Repairing very worn cast iron tractor axle. Valtra T203

Sdílet
Vložit
  • čas přidán 11. 11. 2023
  • In this video I repair a worn out axle centre pivot.
    The first job is to identify what the axle is made of, this is done by breaking a piece off and inspecting the crystal structure, a grind test to see the colour of the sparks and also by filing a little bit off and checking the filings. The decision was of cast iron.
    The weld area was ground down ready to be welded. Super cast ultima rods were chosen as a filler material. The whole area was preheated and then the worn area was built back up again, the burner was left inside the casting as a post heat to cool the axle down slowly.
    The axle was then moved over onto the milling machine where the boring head was used to turn the pivot down to 110mm. The top surface was also faced off.
    A steel shelve was made in the lathe to be fitted over the pivot to bring the final size back up to the standard 120mm. The shelve was expended with heat and then shrunk on with 0.25mm interference fit. A small chamfer was put onto the new shelve to finish the job off.
    Hope you enjoyed the video.
    Thanks for watching.

Komentáře • 487

• @larryskeeper1197

Must've been a big snake wrapped around that farmer's grease gun!!

• @billdoodson4232

Always amazes me how people can let stuff get so bad before they think it might be time to fix it.

• @Rich-on6fe

The temperature reading you get with your IR thermometer will vary enormously depending on whether you're pointing it at a fresh shiny surface or a dull dirty one. A clean shiny surface acts as a mirror (a hot mirror) that causes the thermometer to 'see' some other part of your workshop, which is colder than the workpiece itself. Playing around with a thermal imaging camera is a good way of getting a feel for this.

• @JRattheranch

Those cast rods worked really well! Much better than those I used to use, usually unsuccessfully, 50 years ago! Nice job of machining too! That pillar extension worked a treat too! 👌

• @Osgard
    @Osgard  +5

That is pita to grease. You have to get front axle up in the air and swing it when greasing. Or that is what valtra says. And points are under tractor of course.

• @beyondmiddleagedman7240

Only thing I would have done that you didn't would have been a machinist jack on the table at the knuckle end to support and reduce stress on the angle plate. Since nearly every thing I do is out of my comfort zone, I appreciate watching others go there too. It's how we learn to do the cool stuff. Now, if only the operator can find his grease gun.

• @lawrencemanning

The funny look after “farmers are usually good at greasing their machinery” is priceless.

• @onlyme7939

Sunday morning magic

• @haydenwilliams1750

I don't remember a farmer greasing anything before those 18v grease guns came along!

• @nineoclockhero

Farmers make their own grease from watered down loam.

• @pierremarcoux886

No music no blabla no bulshit just proffssional interesting content, and learning that you can't see everyday.

• @ringstinga

Love your honesty when you are doing something that you have not done before ! Also I like the way you think on your feet and come up with solutions to problems ! Keep it up young man you are doing great work and it is refreshing to see !

• @jayusher576
    @jayusher576 Před 21 dnem

Looks like that comfort zone just got a bit bigger nicely done.👍🏻

• @simontravis7452

Fabulous repair, so many elements to work on, and adaptions of the milling machine, super job Oliver.

• @marksecret9973

A very minor point compared to the excellence of the repair but I hope it is helpful. The laser indictor on infrared thermometers makes it look/feel like you are getting the temperature at that exact point at any range. In reality the infrared cone widens quickly - if you would like to truly know the exact temperature of a particular spot you need to test from only a few inches away. (Many IR thermometers do have a graph indicating this on the side, others it is hidden in the instructions.)

• @michaellynskey7124

Snowball engineering is always trying to improve his ability to take on certain jobs which normally wouldn’t entertain, Such the cast welding and the machining with mill to finish up with a nearly perfect finish, Extremely well done for taking on and showing these great engineering videos 🇮🇪

• @paulhammond7489

Nicely done. I've never done it myself, but many of those doing welding to cast iron use a thermal blanket wrap the workpiece in order to extend the cooling period as long as possible to reduce post welding fractures. Was good to see the mill column extension put to use... Enjoying your videos :)

• @oldmuppet191

Snowball - Superb engineering on a Yorkshire budget. To do that with cast iron - well done.

• @zippo1009

This channel is THE definition of ingenuity at it´s very, very best!

• @garymucher4082

Very nice rebuild of that huge metal cast iron tractor axle part. It should work for years to come now! Thumbs Up!