Carbureted Motorcycle Not Running or Starting? Watch This Video Now! (2003 Honda Shadow VT600)

Sdílet
Vložit
  • čas přidán 29. 08. 2024
  • In this video I show you how to remove and clean the carburetor on a 2003 Honda Shadow 600. With modern fuel containing ethanol it's important to properly maintain and store your motorcycle so you don't experience similar problems to what I find in this video. Let me know what you think down in the comments!
    NOTE - I am NOT a professional motorcycle builder or fabricator. This is done as a hobby only. All advice should be taken lightly and professional opinion/work should be performed if you decide to tackle a similar project. I am an amateur at best!
    Don't forget to like the video if you found it helpful and consider subscribing for more helpful content! Did you find it SUPER HELPFUL? Consider clicking the "Thanks" button under the video and buy me a coffee! - I am not sponsored by or affiliated with anything described in this video. This is my honest and unbiased review and opinion.
    Want to send me something? Right on!
    SMU Designs
    PO Box 955
    Goose Creek, SC 29445
    *Follow Me On Instagram*
    @the_brianrogers or / the_brianro. .
    ---
    ---
    ---
    *Business Inquiries: brian.signmeupdesigns@gmail.com*
    ---
    ---
    ---
    *Check out my website and eBay store!*
    www.signmeupde...

Komentáře • 35

• @christophercummins4946
    @christophercummins4946 Před rokem +1

The best kind of gas to run in a motorcycle is shell mid grade it's a top-tier gasoline there's no ethanol in it you can use it and leave it in the tank for 10 years and it'll be fine I fill my tanks up during the winter time so there's no room for moisture to get into the tank and they crank right up when the Sun starts Shining

• @SignMeUpDesigns
      @SignMeUpDesigns  Před rokem +1

I actually had no idea but you are definitely correct! A quick google search confirms Shell and Esso 91 octane are both ethanol free. Thanks for the advice and I’ll pin this comment. 🤙🏻

• @robertpicanso2130
    @robertpicanso2130 Před 3 měsíci

Good job thanks for the video I have a old 1984 v30 magna I am working on so I enjoyed watching you show how to make the bike start right up no choke on a older bike well done bro

• @Weezulguy
    @Weezulguy Před 3 měsíci +1

Thanks for the info, getting ready to help rebuild a buddy's 07 Spirit. Lol he's taller than me, haven't seen him riding on it yet, but def a small bike for tall drinks of water ;-p

• @user-qw7kh4ll3d
    @user-qw7kh4ll3d Před 3 měsíci

Dealing with the exact same issue with my 2005 600cc Shadow .. I appreciate your informative video and advice 👍

• @colbert6122
    @colbert6122 Před měsícem

I have an '88 VT800 which i bought at the beginning of this month, and it was running well last week. I might have kept the turn signa on over a few days, and today the idle was super low to the point of stalling, even with choke on. I threw it back on a tender & out in some carb cleaner fluid, so hopefully that solves the issue bcuz its a beautiful bike

• @SignMeUpDesigns
      @SignMeUpDesigns  Před měsícem

Dead or drained batteries could absolutely cause a bike to do this. Charge it fully or replace it with a quality battery if you continue to have problems. Good luck!

• @PainterD54
    @PainterD54 Před 4 měsíci

If you like to work on carburetors this is the video to watch. I used to use old guitar strings to clean out the passages in my carbs, but not any more. But I have NEVER had to address any carb problems for the past 30 years. I found if you use Seafoam in your gas every so often, you don't have these problems that this guy is working on. Seafoam also cleans the small passages and needle jet valves so you don't get all plugged up. My motorcycles, lawn mowers, chainsaws and any small engines run like new and I use regular pump gas in all of them, but I store all of them with Seafoam treated gas in them.

• @joc8246
    @joc8246 Před měsícem

cool video, by the way Harley carburetors were made in Japan like mikuni keihin....

• @SignMeUpDesigns
      @SignMeUpDesigns  Před měsícem +1

Thanks! And very good point. A lot of the old school guys around me swear by the S&S shorty carb for Harleys, mostly because they weren’t made in Japan. 😂

• @choppergirl
    @choppergirl Před 3 měsíci

Its that non-removable idle jet I can't get clean.
    I have one more last idea to try, take the whole thing out yet again, take all the rubber parts out, and soak the whole carb for a week in B12 solvent.

• @SignMeUpDesigns
      @SignMeUpDesigns  Před 3 měsíci

Sometimes it happens. Another option is ultrasonic cleaning. A little more aggressive than a regular solvent soak. Usually cleans out the most stubborn of clogs. Good luck!

• @christophercummins4946

Actually the first jet he took out with the emulsion tube is the main jet the other little jet inside of the carburetor is the pilot jet that's your idle Jet otherwise he's doing a great job

• @SignMeUpDesigns
      @SignMeUpDesigns  Před rokem

In conventional carburetors for cars this is correct. The main jet has an emulsion tube. For most small engines and motorcycles the tube is included in the pilot (idle) jet. It’s backwards from what old school mechanics were taught. Thanks for watching and for the nice words.

• @Aamon-Synxt
    @Aamon-Synxt Před 5 měsíci

Hi man hello from Thailand!
    I just got the vt600 with stock dual carb the ex owner told me to use the gasohol with 95 octane (with 10% ethanol) which was the gas I fed to my beloved bike and as I dig deep in the the manual I found out that it's best to use an un leaded gasoline with 91 octane or above.
    So I am wondering what should I do if I want to switch to gasoline with 91 octane while I still have the 95 gasohol in my tank.
    And are there any benefits to use gasohol over gasoline or gasoline over gasohol in term of performances and the health of the engine or carb.

• @SignMeUpDesigns
      @SignMeUpDesigns  Před 5 měsíci +1

If you want to switch you can simply mix in the 91 with the 95. It won’t hurt anything. After a few tank fills you should be 100% 91 octane. The vt600 is a lower compression bike so you probably won’t feel any performance difference switching to 91. Your engine may actually run cooler. The higher the octane the hotter it burns, simply speaking, so your engine may thank you for making the switch. Thanks for watching!

• @Aamon-Synxt
      @Aamon-Synxt Před 5 měsíci

@@SignMeUpDesigns Thank you! You got my subscription!
      Sadly where I live I can only access the Benzine 95 (aka un leaded gasoline 95 octane with no ethanol mixture) which at least could help me prolong the rubber components from the corrosive effect from the ethanol mixture if I remember it right.
      And after days of getting to know my beloved bike I started to notice something strange while I cruise with low rpm, my bike would get some hesitation and some delayed throttle respond (also I could feel that it loses some power too) while it runs mostly perfect on higher rpm (like it runs well on 40 mph or higher but anything below 40 mph always cause my bike to feels like it get some hiccup or stutter) which really gets me worry.
      Some said it may be too lean too rich problem but to a newbie biker like me this is very difficult to explain the conditions and problems.

• @K-G-S_66
    @K-G-S_66 Před 8 měsíci

Would you recommend me buying a used Honda shadow
    Obviously I don't wanna buy a brand new bike and drop it while learning to ride
    Also a second hand bike possibly
    Will have problems
    So yeah I'm confused
    Just doing my research till I can afford one

• @SignMeUpDesigns
      @SignMeUpDesigns  Před 8 měsíci +1

I would definitely recommend a used shadow for your first bike. I actually recommend any 600cc or bigger Japanese bike as a beginner bike. They’re cheap, reliable and an excellent option before stepping up to HD or a newer metric cruiser. Do yourself a favor and spend a few bucks extra for a fuel injected bike if you can afford to. $4-5000 would get you a nice one, $3000 will get you a decent one. 🤙🏻

• @K-G-S_66
      @K-G-S_66 Před 8 měsíci

@@SignMeUpDesigns that's some golden information friend
      I really appreciate it
      Thank you
      Keep up the good content🤜🤛

• @michaelbarron4541
      @michaelbarron4541 Před 5 měsíci

Great video to the point, no bs . I'm a mechanic and do this all the time. First bike was 66 honda 305 hawk had many bikes over the years, and my favorite was vulcan 2000 what a hoot.

• @colbert6122
      @colbert6122 Před měsícem

Adding on to the suggestion, you should get a pre-90s Shadow. Dirt cheap prices, dirt cheap insurance, but built super well & comfortable.

• @leedavis5903
    @leedavis5903 Před 6 měsíci

I have a 1998 honda shadow ace 1100 I bought it road it bout 60 miles got home didn't ride it till next day got off work crank it up road it no problem next day went to ride it to work cranked up got on it road put in first 2ent then dies crank back up put in first 2ent dies crank again first 2ent good 3er then dies then just turning over and not cracking when cold it will idle then gets hot dies

• @SignMeUpDesigns
      @SignMeUpDesigns  Před 6 měsíci

That sounds like it could be a coil pack or stator and is losing spark when it warms up. Could also be a really weak battery. You’ll have to do a spark test when it warms up to see if that’s the problem. It does not sound like a fuel related issue.

• @lingling_tvlttv1159
    @lingling_tvlttv1159 Před 7 měsíci

What’s the float height measurement? Is it 7mm

• @SignMeUpDesigns
      @SignMeUpDesigns  Před 7 měsíci

I honestly don’t know. I’ve never actually needed to measure them on this one.

• @02weddo
    @02weddo Před rokem

I removed everything in this video and my carburetor won’t come off 🤦🏻‍♂️😂 not sure what I’m missing and it’s frustrating at this point

• @SignMeUpDesigns
      @SignMeUpDesigns  Před rokem

Is it the same model bike?? It should be exactly the same! Single carbs will only have a few lines connected, throttle, fuel, choke and in this case 2 coolant.

• @captainorangesburner
      @captainorangesburner Před 9 měsíci

Yeah this bike is a nightmare to work on. Very tight and no room to work. Frustrating to the enth.

• @sldg9622
    @sldg9622 Před 9 měsíci

I’m pretty new to riding. I bought a 2004 shadow vtx 600 last year and ride it often. Recently I left the house and forgot to turn the gas on. Long story short I ran the gas out and killed the battery in the process of trying to get it back on and haven’t been able to get it back on since. I’ve had it on a battery tender and try to start it up occasionally with no luck. I’m not mechanically inclined by any means and I’m still learning. Any advice or tips on where I should start with this thing?

• @SignMeUpDesigns
      @SignMeUpDesigns  Před 9 měsíci +1

My first thought is by running it out of fuel you may have inadvertently pulled some sediment from the carburetor into the jets. I would start there and give the carb and jets a thorough cleaning since it’s not immediately starting back up. Also, you can take the air intake tube or filter off of the front of the carburetor. Spray some starting fluid right into the opening of the carb and try to start it up. If it runs or acts like it wants to run, that will confirm that the carbs need a good cleaning.

• @sldg9622
      @sldg9622 Před 9 měsíci

@@SignMeUpDesigns will do, I sure do appreciate the help and the quick response. I’ll lyk how it goes 💪