etrailer | Curt T-Connector Vehicle Wiring Harness Installation - 2015 Ford Transit T150

Sdílet
Vložit
  • čas přidán 3. 03. 2022
  • Click for more info and reviews of this CURT Custom Fit Vehicle Wiring:
    www.etrailer.com/Custom-Fit-V...
    www.etrailer.com
    Don’t forget to subscribe!
    / etrailertv
    Full transcript: www.etrailer.com/tv-install-c...
    Presenter Hey, everybody. How's it going Today, we're gonna be going over the CURT T-connector trailer wiring harness here on our 2015 Ford Transit T-150. So a trailer wiring harness is gonna be one of the few things that you need in order to tow a trailer with your T-150. You're also gonna need a trailer hitch as well as a ball mount and hitch ball. Now, the trailer wiring harness is a pretty basic design and function. It's simply gonna transfer the signals from the vehicle here to the trailer.
    Those signals are gonna be the stop and turn signal circuits for both sides, as well as the running light circuit. The stop and turn signal circuits are carried on the same wire for most trailers in the US. As we said, pretty simple and basic design. Depending on what trailer you're towing, if you're towing a travel trailer, a lot of the time, those trailers can actually block the taillights on the vehicle, which is why we need some way to transfer those signals. It's also a legal requirement in every state.
    So this particular trailer wiring kit here comes with a four-way flat, also referred to as a four-pole. Now, keep in mind, this is gonna be the most common type of trailer connector so more than likely the one you're gonna need. There is another one that's used quite often, and that's a seven-way trailer connector. However, that's really only gonna be for those larger trailers with electric brakes. If you have one of those, you're still gonna need this, but you're also gonna need an adapter to convert that to a seven-way, which we carry here at etrailer.
    So this particular kit does utilize a powered module. Now, what that means is we do have to run a power wire from the rear to the front. And I know that's kind of a hassle, but it's really all in good purpose, because the reason for this power wire is it's gonna protect the lights on our vehicle if there's any issues on the trailer and vice versa. We don't have to worry about a short on one side affecting the other. So in regards to installation, this one is very simple.
    You really don't need any special tools, just a common toolbox is probably gonna have most of what we need. Maybe some wire crimpers and strippers. If you don't have those, you can pick those up here at etrailer along with our wiring kit. We have some cost-effective options for you guys. But aside from that, the bulk of the installation is just running the wire. It doesn't require any splicing, so no modifications or anything like that. But with that being said, let's go ahead and walk you through this now. We can give ourselves about an hour or two to complete this. So to start our installation today, we need to open up the back doors on our Transit van. We're actually gonna be removing the driver side taillight assembly. So inside here, we're gonna have two Torx screws. We'll remove those both with a T20 Torx bit. Once we get those both out, we should be able to pull the taillight assembly out away from the vehicle. I'm gonna jump on the other side there though, so we have a little bit more room. So our taillight is being a little stubborn there at the bottom, so we're just gonna come back with a trim panel tool there and pry it out like so. Now, once we get it away here, we're gonna have a wiring connector we need to undo down here. There should be a little tab on there. We'll just simply press that. Sometimes, if there's a lot of crud or dirt in there, they can kinda hold on. They don't wanna release. So we may need to use some sort of tool to depress it. The next thing we're gonna do is we're gonna take our wiring harness here. We're gonna be grabbing the two connectors that have the yellow wire. So we're gonna be passing these from the inside to the outside here in the taillight pocket. So in order to do that, we need to cut a slit in this grommet. Now, this customer already has something running to the outside of the vehicle. I'm not sure what that is, but he already has the grommet cut, so we're just gonna go ahead and expand that cut a little bit longer. That way, we can get our connectors out. That should be good. But what I'm gonna do now is there's gonna be a pocket right inside here. We'll just reach around and push the connectors out through the grommet. The grommet may pop out, that's totally fine. Got one through here. Try to pull the other one. Looks like the grommet's just gonna come out, so that's fine. Now, we've got the other one out there. Let me go ahead and re-seat the grommet here. And what I'm gonna do is I'm gonna take the factory connector. I'm gonna plug it in. It should only go in one way to our harness u

Komentáře • 4

• @blakereeves3530
    @blakereeves3530 Před rokem

Is the power wire to the battery necessary for operation or is it a safety to protect the brake lights

• @etrailer
      @etrailer  Před rokem +2

A powered taillight converter like the Curt # C56327 won't function unless it's connected to a power source. Per the instructions, the connection needs to be made to the positive battery terminal. We'll link to an article that explains how to make that connection.
      www.etrailer.com/Custom-Fit-Vehicle-Wiring/CURT/C56327.html
      www.etrailer.com/faq-Routing-a-Power-Wire.aspx

• @Magicinstalls
      @Magicinstalls Před 9 měsíci

Or any 12 volt that can support the load. I see no sense in running a wire all the way to the battery when I can just tap on to the amp circuit.

• @Magicinstalls
    @Magicinstalls Před 9 měsíci

I don't understand why you don't just tap into the tail lights. Is it because you don't want to tap into any wires? Using those click and connectors does make it easy, but very expensive to have to run that module.