1960 Matsushita AM FM Transistor Radio Repair T30

Sdílet
Vložit
  • čas přidán 27. 08. 2024
  • vintage transistor radio diagnosis and repair

Komentáře • 294

• @ticn
    @ticn Před 4 lety +13

I usually get bored of some youtube channels after a while. Here I am, 3 years later, barely missed any new videos. thanks for the information and the entertainment, shango

• @rock.doctor
    @rock.doctor Před 4 lety +7

Tate you are a rock star. Thanks for sending in the radio. I was fun to watch it worked on!!!

• @actofcawd209
    @actofcawd209 Před 3 lety +6

Dude you're a pro at fixing stuff, keep up the great work!

• @Lockemeister
    @Lockemeister Před 4 lety +2

Shango066's videos are what CZcams should be all about. Awesome job!

• @WilmingtonOHProductions
    @WilmingtonOHProductions Před 4 lety +9

I'm a big friend of Tate Thomas and his channel went from 25 subs to 60 subs so thank you and I just subbed and turned notifications on

• @5roundsrapid263
      @5roundsrapid263 Před 4 lety +2

It’s so nice of Shango to take the time to read his letter. We need the younger generation to keep the restoration hobby alive.

• @WilmingtonOHProductions
      @WilmingtonOHProductions Před 4 lety

@@5roundsrapid263 agreed

• @AMStationEngineer
    @AMStationEngineer Před 4 lety +7

@Tate Thomas, many thanks for sending this very interesting radio to shango066, which, in turn, allowed him to share this gem with the antique radio enthusiast/electronics repair and restoration community. What makes this radio interesting, is that it seems to be an early stage in what became the "Japanese Solid State Multiband Radio" crusade of the 1960's, thru mid-1980's. Very few ever came into the shop, because they were built so durably.

• @isoguy.
    @isoguy. Před 4 lety +4

Cool vid, just amazed how quickly yo find the problem(s).
    Thank you for sharing your skills and using your time to make these vids.

• @vancouverman4313
    @vancouverman4313 Před 4 lety +19

A non polarized capacitor can be made by connecting two electrolytics in series. The positive wires or negative wires are simply connected together and the other two are connected as the non-polarized ends. If they are the same values, capacitors in series half. For instance, if the total value desired is 10 uF, you would wire two 20 uF capacitors together in series, with the same polarity tied together.

• @slagish
      @slagish Před 4 lety

I was wondering if this would be the case.

• @SpeakerFreak95
    @SpeakerFreak95 Před 4 lety +4

Wow! Belle WV....what a small world. That’s just about ten minutes from where I lived most of my early life. Quite a depressing place nowadays.

• @tiporari
    @tiporari Před 4 lety +1

Great vid Mr. Shango. Thanks for taking the time to entertain strangers.

• @jsciarri
    @jsciarri Před 4 lety +15

That radio could have very easily fit inside a USPS Priority Mail medium sized flat rate box with the proper packing material, and be shipped for $15.05 flat rate no matter how much it weighs. I'm surprised the post office didn't let the sender know this. That price still seems way too high for something that size and weight to be shipped across the US.

• @boggy7665
      @boggy7665 Před 4 lety +1

Slightly smaller box would've cost a lot less.

• @dkd1228
    @dkd1228 Před 4 lety +20

Tuning cap mounting grommets have deteriorated to the point where the unit has shifted with respect to its mounting frame. This is causing the tuning control pinion to not mesh properly.

• @rdg2124
    @rdg2124 Před 4 lety

What a great video and a nice gift from a young viewer. It's great to watch you tune the dial back and forth to see what comes in and the quality of the signals you get. Keep up the great work, it's a pleasure to watch you actually troubleshoot something instead of just being a parts-changer.

• @billymania11
    @billymania11 Před 4 lety +14

You got to admire Shango, no need to make small talk upon exit.

• @garygrant.5311
    @garygrant.5311 Před 8 měsíci

Thanks for no ads

• @mlpreinbowfluttersrycutebo6818

Awesome video awesome chanel like i love very much vintange radio and black and white tvs

• @mymessylab
    @mymessylab Před 4 lety +1

We are here to enjoy vintage gears, all the rest is just out of the theme. ❤️

• @manliogianquinto5911
    @manliogianquinto5911 Před 4 lety

Lei è proprio bravo bravo e preciso goodgood Grazie Manlio

• @vegetablepolice1
    @vegetablepolice1 Před 5 dny

bridging a new one wile it's on seems to help you know if that more worn out components are worn out or not ❤❤❤

• @robertwhite9898
    @robertwhite9898 Před rokem

Can’t wait to see that radio play 😊.

• @TheDigitalAura
    @TheDigitalAura Před 4 lety +34

That shipping charge is criminal.

• @Oldbmwr100rs
      @Oldbmwr100rs Před 4 lety

I spent $33 to ship a nice nearly new cassette deck I got for free to someone who needed it. The shipping cost was a little high, but it was for a good cause, someone is using something that would have been thrown away, they had a huge collection of old cassettes from when they were younger and hanging out with bands, this deck really made them happy. Shipping costs suck, especially when you're so used to buying stuff online and getting cheap to free shipping.

• @iceberg789
      @iceberg789 Před 4 lety +2

the shipping guys are risking their life by going out to deliver it. so, the price is justified, although they are probably not getting paid the extra money though.

• @rock.doctor
      @rock.doctor Před 4 lety

if you have paypal you can get reduced shipping costs. Packages only no first class letters.

• @tarstarkusz
      @tarstarkusz Před 4 lety +3

@@iceberg789 The prices are not up because of covid. The prices started going up after 9/11 with increasing oil prices. But they are a one way ratchet. Oil prices are like a 1/3 of their all time 2008 high. But when oil prices came back down, the consumer was habituated to the now insane costs and they didn't lower their prices as the price of oil has come down.

• @orange70383
      @orange70383 Před 4 lety +3

@@iceberg789 Risking their life? are they delivering behind enemy lines, are delivery drivers being taken out for sport, I guess the news isn't reporting the deadly attacks.

• @craignehring
    @craignehring Před 4 lety

What a cool repair, thanks to the donor of the radio and to you Master shango066 for again another superb video

• @stridermt2k
    @stridermt2k Před 3 lety +1

I am working of your videos one by one....I have time these days.
    I have come to count your sense of humor and insight...and all those transistors and caps dang!
    You are like the Radagast of radios and TVs except bird guano it's that Marlboro radio stuck on your coat...
    "Could you just watch this all day" Well...
    Thank you

• @VectraQS
    @VectraQS Před 4 lety +1

A couple years back, I found a dusty, crusty Panasonic RX-1460 (circa 1981) at a recycling center for $5. I thought I lost the cracked rewind gear in the tape mechanism, so I ordered another one off eBay to get the gear to make a 3D printed copy. I paid more than double for the shipping than for the radio itself. Turns out I still had the gear, but hey, now I have two. The second one was a basketcase when I got it. FM antenna broken off, AM antenna broken and rattling around inside, belt off the tape mechanism, cracked rewind gear. A month ago I _finally_ sorted out the very last problem -- bad solder joints on the audio output transformer that caused the tape player to occasionally "honk" very loudly. I highly recommend vintage Panasonic equipment. Very easy to service, easy to get service manuals. For some models, you can even still get parts through Encompass!

• @Diesel-gfym
    @Diesel-gfym Před 4 lety

Shango066 I watched a lot of your videos and I have to say you are an absolute genius when it comes to tv and radios you know your stuff man keep up the good work👍

• @billharris6886
    @billharris6886 Před 4 lety +5

I have never seen a portable FM transistor radio from 1960 before, this had to be rare. This radio must have cost a small fortune in it's day, the high frequency transistors in the FM front end probably selling for >$20 each.

• @monkeyboy4746
    @monkeyboy4746 Před 4 lety +11

I bet this thing was not cheap in 1960.

• @williamsquires3070
    @williamsquires3070 Před 4 lety +12

A spring came out; it would have gone between the two “hooks” in each gear half to reduce backlash.

• @dbrown51967
      @dbrown51967 Před 4 lety +4

those springs are a nightmare as an example, grundig transistor radio's that i have come across have had the backlash spring and it's a royal pain trying to refit one.

• @dirkdiggler1242
    @dirkdiggler1242 Před 4 lety

Here is some dopamine love ......
    Your exploration and restoration vids are incredible and interesting as a trainwreck......

• @glennidalski6833
    @glennidalski6833 Před 3 lety

Very educational shango66 thank you for these videos

• @racrav
    @racrav Před 4 lety +8

White Town - Your Woman. I was not expecting to hear that.

• @LakeNipissing
      @LakeNipissing Před 4 lety +3

Surprised that band hasn't been "cancelled".

• @spankysmp
    @spankysmp Před 4 lety +2

Sounds good and that's even before the re-cap

• @kennethbarker852
    @kennethbarker852 Před 2 lety

great video to watch thanks.

• @TheBananaPlug
    @TheBananaPlug Před 4 lety +1

USPS changed postal rates at the start of 2020 and now its not just based on weight any more, its a combination of weight and box size plus how far its going to travel. It means that now a large empty box sent from the Mid West to say Oregon can cost a small fortune to send. It makes using USPS a real pain for those of us that do a lot of shipping.

• @glennidalski6833
    @glennidalski6833 Před 3 lety

I worked on a am transistor radio in1978 puting in a new capacitor it was fun I have worked on electronics many times since love it

• @stevehead365
    @stevehead365 Před 4 lety +1

I like the radio. The European transistors in the chunky TO7 cans often suffer from internal shorts due to tin whiskers, sometimes the whiskers can be blasted away successfully with a charged capacitor, sometimes not. Maybe the Japanese transistors also suffer from this problem. I tried to destroy the tin whiskers by putting the transistors in the freezer for 6 months, it didn't work. Percussive maintenance may lead to a temporary solution, I now just replace them with Ruskies, even if they look a bit odd to my eyes. Thanks for the video, may there be many more.

• @olegkostoglotov8800
      @olegkostoglotov8800 Před 4 lety

Completely different construction from the AF117 transistor, the problem with the bad transistor wasn't tin whisker shorts anyhow, it was open circuit.

• @n2n8sda
    @n2n8sda Před 4 lety +8

Coincidence , I bought the same model radio today on ebay!!

• @BlueSkyScholar
    @BlueSkyScholar Před 4 lety +2

The fidelity of the airplanes is awesome, unless you say something I think it's flying over my place since I'm also in line with the airport runway.

• @7c3c72602f7054696b
    @7c3c72602f7054696b Před 4 lety +4

Talk about weird coincidences, I just thought "I bet Shango has a new video" whilst ordering food and BAM! JUST LIKE THAT! Good way to start my day before I embark on a monster power supply I'm making. Maybe I will make a video...

• @skuula
    @skuula Před 4 lety +20

Corona masks are great as bad-breath detectors.

• @markiangooley
      @markiangooley Před 4 lety +1

Yes, indeed! I have learned what foods make my breath worse and what don’t...

• @rustyrebar9647
    @rustyrebar9647 Před 4 lety

Thanks a lot ! You too, Tate Thomas ! Greetings from South America!

• @mikeschumacher
    @mikeschumacher Před 4 lety +2

@1:12 Dimensional weight. Above the actual weight lists the size of the box and “DIM. Weight” above that (11 lbs). It’s so that shippers can recover the cost of shipping if you send a light but spacious box. Most shippers now do this.
    USPS can’t raise letter rates above the rate of inflation without a huge governmental inquiry, so they try to make it up with raising parcel prices as they’ve frequently increase 5-8% each year. Also, ship Priority flat rate if your items can fit in there vs. a custom box as the flat-rates allow up to 50 lbs or something like that for one price.

• @user-cx9qv9jm4i
    @user-cx9qv9jm4i Před 2 lety

Меня Советская Армия Заставила полюбить Радио!

• @boggy7665
    @boggy7665 Před 4 lety +2

'Matsushita' in Japanese means something akin to 'National'. They also made bicycles for Schwinn in the 70s and later for the US market as Panasonic. "Excellent quality at each price point", a reviewer said of the bicycles. My recollection of their radios gets the same sentiment.

• @tiporari
      @tiporari Před 4 lety

They still make excellent parts for OEM's. Always been a quality brand.

• @andygozzo72
      @andygozzo72 Před 4 lety +1

@@tiporari 'Matsushita' was the surname of the company's founder. and yes , their stuff is generally very good, with a few exceptions..they had troubles with some of their electrolytics in some late 80s tvs

• @andygozzo72

'national' was one of their other brands, not used in the usa as there was already a 'national' company,, they also used branding with both as 'national panasonic'

• @boggy7665
      @boggy7665 Před 4 lety +1

@@andygozzo72 haha, thanks for that. Kōnosuke Matsushita. I read it somewhere that it meant 'National'; obviously wrong unless there are people in Japan with the last name equivalent to 'National'

• @user-cx9qv9jm4i
    @user-cx9qv9jm4i Před 2 lety

Хорошая работа и Радио Класс

• @Sam_Eassa
    @Sam_Eassa Před 4 lety +2

You can make a NP cap by connecting two equal caps back to back. Use polarized caps of double the required capacity. No need to buy NP caps.

• @aerotro
    @aerotro Před 4 lety +7

shango066 You Can Connect 2 capacitor's back to back in series both Gnd's tied together double each caps value to make a none polarised capacitor, I often do it for testing. Usually works fine but esr wont be that good of coarse.

• @Raul_Gajadhar
      @Raul_Gajadhar Před 4 lety

Hey, I asked a similar question, but not series back to back, anti-parallel.

• @blitzroehre1807
      @blitzroehre1807 Před 4 lety

@@Raul_Gajadhar Ortorea is right, series back to back it is 100% sure

• @Dazzwidd
      @Dazzwidd Před 4 lety

That would work completely fine and for something like this the increased ESR wouldn't matter at all

• @Raul_Gajadhar

@@Dazzwidd In some cases I found that to be true, I guess = bad circuit specs?

• @Dazzwidd
      @Dazzwidd Před 4 lety

@@Raul_Gajadhar I've seen older manufactured goods even use the back to back polarised electrolytic capacitor approach a few times.
      It's got to be a fairly critical application for the ESR to matter, and if the capacitors you're doing it with are high quality components then it's definitely not going to matter as they will have an exceptional ESR to begin with

• @robertwhite6203
    @robertwhite6203 Před 4 lety

That’s a very cool radio ! Well built !

• @Raul_Gajadhar

Ya... I know right? I said the same thing.

• @MVVblog
    @MVVblog Před 4 lety +1

You deserve some good earnings! Why not?

• @akimbajunaid907
    @akimbajunaid907 Před 4 lety

That a good repair FM+AM band.

• @call5sam
    @call5sam Před 4 lety

You are correct. The backlash is non functional because the spring is missing.

• @abc-ni9uw
    @abc-ni9uw Před 4 lety +1

Great handwriting

• @38911bytefree
    @38911bytefree Před 3 lety +3

The dealwas Matsushitas brands was NATIONAL, but this was a trademark un the US already (chash registers and other thing I cant recall). The created PANASONIC just for the US Market. So this set is prior this point. The couldnt use NATIONAL which would have been more apropiate. Then they created Technics and Panasonic's bother Quasar. The logo lately would be the UPPER N, even for early Technics. They really develop tons of products in a very short spam of time, the killed it in the 70s. I love their tape recorders, not much about radios. They even hold the patent of the boombox at the US patent office (LOL) that was submited with the RS-466 Stereo boombox. Good Panasonic, affordable gear, low maintenace, good performance.

• @randymoyer5351
    @randymoyer5351 Před 4 lety +2

I say Thr Longer the Better it gets, I could even watch A 2 hr Video if you made one that long, As you do alot of good Work Getting these things going, i watch alot of different People and You're videos , i watch 12 Volt vids every day he is on, and David tipton and theres Radio Rescue And Radio TV Phono Nut, He is the first i started watching and You'res was right after then i found More Interesting electronics videos, Why heck it helps one learn more about how stuff works and easier ways to fix things, So Keep them A Comming. You need to get out More than once a week,I always look forward to Seeing whats new or next, even the Strangest things even , As i bet theres Lots Of cool stuff out there now yet.

• @sheldonlatimer6688
    @sheldonlatimer6688 Před 4 lety

Great job fixing that radio 👍

• @tatethomas808
    @tatethomas808 Před 4 lety +8

I wonder where that radio came from!

• @MrUbiquitousTech
      @MrUbiquitousTech Před 4 lety +1

Japan?

• @Raul_Gajadhar

@@MrUbiquitousTech Nah dude, I feel it's NASA, just look at that thing, and the audio quality even with the bad FM rf transistor and caps.

• @FlatBroke612
      @FlatBroke612 Před 4 lety +1

Holy crap a Matshita radio just flew over my house!

• @Hunter-xy6qq
    @Hunter-xy6qq Před 4 lety

Shango066, make sure to socially distance all radios.
    Another great video. Take care 👍

• @garymckee8857
    @garymckee8857 Před 4 lety +6

I have a friend who watches the news constantly and he believes that everyone is going to die from the virus and I believe that your use of those masks is the correct use.

• @rfburns5601
    @rfburns5601 Před 4 lety +3

I have seen some radios dead as a hammer from dried out electrolytics. And I've seen some that age that had good caps, transistors, etc, and were dead from a bad solder connection, or cracked board. Its a mixed bag, mainly dependent on the quality of the electrolytics used. I have my grandads 1964 Sony TR1814 - all original parts - still plays well - audio lacks a little bass - some electrolytics a little weak. My grandmothers 1962 Channel Master - dead as a hammer - changed all electrolytics. A 1963 Westinghouse bought at fleamarket - plays well - speaker drags a little - all original - was dead as a hammer from cracked solder joint. 1962 Arvin fleamarket find - repaired broken antenna wires, and removed shards of antenna wire from tuning cap - plays fine now - all original parts. All of my Zeniths, dead as a hammer - replaced bad "Nashville" caps. A 1964 NEC Galaxie AM/FM - replaced battery holder - plays OK - all original parts. My collection mostly had all bad caps or no bad caps.

• @johnnytacokleinschmidt515

Impressive looking speaker.

• @gerardcarriera7052
    @gerardcarriera7052 Před 4 lety

Interesting video. I agree based on my experience about bad caps not shutting it down completely. I thought this was a post '63 due to lack of CD markings but I see they are there. They must have been red as they faded badly.

• @hassanrasool3977
    @hassanrasool3977 Před 4 měsíci

شكرا جزيلا❤🎉🎉

• @crooner2007
    @crooner2007 Před 4 lety +2

Interesting they didn't use the National and/or Panasonic branding on this. Great set and video!

• @Musicradio77Network
      @Musicradio77Network Před 4 lety +1

Or perhaps Concord, the one that made the reel-to-reel tape recorders including the classic 220. Concord licensed them from Matsushita from Japan during the 1960’s.

• @olegkostoglotov8800

They couldn't use the name "National" because there already was a "National Company" that made communications radios in Malden, Massachusetts at the time.

• @saarike
    @saarike Před 3 lety

Great repair and interesting vid! My humble thanks shango066.

• @RuneTheFirst
    @RuneTheFirst Před 4 lety

2 recurring issues with these oldies. 1. The plastic electrolytics. Sanyo was the worst but others used them in those days. Sanyo made and stayed with them the longest. What went wrong was the lack of knowledge regarding plastic in thin sections. Plastic is porous in thin sections (actually it is porous in all thicknesses but it matters less in thick sections). This allows the liquid in capacitors to pass out and dry the cap out rather quickly.
    2. Grommets. Where a metal chassis or bracket was used to hold or shield a tuning cap it was usually isolated with rubber grommets to keep it from grounding out. These are under tension from dial cord or other forces. They either split or otherwise fail as things age and there goes the isolation. You then get strange noise or modulation. New grommets will fix that BUT where do you get teeny ones today?
    Capacitors killing everything: It DOES happen. Over the decades I have run into it. Some caps will short out instead of going open. The worst are the ones that bypass various voltage sources. I have seen them short out the battery itself or just keep voltage from getting to where it is needed by shorting it to ground. Never say never.

• @jake2213b
    @jake2213b Před 4 lety +6

I quit selling on Ebay because of the shipping prices. The only way to get a cheaper rate I would need to take pictures then package the item. Get it weight so that I could s Ebay for a cheaper rate. Stop the spread and save a live by wearing the Dam Mask.

• @tgheretford
      @tgheretford Před 4 lety +3

"Wear your muzzle". "Do not question". "Obey your betters". "Compulsion is liberty". "Outcast any heretics".

• @johnnytacokleinschmidt515
      @johnnytacokleinschmidt515 Před 4 lety +1

I'm with you as much as I wouldn't wish to cause harm to someone else.
      This shut-down is causing great harm to many. Great financial harm. Social and psychological harm. Educational harm.
      Where are the steps and advocacy for the many things that people can do with diet and supplementation to protect themselves? Where are the treatments that are inexpensive and highly effective that could render quick recovery and shut downs unnecessary?
      Where is the solid scientific information and census to help people make decisions that are right for themselves?
      How do we reclaim our Constitutional freedoms after this is over? Will the powers that be ever allow it to be over?
      I'd better get some more masks and comply. God Bless

• @boggy7665
      @boggy7665 Před 4 lety +4

@@tgheretford Because freedom. Shit on your neighbor's lawn, drive 80 mph down a residential street, blast air horns and fireworks at midnight year round, give everyone you come in contact with the deadly or debilitating virus. Because, 'murica.

• @hestheMaster
    @hestheMaster Před 4 lety +2

The shipping charges are killing me. I think now that thrift stores are opened and people are donating stuff( like crazy) that doesn't work or whatever it could be
    an excellent adventure to go hunting. Still miss flea markets but those may be coming back here in IL at least.

• @jrocco36
    @jrocco36 Před 4 lety +1

I used to do shipping, The rates are mostly based on dimensional weight not so much on real weight. The 16x14x8 that comes out to 1792 cubic inches. if it had been under the 16x14 it would have been much cheaper to ship.

• @jrs0007
    @jrs0007 Před 4 lety

In a pinch, two electrolytic caps placed back to back can sub for a non polarized one. If the value is critical, double the capacitance of each cap since they're wired in series.

• @teacfan1080
    @teacfan1080 Před 4 lety +5

Maybe you can start a sub channel titled "Shango066 does band scanning all day". Make a 4 hour video of slowly tuning the radio across both bands and back again, repeat.

• @jefferyb304
    @jefferyb304 Před 4 lety

I live around an hour from Belle. It isn't too far from where speakerfreak95 grew up.

• @SUPERBIGMANThe
    @SUPERBIGMANThe Před 4 lety +2

The shipping charge was so high because he shipped it first class and at $0.55 per oz = $45.21.

• @bobbyk6585
    @bobbyk6585 Před 2 lety

Shango does it again.

• @simonparkinson1053
    @simonparkinson1053 Před 4 lety

That's a lot of engineering for a little portable!
    I bet it's a great performer when aligned,

• @DjResR
    @DjResR Před 3 lety

3:28 - there should be a spring between these two gears that prevents the user from overturning the tuner capacitor. I think the tightness of the rope also held the tuning knob gear against the other gear._

• @DavenHiskey
    @DavenHiskey Před 4 lety

Wow the first Greenday song to get through from their first album

• @andygozzo72

thats a nice one! matsushita/panasonic stuff is generally very good quality. i bet that dud transistor has tin whiskers in it, i looks like a japanese version of the infamous AF1xx/Oc1xx types that suffer from it the most..

• @andygozzo72
      @andygozzo72 Před 4 lety

i googled 2sa70, yep, OC170 is listed as a 'sensible equivalent', AF116 the later version

• @orange70383
    @orange70383 Před 4 lety

Those extremely inexpensive Chinese digital tests everything's are really quite handy and surprisingly pretty darn accurate.

• @chetpomeroy1399
    @chetpomeroy1399 Před 4 lety +1

I didn't notice a 10.7 MHz crystal for the FM IF circuit. From my perspective, it seems interesting to me that Shango put a Russian transistor in a radio that rolled off the assembly line during the depths of the Cold War, just two years before the Cuban Missile Crisis. This receiver even has the little CONELRAD triangles on the AM dial, to be tuned to in case the Reds attack.

• @chetpomeroy1399
      @chetpomeroy1399 Před 4 lety

@John Jalas Well, I can't honestly disagree with you. But back then, we were *very close* to being nuked by the Soviets. A lot of people had some sleepless nights back then.

• @andygozzo72

you mean a ceramic IF filter? most old sets like this didnt use them, this one looks like it has double tuned IF transformers, that would give good selectivity nearly as good as one if adjusted correctly

• @chetpomeroy1399

@@xavierrajda933 It has been said that hindsight is always 20/20. From today's perspective, we now know that *neither* side wanted to start World War III, but we didn't really know this in the depths of the Cold War paranoia.

• @chetpomeroy1399

@@andygozzo72 I guess early FM receivers didn't have those ceramic IF filters. Sure didn't see them on the old tube AM-FM radios I've had in the past.

• @andygozzo72

@@chetpomeroy1399 i've never .. yet.. come across a valve set using them, only seen them in 'some' recent ish sets, say from mid 70s to 80s, and more so 'modern' sets ... maybe werent invented till recently? some communications receivers had them , or 'crystal' filters much earlier,

• @nileterps8051
    @nileterps8051 Před 4 lety

The voice of the people.

• @olegkostoglotov8800

Mr. Thomas seems to have an interest in fluoro lights.

• @Radiowild
    @Radiowild Před 4 lety

At 28:43 you got a double dose of Rush & 5 O' clock Charlie! Gotta love living in Cali! lol

• @nicholas790
    @nicholas790 Před 4 lety

I love watching him solve the radio issues on these but there something unsettling when he doesn't complete the repairs.

• @shango066
      @shango066  Před 4 lety +7

The world does not need another video changing electrolytic capacitors. That has been done off camera as it should be.

• @matthewbestdfghy
    @matthewbestdfghy Před 4 lety +1

Shipping rates have gone up due to passenger planes not flying much at all. Passenger planes ship cargo in there bellies to make extra money. So now the cargo carriers are working overtime to meet the demand.

• @ObsessionoftheMonth
    @ObsessionoftheMonth Před 4 lety

I have the t-33 version of that radio. had to recap the whole thing and there was no output till I accidentally shorted one of the transistors on the output side and it suddenly woke up. I wonder if these transistors get some for of whiskers.

• @brianbloom1799
    @brianbloom1799 Před 3 lety +1

How does that tool picked up the stations

• @MrHeem94
    @MrHeem94 Před 4 lety

MY fav part was when you did some station tunin'

• @Mr_Meowingtons
    @Mr_Meowingtons Před 4 lety

you can put 2 caps 2x the value back to back and it will work as a none polarized

• @mohinderkaur6671
    @mohinderkaur6671 Před 4 lety

Those russian Germaniums are so cool! spring went boing!

• @KAFKUBA
    @KAFKUBA Před 4 lety

I love you shango

• @brianfletcher9774
    @brianfletcher9774 Před 4 lety

Shango, could you do another video doing the recapping and the alignment of this radio ? Ultimately showing it’s performance afterward ?
    Thanks !

• @ekj24uk
    @ekj24uk Před 4 lety

16:09 Welcome to Shango066, well it's paradise for old electronics at least

• @hamandcheese25
    @hamandcheese25 Před 4 lety

@24:40 “I don’t need a dial indicator”. There’s tons of old radios out there without dial indicators. You really don’t need it once you find and ID a station

• @kareno8634
    @kareno8634 Před 4 lety +1

Nice idea - send to Shango; He'll fix it, then i'll know the next time. Bonus - so will others. =]
    There's a definite issue with Post Office business practices with those prices!
    Hearing more Plane traffic - Many leaving California?

• @QuadMochaMatti
      @QuadMochaMatti Před 4 lety +2

There's more air traffic up here in Washington State now, too. Wish it was all of these recent tech bro arrivals turning tail and heading back to where they came from.

• @Raul_Gajadhar

WOW! That radio is from 1960? To me it seems modern and well built. Shango for a non-polar cap, can't two polarized ones be placed anti-parallel? I mean it is a low voltage audio signal. Feel free to shoot me down if that is not a proper substitute for particular application. I really like that radio btw. It should get a proper functional restore.

• @muzhikforchaplin1203
    @muzhikforchaplin1203 Před 4 lety

I have a Philco 50-702 television and I am unable to find the schematics for it, do you know where I could find it?

• @transcanada9028
    @transcanada9028 Před 3 lety

If you don't have a non polarized cap can't you use two polarized caps back to back?

• @bscgvrvr
    @bscgvrvr Před 4 lety

What's the instrument you are using for detecting the frequency

• @christophernetherton9389

Hi Shango. Zou can make a bißpolar in a pinch bz potting 2 electrolutics back to back.

• @jdmccorful
    @jdmccorful Před 4 lety

The "Wuhan dance" Transistor Man gives new life to this poor troubled radio! Success, Suucess! Our hero. Along with some good bits of repair knowledge. Always enjoyable!