Automatic to manual transmission conversion including upgrading to T5

Sdílet
Vložit
  • čas přidán 4. 03. 2021
  • Part 2 - Converting my 68 mustang from an Automatic to Manual transmission as well as upgrading to a T5 World class.

Komentáře • 27

• @JoDaddysGarage
    @JoDaddysGarage Před 3 lety +1

Great information. I use counter-sinks that we called "suicide bits" in the airline industry. They had no stop mechanism. They were called that because they were high risk on a fuselage.

• @68mustangrestoration34
      @68mustangrestoration34  Před 3 lety

LOL.. I can imagine drilling through with a big bit. I had the same concern and stopped shorter than I wanted .

• @joeg3520
    @joeg3520 Před 3 lety +1

Thank you for this info. I am doing the same conversion on my 68.

hopefully I provided enough information on the conversion. Let me know if you need any other detail.

• @skipwilliams197
    @skipwilliams197 Před rokem

awesome vid..

• @amiamso
    @amiamso Před 3 lety +2

Looks like it’s all coming together nicely. That pivot adaptor seems a bit pricey for such a simple part, but it’s always a choice.... do I spend the time to make one or the money to buy one. Great video Wally! Thanks for sharing.

I agree and I have manufactured a number of pieces but personally I had no idea how this worked until I got it. so in retrospect if I knew how it worked a simply bridge metal piece would work BUT this was easy to install (as you saw) so you are right we have to weigh cost with effort. That discretionary spend always creeps up.

• @fdwsr71
    @fdwsr71 Před 2 měsíci +1

If you have time I would like to know the parts list you have to do this fulcrum conversion. I have the Transmission and Bell Housing only.

@68mustangrestoration34  Před 2 měsíci +1

I purchased all of the parts from CJ Pony, First is the fulcrum block part TRA-656-525. this is the piece that you have to mount into your new bell housing the create the pivot. (as described in this video) NOw , all of the rest of the parts needed are specific to the engine. They are all different based on 6cyl, small block v8 or big block V8.So what i did is go to CJ Pony parts and look at their conversion kits, yes I know they include the transmission and the bellhousing, BUT what I did is look at all the parts in the kit and ordered ONLY the parts I needed as like yourself I also had the transmission and the bellhousing. Make sure you order the transmission mounting bracket as that was a perfect fit. let me know if you have any questions

• @johntylor8550
    @johntylor8550 Před 3 lety +2

How much does a conversion like this cost? The C4 in my 67 is getting pretty tired, and I'm thinking of swapping it out for a T5 instead of rebuilding it.

@68mustangrestoration34  Před 3 lety +1

I would say I am at about 1,900 US for the swap. Now the BIG variable is the transmission. I found a 1987 T5 World class for 400.00. of course I needed a bell housing,(250) flywheel, (300) clutch (220) , then you need ALL the clutch parts from mustang supplier including clutch pedal, linkages, springs PLUS you need new brake pedal (narrow one) so that is about 500. now if you get a newer transmission you must replace the input shaft because after 94 the input shaft of T5 is longer. and finally a new transmission mount (150) Oh and a lot of effort. Now, it really depends on your usage, mine is going to be a driver so wanted overdrive either as Auto or standard. Now , not sure what your use is but IF you are going to replace transmission anyway (either manual or automatic might I suggest you swap it for an overdrive transmission. not sure what your RPM's are at highway speed but OD will help.

• @IsaacMorales12
      @IsaacMorales12 Před 2 lety +1

@@68mustangrestoration34 where did you find that 87 t5 on.. a junkyard mustang? looking to do the same on my 67 cougar.

@68mustangrestoration34  Před 2 lety

@@IsaacMorales12 UP here in Canada we have a classified Ad website called Kijiji. Similar to Ebay it is a place people can put their stuff on sale. I got lucky in that this person took out his World class from 87 Mustang and went with a TKO 600 after engine upgrade.

• @skipwilliams197
    @skipwilliams197 Před rokem +1

i'm looking to do the same with a '69 302... any chance of posting your parts list???

@68mustangrestoration34  Před rokem

Since my conversion is from Automatic to Manual, so I had to literally buy everything to convert this. Let's start at the beginning, this is a 68 289 C code car but comes with a 302 block and heads. First I found my Transmission, it is a 1984 T5 World Class with the short input shaft (watch out as 95 and newer transmissions have a longer input shaft by 11/16th ) next I needed bellhousing, spacer plate, flywheel and clutch kit. All bought from Jegs.com clutch kit# 555-60090 (comes with pressure plate, disk, throw out and pilot bushing and has 10 tooth 1 1/16 spline, next is spacer plate # 555-60940 then bellhousing is 397-M-6392-E and finally flywheel is #228-1628981 (IMPORTANT- Flywheel MUST BE 157 tooth for Small block, also 28Oz balance to match the crank balancer. Everything else for the clutch including pedal, all the springs, rods, forks, brackets are all from CJPony parts. The PIVOT mount is part TRA-656-525 to convert new bell housing to a push type clutch fork. let me know if you need the parts for ALL the clutch linkages (there are about 20 pieces). The key is the input shaft length of the transmission as you might need an adapter plate

• @elbinhojoan536
    @elbinhojoan536 Před rokem

Do you think than i could do that on my t45 i mounted in my F100 73 with motor 302, actually works with cable, i know than the belhousing is different than this one that you show it.

@68mustangrestoration34  Před rokem

I cannot find the specs on the t45 regarding input shaft length so I cannot tell you if it will work. I know that the modern tremmec T5 will NOT work with this bellhousing but since you say the t45 does work your 73 302 set up that should be the same bell housing I have. Again, check which bellhousing you have in the truck as that apparently works with the t45

• @davidmaughon5303
    @davidmaughon5303 Před 3 lety

Can you send part numbers , great video

To be clear, my conversion is from Automatic to Manual, so I had to literally buy everything to convert this. Let's start at the beginning, this is a 68 289 C code car but comes with a 302 block and heads. First I found my Transmission, it is a 1984 T5 World Class with the short input shaft (watch out as 95 and newer transmissions have a longer input shaft by 11/16th ) next I needed bellhousing, spacer plate, flywheel and clutch kit. All bought from Jegs.com clutch kit# 555-60090 (comes with pressure plate, disk, throw out and pilot bushing and has 10 tooth 1 1/16 spline, next is spacer plate # 555-60940 then bellhousing is 397-M-6392-E and finally flywheel is #228-1628981 (IMPORTANT- Flywheel MUST BE 157 tooth for Small block, also 28Oz balance. Everything else for the clutch including pedal, all the springs, rods, forks, brackets are all from CJPony parts. The PIVOT mount is part TRA-656-525 to convert new bell housing to a push type clutch fork. let me know if you need the parts for ALL the clutch linkages (there are about 20 pieces)

• @davidmaughon5303

@@68mustangrestoration34 No thanks mine is a straight shift I jus really needed the fork bracket because I’m going T 5 trans thank you very much.

@@davidmaughon5303 Ah ok, if you are simply swapping toploader for T5 you should only need the adapter plate

• @davidmaughon5303

@@68mustangrestoration34 I have a t 5 out of 87 5.0 that should hook without adapter plate right?

• @davidmaughon5303

I’m changing from 3 speed

• @macs65mustangrestoration
    @macs65mustangrestoration Před 3 lety +2

Great video. Thinking of doing the same on my 65 Fastback. Make a video when you dial in the bell housing to engine.

since this is a ford bell housing I was not concerned BUT since you mention it , it is always a good thing to at least verify. I had to do it for my scatter shield on my 347 but I HOPE it is fine here considering there are NO adjustments on the ford Bell housing. My 347 had offset dowels to "tune" the runout until I was dead zero.

• @macs65mustangrestoration
      @macs65mustangrestoration Před 3 lety

Thanks for the reply. I have been doing some research and most videos on this swap point out the need to dial in the bell housing to engine. Once again great video and keep them coming.