Contax T2

Sdílet
Vložit
  • čas přidán 31. 07. 2024
  • Jason reviews the camera of your dreams.
    Prints available here: graincheck.darkroom.tech/
    CAMERAS IN VIDEO:
    Contax T2
    Stranger Things Polaroid
    Shot on Sony a7rii, and my phone.
    Instayams: @50_shades_of_jason
    ===============
    AFFILIATES: (Helps support my channel)
    MUSIC provided by Epidemic Sound. Sign up here and get your first 30 days free:
    share.epidemicsound.com/grainy...
    ================
    Business Inquiries: pigmodegraingang@gmail.com

Komentáře • 500

• @fab4foxes
    @fab4foxes Před 3 lety +574

I have a T2 that I carried with me before digital. On September 11, 2001 I worked in the building that is now the Google NYC Headquarters, my office windows looked out on with the World Trade Center.
    I had several rolls of color negative with me and shot them all as the buildings burned and collapsed.
    Seven months later I had the camera with me in the delivery room as my wife gave birth to our twins.
    From witnessing the worst tragedy to the best moments of my life that Contax was there.
    True story.

• @-shakir5152
      @-shakir5152 Před 3 lety +24

Woah i need to see the pic now pleasee

• @kimyongun5471
      @kimyongun5471 Před 3 lety +13

One twins collapse, and another born... Spectacular.. Is there any way where you can share the photos?

• @kalebzamudio2298
      @kalebzamudio2298 Před 3 lety +23

@@-shakir5152 of his wife giving birth?

• @-shakir5152
      @-shakir5152 Před 3 lety +2

@@kalebzamudio2298 what?

• @lewisgilbert1120
      @lewisgilbert1120 Před 3 lety

Can you share the photos

• @HaiderMatrix
    @HaiderMatrix Před 3 lety +636

I feel like at this point the pool picture is just an inside joke for this channel. I laughed so hard when you climbed that fence for like the BILLIONTH time.

• @jankubat2694
      @jankubat2694 Před 3 lety +37

One day, there will be a statue of Jason striking his iconic "now imma climb this fence to shoot" powerstance.

• @madebymiguel
      @madebymiguel Před 3 lety +5

i searched for this comment the second i saw him climbing

• @MiracleWinchester
      @MiracleWinchester Před 3 lety +3

It's one of the earliest memories I have of this channel 😂

• @DogsandFilm
    @DogsandFilm Před 3 lety +216

Baxter's Appearences:
    -First 2:17
    -Second 2:58
    -Third 3:02
    -Fourth 17:00

• @AlisterMalcolm
    @AlisterMalcolm Před 3 lety +206

You pulled out a scented candle and everything, what a romantic

• @l.s.11
      @l.s.11 Před 3 lety +3

Yeah, I smelled it too.

• @RahimX
      @RahimX Před 3 lety

Lenard Stipkovic bro i cant smell it i have covid what it smell like

• @BraeHunziker
    @BraeHunziker Před 3 lety +356

Jason clearly still in denial that this is actually Baxter’s channel. It’s time to accept what has been true all these years my friend.

• @wolz71
    @wolz71 Před 3 lety +187

Jason: putting some HP5 in his camera
    Also Jason: getting up at 5:30 AM to see the colorful sunrise and shoot it in black and white
    Joke aside, great new video!

• @ipokefan4
    @ipokefan4 Před 3 lety +154

You should try the “Shoot Portra at Box Speed” challenge next!

• @vikmanphotography7984
      @vikmanphotography7984 Před 3 lety +32

Or the 'go on holiday without needing a liver transplant' challenge

• @kingsamvisuals
      @kingsamvisuals Před 3 lety

@@vikmanphotography7984 sounds about right

• @Barzyz01
      @Barzyz01 Před 3 lety +2

agreed, it is almost painful!

• @natty1115
    @natty1115 Před 3 lety +48

Another day, another stop at that pool

• @mohit-ng6sw
    @mohit-ng6sw Před 3 lety +1

the compositions of all your pictures are just great. love them all

• @William_Oh
    @William_Oh Před 3 lety

Thanksgiving was going to suck as usual this year, but then you shared a video and my day turned from sorrow to joy. Thanks Jason!

• @KaisuiSTFC
    @KaisuiSTFC Před 3 lety +87

I'm happy every time that depressed Ryan Gosling uploads a video. :)

• @neilabraham4429
    @neilabraham4429 Před 3 lety +17

I click for the photography, but I stay for the humor. Dude is hilarious!

• @BlackMantius
    @BlackMantius Před 3 lety +1

Just discovered this channel. I laughed. Like actually, with real noise and everything. Thanks I love it here.

• @constantinhartmann3053
    @constantinhartmann3053 Před 3 lety +1

Just a great video! I discovered your channel recently and I am impressed, well informed, entertained and inspired! Keep going!

• @matthiasbrenner5479
    @matthiasbrenner5479 Před 3 lety

Great great pictures! You were killing it with those early morning ones especially!

• @randallstewart175
    @randallstewart175 Před 3 lety +11

Concerning the T2's inability to directly select its 2.8 aperture in aperture preferred metering mode: As noted in the video, apertures of 4.0 or smaller can be directly selected with the camera then selecting the shutter speed. If you select the 2.8 aperture, the camera switches to program mode and then selects both aperture and speed per its auto-exposure program. First, the program mode selects 2.8 until the light is so bright that its fastest shutter speed would still over-expose, then it starts reducing aperture to maintain exposure, so you usually getting 2.8 until it is no longer workable. Additionally, you can lock the aperture at 2.8 by selecting a flash mode. In daylight, the flash output is so whimpy that it will usually have no effect on overall exposure, and the metering will still select a good shutter speed, in effect trying to "fill flash" a daylight exposure balance.

• @CraigKeIly
    @CraigKeIly Před 3 lety

Came from recommended section and you got a new sub :D
    Loved the humor and the technical knowledge

• @mostlyvintagecameras4323

I had one of these when they first came out and it was one of the best cameras I've ever owned. Really is a great lens.

• @jokerberlin964
    @jokerberlin964 Před 2 lety

Fab review - liked the outdoor session in Utah. Way to do such reviews dude!

• @Mmxxaamm
    @Mmxxaamm Před 3 lety +9

"The best p&s camera you'll always try to justify buying"... you just perfectly described by last two months

• @benjhaisch
    @benjhaisch Před 3 lety +6

I also took mine out in a rainy day in Canada... thought it was toast, but took the battery out and let it sit for awhile. Been fine ever since.

• @christianbentley3584
    @christianbentley3584 Před 3 lety +16

Happy Thanksgiving Jason. Hope you have a semi-ok, passive aggressive, monotone sarcasm filled day.

• @BrunoBelcastro
    @BrunoBelcastro Před 3 lety

Great review and amazing photos Jason!

• @armando.velazquez
    @armando.velazquez Před 3 lety +2

Funny I was just thinking of you in a non creepy way 😂😂 by far favorite film camera channel.

• @LouderPictures
    @LouderPictures Před 3 lety +43

I still don’t think I need any other 35mm camera than my AE-1, but I must admit that Contax T2 is beautiful

• @AK46_
      @AK46_ Před 3 lety +8

I’m a sucker for the T2 but I can’t justify spending 600-700 for a point and shoot when I can just buy a medium format camera, I went with it’s cheaper sibling the contax TVS it looks amazing

• @fakename287
      @fakename287 Před 3 lety +6

@@AK46_ where the hell are you guys finding them for 6-700? All I can find are *MINT CONDITION* *FROM JAPAN* for like 3000

• @peterc3619
      @peterc3619 Před 2 lety

@@fakename287 and they’re about to go up again since Kendall Jenner brought the damn camera with her to met gala these past days

• @randallstewart1224
      @randallstewart1224 Před měsícem

@@fakename287 I bought mine in the late 1990s, when I decided that I should buy a point-n-shoot camera for trips. (I had bought a Oly XA, which is a piece of trash, both mechanically and optically.) I was undecided between a Nikon 35Ti and the Contax T2, so I bought one of each (about $400 each in mint condition). I tested the lenses on real film exposures with lens test charts, and I used them a bit to get used to them. I keep the T2 and sold the Nikon for a slight profit. In terms of lens resolution, the Nikon 35Ti actually can give the best results at its optimum lens setting, but overall, the Sonnar in the T2 gives sharper images at more apertures, IMO more important for a P-n-S camera. Ergonomically, the T2 is simpler and far easier to use than the 35Ti, which has many bells and whistles not on the T2, but of the sort you'll never actually use. Its basic controls just suck. (And I am a confirmed Nikon system user since 1962, and in went in assuming I'd keep the 35Ti.)

• @jmbaug1229
    @jmbaug1229 Před 3 lety

The B&W photos are 🔥
    Thanks for your review !

• @b.brauner7500
    @b.brauner7500 Před 3 lety +4

The Contax TVS is a great alternative and very underrated. I got both and while I prefer the T2 because of the extra stop of light and its sexynes, the TVS is worth every dime

• @josephstitt137
    @josephstitt137 Před 3 lety +32

Lost it at the cake meme

• @rafkelezebest
    @rafkelezebest Před 3 lety

Dude you’re mullet is gorgeous. Makes me wish I still has mine

• @jaimewarner
    @jaimewarner Před 3 lety

I've been waiting for this video!! YAS! 👏

• @NerveSpartan
    @NerveSpartan Před 3 lety +6

when he cut the contax t2 cake, I'm like thats it have my like

• @musicdude1546
    @musicdude1546 Před 3 lety +1

Your videos deliver a vibe!! Great

• @filmbyhari
    @filmbyhari Před 3 lety

What a majestic landscape!

• @Joe951ZX
    @Joe951ZX Před 3 lety

just bought an Olympus XA2 to carry it in my pocket around Milan. It's my third film camera since August and yes, it's GAS baby!

• @schyysch
    @schyysch Před 3 lety

always enjoying your videos. Thanks!

• @Mmxxaamm
    @Mmxxaamm Před 3 lety +21

Some other excellent alternatives to this camera (same or lower price) are: Minolta TC-1, Olympus mju-II, Obviously the Yashica (t4/t5/super), Rollei 35s, Contax TVS, Fuji Klasse, Leica C1, and the Rollei AFM35

• @amitdavidov9142
      @amitdavidov9142 Před 3 lety +3

Ricoh gr1 also

• @Mmxxaamm
      @Mmxxaamm Před 3 lety +1

@@amitdavidov9142 Sadly I can not recommend the Ricoh series. They are extremely prone to fail and have LCD problems, and there’s virtually no shop in the world that can work on them anymore since their specific spare parts are very, very hard to find. All the cameras mentioned above will have similar issues, but after much research I found you can repair most of them and all of those models have much better and solid builds than the Ricoh.

• @itsjustpizza
      @itsjustpizza Před 3 lety +2

Nikon 35ti anyone?

• @Mmxxaamm
      @Mmxxaamm Před 3 lety

@@itsjustpizza Yep that one too

• @hyppyrotta71
      @hyppyrotta71 Před 2 lety

Leica Minilux is also pretty darn great, but obviously I am biased since I own one. The ability to use the 40mm f 2.4 actually in f 2.4 in aperture priority is pretty great advantage over the contax t2. And the lens is actually pretty sharp and has super nice circular bokeh.

• @lucarondon
    @lucarondon Před 3 lety

my girlfriend owns a t2 and I own a Nikon 35ti and I must say I am highly impressed at your ability to load film on the t2 with only one hand

• @chrisbruinsma4384
    @chrisbruinsma4384 Před 3 lety

So thankful for this channel

• @trajtemberg
    @trajtemberg Před 3 lety +2

Great review. You can almost feel the prices rising again.

• @calebtitus6367
    @calebtitus6367 Před 3 lety

your style is impeccable

• @nateeames6826
    @nateeames6826 Před 3 lety +10

Why doesn't anyone ever mention the original Olympus XA as a great point and shoot option? It's super compact, shoots in aperture priority, has ISO selection, manual focus, +1.5 exposure compensation (though you can always change the ISO mid-role to compensate to whatever you want), and a super sharp f2.8 35mm lens. Oh, and it's like $80. Seriously underrated camera.

• @danieldijo
    @danieldijo Před 3 lety +8

Best $5 thrift store purchase I have ever made.

• @CHRISTOPH-B
    @CHRISTOPH-B Před 3 lety

Wow dude, these pictures are awesome! 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻😳

• @RichardDavidLive
    @RichardDavidLive Před 3 lety +52

Ironically, Kendall Jenner's value has been steadily going down since her appearance on Jimmy Fallon's show.

• @drverano1918
      @drverano1918 Před 3 lety +1

isn't she one of the highest paid models in the world rn?

• @gewglesux
      @gewglesux Před 3 lety

It's not her.. it's being on Fallon that will drop your popularity. Kendall is pretty cool.

• @fakename287
      @fakename287 Před 3 lety +1

@@Keepitdead lmao imagine thinking "value" is based solely on your salary

• @lizalvarez428
      @lizalvarez428 Před 3 lety

@@gewglesux can you explain to me why going on Fallon it decreases your popularity?

• @gewglesux
      @gewglesux Před 3 lety

@@lizalvarez428 Because he's just not a very funny person.. He's quite fake and if you can believe it or not he's less on funny now than he was SNL.

• @yosefco
    @yosefco Před 3 lety

your videos reminds me - why i love photography

• @mattkaufman5531
    @mattkaufman5531 Před 3 lety +30

Just waiting for the day someone is selling one who doesn’t know what the internet is.

• @Derginator
      @Derginator Před 3 lety +1

Facebook marketplace is good for that and stolen items so be cautious for obviously stolen gear

• @eagereyes
    @eagereyes Před 3 lety +1

The Yashica T5 is a great little camera, I had one back in the 90s. If you don't need/want autofocus, the Olympus XA is hard to beat. Super compact and very well-designed little rangefinder camera. Make sure you get one where the film transport works, though. But last I checked, those were a lot less overhyped and overpriced than the T2.

• @jordhon
    @jordhon Před 3 lety

mmmmmmmm some amazing photos in this vid!

• @AryankalEL
    @AryankalEL Před 3 lety +1

Best Contax T2 review with a twist of humour. Keep up the good work mate!

• @YOUAREMYKIN
    @YOUAREMYKIN Před 3 lety

Great video and such nice photos!👌🏽

• @zaullizalde365
    @zaullizalde365 Před 2 lety

You had me dying. Such a great review

• @Linkinbassist
    @Linkinbassist Před 3 lety +18

We all came for a brief glimpse of Baxter. Let's not kid ourselves.

• @fatsamurai869
    @fatsamurai869 Před 3 lety +1

I was able to get the gold collectors edition at 12:56 for like $950 two years ago and it’s one of my favorite cameras I’ve ever owned

• @filmhowyalike
    @filmhowyalike Před 3 lety +1

Another alternative that no one ever talks about, but has also become equally as pricey is the Klasse W. It has a super sharp f2.8 28mm (!) lens, manual iso selection (& DX), 1/1000th shutter speed & great ergonomics.

• @bernardocabrera4256
    @bernardocabrera4256 Před 3 lety

Love your videos! Love from Ecuador 🇪🇨

• @thegenius203
    @thegenius203 Před 3 lety

Liking cause of your sense of humor, I love it

• @actionimagesphotography
    @actionimagesphotography Před 3 lety +1

Well that made me smile on a completely crummy day, thanks.

• @JamieMPhoto
    @JamieMPhoto Před 3 lety +1

I owned two T4s, but sold both. They were great but I just never used them, which is what I think would happen with a T2. Yet, I'm tempted.

• @thehandoftheartist6536

I love my T2... got it before that price hike and I'll never sell it! Goes everywhere with me

• @aristoioannidis7490
    @aristoioannidis7490 Před 3 lety

Very versatile camera. Kudos to you. After this, there is no way I can muster over $1K to buy it.

• @sholombrummel3732
    @sholombrummel3732 Před 3 lety

Your videos are funny as hell man!

• @MarcS4R
    @MarcS4R Před 3 lety

thumbs uo for Grainydays, i have a cheapo alternative to my Contax that i take along to parties : the Yashica T3.

• @infrequentflyer4271
    @infrequentflyer4271 Před 3 lety

the best youtuber ever

• @GoodBaleada
    @GoodBaleada Před 3 lety

I couldn't stop watching that. That was fun.

• @miguelvidal4749
    @miguelvidal4749 Před 3 lety

your videos are really fun to watch, new sub

• @Liberty0x
    @Liberty0x Před 3 lety +10

"This is my channel. This isn't his channel" Keep telling yourself that man.

• @brandonburridge
    @brandonburridge Před 3 lety

the mask / mullet combo goes hard

• @amplifierheadache
    @amplifierheadache Před 3 lety

I remember looking at a T2 three years ago, and I couldn't justify spending $230 on a point and shoot, fastforward to now and I am kicking myself quite a bit, but I picked up the Kyorcera TD and that has a Zeiss 35mm 3.5 and it only cost me $70 so I think I'm doing ok. Also I enjoy my Olympus Stylus and XA so my compact needs are well covered, I even picked up a Rollei 35 B. Also Baxter doesn't need to take your channel if he is obviously your overlord.

• @EnvyDesignGroup
    @EnvyDesignGroup Před 3 lety

Another absolute banger of an episode!! That camp site is absolutely unreal!

• @ianboard544
    @ianboard544 Před 3 lety

I've had one of these since it came out. I had a G1 and a T2. I sold the G1 and don't regret that, but kept the T2. There is something 'right' about the design.

• @ruqy7996
    @ruqy7996 Před 9 měsíci

yo the cake thing is dope.. hahahah love it...

• @crysistec
    @crysistec Před 3 lety +1

the joke
    the cake
    the pro mist filter
    owww i love this chanel

• @thegrayyernaut
    @thegrayyernaut Před 3 lety

I don't think I have seen a comment talking about how good the VFX for the cake cutting intro is.

• @injeolmi6
    @injeolmi6 Před 3 lety

Thank you, Jason.

• @michaelsherck5099
    @michaelsherck5099 Před 3 lety

Nice review, thanks. All things considered, I think I'll keep my Konica Big Mini.

• @crimsonnights2102
    @crimsonnights2102 Před 3 lety

At last after all this years (just 1 year).
    Now you have a review at last of this luxurios camera just like the Nikon F6.
    And also to those who comments Baxter is the main character ( i dont know if this dog have a certain charateristics , we don't know if one day his an alien disguised as a dog and annihilates us).
    I agree.

• @june5430
    @june5430 Před 3 lety +3

u should check out the nikon L35AF. i had that camera for about a year and it’s been amazing

• @randallstewart175
    @randallstewart175 Před 3 lety

By most of the measures being considered, a superior purchase would be a Konica Hxar AF. Better lens, better user controls, but a bit larger too. Unhappily, it costs a lot more these days than in the past but still about 35% less than the T2. If you want to go maximum imaging with full user control, find a really nice Rollei 35SE for about 40% the cost of the T2. In the mean time, I'll hold on to my T2.

• @AdamWilkoszarski
    @AdamWilkoszarski Před 3 lety

This camara is totaly different beast when you use quality lab and quality scans. Still cool results with a flatbed.

• @maxwellwellmax878
    @maxwellwellmax878 Před 3 lety

A few years ago I got a Brand new Contax N1 with the Kit lens when B&H was getting rid of all the analog stuff, damn it i got the wrong Contax lol.

• @Barzyz01
    @Barzyz01 Před 3 lety

great video, however, my Olympus Stylus 120 which took a swim on the Galveston, TX beach humbly smirks and chuckles.

• @joeplonsker633
    @joeplonsker633 Před 3 lety

Great camera. Bought one for $200 off Craigslist a few years ago, but eventually sold it to get funds for a rangefinder. If anyone's on the fence about getting one, look up the original Contax T (same lens, no autofocus, weird door hinge contraption on the front).

• @christalperez9646
    @christalperez9646 Před 2 lety

I really enjoyed this video

• @tonyzhao5373
    @tonyzhao5373 Před 2 lety

that cake is awesone

• @welcobro821
    @welcobro821 Před 3 lety

Also love how at 12:11 he’s takes a photo in landscape and than a portrait appears on screen

• @jazazrielpamaran9092
    @jazazrielpamaran9092 Před 3 lety

I canceled thanksgiving dinner for this. This better be good.

• @FotoPirata
    @FotoPirata Před 3 lety

Oh great! Baxter's channel is finally reviewing the Contax T2

• @JimmyKristanto
    @JimmyKristanto Před 3 lety

omg the meme cracks me up but most importantly the it drives me to keep shooting again!

• @Thefury06484
    @Thefury06484 Před 3 lety

I got the standard champagne colored one complete in the box with a spare data back for 260$ in late 2015. Now it’s silly how much these go for, it’s a banger tho.

• @ExpiredBren
    @ExpiredBren Před 3 lety

That shot at 16:16 is low key a banger🔥

• @BillPutnamPhoto
    @BillPutnamPhoto Před 3 lety

I've been using a Minox 35EL as a tiny point and shoot. Literally pocketable.

• @danielgourdikian7263
    @danielgourdikian7263 Před 3 lety +147

no baxter in the first 5 seconds, gonna have to dislike

• @joanmichel
    @joanmichel Před 3 lety

that cake slice gave me anxiety.
    but overall, enjoyed you using the camera of people's dreams ~

• @photog1529
    @photog1529 Před 3 lety

I do like your choice of bourbon...convinces me you're a man of distinction.

• @rbonacic
    @rbonacic Před 2 lety

Came for the camera stayed for the pictures subscribed for sass 😃

• @vladmaterial
    @vladmaterial Před 3 lety

best review. great story. cool life

• @gregkey2218
    @gregkey2218 Před 3 lety

Went with a TVS because the all the Ts are too ridiculously priced. Love it and the zoom is always handy but it does get annoying with the slower apertures

• @LuisMartinez-fr6kd
    @LuisMartinez-fr6kd Před 3 lety +5

Film cameras are the beanie babies of our generation

• @EmmaEryn
    @EmmaEryn Před 3 lety

your deadpan delivery has me dead 😂

• @AREKU
    @AREKU Před 3 lety

That Shot of the autoshop was tasty!