Fujinon XF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 LM WR OIS Review (on 40MP X-T5)

Sdílet
Vložit
  • čas přidán 24. 07. 2024
  • Photographer Dustin Abbott shares a thorough review of the existing pro-grade telephoto zoom option on the Fuji X-mount platform - the Fujinon XF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 R LM WR OIS | Read the Text Review: bit.ly/XF100_400da | Visit the Image Gallery: bit.ly/XF100_400pics | Purchase the Fujinon XF 100-400mm OIS @ B&H Photo bhpho.to/38Deu5U | Amazon amzn.to/3kzP0fT | Camera Canada shrsl.com/3w4p6 | Amazon Canada amzn.to/3XHxTXA | Amazon UK amzn.to/3whL8Tc | Find it Used at KEH shrsl.com/3w4o3
    Purchase the Fujinon XF 150-600mm OIS @ B&H Photo bhpho.to/3XLogHp | Amazon amzn.to/3XHvrjQ | Camera Canada shrsl.com/3w4np | Amazon Canada amzn.to/3QUU8qK | Amazon UK amzn.to/3XtFtFI | Find it Used at KEH shrsl.com/3w4nw
    Purchase the Fujifilm X-T5 @ B&H Photo bhpho.to/3uJsXFg | Amazon amzn.to/3WzxHsZ | Camera Canada shrsl.com/3un59 | Amazon Canada amzn.to/3v8IiiJ | Amazon UK amzn.to/3YEpLs6
    Check out the DA Merch here: bit.ly/TWIMerch | Become a Patron: / dustinabbott | On the Web: dustinabbott.net/ | Sign up for my Newsletter: bit.ly/1RHvUNp | Instagram: bit.ly/DLAinsta | Facebook: on. 1nuUUeH | Flickr: bit.ly/1UcnC0B | 500px: bit.ly/1Sy2Ngu Follow Craig @ / craigstoffersen
    Want to support this channel? Use these affiliate links to shop at:
    B&H Photo: bhpho.to/1TA0Xge
    Camera Canada: bit.ly/DLACameraCan
    Amazon: amzn.to/3HrY64d
    Amazon Canada: amzn.to/3qG1p18
    Ebay: bit.ly/DustineBay
    Make a donation via Paypal: www.paypal.com/paypalme/dusti...
    =============================
    Table of Contents:
    =============================
    0:00​ - Intro and Concept
    2:00 - Build and Features
    8:30 - Autofocus
    11:15 - Optical Breakdown
    21:40 - Conclusion and Pricing
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    Oben Tabletop Tripod shown in video: bhpho.to/3vL8YWy
    Want Dustin's jacket? bit.ly/TheCoatDA
    Purchase the Sony a7IV @ B&H Photo bhpho.to/3rlsMxE | Amazon amzn.to/33jL8Y2 | Camera Canada shrsl.com/3ccgt | Amazon Canada amzn.to/3npk3cA | Amazon UK amzn.to/3FsWAxp | Amazon Germany amzn.to/3npjOhG
    Purchase the Sony Alpha 1 @ Camera Canada shrsl.com/2wdk2 | B&H Photo bhpho.to/3upRFZd | Amazon amzn.to/3t1m8MD | Amazon Canada amzn.to/3cVFrBB | Amazon UK amzn.to/2OtrjGe | Amazon Germany amzn.to/3d0GtMO | Ebay ebay.us/i371Vs
    Get a discount off all Skylum Editing Software (Luminar, Aurora HDR, AirMagic) by using code DUSTINHDR at checkout: bit.ly/LuminarDLA
    Become a Patron: / dustinabbott | Check me out on: Personal Website: dustinabbott.net/ | Sign up for my Newsletter: bit.ly/1RHvUNp | Instagram: bit.ly/DLAinsta | Google+: bit.ly/24PjMzv | Facebook: on. 1nuUUeH | Twitter: bit.ly/1RyYxIH | Flickr: bit.ly/1UcnC0B | 500px: bit.ly/1Sy2Ngu
    My filming setup: Sony Alpha 1: Camera Canada shrsl.com/2wdk2 | B&H Photo bhpho.to/3upRFZd | Amazon amzn.to/3t1m8MD
    Canon EOS R5: B&H Photo bhpho.to/3iMH18x | Amazon amzn.to/33L3D53 | Camera Canada shrsl.com/2jqth
    Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 RXD @B&H Photo: bhpho.to/2FA00la, Camera Canada shrsl.com/2ikq2, or Amazon amzn.to/2G2kaEr
    DISCLAIMER: This video and description contains affiliate links, which means that if you click on one of the product links, I’ll receive a small commission. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
    Keywords: Fuji 100-400, Fuji 100-400mm, Fujinon 100-400, Fuji 100-400 Review, Fujinon XF 100-400mm, R, WR, OIS, LM, Review, Fujifilm, X-T5, Fuji X-T5, X-T5 Review, Fuji X-T5 Review, Fujinon, Dustin Abbott, Review, Sensor, Tracking, IBIS, Stabilization, Eye AF, 150-600mm, XF, Review, Hands On, Video Test, Sharpness, High ISO, Autofocus, Dynamic Range, 40MP, 40 MP, Lens, Comparison, Test, Dustinabbott.net, APS-C, X-Trans, letthelightin, DA
  • Věda a technologie

Komentáře • 90

• @peterjackhandy
    @peterjackhandy Před rokem +5

Just to add my twopen'orth as a long-time user...
    My 100-400 is 6 years old now, is used very regularly for my favoured genres of surf, fast-action sports & wildlife photography, and has no lens-creep other than occasionally dropping ~20mm when I have it stashed vertically (nose-down) clipped to my backpack shoulder strap & I'm rattling, on my Ebike, down the fire-roads in my local woods.
    Probably the main reason I've decided to stick with this lens is that it fits in my backpack, with the 1.4 t/c & x-t4 attached & ready for immediate deployment:
    None of my 7 🙄 various bags will accommodate the new 150-600, even off-camera.
    AND, I can hand-hold & shoot this one for hours if needed.

• @DustinAbbottTWI
      @DustinAbbottTWI  Před rokem

You definitely have much fewer carrying options when you move from the 100-400mm form factor.

• @Snapit551
    @Snapit551 Před rokem +11

Great review yet again 👌 I have the 100-400 fuji and it’s a bargain used at half the price and available everywhere .

• @chuc.dxq3809
    @chuc.dxq3809 Před rokem +8

The cat wanted to join your review.😂

• @fjzingo
    @fjzingo Před rokem +1

Great review and good to get a detailed description of peaks and troughs for this lens. I never came around to sell my 100-400 when I got the 150-600, actually still use both. It did a great job at safari in Tanzania. I have tried to shoot indoors with the 100-400, not fantastic, ended up getting the 50-140 for those occasions. Hope they update that energy draining lens with new motors…

• @malfunkt
    @malfunkt Před rokem +3

Another great review with a bonus cameo from your assistant! For my telephoto needs, after several Fuji zoom, I settled on the Tamron 18-300. While not as sharp as the XF 70-300 I previously had, it is still quite good in most of the range. Tamron updated the firmware recently which improved some issues I had with focus, OIS resetting, and some intermittent blackouts. Such a joy to have the flexibility offered in such a large focal range. For strict telephoto quality, I have a manual Rokinon / Samyang 135 F2 on X-mount which is truly stellar and is a bargain considering the optical quality.

• @thinkingape7655
    @thinkingape7655 Před rokem +1

Love the Chess table. 👍
    Great review too.

• @cy9nvs
    @cy9nvs Před rokem +3

What a coincidence, bought it used for 950€ yesterday and today you release a video about it.

• @jeffchin2990
    @jeffchin2990 Před rokem +10

Thanks for this well done review. I feel vindicated for passing on the 150-600XF and sticking with the 100-400. Still a great lens for the X bodies.
    Disappointing that the 150-600 is so slow otherwise I would have upgraded.

• @technodronesogxl9783
    @technodronesogxl9783 Před rokem +3

I just bought the XF100 400 new last week for 1099.00 to use with my XH2. It comes with a seller 1-year warranty and no OEM MFG warranty. So far it works very well, and I bought a Cotton Carrier CCS G3 to carry around on my chest instead of my waist when hanging around my neck.
    The XF150 600MM is just too big to carry around for ME. I shoot mostly landscapes. Now I have the Viltrox 13mm 1.4 lens, Fuji 18 55mm 2.8, Fuji 16 80mm, and now the XF100 400 lens.
    I am happy with the acquisition and performance of this lens so far, and the price new was without question a get it at all cost.
    I wonder how this compares to Tamron or Sigma 150 500

• @rvnmedic2709
    @rvnmedic2709 Před rokem +2

Thank you. As usual a clear concise review. I have the 100-400 and an X-T5. I've found the lens good for wildlife and BIF. I recently purchased the Tamron 150-600 G2. I haven't yet had the opportuniy to take it birding but I did some tripod comparison with the 100-400. w/1.4TC. I used the Fringer EF-XF Pro ll adapter for the Tamron. Surprisingly the sharpness of the Tamron at 560mm (equivalent to the Fuji) was, I thought, much better. Better contrast. Both shot at F8 because that's was the maximun aperture for the Fuji. I didn't try F6.3 with the Tamron. That half stop faster has to help I would think.

• @DustinAbbottTWI
      @DustinAbbottTWI  Před rokem +2

Yes, some of these native Fuji lenses are not up to the standard that companies like Tamron and Sigma are setting on other platforms.

• @DalsPhotography
      @DalsPhotography Před rokem

RVN, I tried that combo, with the same Fringer, but version 1, for me it wasn't an appealing combo, I don't know if the Fringer Pro II will give better results? I would be interesting to know. My subjects are the same as yours :)

• @wanderingfool6312
    @wanderingfool6312 Před rokem +1

Thanks, another great review.
    Any chance of a review of the remaining long telephoto for Fuji, the Tamron 150-500.
    It’s had little attention since its release on the Fuji, and is a real different proposition for the crop sensor.

• @DustinAbbottTWI
      @DustinAbbottTWI  Před rokem +3

I do plan to look at the Tamron, maybe in conjunction with my X-H2 review.

• @wanderingfool6312
      @wanderingfool6312 Před rokem

@@DustinAbbottTWI That’s great, I’m presently trying to decide between the Tamron or the Fuji on my XH-2s, a serious review would really help.👍

• @stpetal
    @stpetal Před rokem +2

Great review! (I'm honestly surprised that the XF 100-400 held up that well vs the new 150-600). Not sure how long you'll have these review loaners around, but a comparison between the X-T5 + 100-400 (or 70-300) and the Canon R7 + the RF F5.6-8 IS USM is one that would be super useful. X-T5 and R7 compete at their relative price points and while the RF 100-400 is several steps below the XF 100-400 in build, features, f-stop, and included lens hood, The used Fujifilm is in the same ballpark against the Canon lens when purchased new. It would be a heck of a duel!

• @DustinAbbottTWI
      @DustinAbbottTWI  Před rokem +1

I'm afraid all of the above has been sent back to the sources that loaned everything to me.

• @mortenthorpe
    @mortenthorpe Před rokem +2

I keep the 100-400 around, although very seldomly used now, even after having the 150-600, exactly because of the 100-400s f 5.6 aperture, rather than f8 of the 150-600

• @chunhangtang
    @chunhangtang Před 7 měsíci

Great review.

• @modalflip
    @modalflip Před rokem

Have you compared how the 100-400 fares against the newer 70-300 w/ 1.4x TC? The latter seems to produce fairly flat and low-contrast photos for me, and the loss of 1 stop means I'm also shooting higher ISO. I'm debating selling it for the 100-400, especially with how cheap used copies are now.

• @DustinAbbottTWI

I didn't have a 1.4x to use with the 70-300, but I would be hard pressed to think it would outperform this lens with a 1.4x

• @garethmcfarland7244
    @garethmcfarland7244 Před rokem +6

I know you reviewed the Tamron 150-500 on the Sony mount but would be interested to know where you think the Fuji version ranks among the 100-400 & 150-600?

• @DustinAbbottTWI

I'm definitely interested, too. I'm going to get Tamron to send me one when I do the X-H2 review.

• @cy9nvs
      @cy9nvs Před rokem

@@DustinAbbottTWI That would be awesome. There's no quality review of this lens on a new 40MP body. Would be interesting to know if it can make more use of the available resolution, especially at 400 mm and up.

• @gr_br
    @gr_br Před rokem

Can my 1-year old (new) Fujifilm 400mm lens be made smooth again as it was on the first day
    I purchased it? Rotating the focusing ring is very stiff after moderate use in predominantly dry climate that has never been used outdoors in dusty, rainy or snowy conditions. Any feedback would be most appreciated. Thank you!

• @DalsPhotography
    @DalsPhotography Před rokem

One thing that was given to us, was a firmware update for the 100-400 lens! Just download it, and upload it to the camera vía firmware.

• @ZemiEmperor
    @ZemiEmperor Před rokem

Would you say that the overall image quality and AF experience of the 100-400 with a 1.4x teleconverter is quite similar to the 150-600 without the teleconverter?

• @DustinAbbottTWI

I didn't test it with a TC, so I really can't say.

• @peterjackhandy
      @peterjackhandy Před rokem +1

I have, so far, only seen One unbiased, side-by-side comparison of images from both & the difference is not worth the hassle for my usage, taking in the size difference:
      I use Topaz photo ai on almost all of my cropped birding shots these days.

• @rawalkiran1
    @rawalkiran1 Před rokem

Thanx for making this review.... I was considering to upgrade my fuji XH1 to XH2 but was sceptical as how my 100-400 would keep up with 40 megapixels... This helped me to make an decision... 👍. It would be good if I save little more and go for XH2s ....

• @DustinAbbottTWI

That's a legitimate concern.

• @rawalkiran1
      @rawalkiran1 Před rokem

@@DustinAbbottTWI I Love 100-400 focal length... It's very versatile...

• @dandtpatterson
    @dandtpatterson Před 4 měsíci

I’m conflicted on which of these would be best for photographing high school baseball games. I’ve used the Fuji 50-140 f2.8 with 1.4x but want more reach. Most games are daytime but there are certainly night games under the lights. Which of these two would you recommend? I love the idea of the 600m reach but the aperture worries me.

• @dandtpatterson
      @dandtpatterson Před 4 měsíci

I’m currently using the XH1 body

• @DustinAbbottTWI
      @DustinAbbottTWI  Před 4 měsíci

That is tough. I'd probably lean towards this lens because it is faster (brighter). Fuji really needs a MK II version of this lens, but right now that isn't an option.

• @RCGJR_
    @RCGJR_ Před rokem

Would this be good with the xt-30ii (26mp)?

• @DustinAbbottTWI

It's been popular for years on cameras just like that.

• @jakesdewet3567
    @jakesdewet3567 Před rokem +3

I have used this lens for wildlife for the past number of years on the 26 mp bodies. The results are acceptable and at close range very good. But as a past Nikon user, I also used the Nikon 500 pf f5.6 on a fringer adaptor with great results. I have recently replaced the 100-400 with the Tamron 150-500. This is a very good lens, On the long end the f6.7 is a small compromise but much better that the Fuji 150-600 f8. This Fuji lens is not selling well due to the f8. The Tamron 150-500 is really good. With the firmware update from Tamron the focus accuracy working with the Fuji Focus system will enhance this even further. If Tamron can do a 50-150 f2.8 for Fuji it will be a massive hit as the Fuji 150-140 f2.8 needs a serious update. the IS/VR system is old and noisy.
    Tamron is producing great lenses and fantastic to work with.

• @DustinAbbottTWI

Tamron will definitely be a disrupter on the Fuji space in the same way they have on the Sony space.

• @matt88169
      @matt88169 Před 10 měsíci +3

With all due respect I doubt you know the sales figures of the 150-600mm, or any other lens. I also doubt that a slew of new f/6.3 to f/6.7 FF lenses are somehow vastly superior - 2/3rds of a stop is nothing really, and in any case, every super zoom on the market I've researched, including this "old" 100-400mm, look best at about f/8 despite "faster" available apertures. The Fuji is an exception - it is already optimal wide-open. Keep in mind that the pixel density of the 26mp sensor matches about 60 mp on FF - resolution that only recently came to market. The 40mp sensor Abbott is testing is 90-100mp equivalent, which has no FF peer.
      The 150-600 is the only lens in the group I know (non-Fuji, at least) that is made in Japan. It has the broadest focal range (and longest reach, given its competitors are FF designs), it is the lightest, and it is parfocal. It is built amazingly well and the image quality and OIS is killer. It is better at 400mm, and faster, at f/7.1, than the 100-400mm at its "optimal" aperture. As an owner of the 50-140 f/2.8, I can comfortably say that the OIS system works amazingly well and is hardly what I call noisy - but I grant that the 150-600 is a little quieter in a whisper-quiet room. I have no idea what a "serious" update would be since the lens is far and away one of the best Fuji makes with excellent optics to boot. The 100-400, on the other hand, deserves a "serious" update as it is such a useful focal range, and this lens was never particularly outstanding. It should be sharper wide open, as a start, particularly at 400mm. I don't love black paint for outdoor use either - it can get burning hot.
      BTW I use a 26mp sensor as well so I am familiar with "real world" results on these lenses. I think the 150-600 has been dismissed primarily because it requires more skill to use and because LR - which Abbott uses to judge "sharpness", does not actually work or look well with Fuji RAF files by default. With such a volume of reviews to publish, I doubt he has the time or inclination to perfect his edits as he makes his judgements. If I want the best results with landscape and wildlife shots, I have to spend a lot of time tweaking LR's noise and sharpening defaults (this is less an issue in C1, but C1 can't process the noise quite as well, being much more "filmy"). The results are well worth it. All that said, I am glad you like the Tamron - I am sure it is a great lens.

• @jakesdewet3567
      @jakesdewet3567 Před 10 měsíci

@@matt88169 thanks for the lecture in the amazing 150-600 lens.. No wonder they are currently on special at below the 100-400 price, the used sales price is a real bargain for those who want 900 mm FOW at f8. On a 10 day trip to the Kenya with 4 Fuji users, covering the great migration and a Trip to Botswana, not one 150-600, why? f8. shooting early morning and late afternoon the 100-400 was used and 1 person had the 200 ft but to short. So yes, the lens has it's place, but Fuji could have done better with an upgrade on the 100-400 internal focus , f5,6. Compared to FF there is not one 150-600 FOW with f5.6 anding a TC 1.4 and have a great lens.

• @jsjamesok
    @jsjamesok Před rokem +1

I love your cats!

• @Rod-Skinner
    @Rod-Skinner Před 2 měsíci

I think the main reason the 100 to 400 is such a viable option is the number of used ones available at affordable prices making it an incredible option for those joining the Fuji family

• @amitkrupal1234
    @amitkrupal1234 Před rokem +2

Awesome

• @oktait
    @oktait Před rokem

any plans for 26mp sensor review (X-H2) for this lens ?!

• @jaegerschtulmann
      @jaegerschtulmann Před rokem

Xh2 is 40mp! You mean the xh2s

• @DustinAbbottTWI
      @DustinAbbottTWI  Před rokem +2

I would like to review the X-H2S at some point, but I plan to look at the X-H2 first.

• @oktait
      @oktait Před rokem

@@jaegerschtulmann yes, X-H2S of course... not the camera - but said tele options on that camera

• @bachmannmanuel1562
    @bachmannmanuel1562 Před rokem +1

for such an "old" Lens... not a bad performance IMO. I use it on my X-H2, and i think its a pretty good lens still...

• @DustinAbbottTWI

Agreed. The performance holds up pretty well relative to the newer 150-600

• @bill3117
    @bill3117 Před rokem

I'm going whale watching soon on a 137' sailboat. I plan to bring the 100-400mm. Do you think it is up to the task? Or should I just go with my 50-140mm and hope we get closer to the whales (I do have a 1.4X teleconverter. I can either use my XH-1 or XPro3. I through out the XPro3 possibility trying to save a little backpack weight on my old due shoulders. ;)

• @DustinAbbottTWI

I would like the 100-400 better, myself.

• @bill3117
      @bill3117 Před rokem

@@DustinAbbottTWI Good news, at least I fit it in my backpack. I hope it doesn’t get weighed as I carry it on the plane. I read airlines are getting real tough on carry-on luggage.

• @bgrzesiak5996
    @bgrzesiak5996 Před rokem

Fuji Tech in NJ says you are incorrect. There is no add-on benefit from IS in lens and camera. THe T5 uses in-body only, but the switch on the lens DOES disable the body's IS system when on a tripod.

• @DustinAbbottTWI

Perhaps they are right, but I'm not sure how they would determine that, as you can't measure either system in isolation on an IBIS equipped body. Most manufacturers state that the two systems work in concert.

• @bgrzesiak5996
      @bgrzesiak5996 Před rokem

@@DustinAbbottTWI "Perhaps"? I definitely know the technicians at Fujifilm USA in Edison NJ know how this works and say exactly that. Why would anyone second guess the manufacturer's service technicians? Having been a 20 year Fuji Pro Products Tech Rep (now retired) I can tell you these guys know their shit.

• @drs-Rigo-Reus
    @drs-Rigo-Reus Před 3 měsíci

How about optical Q? I’m 8 minutes in and it’s all about centimeters. We can read specs you know.

• @DustinAbbottTWI
      @DustinAbbottTWI  Před 3 měsíci

There is a time stamp on all my videos if you want to jump to something you're interested in.

• @marleenvandam6931
    @marleenvandam6931 Před rokem +1

My experience with these 2 lenses at the long end is that the F 150-600 is much better than than the XF 100-400 which lacks contrast at the long end.that’s the reason I sold the XF 100-500 to buy the new one with no regrets.Also confirmed by a friend of mine.

• @vampolascott36
    @vampolascott36 Před rokem

Loki wanted to be in the show 😂

• @DustinAbbottTWI

It's Nala (Loki was killed by a predator last summer), and she wants to be in every show!

• @M.Redsky
    @M.Redsky Před rokem

who is the woman on the Deutsche mark?

• @Powerland56
      @Powerland56 Před rokem +5

Annette von Droste-Hülshoff (1797-1849) ; en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Annette_von_Droste-H%C3%BClshoff 14:32

• @DustinAbbottTWI

Thanks for the assist, Powerland!

• @jeg569
    @jeg569 Před rokem

I find that my 100-400mm is terrible for acquiring focus on my X-T4, when it eventually does, its only sharp at f9. It feels plasticky with a terrible zoom feel and loose on the camera mount. This is my 2nd copy. I would not recommend this lens. For build quality I prefer my 50-140mm lens.

• @DustinAbbottTWI

That's interesting, though I will say out of the normal experience for owners of this lens. Most of them see quite pleased with it.

• @peterjackhandy
      @peterjackhandy Před rokem +3

You've got a right lemon there!
      I have the 16-55; 50-140 & 100-400 & they're each as good as the other:
      Superb set of lenses.

• @slawomirczajkowski9481

3 tiny screws siting in plastic holding heavy front elements . VERY cheap.

• @DustinAbbottTWI

That's not great.

• @slawomirczajkowski9481
      @slawomirczajkowski9481 Před rokem

@@DustinAbbottTWI I used to reaper many Nikon lenses and I was very disappointed seeing Fantastic Fuji optics and screws sitting in plastic in Fuji lenses same as sigma. Shame

• @FlatulEssence
    @FlatulEssence Před 9 měsíci

I would like to see the kitty tip the lenses down to the floor, lol.