Fixed Income: Duration and Convexity Summary (FRM T4-42)

SdĂ­let
VloĆŸit
  • čas pƙidĂĄn 24. 07. 2019
  • In this playlist, I've already recorded at least ten videos on duration and convexity which are the two most common measures of single-factor interest rate risk. So, in this video, we wrap it up in one simple explanation that tries to illustrate both duration and convexity and how we apply them with the simplest possible example.
    💡 Discuss this video here in our forum: trtl.bz/2GERoeb.
    📗 You can find Tuckman's Fixed Income Securities book here: amzn.to/2SOMGzv
    👉 Subscribe here czcams.com/users/bionicturtl...
    to be notified of future tutorials on expert finance and data science, including the Financial Risk Manager (FRM), the Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA), and R Programming!
    ❓ If you have questions or want to discuss this video further, please visit our support forum (which has over 50,000 members) located at bionicturtle.com/forum
    🐱 You can also register as a member of our site (for free!) at www.bionicturtle.com/register/
    📧 Our email contact is support@bionicturtle.com (I can also be personally reached at davidh@bionicturtle.com)
    For other videos in our Financial Risk Manager (FRM) series, visit these playlists:
    Texas Instruments BA II+ Calculator
    ‱ Texas Instruments BA I...
    Risk Foundations (FRM Topic 1)
    ‱ Risk Foundations (FRM ...
    Quantitative Analysis (FRM Topic 2)
    ‱ Quantitative Analysis ...
    Financial Markets and Products: Intro to Derivatives (FRM Topic 3, Hull Ch 1-7)
    ‱ Financial Markets and ...
    Financial Markets and Products: Option Trading Strategies (FRM Topic 3, Hull Ch 10-12)
    ‱ Financial Markets and ...
    FM&P: Intro to Derivatives: Exotic options (FRM Topic 3)
    ‱ FM&P: Intro to Derivat...
    Valuation and Risk Models (FRM Topic 4)
    ‱ Valuation and RIsk Mod...
    Coming Soon ....
    Market Risk (FRM Topic 5)
    Credit Risk (FRM Topic 6)
    Operational Risk (FRM Topic 7)
    Investment Risk (FRM Topic 8)
    Current Issues (FRM Topic 9)
    For videos in our Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) series, visit these playlists:
    Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) Level 1 Volume 1
    ‱ Level 1 Chartered Fina...
    #bionicturtle #risk #financialriskmanager #FRM #finance #expertfinance
    Our videos carefully comply with U.S. copyright law which we take seriously. Any third-party images used in this video honor their specific license agreements. We occasionally purchase images with our account under a royalty-free license at 123rf.com (see www.123rf.com/license.php); we also use free and purchased images from our account at canva.com (see about.canva.com/license-agree.... In particular, the new thumbnails are generated in canva.com. Please contact support@bionicturtle.com or davidh@bionicturtle.com if you have any questions, issues or concerns.

Komentáƙe • 18

• @michaelrossouw3469
    @michaelrossouw3469 Pƙed 2 lety +2

6 hours of lectures = 12min of Bionic Turtle video on Duration and convexity

• @bionicturtle
      @bionicturtle  Pƙed 2 lety +4

Thank you! FYI, >10 years of teaching bonds, being WRONG about so many details along the way, answering 100s of questions, some brilliant, receiving insights from customers along the way, Q&A that somehow reveals new layers each year, being corrected by professors who know more than me, customers forcing me back to the texts every year --> all of this work "in the kitchen" for YEARS makes possible a 12 minute explanation :) There is nothing harder for me than being glib.

• @francoiscoetzer9920
    @francoiscoetzer9920 Pƙed 3 lety +1

Great video. Crisp, simple and exactly what I was looking for.

• @yvesprimeau6031
    @yvesprimeau6031 Pƙed 3 lety

Crystal clear ... all the big picture. Well done for all the Fixed income videos. Merci beaucoup

• @SunilVerma-fv3tq
    @SunilVerma-fv3tq Pƙed 4 lety +1

Thanks for this summary video on Duration and Convexity.
    I wish to seek your help on below two queries.
    1.So PVBP or DVO1 is slope of the yield curve and is linear approximation of interest rate risk for Bonds.
    2. For Eurodollar futures the PVBP is a constant number always like I believe its 25 for 3 month Eurodollar futures, however PVBP is dynamic number for Australian Government Bond futures which are quoted as 100- Yield
    Thanks in advance

• @ExcelTutorials1
    @ExcelTutorials1 Pƙed 2 lety

I LOVE YOUR VIDEOS!!!

• @alihobballah
    @alihobballah Pƙed rokem

Brilliant explanation..

• @emadr5780
    @emadr5780 Pƙed rokem

Tnx a lot!

• @intyelcapo
    @intyelcapo Pƙed 2 lety

Hi, Thank you very much !It helped me alot!! Where can I find the excel file ?

• @Nick-yn2uz
    @Nick-yn2uz Pƙed 3 lety

Quick question: If I see that an investment grade corporate bond has a duration of 6, I understand that a 1% move in rates results in -6% in the bond price, but WHAT RATES ARE WE TRACKING? The 10 Yr treasury? 5 year treasury? Thank you!!

• @MONEYSNEAKERS
    @MONEYSNEAKERS Pƙed 3 lety

Thank you

• @jeffwiseman987
    @jeffwiseman987 Pƙed 2 lety +1

David you are an amazing resource for FRM candidates. I have one question on your spreadsheet. For the PV of 102 (year 3) you have $87.95. But I have been trying to get the same answer. However, when I match the discount of 102/1.05^3 I get 88.11 for the year 3 PV of the final cashflow on the bond. All other cashflow PVs match to your outputs. I am not sure how you are getting 87.95... What am I missing?

• @bionicturtle
      @bionicturtle  Pƙed 2 lety +2

Thanks for your kind words! Your is correct with annual compounding, but mine uses semi-annual compounding (consistent with the semi-annual payments) such that $102.00/(1+5.0%/2)^(3*2) = $87.95. As expected, less than yours (or put another way, 87.95 grows to the same 102.00 with s.a. compound frequency, as would 88.11 with annual compound frequency). Due to rounding and smaller amounts, the small difference didn't reveal on the coupons. Hope that's helpful,

• @DeepikaNekhelesh1709
    @DeepikaNekhelesh1709 Pƙed 2 lety

Modified duration * - 1 should be - 2.785%. Why have you ignored the sign? Can you please explain

• @bionicturtle
      @bionicturtle  Pƙed 2 lety +1

I didn't ignore the negative, see 8:14 where D = -H19*L13 = -D_mod * ΔYield; that "D" just refers to the duration adjustment. A negative yield shock (-1.0% is shown) should imply a positive duration adjustment (+2.785%). The dollar duration (DD) = -∂P/∂y and modified duration = =1/P*∂P/∂y where the slope of the tangent line, ∂P/∂y, is itself negative. Thanks,

• @DeepikaNekhelesh1709
      @DeepikaNekhelesh1709 Pƙed 2 lety

@@bionicturtle thank you for the clarification

• @EduardoSanchez-lv8mt
    @EduardoSanchez-lv8mt Pƙed 2 lety

you have the terms wrong, it should be 1,2,3,4,5,6 not 0.5,1,1.5... because when you divide the 4% coupon by two you now have a periodic rate

• @bionicturtle
      @bionicturtle  Pƙed 2 lety +2

I don't think so. The PV cash flows are given by FV*(1+4.0%/2)^-(t*2) so the exponents in discounting are {1, .., 6}. And the duration is weighted average maturity in years so we'd use the terms in years for that. So i don't see the problem