Wing Mirror Bracket Replacement VW T5 T5.1

Sdílet
Vložit
  • čas přidán 6. 02. 2021
  • How to replace broken wing mirror bracket on VW T5 , T5.1
    Welcome to my video showing you how to replace a broken wing mirror bracket. It’s pretty easy if you just take your time and for around £10 for a new bracket and some zip ties it’s definitely worth giving it a go yourself.
    Wing Mirror Bracket -Buy Now: amzn.to/4bPztOf
    Cheap Strong Zip ties / cable ties - Buy Now: amzn.to/3VncnsU
    Cheap Torx Socket Set But Now - amzn.to/4aH3ZJd
    T5 T5.1 broken wing mirror.
    T5 T5.1 wing mirror fix.
    T5 T5.1 wing mirror bracket fix.
  • Jak na to + styl

Komentáře • 76

• @morganlloyd8036
    @morganlloyd8036 Před 26 dny +1

Thank you so much for this video. Just finished a job on my passenger wing mirror today and really happy with it and your video really helped. I got some great little wire connectors with solder and shrink wrap that you connect using a lighter. Never joined wires before and that made it very easy and was amazed that everything worked when I’d finished!

• @DossingAroundInBoats
      @DossingAroundInBoats  Před 26 dny

Well done you!! Enjoy every time you look at it knowing you fixed it yourself. 😅👌

• @clivevandenberg
    @clivevandenberg Před rokem +6

The heated mirror cable as lugs on the mirror side, so just unplug it there instead of cutting it off

• @stevedottsings5774
    @stevedottsings5774 Před 2 lety +3

Thanks for making this video. I had to replace this part after a tree jumped out and knocked my passenger side mirror off. Great advice and pretty straight forward to do if you have the confidence. 👍🏼👍🏼

• @simonplausin7968
    @simonplausin7968 Před 8 měsíci +1

Great video. This process is pretty much the same for a T6 wing mirror as well. If you have the DAB antenna in the wing mirror you will need to remove the door card to disconnect it as well. Worth the struggle. Zip tie trick works a treat. Thanks.

• @mannydilworth3473
    @mannydilworth3473 Před 3 lety +6

Thanks so much for posting this video. Just done my driver side fix. The tie wrap tip was very useful along with the help of a vice. Also I used pliers to disconnect the heated mirror connectors so no soldering required. Cheers!

• @DossingAroundInBoats
      @DossingAroundInBoats  Před 3 lety +2

Great work! So satisfying fixing it yourself to avoid a painful garage bill.

• @ronspeed8611
    @ronspeed8611 Před 2 lety +2

Thank you so much for making this video. It really gave me the confidence to do it myself and avoid the hassle and bill of taking to a garage. As others have mentioned, I have an aerial in the passenger side wing mirror so that coax cable broke and I was unable to re-solder. However, I think there is another aerial in the driver side door on my T5.1 as (so far) reception on FM has been fine. Also agree the cable tie tip is genius! Like you removing and re-assembling the two covers was the worst part and managed to break a couple of the (very flimsy) lugs but seems OK anyway.

• @danigarret
    @danigarret Před 7 měsíci

Thanks for the great video! Followed your instructions on my T5 and it worked out just fine.

• @adelaidewinetours
    @adelaidewinetours Před 2 lety +1

great attempt and easy to follow, the cardboard box to rest on and the cable ties trick are the best tips, thanks from Australia

• @wokeupandsmellthecoffee214

Great job. I have a similar issue with my Peugeot 3008 drivers mirror. The robbing bastards at Peugeot want £560 for a new mirror even though the broken part is just this bracket bush thing and they told me they don't supply the bracket so I sourced one on fleabay for £10 and waiting for it to arrive. Fingers crossed with the help of your video I'll save myself a fortune. thanks

• @DossingAroundInBoats
      @DossingAroundInBoats  Před rokem

Wow! That’s extortionate. Definitely worth seeing if you can do the repair yourself.. it’s a great skill to learn because it’s bound to happen again in your lifetime. Believe it or not, it’s happened again to me and this time the nuts sheered off so I’ve had to drill them out and use self tapping screws. Take your time and best of luck!

• @shalveenlawrence2733
    @shalveenlawrence2733 Před 2 lety

Just did mine now. Very helpful video thanks.

• @jeffpoor2371
    @jeffpoor2371 Před 2 lety +1

Thanks for this video ☺️ don't think I could have done it without again the idea with the spring paid off brilliant thanks

• @DossingAroundInBoats
      @DossingAroundInBoats  Před 2 lety +1

Well done mate. A great saving on the wallet. Treat yaself to a create of cold ones.

• @johnhowell6182
    @johnhowell6182 Před 2 lety

Thanks for that, very helpful. Mine also had the antenna for the DAB and GPS in it which was an added complication - they have to be disconnected from inside the van- don’t cut them! They are coaxial and not easy to splice!

• @kevinhatfield5202
    @kevinhatfield5202 Před rokem +1

Very helpful video, one issue I had was using cable ties, tried several times but wouldn’t hold the spring together. I found using an open ended spanner easier, pushed down on the spring with the spanner and my friend put the clip in. 👍

• @benjaminwatts1474
    @benjaminwatts1474 Před rokem +1

This was very helpful thanks. I had to do it a bit backwards. I ended up removing the inside door cover, and removing the wires from the square harness so I could pull all of the wiring out through the metal sleeve, and then replace it. But thankfully it worked, although it was very time consuming.

• @andrewramskill5271
    @andrewramskill5271 Před rokem

Great video, very clear with great tips. Thank you

• @61511com
    @61511com Před 3 lety +1

Cheers for the Video. RAC man said I would need to replace wing mirror £200 !! £13 bracket Amazon 1 hour later sorted. Tie Wraps on spring very clever.

• @adrianbennett3914
    @adrianbennett3914 Před 2 měsíci +1

Nice one, like the commentary, made me chuckle, this part bit more pricey i NZ ( $69 frickin dollars). Looks like a mission but i'm gonna give it go rather than giving the V dub dealership $400

• @DossingAroundInBoats
      @DossingAroundInBoats  Před 2 měsíci

Give it a go haha. It’s a must have job to learn because it’ll no doubt happen again like it did for me. Saves myself loads of money. 😅

• @wiz8931
    @wiz8931 Před 2 lety

Thank you very much, zip tie trick worked perfectly

• @Erictheaviator
    @Erictheaviator Před 3 lety

Thanks for your video. a really expensive repair if I had taken it to VW.

• @MrSupercharger99
    @MrSupercharger99 Před 3 lety

Thanks for the spring tip had it sussed until I got to that, was thinking the same as you boom shoot across the workshop. Not as powerful as it looks 👍

• @shalveenlawrence2733
    @shalveenlawrence2733 Před 2 lety

Ordering my part from ebay and thanks to this video ill do it myself.

• @stevenheath741
    @stevenheath741 Před rokem +1

Thanks for this …..just did the same on my Amorok worked out great so very happy just have to remove the Gaffa tape residue…
    😊

• @MrJustinhumphrey
    @MrJustinhumphrey Před 3 lety

Perfect! Thank you for this post. Need to do mine and is more involved than I had first thought. Brilliant commentary too! :) Ha!

• @MrJustinhumphrey
      @MrJustinhumphrey Před 3 lety

Bastard thing took 2 hours. Main issue was depressing the bastard spring to slip the clip back in. Should have used zip ties BEFORE removing the clip from the broken bracket in the first place. The heated mirror wire could be unplugged from the glass. Had to cut the aerial wire though. Nuisance as I couldn't re-join it. Thanks again for the vid. Very helpful.

• @robertmorris4784
    @robertmorris4784 Před rokem

Thanks mate, very helpful. Liked and subscribed.

• @DavidGarcia-kf9wo
    @DavidGarcia-kf9wo Před 7 měsíci +1

Thanks mate

• @petersantangelo8675
    @petersantangelo8675 Před rokem

Great video. Thank you.

• @danmccabe9318
    @danmccabe9318 Před 2 lety +2

Thanks mate your vid just came in super handy🤙 haha zip ties worked a treat. pretty sure I lost patience and broke every clip trying to put the cover on 😁

• @JBSeymour
    @JBSeymour Před rokem

very helpful video. Always good to see how someone else did it thank you. Mapped or Routed the cables 😁

• @DossingAroundInBoats
    @DossingAroundInBoats  Před 9 měsíci

Glad to here it!

• @jpmty9062
    @jpmty9062 Před 9 měsíci

great video, defo helped!

• @daveg00
    @daveg00 Před 2 lety

great work it worked for me too thanks using the zip ties, i only dropped the f bombs getting the covers back on, but the clips were probably broken anyway before i got to it.

• @Muhammadr3625
    @Muhammadr3625 Před 3 lety

Thanks for the video - exactly what I was looking for.
    Anyone have any luck locating the part for a VW Golf? For some reason, comes up using “ VW T5.1 transporter wing mirror repair” for the transporter but nothing for a golf

• @bamb1000
    @bamb1000 Před 2 lety

Great cheers

• @nikkihensley4718
    @nikkihensley4718 Před 2 lety +1

Can your mirrors be tucked in electronically ? We have a 2006 caravelle and the same issue on passenger side, wanting to self fix

• @DossingAroundInBoats
      @DossingAroundInBoats  Před 2 lety

Mine are manual.. must be pretty similar though.. give it a go, what’s the worst that can happen. :)

• @elqwan
    @elqwan Před 3 lety +4

You could have just disconnected the heated wires from the mirror. Those connections just pull off. Eitherway you got the job done.

• @cannister7able
    @cannister7able Před 4 měsíci

I followed this to fix my driver's side last year but I just broke my passenger side too and so I ordered the same part but when I've taken it apart, it looks different. There's a spring but I can't see the c-clip and the part I'm replacing doesn't have the wide base.
    Does anyone know if the driver and passenger side are different?

• @egservices-plumbingandheat5570

I have done mine. no need to cut the glass cable, you just remove the cable logs from the mirror glass.

• @newbahat2376
    @newbahat2376 Před rokem

Hey I the same problem with my right side mirror and I need the part how to order

• @patrickrizzo835
    @patrickrizzo835 Před 3 lety

Hi, thanks for the video. is the bracket the same for left/right mirror? Or is there some slight difference?

• @Katebrown270
    @Katebrown270 Před rokem

Hey, I missed the zip tie spring clip, now really struggling to get the spring back on, any tips please?

• @DossingAroundInBoats

Not sure what you mean? Are you struggling to compress the spring? If you don’t have any zip ties then maybe try string or an old shoelace maybe?

• @jamesedwards3266
    @jamesedwards3266 Před 2 lety +1

I’ve just had the part delivered and I’m going to have a go later on. I’ll let you know how I get on.

• @DossingAroundInBoats
      @DossingAroundInBoats  Před 2 lety

Just take your time mate, enjoy the process with lots of tea and biscuits!

• @jamesedwards3266
      @jamesedwards3266 Před 2 lety +2

Well what a fricken nightmare that was. My mirror was the near side and it’s got the radio aerial inside. So glad I watched your video and the comment about disconnecting the heated mirror. There was no connection for the small coaxial cable for the radio so I had to snip it and solder it together before fitting heat shrink on the inner then the outer parts of the cable. Very pleased with the result and glad I saved a few quid in garage fees. 👍👍👍

• @DossingAroundInBoats
      @DossingAroundInBoats  Před 2 lety +1

@@jamesedwards3266 great work. Dub skills! Hopefully doesn’t happen again.

• @shygravy
    @shygravy Před rokem

Anyone know what size the bolts are for connecting the bracket? Someone has glued my wing mirror back on so I don’t have the bolts.

• @DossingAroundInBoats

Let me know if you do find out. Mine sheered off 2nd time my wind Murrow was hit. Ended up resorting to some self tappers.

• @microbabylon
    @microbabylon Před 3 lety +1

awesome job mate, could you please share the part number for that bracket please? exactly what i need right now as wife just clipped one off last night 😂😂

• @laurahind4313
    @laurahind4313 Před 3 lety

What did you do about disconnecting the radio aerial?

• @DossingAroundInBoats
      @DossingAroundInBoats  Před 3 lety

Radio aerial? Lol no idea.. ! Lol

• @laurahind4313
      @laurahind4313 Před 3 lety +5

@@DossingAroundInBoats no worries. Managed to sort it but it was quite a faff.
      Just incase anyone else has this issue, Sorted it by taking the door card off, disconnecting it there and then feeding the radio cables back the other way.
      Essentially, mine had 3 main cables going through the replacement part but the radio parts were too large to feed through the hole.

• @gmrhymer2624
      @gmrhymer2624 Před rokem

Exactly what I was wondering! Got to that bit & realised I couldn't feed it through the hole. And didn't want to remove the door card so just cut it & tried to re-join it later! Thanks for the helpful video tho @Handyman Handyman

• @Rob-jg6wd
    @Rob-jg6wd Před rokem

FYI. The heated mirror wires un-plug from the glass. No need to cut.

• @4ndy65
      @4ndy65 Před rokem +1

Thats where i got confused. Pretty sure as you say unplugging the 2 mirror wires works The same as all modern vags

• @airgunmaduk5235
    @airgunmaduk5235 Před rokem +1

screws are f***ing massive 🤣🤣🤣