BEST CHEAP UNDERWATER CAMERA HOUSING?! A Surf Photographer's Review | SEAFROGS Housing for Fuji X-T3

Sdílet
Vložit
  • čas přidán 8. 09. 2024

Komentáře • 88

• @benbattell
    @benbattell  Před 3 lety +5

Really hope this video helps! Please give it a like and Subscribe if it has! Cheers Team! (Discount code in Description!)

• @berkdeniz
      @berkdeniz Před 3 lety

thank you for the video do you think xt4 would fit in ??

• @divebuddyjon
    @divebuddyjon Před 2 lety +1

Awesome! I'm using the same housing with the dome port!

• @gas3d
    @gas3d Před 2 lety +1

Thanks for the code and all the info!!!

• @bornagainsurfer4936
    @bornagainsurfer4936 Před 3 lety +1

I've been on the fence for like 6 months, not sure if I should go with seafrogs because of concerns over quality..just based on the price point. This video helps with some of those concerns. Thanks mate!

• @benbattell
      @benbattell  Před 3 lety +1

Hey really glad that it helped! I have always been so impressed with the quality of the housings, a really great place to get into underwater photography from! Let me know how you get on, and if you have any other questions at all!

• @SuperMutant000
    @SuperMutant000 Před 3 lety +1

Thanks for the review! Super helpful!

• @harmony860
    @harmony860 Před 3 lety +1

thank you so much for the code!! just bought one for my Sony a7iii

• @benbattell
      @benbattell  Před 3 lety

Epic! Stoked to hear that, you will love it!

• @PhillGraaf
      @PhillGraaf Před 2 lety

hey man, how is the housing? I want to get one for my A7III too but many reviews say its bad and leaking...

• @harmony860
      @harmony860 Před 2 lety

@@PhillGraaf I've had mine for about 7 8 months and its been great. No leaks, but I always make sure to test the housing before I put my camera in it.
      Just make sure to take care of it how they say to take care of it.

• @becccahall
    @becccahall Před 3 lety +1

This looks so cool! I would love to have a go at in water photography, and this housing looks great! Thanks for the review!

• @ThisisnotTwitter
    @ThisisnotTwitter Před 2 lety

I really wish they made these housings to include the battery grips internally. Especially the XT-3 is a good example of why having the extra batteries and boost switch onboard really increases useability.

• @benbattell
      @benbattell  Před rokem

Hey I didn't see this comment! Totally agree! that would be great! Also that bit of extra weight would give great stability for in water video too!

• @ChrisJacobs-in1rt
    @ChrisJacobs-in1rt Před 11 měsíci +1

Hey Ben - do you have a link to the side grip you attached? The SeaFrogs one is £90!

• @benbattell
      @benbattell  Před 3 měsíci

Sorry for the huge delay!! this is my one www.saltedlineeurope.com/products/aluminium-handle-grip

• @jean-louishupe5562
    @jean-louishupe5562 Před 2 lety +1

thx for the video and the code! I will use it as soon as I order :) Also, I have this question i can't seem to find an answer for: I'd like to use my waterhousing on my xt3, but with a Samyang 12mm lens. I'd have to set up manual focus and aperture before, of course, but will it fit in any dome? I'd be happy if you know that!

• @benbattell
      @benbattell  Před 2 lety +1

No worries, glad it helped! the dome fits the Samyang 12mm I actually was using just that set up last week!

• @jean-louishupe5562
      @jean-louishupe5562 Před 2 lety

@@benbattell oh wow! thanks for the quick answer! Glad to hear that, as I think the Samyang will really be a good fit for surf / wave photography. Really happy to hear that actually!! thanks again Ben!

• @tessvisual4874
    @tessvisual4874 Před 3 lety

I really love these housing, I already have 2 for my Sony’s, but is so sad that they are not making one for xt4

• @benbattell
      @benbattell  Před 3 lety

Ahh, I didn't realize this I had hoped they would (I know it was in R&D)! Such a shame, I imagine It was a pandemic issue I know their factory closed for a long while.

• @reetabass1540
      @reetabass1540 Před 2 lety

I emailed them they said they are making one for the xt4 that should be out around december

• @sportpicturescymru
    @sportpicturescymru Před rokem +1

Hi, just had a look at the prices with a with glass 6" Flat Port. XF 18-55mm lens. Cost for that with your discount is still $642 or £526. Is that about right do you think? Thanks :o)

• @CUZZABRO
    @CUZZABRO Před 2 lety +1

What size dome/lens combo did you use for split shots? Very informative video btw, thanks!

• @CUZZABRO
      @CUZZABRO Před 2 lety

@Seafrogs Dear???? Why you calling me dear? Do I look like a 4 legged mammal with hOOOOVES???!!

• @CUZZABRO
      @CUZZABRO Před 2 lety

@Seafrogs Honestly....some people just GRIND MY Gears. all my love, imsosorryigothacked

• @benbattell
      @benbattell  Před rokem

Hey sorry for the delayed reply I was using the 18-55 kit lens for split shots!

• @AdrianRevueltaHD
    @AdrianRevueltaHD Před 2 lety +1

hey is this housing compatible with the XT 2 model? great video!

• @benbattell
      @benbattell  Před 2 lety

Hey, thanks, unfortunately its not due to the different shape of the X-T2!

• @pedrodomingues1599
    @pedrodomingues1599 Před 3 lety +2

Thank you for the review, nice job.
    P.S.: Your sound is very poor, there´s plenty of room for improvement there.

• @benbattell
      @benbattell  Před 3 lety

Hey Pedro, thanks for your comment, would be great to learn what you thought was could be improved with the sound??

• @3VAudioVideo
      @3VAudioVideo Před 3 lety +1

@@benbattell Great channel! I agree about the audio. The music is a bit too busy and fast paced for this content (I was thinking that even before reading Pedro's comment). It feels like we are watching one thing but then hearing some other video's audio at the same time. also not sure if you are using an external mic or not (could be the small room your in). But great content! I just got mine yesterday (for the Sony A6400) and at first was surprised you didn't get the handle and then later realized they don't have it for the X-T3 (same goes for the Canon M50). Not sure why. I thought it was pricey until I understood it has a trigger for taking photos (not video). I was going to get one for my M50 since the camera is way cheaper if it leaks and gets destroyed, but the case for it is a lot more $$. Did you get extra springs so you can replace the rusty ones in your latch (in case they become unusable)? Mine came with an extra set included in the price. I'm also surprised that your case remains hinged on one side - unhinging from both sides is an improvement in the Sony's version 3 (as well as adding the red safety switch in the hinge). I got the 8" dome too. I plan to get a single handle tray like yours too. Good idea to put your name on it! Is that a body board leash you attached? If not, can you please post a link to it? I've been wondering what to use to make sure it doesn't get away :) Good luck with your new channel! Subbed!

• @benbattell
      @benbattell  Před 3 lety

@@3VAudioVideo Hey Thanks for the feedback! I was using a shotgun on top but I think being in the van next to the road didn't help! Also good to know on the music front, more mellow from now on! I need to double-check but I don't recall getting extra springs included?! I have the dome as well! good fun for split shots! Cheers for subscribing! Yeah it is an old body board one! I will upgrade that at some point i think but has done me fine up until now!

• @maximusfivehundred6264
    @maximusfivehundred6264 Před 2 lety +1

Do you ever use a wider lens? If yes, what and what dome port. Thanks

• @benbattell

I normally don't use a lens wider than the 18-55 kit lens which is great in the flat port or the Dry dome port V.1 I have tried the 7Artisans 12mm but I didn't bond with it!

• @guytzubery8647
    @guytzubery8647 Před 11 měsíci

Hay ben thanks for the vid.
    I wonder how can you get control od the focus while shooting underwater.
    Do you use auto focus 😢

• @benbattell

Hello! no worries! So there is no option to manually control the focus distance (location can be adjusted) in the housing so the options are to set the focus manually before you put the camera in the housing or use auto focus!

• @giuliannomoroni7860
    @giuliannomoroni7860 Před 3 lety +1

Very good, I'm thinking about buying the salt line for sony a6400, for surfing photos, I'm just a little uneasy about how this box will behave in everyday situations in friction with waves of various sizes, have you ever had any problems with these boxes? this is reliable for me to perform my work in the surf area.

• @benbattell
      @benbattell  Před 3 lety

Hey Giulianno thanks for the question! I use mine in the surf all the time and haven’t had any problems! They are pretty sturdy! Just make sure to keep the seal clean and lubricated with silicone!

• @giuliannomoroni7860
      @giuliannomoroni7860 Před 3 lety +1

@@benbattell Dude, that's awesome, thanks for the tip.

• @benbattell
      @benbattell  Před 3 lety

@@giuliannomoroni7860 No worries dude! Have fun out there!!

• @3VAudioVideo
      @3VAudioVideo Před 3 lety +2

I just left a comment about the housing I got for my A6400 (in reply to Pedro - should be above your comment thread). Seafrog makes a pistol grip for this case - this is specifically for surf photography (but of course can be used for scuba/snorkel too). So I believe it should handle surf/waves too (as mentioned on their site too). I ordered it this Monday night and arrived 2 days later (Wed) - super fast from Hong Kong to West Coast USA! This seems to be the real deal! I saw a review where a guy had a Seafrog for a few years and thought it was time to upgrade. Got an Ikelite and liked the Seafrog better at some like a 1/3 of the price (after all the add-ons). I'd suggest to be patient and learn everything about taking precautions so it won't leak and it should last a long time. Seafrog has a long YT video on first time use specifically for the A6xxx case. If you haven't seen it, please do.

• @lucamuller1672
    @lucamuller1672 Před 2 lety

Hi Ben! Which lenses fit in this thing? Do the 16mm fit? And What about the 10-24mm? I suppose the small primes 23mm f2 and 35mm f2 fit? Or do I need a dome for those?

• @ReZShot
    @ReZShot Před 3 lety +1

Sad they don't offer one for the xt4 :(

• @benbattell
      @benbattell  Před 3 lety

It’s coming! I have spoken to them, massive delays due to Covid but it should be out soon!

• @3likklebirds878
    @3likklebirds878 Před 2 lety

Hi Thanks for the video this is helpful, could you provide a link to the grip or what grip you are using please.

• @benbattell
      @benbattell  Před 2 lety

Hey glad you found it useful! I use this Tray handle: seafrogs.com.hk/collections/aluminium-tray/products/aluminium-diving-grip-for-underwater-camera-housings-v-ii dont forget to use my discount code "benbattell" for 5% off!

• @stanley_freire
    @stanley_freire Před 3 lety +1

Hey mate! Thanks for that review, so informative! A question: how do you change the 18-55 f2.8/4 lens aperture when you're on water? I haven't found a way to customize the buttons to change the aperture. Thanks!

• @benbattell

Hey Stanley, unfortunately as far as I am aware you can't I have tried and researched this heaps, practically the only thing that you have to set before you go in the sea! (In the old X-T1 housing you had an extra nob that you could adjust it with! Only worked with the 18-55 however!) One thing you can do is set different apertures for stills and video before you put your camera in the housing which is super useful!

• @stanley_freire
      @stanley_freire Před 3 lety

@@benbattell That's what I thought. No worries though. What is the "main" aperture that you usually go into the water with these lenses?

• @benbattell

@@stanley_freire the big question! It really depends as quite often the light is not that great so I want to stay as open as possible, but if it's an epic day and I want to get super sharp details, up to about F8!

• @stanley_freire
      @stanley_freire Před 3 lety +1

@@benbattell epic mate! Thank you so much! I will try to share my results as much as I can when I receive mine!

• @benbattell

@@stanley_freire Epic, make sure you tag me so I can see can't wait to see how you get on!

• @Lytemotiv
    @Lytemotiv Před rokem

is it possible when you a in video mode to switch to photo mode without coming out of the water and opening the whole case and switch the flip? cheers

• @benbattell
      @benbattell  Před rokem

Hey! Yes for the X-T3 and I imagine other Fuji ones it is, as you have access to the required controls from outside the housing!! A full list of controls is on the seafrogs website for each housing if I remember correctly!

• @Lytemotiv
      @Lytemotiv Před 7 měsíci

@@benbattell is there any chance to switch the shutter speed 1/125 to 1/250 to 1/320.. so the small steps? or is it possible to adjust just the big shutter speed steps.. 1/125 to 1/500 to 1/1000 to 1/2000 so on..

• @andydartnellad
    @andydartnellad Před 3 lety +1

I’ve got the sea frogs a6xxx housing for my Sony a6000 and it’s solid! What made you choose the xt3 over Sony, was it just that you didn’t want to switch over to Sony as you’ve already invested heavily in your xt3 system?

• @benbattell
      @benbattell  Před 3 lety

Hey Andy! Yeah they are great right! I actually had a Fuji X100T back in 2016 and loved it so stayed with Fuji since then, X-T1 then X-T3, I like the tactile controls and think they look pretty rad too, so not really considered switching! Plus as you mentioned, invested heavily in lenses already! Imagine the a6000 must be great in the water too, little smaller form factor etc!

• @andydartnellad

@@benbattell yeah having access to all the controls was the main reason why I chose the sea frogs housing. The A6000 is great but a bit outdated know, I’ve had it for nearly 6 years. Time for an upgrade I think.

• @benbattell
      @benbattell  Před 3 lety

@@andydartnellad Yeah exactly, i love having all that control in the water! What are you looking at for the upgrade??

• @andydartnellad

@@benbattell I’ll be sticking with the Sony a6xxx system but undecided wether i want the a6400 or a6500. Leaning more towards the a6500 for the stabilisation as my sigma glass doesn’t have oss built in.

• @giuliannomoroni7860
      @giuliannomoroni7860 Před 3 lety

@@andydartnellad What kind of photos do you take in the water, diving or surfing? I'm looking at this box for the sony a6400 salt line, for surf action photos, I know I'll find myself in unfavorable situations with surfers, in the matter of being very close, and with that the contacts with the waves and friction will be inevitable in certain moments, is this box ready for this? without giving me a headache and that will make me feel secure in these situations.

• @martinjg3662
    @martinjg3662 Před 3 lety

Great video Ben, quick question: Do you know if you can use either port (dome or standard) with the 16-80mm lens?

• @benbattell
      @benbattell  Před 3 lety

Great question! I have had a quick look, and I think that it would fit in the F.P.2 housing as it's a little smaller than the 16-55mm that it is designed for however there is no zoom gear so you would have to set it before you put it in the housing, unless you managed to use the 16-55mm zoom gear with a little extra padding below it... hope that helps!

• @martinjg3662
      @martinjg3662 Před 3 lety

@@benbattell Thanks for the reply Ben, have you got F.P1 also? that is the port I was going to get as it fits some of my other lenses and I dont own the 16-55. Cheers

• @benbattell
      @benbattell  Před 3 lety

@@martinjg3662 Hey Martin, I was thinking that if you get the 16-55 zoom gear it may fit your 16-80mm (perhaps!!) have the F.P1 and use it with a range of Fuji and Viltrox primes! The largest being the Viltrox 85mm! Would highly recommend it!

• @martinjg3662
      @martinjg3662 Před 3 lety +1

@@benbattell thanks for reply again Ben. Yes I have the Viltrox 23 1.4 and assumed that would fit also got a Laowa Macro lens which might work but it's only maual focus. Probably ok for snorkelling but not for a dive!

• @piwagerica7365
    @piwagerica7365 Před 3 lety

Hi Ben! Do I need to use the anti fog sheets? or when do I need to use it? And, Do I need to lubricate the O ring in every session?

• @benbattell
      @benbattell  Před 3 lety

Hey! I actually have a video (my latest one) on my channel on how I set up my housing! Running through all these things, take a watch and let me know in the coments if you have any more questions! Cheers!

• @photospire
    @photospire Před rokem

Just bought one and I've opened it up and it started beeping. I don't know enough and currently cannot find info on how to turn it off. Can you help?

• @benbattell
      @benbattell  Před rokem

Hey! That will be the water sensor perhaps there is a bit of moisture on the strip, a dry cloth wiped along the strip inside the housing should sort it out!🤙

• @photospire
      @photospire Před rokem

@@benbattell Thank you!

• @RickyMarcic
    @RickyMarcic Před 2 lety

Do you know if this housing is compatible with the X-T100 ?

• @benbattell
      @benbattell  Před 2 lety

Hey this particular housing is only compatable with the XT3 they offer options for a few othe Fuji models but not the X-T100 as yet.

• @pinkpenguinstudios7459

Can you use an X-T4 on this?

• @benbattell
      @benbattell  Před rokem

Hey SO the housing for the X-T4 is similar but not the same as the cameras are a different shape! I think that they have a model out for the X-T4 now specifically!

• @KyHarvey71
    @KyHarvey71 Před 3 lety

Is there a port for the 10-24 lens?

• @benbattell
      @benbattell  Před 3 lety

Hey Kyle, the 10-24 fits in the fp1 housing for x-t3 it doesn’t have a zoom gear though so you would have to set it before putting it in the housing! Hope that helps!

• @raccc2x
    @raccc2x Před 2 lety

Can this fit with fujifilm xt20?

• @benbattell
      @benbattell  Před 2 lety

Hi, unfortunately not, they only work with a single model, as the case is designed for the exact shape of the camera!