DREAM BUILD GRAVEL BIKE - 1999 Cannondale T700

Sdílet
Vložit
  • čas přidán 26. 11. 2021
  • I've wanted to do this build all summer and finally found the right bike for a good price a few months ago. I bought the Cannondale from a casual rider in Scranton, PA who hadn't ridden in a few years.
    As you can see from the video, the paint started out in great condition and other than very greasy components was in good shape.
    I used the wheels, seat post, and rear cassette from my 2007 CAAD8 road bike, and my plan was to use the groupset from that bike too. I stumbled upon a Shimano 105 5700 groupset on ebay that was priced too low to pass up, so that's how the 105 components wound up on the bike.
    I'll happily answer any questions in the comments! Ride on!
  • Sport

Komentáře • 79

• @amitkumar-wj8gn
    @amitkumar-wj8gn Před 2 lety +13

In a world full of generic back breaking aero madness, this bike is as refreshing as a lemonade on a summer afternoon. M jealous, but also happy for you. Ride well, my online friend!!!

• @madrabbit64
    @madrabbit64 Před rokem +3

The Meguiars hybrid ceramic wax does an amazing job on my older bikes. After a good scrub down, clean and detail it does a phenomenal job on making my older bikes literally look brand new and my black carbon gloss frames look wet…..I love that stuff. Great video, I just did this to a full carbon black 2011 Ridley X Fire and it is a beast in the gravel now. I kept the Avid Shorty canti’s, they work perfectly and I added red anodized hardware everywhere on the bike. Great video, love the bike!

• @kevinborovsky3558
    @kevinborovsky3558 Před 2 lety +6

Great job and a beauty of a bike. That green is so nice and the Cannondale from that era was ahead of its time. Enjoy riding that one 👍

• @theanswer00
    @theanswer00 Před 2 lety +3

Wow, what a bike! I bet it rides beautifully! Congratulations 😁

• @chrismatheson2561
    @chrismatheson2561 Před 2 lety +1

Nice attention to detail. Thank you.

• @user-hi3ot3cn3x
    @user-hi3ot3cn3x Před 2 lety +1

Cool work!

• @semiclean
    @semiclean Před 2 lety +1

Good job ! Ready for a few more spins :)

• @matthewlewis9356
    @matthewlewis9356 Před 7 měsíci

Beautiful build well done 👍

• @vincenzopopone713
    @vincenzopopone713 Před 2 lety +1

Beautiful bike

• @RestorationAustralia
    @RestorationAustralia Před 2 lety +1

Very nice build, looks great.

• @addict21or78
    @addict21or78 Před 2 lety +2

Nice job man! Hello from Greece

• @timothyokoth960
    @timothyokoth960 Před 2 lety +1

Thank you for posting such a nice build. I have such a similar bike and aiming for a gravel built.

• @mattferg84
      @mattferg84  Před 2 lety

Glad you like it! Good luck with your build!

• @RonaX
    @RonaX Před 2 lety +1

Awesome build

• @murphykenji
    @murphykenji Před rokem +1

Nice build.

• @forimollabao
    @forimollabao Před 2 lety +2

Fantástica!!!

• @rlake349
    @rlake349 Před rokem +1

Nice build! And if you need the bars closer you could run a shorter stem with them wide bars.

• @TamBikeOnHotToo
    @TamBikeOnHotToo Před 2 lety +2

Nice one, my dream gravel bike today is currently my project monster gravel bike hehehe

• @rajrante
    @rajrante Před 2 lety +1

I am sure you are so excited and happy while building this bike.. I just built my classic suntour bike and just finished my first 100km ride

• @juanjosegarciaalonso7418
    @juanjosegarciaalonso7418 Před 2 lety +3

Espectacular cuadro actualizado para gravel muy económico felicidades

• @Pedro_Jr_Gravel
      @Pedro_Jr_Gravel Před 2 lety +1

Si , excelente cuadro CANNONDALE.
      Saludos Jose .

• @Pedro_Jr_Gravel
    @Pedro_Jr_Gravel Před 2 lety +1

Pretty cool build video Matt, im working on a build too... just waiting on parts .
    Thanks for the inspiration .

• @sonnyramos7031
    @sonnyramos7031 Před 2 lety +1

nice video all action

• @brv002
    @brv002 Před 2 lety +1

That bike is mint! Well spec'd 👍
    Looking for a similar frame to do the same.

• @mattferg84
      @mattferg84  Před 2 lety +1

Thank you! One piece of advice if you’re looking for one, the later models (2000+ I think on the Cannondale) have a head stem vs the treaded stem on the older touring bikes. A 1.125” threadless fork would’ve given me more options in the build

• @seanbell2067
    @seanbell2067 Před 2 lety +1

Perfect!

• @gunawanprasetyo3543
    @gunawanprasetyo3543 Před rokem +1

nice bike. hello from indonesia

• @liszt1967
    @liszt1967 Před 2 lety +2

Nice! I have this frame but a couple of years newer and did a similar build. One thing that made a big difference in performance was a Shimano/Pro carbon cross fork, which you can find pretty cheap on eBay. Although maybe your frame can't take a 1 1/8 steerer...

• @mattferg84
      @mattferg84  Před 2 lety

That’s a great tip thanks! Unfortunately my frame takes a 1” tube which really limits the options, but I’ve been looking into a workaround

• @ToastbrotRaver
      @ToastbrotRaver Před 2 lety +1

@@mattferg84 I've been thinking about getting a newer 1 1/8"aluminium fork and pressing a 1" steerer to fit my 96 M400. How do you feel about that?

• @mattferg84
      @mattferg84  Před 2 lety

Yes, that’s exactly what I have been thinking as well

• @ToastbrotRaver
      @ToastbrotRaver Před 2 lety

@@mattferg84 I found a pretty cheap one with disc brake mounts the other day, thinking about getting a rear disc brake adapter to try and switch to 650b for better tyre options. Not ideal but I don’t have a huge budget either so might be worth it

• @robertferguson3223
    @robertferguson3223 Před 2 lety +2

I love this build! I’m kind of puzzled though, I have a 2011 synapse which actually came with 25 mm tires. And it doesn’t seem like I can fit anything bigger than a 28
    I’m betting this bike originally came with 23 mm tires? Is it common that an older Cannondale can actually take a wider tire?

• @mattferg84

Thanks Robert! It’s a touring frame so it came with 35mm tires, the 38s fit but just barely in the rear. A good friend has a CAAD9 which is probably really similar to yours, he could fit 28s with just a little room to spare

• @CHIP543
    @CHIP543 Před rokem +1

the rear brake adjusting screw had to be threaded!
    and install heat shrink insulation instead of an aluminum clip on the end of the cable, it spoils the cable

• @Tarmaccyclocross
    @Tarmaccyclocross Před 4 měsíci

Looks great but omg those bars are wide. I use 38cm on a cyclocross bike 👍

• @Neo2906
    @Neo2906 Před rokem +2

Beautiful bike. Way much better than the new gravels on the road.

• @kubaszek82
    @kubaszek82 Před rokem +1

Great bike. I'm having similar brake levers Shimano 105 st 5700 , but I was unable to get a proper braking force with my cantilever brakes (old Shimano Sti and later new tektro). I have tried every possible settings, still nothing. I've read somewhere that those new 105 shifters have slightly longer cable pull. What is your opinion about it?

• @mattferg84
      @mattferg84  Před rokem

Yes I'm sure that's right, I've had no problem braking but I'm riding flat roads and gravel canal paths so they've never really been tested (especially not in cyclocross style conditions)

• @jokawood
    @jokawood Před 7 měsíci +1

Not supposed to use grease with carbon fiber. Hope that crank does not snap on you, either. Besides that, nice build.

• @mattferg84
      @mattferg84  Před 7 měsíci

Is that on the seat post you’re talking about? That’s a good callout thanks for watching!

• @longviewkelsolinesRR644
    @longviewkelsolinesRR644 Před 2 lety +1

I'm planning on fixing up my hybrid

• @mattferg84

I'd recommend it, even just cleaning and re-greasing makes a big difference

• @garyesterly8663
    @garyesterly8663 Před rokem +1

What size stem clamp did you use and did you use your stock forks? Nice build!

• @mattferg84
      @mattferg84  Před rokem

It's an 80mm, 6 degree stem. And yes the forks are stock, they are 1" steerer tube, so I'd have a hard time replacing them

• @paolohuang9935
    @paolohuang9935 Před 10 měsíci

I’m enjoying the bike so far czcams.com/users/postUgkxMesz3KOGEmwmvyKQfLfrRSUXLFzfVHZA My only real complaints are the brakes and the pedals. I feel like a bike designed for bigger people should have much larger pedals and more heavy duty brakes. I’ve only gotten two really good rides out of it, minimal downhill action, and the brakes feel like they’re already going out. A larger person has more momentum, so I think this wasn’t thought through very well. Also, I wear size 13-14 wide shoes. My feet cramp up on these pedals that are clearly made for smaller feet. Since I’m not a pro rider (and I don’t think many are who purchase this bike) I don’t think that the straps on the pedal are necessary at all. None of this takes away from the enjoyment I get from riding, however. I’ll just head to a bike shop to improve on a few things.

• @pacosenderos
    @pacosenderos Před rokem +1

Buen video !!!!. La bici original con ruedas de 26" ?, y has puesto ruedas de carretera 700 c ?

• @mattferg84
      @mattferg84  Před rokem

No, la bicicleta vino originalmente con 700c, este es un cuadro de turismo

• @titusbyzantine4949
    @titusbyzantine4949 Před 2 lety +1

Hello I have this same exact model, it's beat up and needs a good cleaning. What wax/protectant or any cleaner would you recommend for the paint?

• @mattferg84
      @mattferg84  Před 2 lety

I will say mine was in really good shape when I bought it, but I liked using the Meguiar's Hybrid Ceramic Wax. Love it on my cars, and worked really well on this bike

• @lourozabone9129
    @lourozabone9129 Před 10 měsíci

👏👏👏🙌🙌🙌

• @Lestat1795
    @Lestat1795 Před 2 lety +7

Nice build. But the tape job needs a do over!

• @theanswer00
    @theanswer00 Před 2 lety

Isn't it crazy though that this fits 37mm tyres and my CAADX from 2017 doesn't? Do you have any frame rub at the back?

• @mattferg84

That really is surprising, maybe because CX racers are restricted to 33 or 35mm tires? No rub as long as the wheel is properly centered, but it’s close

• @theanswer00
      @theanswer00 Před 2 lety +1

@@mattferg84 I don't know... I don't know if they did this in the 90s, but on later bikes they introduced an asymmetric rear triangle that puts the rear wheel really close to the left chainstay. While this clears space for mud clearance by the front derailleur, it makes it impossible to run wide tyres 😕

• @robertgarcia3748
    @robertgarcia3748 Před 2 lety +1

what crank arms are those? is it a cannondale chainring?

• @mattferg84

It’s from Alibaba, clearly trying to imitate the Cannondale hollowgram crankset. The brand was Goldix at the time I bought it

• @no1toolmkr
    @no1toolmkr Před 2 lety +1

why didn't you thread the mounting hole so that the adjuster also threaded into it as well.

• @mattferg84
      @mattferg84  Před 2 lety

I believe you’re talking about the rear brake cable? The rigidity of the housing actually keeps the adjuster in place perfectly, I expected to fix the adjustment ring to the frame but didn’t need to. The hole in the frame is too big to thread for the adjuster barrel

• @no1toolmkr
      @no1toolmkr Před 2 lety

@@mattferg84 yes, of course it does, i just thought it would look better.

• @hammerhouse153
    @hammerhouse153 Před 2 lety +1

Sorry I thing I don't like about it......Its not mine. I have caad 2 in Cannondale Red but my fav colour is Green. Wanna Swap. Nice Build.

• @jordicarmonamaura1368
    @jordicarmonamaura1368 Před 2 lety +2

what are those wheels and how did you set them up tubeless?

• @jordicarmonamaura1368
      @jordicarmonamaura1368 Před 2 lety +1

Loved the entire video and build

• @mattferg84
      @mattferg84  Před 2 lety

Thank you Jordi! They are the Shimano WH-R500 which came on my CAAD8 road bike. They are really too narrow for the tires to seat well, but with tubeless tape and sealant they've worked well once inflated

• @MrJonas2255
      @MrJonas2255 Před 2 lety +1

@@mattferg84 isn't that frame 135 mm spaced? Those wheels are 130 mm

• @eduardohernando2849
    @eduardohernando2849 Před 2 lety +1

Beautiful build, if is an M and you’re already tired of it, hit me up! ;)
    I’ve been looking for that frame for a while with no success

• @mattferg84
      @mattferg84  Před 2 lety

I appreciate the compliment but I certainly won’t be selling! I really do love the bike, rides as well as I hoped, and off camera I built a new wheel-set this winter

• @eduardohernando2849
      @eduardohernando2849 Před 2 lety +1

@@mattferg84 as I expected, but I had to try! Haha
      Enjoy that beauty!

• @yostmod
    @yostmod Před rokem +1

If im 6ft tall is this bike ok?

• @mattferg84
      @mattferg84  Před rokem

Hey Andy, I'm 6'2.5" and the 58cm fits me perfectly (especially with the shorter stem)

• @oranearnshaw8871
    @oranearnshaw8871 Před 2 lety

😩 P R O M O S M!