where did you get the tdp rating of the coolers I cant find it anywhere ?

• @chrisrussellca
      @chrisrussellca  Před 23 dny +2

Check the Thermalright website but it’s also on the box of the cooler. Honestly don’t listen to the TDP. If you use anything more than a Ryzen 7, you’ll have to undervolt or limit power.

• @user-lq6rb2yl7p
    @user-lq6rb2yl7p Před měsícem +1

Very useful. Thank you.

• @miguelcorser804
    @miguelcorser804 Před 2 měsíci +1

I paired de X47 copper version with a Noctua A9 chromax and is a blast

• @chrisrussellca
    @chrisrussellca  Před 4 měsíci +1

I just noticed that there is some sound crackling during the sound samples when you boost the volume to 100%, currently unsure how this happened but fix this going forward.

• @danebeee1
    @danebeee1 Před 4 měsíci +2

I wonder if the pure rock lp from be quiet would be better?? The total height is 92mm but there are no clips and the screws and pretty deep down in the holes so it might actually work well. Would be interested to see if it works. **edit** nevermind I thought there was 90mm clearance not 50

• @cecilchan1988
    @cecilchan1988 Před 4 měsíci +2

Hi chris - would you be willing to test between the x47 and x53 copper versions?

• @chrisrussellca

Hi, I'm definitely looking into that comparison.

• @LogimonYT
      @LogimonYT Před 4 měsíci

Perhaps the non cooper vs cooper version first i would say

• @ronnyspanneveld8110
    @ronnyspanneveld8110 Před 4 měsíci +1

Try the all copper one. i use that now makes big difference.

• @chrisrussellca

It might already be in the making. X47 not X53

• @jdp117
    @jdp117 Před 4 měsíci +2

I picked up the X47 Copper to cool my 13700K (ambitious, I know) but found serious compatibility issues with the Strix B760i motherboard. There are nodes on the back of the board, so you need to flip the mounting plate, but then the fastening nuts protrude too much and get in the way of the riser cable which runs in between the backside of the mobo and the GPU on the other side of the case. It's just not compatible at all with that specific motherboard. You may be able to get away with it with a slightly longer or more flexible riser cable to add a bit of space, but anyone using this board should generally avoid this cooler, even with low power intel CPUs. I never got the chance to test the X47 on the 13700K, so I can't say if it even works.
    Anyway, I thought I'd leave this comment as I couldn't find any information about this particular combination of parts online. Might be helpful for others.
    Enjoying the T1 content as always!

• @chrisrussellca

Thanks for sharing. Did you try the smaller screws that come in the box? I had the issue with the screws protruding and I just swapped them out for the shorter screws and now just the bolts stick out the back only.

• @R.O.B.I.C
      @R.O.B.I.C Před 4 měsíci +1

I bought the X53 model and I have the same problem. The screws stick out from the other side and the cables from RISER are pressed. And crumpled. There are no other screws. The fault is that the mounting plate must be mounted upside down and long screws must be used. I cannot lay the mounting plate flat on the board because there is a risk of damaging the Asus B760 mini ATX transistors. The only chance is to replace the graphics card which does not have a protective board over its integrated circuits. Or unscrew it because it makes it thick and takes 4-5 mm and presses the RISER. I do not know English

• @chrisrussellca

@@R.O.B.I.C Interesting. My X53 and X47 Black came with two sets of screws, one longer than the other. Before I had the screws sticking out causing my riser cable to get a few dents, it protruded out about 2-3mm swapped to short and no longer had the problem. imgur.com/gallery/DMGuwfO

• @R.O.B.I.C
      @R.O.B.I.C Před 4 měsíci

@@chrisrussellca czcams.com/video/6tfw5th66HQ/video.html a short screw is used when the sheet metal is mounted on the plate, when the sheet metal is the other way around, there must be a long screw... Just like he does here

• @jdp117
      @jdp117 Před 4 měsíci +1

@@chrisrussellca The bolts sticking out is what causes the issue, doesn't matter if the screws are longer or shorter. They stick out even more when the mounting plate is flipped, as the mounting holes become elevated to clear the transistors on the back of the board. It's just totally incompatible.

• @diegocervantes4977
    @diegocervantes4977 Před 4 měsíci +1

What app did you use to measure the decibles?

• @chrisrussellca

It’s called NIOSH SLM. Over time I may invest in something better to measure.

• @laurentgagne892
    @laurentgagne892 Před 4 měsíci +1

the aluminium version perform better than the full copper version in my opinion... copper will run 2-3 degree cooler but when under load it will cool down slower than aluminum thus staying hotter over short period of time

• @chrisrussellca

I’m still finalizing the tests but I believe the x47 copper is very competitive. I’m using it with no power limits at stock, however with a -20 curve optimizer.

• @laurentgagne892
      @laurentgagne892 Před 4 měsíci

@@chrisrussellca it depends what you want to do...if you do photo/video edting aluminium will cool down faster between loads...gaming wont load the cores much so copper could run a little cooler

• @kuzzzzzzzzzzzz7511
    @kuzzzzzzzzzzzz7511 Před 28 dny +1

Try the full copper version please 🙏

• @chrisrussellca
      @chrisrussellca  Před 28 dny +1

I did. It’s on my channel but in need to update it as my reading methodology has changed

• @kuzzzzzzzzzzzz7511
      @kuzzzzzzzzzzzz7511 Před 28 dny

​@@chrisrussellca I mean the axp90 x57 full copper

• @chrisrussellca
      @chrisrussellca  Před 28 dny

@@kuzzzzzzzzzzzz7511 I have that one too but it doesn’t fit in the T1 3 or 3.25 slot. Too much dab vibration

• @diegocervantes4977
    @diegocervantes4977 Před 4 měsíci +2

watch optimum tech and take notes of what he does on his videos, replicate it, repeat it, and over time, make it better

• @chrisrussellca

For sure, you want to make a tremendous amount of progress in a short amount of time to try and compete with channels like Optimum but it really takes time.

• @MatsPolestar
      @MatsPolestar Před 4 měsíci

@@chrisrussellca This video was great, and I got the info i wanted from watching. Just bought the 47. Keep it up man!

• @diegocervantes4977
      @diegocervantes4977 Před 4 měsíci +1

@@chrisrussellcayou did a fantastic job, you can even be better than optimum tech, sure it takes time. But if you are willing to put the time and effort, you will get there eventually. You did better than 99% of youtubers, so be proud!

• @chrisrussellca

@@diegocervantes4977 thanks. For sure, they inspired me so I’m okay if they’re better. For me building a good benchmark mythology is my goal