$399 Budget Direct Drive Smart Trainer Review - Magene T100

Sdílet
Vložit
  • čas přidán 24. 07. 2024
  • GET 10% DISCOUNT on the Magene T100 : bit.ly/3sAUC95
    Use code ''CHARLESOUIMET10'' - In-Stocks & ~ 10 days shipping
    You need to create an account and log-in BEFORE check-out to have the discount code working
    Don't forget to LIKE and hit the SUBSCRIBE button to watch more of my videos!
    0:00 B-rolls
    0:27 How it started & Intro
    0:59 Quick disclaimer
    1:17 T100 Presentation
    2:54 This trainer is Silent AF
    3:15 Power Accuracy
    3:30 The 3 main Drawbacks
    6:11 How does it compare to other direct drive trainer?
    7:06 Test racing footage in Crit City CAT A
    9:08 My Final Recommendations
    10:17 This trainer is ideal for you GF
    11:29 DISCOUNT CODE!
    Visit my blog for more cycling content! bit.ly/2JdlxWO
    Find me on Strava & IG:
    / charlesouimet
    / refinedmoment
    / strava
    ⚠️PROMO & DISCOUNTS⚠️
    Visit my website for 10% to 25% discount on all my partners!
    👉 bit.ly/3okdUwk 👈
    Speed-up by Winspace frame and Hyper wheels
    Pedal Harder with BONT Shoes
    Ride in Style with Pedal Mafia
    Fueled by Xact Nutrition
    Get Faster with Cycling Coach Ric Stern
    Get Stronger with Airofit
    Save Watts with Nova Ride
    👉 bit.ly/3okdUwk 👈
    General & Business Inquiries: charles@refinedmoment.com📧
  • Sport

Komentáře • 161

• @CharlesOuimet
    @CharlesOuimet  Před 3 lety +2

If the discount is NOT working, you need to create/register an account and login BEFORE checking out. It should work after to get you $40 OFF :)

• @lijamesli4233
    @lijamesli4233 Před 3 lety +4

Fantastic review! Bro, it's the most impressive video on entry level bike trainers on CZcams. As a amateur, over 700 watts is such a high standard to achieve, T100 seems the great choice for me! And it's compact and silent, I like it very much!

• @luca7588
    @luca7588 Před 2 lety +1

Bought the T100 after your reciew, love it, thanks Charles!

• @stephen4347
    @stephen4347 Před 3 lety +2

This is a good trainer for someone with a heart rate monitor/power meter. I just bought a wheel on trainer no zwift just riding to a structured workout plan. I upgraded do to noise and I went with a smart option so I can try zwift.

• @user-vw7fz3eq1b
    @user-vw7fz3eq1b Před 3 lety +1

I'm using it, really satisfied with it.

• @rachiewildflower
    @rachiewildflower Před 3 lety +1

Thank you for the video, its good to see a real review of something like this
    I am currently searching for a new trainer since my cheap magnetic one broke and then I purchased a newer one only to realise that it did not fit my wheels since I am 5ft lady! Can't get any bigger wheels or I'll never be able to get on, so was looking at direct drive since it doesn't matter about wheel size/frame (I hope).
    I liked seeing your girlfriend appear and give her opinion too, was helpful, thank you (: might be my next purchase!
    Is there anything else to know? Another review mentioned cassete doesn't come with it? (I don't know what kind I would have to buy and whether it matters)

• @CharlesOuimet
      @CharlesOuimet  Před 3 lety

My pleasure! Glad you liked the review. You are right is doesn't come with a casette, you could go with the trainer to your local bike shop and they could sell you one and mount it!

• @tvKACAQ
    @tvKACAQ Před 3 lety +1

Great detail review 👍🏻

• @djspyk9111
    @djspyk9111 Před 3 lety

I agree with you that direct drive trainers are the best but it's all a matter of how much you can afford to spend on a trainer. It's also true that wheel-on trainers are very loud or noisy and sometimes unstable (depending on the model and brand) - I own and use a Wahoo Kickr Snap, but I will always take such a trainer over this Magene T100 especially because of parameters like max. power, cadence, resistance and road feel.

• @CharlesOuimet

Still the kickr snap is an extra 100$ and pretty much out of stock everywhere ahah! I'd 100% go for the direct drive here. I hated my wheel-on taxc vortex

• @MellowYellowCJ7
    @MellowYellowCJ7 Před 3 lety +1

This might be a good race day warm up device. Battery powered! So, if I'm doing a workout like TrainerRoad or similar, would I just need to change gears and match the cadence to get the desired output power? Thanks for the review. I just found your channel. :)

• @CharlesOuimet
      @CharlesOuimet  Před 3 lety +1

Yes I'll for sure use that to races for warmup instead of rollers, just with there were an handle.
      Yup the resistance is constant, so you just need to change your gears to output the power require. As shown in the video, the cadence sensor is just approximate. Glad you found it!!

• @RicardoChial
    @RicardoChial Před 3 lety +1

nice video, in resume, this semi-smart trainer is like a big power meter, but only can do 700w jajaja, thanks for the video. have a nice day, hi from Panama.

• @theif2592
    @theif2592 Před 3 lety +1

Charles! Would be awesome if you make a review of the t300 model!
    Thnx!

• @CharlesOuimet

Yeah later down the road I will! So far it's great, but I think it's too expensive outside of China

• @nickbayer7847
    @nickbayer7847 Před 6 měsíci

Appreciate the video 👍👍

• @d.o9115
    @d.o9115 Před 3 lety +1

Great 👍🏾 review bro.

• @EddieRyce
    @EddieRyce Před 3 lety

A wireless unit about bloody time in this day and age. Very cool

• @Jk-ie3rd
    @Jk-ie3rd Před 3 lety +1

Great honest review! Im currently just inches away from checking out on this trainer. However do you have issues related to flywheel overheating? Or disconnected power meter during a ride?
    Since this will make up my mind and i appreciate your share toughts

• @CharlesOuimet

Hey Jason! Didn't had any power drop or overheating from my testing. My GF has been on it for the last weeks with no issue!

• @MrTicomachado
    @MrTicomachado Před 7 měsíci

Can i use this device without playing any "game"? Just training!

• @Aprendeinglescantando2425

Nice review , one concern , the adapters for 148 mm boost thru axle adapters comes right out of the box ? Or is necessary to buy it separately? Thks you

• @CharlesOuimet

Hummm good question! Maybe send them a question email. It was in my shipment because I requested it, but don't know if it comes by default

• @DanielHegartyVids
      @DanielHegartyVids Před 2 lety

did you find out?

• @mikaeldambremont4204
    @mikaeldambremont4204 Před rokem

L'accent québécois haha chu cramper!! Bonne vidéo review complet et intéressant!!

• @adyakristanto
    @adyakristanto Před 3 lety +1

hello charles, i've watched your video 3 times .. is this trainer suitable for endurance training? thank you

• @CharlesOuimet

Absolutely! I'd say it's best for endurance and not sprints

• @adyakristanto
      @adyakristanto Před 3 lety

@@CharlesOuimet yaa..if you are faced with a condition, night work for 1 season (such as winter), and if you cycle during the day or evening there is too much traffic. I think it's a pretty good investment

• @DeepEndDiving
    @DeepEndDiving Před 3 lety

Good review

• @raphaeltiziani7476
    @raphaeltiziani7476 Před 3 lety +1

6:03 why should cadence be a useless metric? My coach lets me do lots of strenght work on the bike also and it improved my power at low rpm when Im climbing steep mountain passes.

• @CharlesOuimet

Cadence work can be usefull, but having the exact metric I don't think so. You either grind, normal, or spin. No need of having the exact number because we all have different twitch muscles. Some people can't spin more than 110 while I can do 180. If a structure workeout say to do 120, it would not be representative for each person muscle ability.
      Thus, you either grind, normal or spin, that's my though on it.

• @garrettcal1812
    @garrettcal1812 Před 2 lety

Hi. Great video. I just purchased the Magene t100. I'm riding a 8 speed Specialized cassette. I installed an 11 speed cassette on the trainer. it keeps skipping and my connection to the app is sketchy. Any thoughts. Thank you

• @CharlesOuimet
      @CharlesOuimet  Před 2 lety

well is your bike 8 or 11 speed? This is not cross compatible!

• @quintennn
    @quintennn Před 3 lety

I don't mind the Max power, at least not right know. I would buy it if it could do automatic resistance

• @richardking6985
    @richardking6985 Před 3 lety

The Gravat 2 or the T300 from magene can be found for around 600USD.

• @Grunge_Cycling
      @Grunge_Cycling Před 3 lety

I bought my Gravat 2 for $300 plus shipping lol. Try harder.

• @CharlesOuimet

How and where? It's more available outside of Asia at that price..

• @DavidR8
    @DavidR8 Před 2 lety

Thanks for the review. Was the $399 price in CDN dollars?

• @teamasprec9167
    @teamasprec9167 Před rokem

Can i fit 12speeed shimano cogs?

• @fabricioorrego5783
    @fabricioorrego5783 Před 3 lety

Is the price in US or CAD? Merci Charles pour le review!

• @nicgagnon121
    @nicgagnon121 Před 2 lety

Bonjour Charles, j'ai un Kinetic rock & roll et je veux le changer pour un a entrainement direct car celui que j'ai presentement est encombrant et je n'aime pas le fait du rouleau sur le pneu. Me suggeres-tu le T100 ? Merci encore :)

• @CharlesOuimet

Salut! Moyens pour le T100 à cause de son max power de 700w. Si jamais tu veux courser sur zwift, c'est impossible de faire le finish :(
      Mais sinon c'est super pour le budget. Ma copine utilise tout le temps

• @CavenInToTheWorld
    @CavenInToTheWorld Před 2 lety

Hi. I want to buy this. Im not gona use zwift. But i want to use this for having a sweat when weather is not permitted to cycle. So can you still recommend this for just having a workout when times I can't cycle outside?

• @arifrahmanhakim6636
    @arifrahmanhakim6636 Před 2 lety

Said T100 doesn't have speed sensor, is it?
    But i see in your zwitft, your speed is indicated.
    Can it connect with garmin edge130 instead computer?

• @CharlesOuimet
      @CharlesOuimet  Před 2 lety +1

It sends power data to zwift and then zwift calculate speed

• @maheshjagwani6003
    @maheshjagwani6003 Před rokem

Hi ! Any long term reviews on this? Whats the longevity like? Any issues?

• @Laogai001
    @Laogai001 Před 2 lety

Can you stick a wahoo speed sensor on the flywheel? This is for me.

• @davidhicks7160
    @davidhicks7160 Před 3 lety

Did you have any issues with your derailleur running into the trainer case? My long cage 105 RD hits the case where the v-belt lives and won't let me go into the largest rear cog

• @CharlesOuimet

Thats weird! No I havent got that issue

• @davidhicks7160
      @davidhicks7160 Před 3 lety

@@CharlesOuimet Thanks for the reply; I agree it's strange!

• @glassr11
    @glassr11 Před 3 lety

Hi Charles. I currently use tacx vortex wheel on for 40 minutes a day for exercise. I slightly increase slope to make it feel like uphill for a better sweat. I don't use zwift. I was looking at tacx flux to get a better ride. Should i consider this instead. Thanks! Will my tacx app still tell me speed and distance with this?

• @CharlesOuimet

Hey! This is better than vortex, but at that point, youre maybe better go straight to the Flux, I love my flux!
      I'd recommend this trainer for anyone who is looking at a first trainer

• @glassr11
      @glassr11 Před 3 lety

@@CharlesOuimet Thank you for the quick reply. There are so many details to consider. I do like having the option for the trainer to automatically adjust, so probably makes more sense to go for the flux. Aside from higher watts, any other details to consider in this decision? Thanks again for your help!

• @glassr11
      @glassr11 Před 3 lety

@@CharlesOuimet Ever see any deals on the flux s? All I've seen is $749.

• @CharlesOuimet

@@glassr11 not really!

• @CharlesOuimet

@@glassr11 I dont think so! I've said it all into this vid!

• @garrettcal1812

Hey Charles. How's the trainer holding up these days. I may purchase one soon

• @CharlesOuimet
      @CharlesOuimet  Před 2 lety +1

Fine! My girlfriend used it all the time. Works great!

• @diegoeleazar9154
    @diegoeleazar9154 Před rokem

Hi, im plannig on buying one. Did you have any issues with th t100?

• @garrettcal1812

Hi Charles. Hope all is well with you and your girl. I got the trainer but having connections issues. Any thoughts???

• @CharlesOuimet

Weird? We never had any issue with her trainer

• @garrettcal1812

@@CharlesOuimet Hi again. Update. Downloaded Zwift, no connection problems. Onelap not so good. Thanks

• @bet609
    @bet609 Před 3 lety

bolts installed upside down. rear leg/foot seems to be installed otherway around

• @CharlesOuimet

Figured out the bolts were upside down, but doen't change anything in the end... rear leg doesn't have a direction... or maybe? lol it still works

• @bet609
      @bet609 Před 3 lety

@@CharlesOuimet bike is off center so need longer legs on drive side just like the front leg/foot

• @CharlesOuimet

@@bet609 thanks! I'll check it out

• @zoltawiewiorka9555
    @zoltawiewiorka9555 Před rokem +1

Literally best buy. Since 2 years in use. What is the language of the review? HUNGARIAN?

• @KazuyaST
    @KazuyaST Před 2 lety

Bro can i use this trainer and use my crank based power meter with swift?

• @CharlesOuimet

Absolutely! But you'll still be limited to 700-800-ish watts sprints due to the lack of resistance

• @miguelesteban8775
    @miguelesteban8775 Před 3 lety

Which PM did you use in the race? Built in t100 Pm or external Pm?

• @CharlesOuimet

built in PM, reads a bit high!

• @miguelesteban8775
      @miguelesteban8775 Před 3 lety

@@CharlesOuimet thank you for the answer. Also i would ike to get your opinion on hyper x and lun wheels? Which is better overall with best value as being a priority?

• @CharlesOuimet

@@miguelesteban8775 LUN if it's your first carbon wheels, hyper if you are looking for the best performance! The carbon spokes are amazing. Watch my videos on them

• @ChinaCycling
    @ChinaCycling Před 3 lety +13

I heard Charles and Joe were going to race up Alp D'Zwift on their Magene trainers, is it true? 🤣🤣🤣

• @aim-at-me
      @aim-at-me Před 3 lety

Aren't you Joe?

• @CharlesOuimet

Ahahah that would be hilarious to see how I can DESTROY you 🤣😜 JK

• @ChinaCycling
      @ChinaCycling Před 3 lety +1

@@aim-at-me ;) I've achieved pompus CZcams status and started referring to myself in the third person.

• @ChinaCycling
      @ChinaCycling Před 3 lety +1

@@CharlesOuimet In my BEST form (2019) I could probably hold your wheel....just. But now, hahaha. 2 mins and I'm out the back door. Still, it's not about the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog. 😉 Bring it.

• @CharlesOuimet

@@ChinaCycling Wow wise words from a wise man right here

• @ramouflard
    @ramouflard Před 3 lety +1

one order with your code mate ;) . Keep it up

• @CharlesOuimet

Cool man! I'm sure you'll enjoy it

• @ramouflard
      @ramouflard Před 3 lety +1

@@CharlesOuimet Hope so. Not too sure about riding indoors but with a pretty high probability of new lockdowns in France in 2021, I'd be happy to have one :) . Also cool for short and efficient sessions during lunch breaks ;) . We'll see !

• @esalanainoca3010
    @esalanainoca3010 Před 2 lety

Is it good for Ironman Training?

• @roadiemuhsil9821
    @roadiemuhsil9821 Před 2 lety

Bro how can you say cadence is useless metric cadence soo important for cheap trainig thats how they train they in kerala even cad sensor value soo expensive we use gears and we can calculate powrd

• @CharlesOuimet

Having an exact cadence metric is not the most important one, not the cadence itself. You spin, you grind, or you go 90rpm

• @roadiemuhsil9821
      @roadiemuhsil9821 Před 2 lety

@@CharlesOuimet 100+ is my comfort cadence 😎crisfroome

• @leonard.isaiah
    @leonard.isaiah Před 3 lety +1

Nice, I just need a cheap option like this that won't wake up the whole neighborhood.

• @jjedwardpopuli3513
    @jjedwardpopuli3513 Před 2 lety

is this compatible to a thru axle ?

• @TristanTaillon
    @TristanTaillon Před 3 lety +1

Gab get a compliment:
    Gab-...LEAVE A THUMBS UP! Peace!

• @leflate
    @leflate Před 3 lety

So no ERG mode? Not very smart.
    Cadence is an important metric for Sufferfest training.

• @CharlesOuimet

Thus the semi-smart term. At less than $400 for a direct drive, I'm all ok to ditch the ERG more that I've never use anyway...

• @leflate
      @leflate Před 3 lety

@@CharlesOuimet ERG and cadence are super important to structured training apps like Trainerroad and Sufferfest, and even Zwift training plans. This thing doesn’t even have a power meter it only calculates power through a speed sensor with a resistance curve which is why its accuracy sucks. I hate to say it, but did you watch Gplama’s review before? He tore it apart.

• @EddieRyce
    @EddieRyce Před 3 lety +1

and then i watch on and hear it is semi smart. man they take with one hand and give away with the other

• @CharlesOuimet

Yeah that's the issue of being wireless ahah

• @leflate
      @leflate Před 3 lety +1

It’s actually not smart at all. No adjustable resistance. And there’s no power meter per se, it’s just a speed sensor with a resistance curve applied to it, and that’s why it’s not super precise.

• @EddieRyce
      @EddieRyce Před 3 lety

@@leflate semi smart is like when you got a TV and found out it was HD steady and not actually an HD TV #gutted lol

• @leflate
      @leflate Před 3 lety

@@EddieRyce i know, what’s weird is all other reviews actually describe this as non-smart

• @scotth3354
    @scotth3354 Před 3 lety

Trainers don’t have power output, they have resistance.

• @riffmeisterkl
    @riffmeisterkl Před 3 lety

It looks like a kickr core..

• @user-ss8vu7mh9e
    @user-ss8vu7mh9e Před 2 měsíci

So you need to change the title to include 'semi'

• @16gero95
    @16gero95 Před 3 lety

If the accuracy is anything like their t300 it's not worth it tbh

• @CharlesOuimet

I did not do power accuracy testing in this video, because it's not important for those who will buy this trainer, they are beginners and probably don,t have the notion of power accuracy. It's rated at +-3% and I've seen it's somewhat around that. Even if it was +-10%, it's totally fine for beginners. For the T300, GP Lama found it was somewhat under-reporting all the time, but China Cycling video show some accurate data. I'll have to test that one ;)

• @lereveure
      @lereveure Před 3 lety +1

@@CharlesOuimet It's true that testing a company's claim about the 3% accuracy for smart trainer should be pretty important. For example, I would love to buy that type of trainer for my GF, and maybe for a backup smart trainer if mine were to break. Especially now, if you have a pair of favero assioma, doing the comparison would take like 10m.

• @gplama
      @gplama Před 3 lety +2

@@lereveure I agree David. If a company makes an accuracy claim, it has to be tested and verified to be true and correct. Anything less here in Australia results in massive fines by our consumer protection body. RE: The T300. My test protocol covered from 0W to ~1200W with steady state efforts from 200W, 250W, and 300W for extended periods. I'm more than happy to see people repeat my testing. Only then can my data be compared to other tests.

• @16gero95
      @16gero95 Před 3 lety

@@CharlesOuimet it's not only about accuracy because in the end of the day all power meters will read the power a little bit different. It's more about the trainer being consistent that if it shows you 200w one day and 200w the next they are the same power and not 20 watts apart.

• @guiannemojica9030
    @guiannemojica9030 Před rokem +1

did I hear girlfriends??😂

• @nickvandam1214
    @nickvandam1214 Před 2 lety

I don't see the point of this trainer. I'd always go for a pedal power meter and dumb trainer with a higher max power for less cost. Sure it has the drawbacks of a wheel on trainer (noise, and needing a separate tire), but you get a power meter that can go with you anywhere.

• @CharlesOuimet

No perfect products exist! This one is great for some cyclists, not others

• @StarCraftHeros
    @StarCraftHeros Před 3 lety +3

Is this dude kidding about cadence being useless?

• @emilebrunelle7010
      @emilebrunelle7010 Před 3 lety +1

If you heard right, he said it because the cadence it showed wasn't right, so it was pretty useless to check it

• @StarCraftHeros
      @StarCraftHeros Před 3 lety +1

@@emilebrunelle7010 I was listening incorrect due to being in a sleepy haze. my apologies

• @emilebrunelle7010
      @emilebrunelle7010 Před 3 lety

No worries ahah

• @CharlesOuimet

I do think cadence is an useless metric as long as the average is anywhere between 80-100, ideally 90 as lot's of research shows.
      But some people might be more grinder, some more spinner depending if they have slow or fast twitch muscles. We're all different on that point, so following workout all the time with a specific cadence all the time, I personally find it useless.

• @Grunge_Cycling
    @Grunge_Cycling Před 3 lety

I can’t believe how much more money you guys are charged for Magene products overseas. Maybe you guys are just used to overpaying lol.

• @CharlesOuimet

Ahah yeah they are super inexpensive in china... Not sure why this big markup.

• @williamdegrasse3140
    @williamdegrasse3140 Před 2 lety +1

Je suis sûr tu es québécois aahahah

• @jjmoto65
    @jjmoto65 Před 3 lety

Maybe you should go back to wheel on trainers just for how noisy they are. I wonder what your neighbors think when they hear you going for a win. Well you do have a cute girlfriend so I guess they think other things are going on Lol.😉

• @CharlesOuimet

AHAHAHAHA wow. Good one.

• @jjmoto65
      @jjmoto65 Před 3 lety

@@CharlesOuimet Haha nice to see you have a sense of humor. In all seriousness I really enjoyed your review and felt it was well done and honest. Keep the great content coming.

• @samom8062
    @samom8062 Před 3 lety +2

"They have no control over what I'm saying" - of course they have, since this IS sponsored content 😉

• @CharlesOuimet

This is not sponsored content, Magene partnered up for a video by providing the product for an indepth review, and I've tested indepth and shown all the plus and negatives to help you guys with the decision to go with this budget or not.

• @samom8062
      @samom8062 Před 3 lety

@@CharlesOuimet my bad...so in terms of a partnership agreement, you'd still have to hold your end 😉

• @CharlesOuimet

@@samom8062 not at all. I could have shit on the product if it was. I'm not obligated to represent in any positive manners, I'm being true as always 😁

• @samom8062
      @samom8062 Před 3 lety

@@CharlesOuimet I appreciate your honesty and content, I just dislike the disclaimers 😉

• @CharlesOuimet

@@samom8062 then how you like have preferred? I'm all ears 😁

• @hk9443
    @hk9443 Před 2 lety

this isnt a smart trainer is it?

• @davidalejandropaniagua586

Crap don't buy

• @CharlesOuimet

i think it's great for a budget trainer! Also easy and light to bring to races for a proper warm up

• @romainm7147
    @romainm7147 Před 3 lety

Patetic comment about girlfriend...

• @CharlesOuimet

What's wrong lol? This is the perfect trainer for her